Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blaze pink
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36339028

Quote:Laws to permit the colour "blaze pink" for hunters have been proposed in five states in the US. How did this become a legislative trend?

As the legislative session drew to a close last week at the Minnesota state capitol, a curious piece of legislation became the focus of ire for lawmakers - a bill to make something called "blaze pink" legal for hunters to wear.

"Midnight - 24 hrs to go. Voting AGAIN on blaze pink," complained Minnesota Representative Diane Loeffler on Twitter.

"Taking up $1 billion+ dollar bonding bill with 42 minutes to go in session," wrote Zach Rodvold, director of external affairs for the DFL Caucus. "Good thing we talked about blaze pink three times though."

While "blaze pink" became a stand-in for government dysfunction in Minnesota, it is also a peculiar new legislative trend in the US - five states have considered or passed a version of the bill so far.

In many states, it is required that big game hunters wear "blaze orange" garments - an eye-catching, fluorescent colour - to help them see one another in the field and prevent accidental shootings.

Last spring, Wisconsin Representative Nick Milroy had the idea that "blaze pink" might also be an acceptable safety colour as well as a way to get some new blood into the sport.

He even got a textile scientist at a local university to investigate whether there were any safety concerns.

"The fastest growing segment in new recruits into hunting are females, and that's one of the big reasons that companies have been marketing things like pink camouflage, pink guns, pink knives," he says.

Participation in hunting in the US has been on the decline for decades, and the sport is overwhelmingly dominated by men.

But not everyone likes the concept. Not long after Milroy held a news conference with a bipartisan contingent of supporters wearing "Hunt Pink" shirts, a women's hunting group in Wisconsin made their own shirts with the phrase crossed out on a more traditional green camouflage print. The group felt that the blaze pink bill was sexist for suggesting women would take up hunting just because of the new colour choice.

"We felt like it was demeaning to us," said Sarah Ingle, president of the Women's Hunting and Sporting Association, to National Geographic.

"My response is nobody has to wear blaze pink, and everybody can wear blaze pink," Milroy said. "This isn't something that's specifically tailored for specific sexes or ages or whatever."

Despite the objections, the bill passed the Wisconsin legislature and was signed into law by Governor Scott Walker in February. Soon after, legislators in Minnesota, Louisiana, New York and Colorado all introduced blaze pink bills.

This came across my Twitter feed and I found it rather interesting. Yea or nay on this? Do you think it is sexist? Do you think pink would be as effective as orange?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
After not hunting for about two decades, I decided last fall to give turkey hunting a try with a bow. So far, all turkeys are safe. That said, I'd prefer orange. It's a universal "don't shoot this" color, people already recognize it.

And while I hate slippery slope arguments, what happens when it's not a clothing company (or whoever) lobbying Minnesota? What happens when we've got "blaze blue" sponsored by the video game, or "blaze red" because Coke wants to market brand-themed hunting gear?

If girls want to wear pink camo stuff, go for it. Of all the women I know that hunt, I've never heard one complain about wearing orange.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Quote:Last spring, Wisconsin Representative Nick Milroy had the idea that "blaze pink" might also be an acceptable safety colour as well as a way to get some new blood into the sport.

Is recruiting new hunters a State Representative's job?

Quote:"The fastest growing segment in new recruits into hunting are females, and that's one of the big reasons that companies have been marketing things like pink camouflage, pink guns, pink knives," he says.

Participation in hunting in the US has been on the decline for decades, and the sport is overwhelmingly dominated by men.

But not everyone likes the concept. Not long after Milroy held a news conference with a bipartisan contingent of supporters wearing "Hunt Pink" shirts, a women's hunting group in Wisconsin made their own shirts with the phrase crossed out on a more traditional green camouflage print. The group felt that the blaze pink bill was sexist for suggesting women would take up hunting just because of the new colour choice.

"We felt like it was demeaning to us," said Sarah Ingle, president of the Women's Hunting and Sporting Association, to National Geographic.

"My response is nobody has to wear blaze pink, and everybody can wear blaze pink," Milroy said. "This isn't something that's specifically tailored for specific sexes or ages or whatever."

So the marketing is specifically directed at female customers, but this isn't specifically tailored for a specific sex?  Really?
I suppose the questions I have are why would it take so long to say yes, as long as the color is highly visible and how hard do you have to try to be offended to find this offensive?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-24-2016, 08:39 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Is recruiting new hunters a State Representative's job?
Anything that brings revenue to the sate should be a State Representative's job.

(05-24-2016, 08:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Anything that brings revenue to the sate should be a State Representative's job.

Anything?

You bring up a good point.
(05-24-2016, 08:51 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Anything?

Yes

As a Surveyor, i.e. a guy that spends a ton of time in the woods looking for stuff, I have to say that Blaze Pink should be accepted. There is most definitely a reason that my profession uses pink ribbon to mark property corners and specific land features, it is easily the most recognizable color that stands out in the woods. We also have orange, along with other colors of ribbon, but they are just not nearly as easy to find in dense foliage.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-24-2016, 08:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As a Surveyor, i.e. a guy that spends a ton of time in the woods looking for stuff, I have to say that Blaze Pink should be accepted.  There is most definitely a reason that my profession uses pink ribbon to mark property corners and specific land features, it is easily the most recognizable color that stands out in the woods.  We also have orange, along with other colors of ribbon, but they are just not nearly as easy to find in dense foliage.

In the military we had/have something known as a VS-17 panel. We used it for things such as marking landing zones and anything we needed something to stand out from above. It was about a 2'x6' piece of nylon that was "blaze orange" on one side and "blaze pink" on the other side. We called the pink side "California Red". I doubt that's allowed anymore, because someone was offended. 

I might as well add this story.
Can't hunt without beer, right ?
Ninja
(I don't hunt, but hear tell of drinking)

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/05/24/do-women-really-need-beer-made-just-for-them/
(05-24-2016, 08:39 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Is recruiting new hunters a State Representative's job?

For some states its significant income. Illinois I know tacks on a lot of fees for hunters, from licenses mostly. Representatives should be focused on bringing in revenue.

That said, I still dont like blaze pink, as previously stated.
I don't see what the issue is. Unless you're hunting flamingo.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
(05-24-2016, 08:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As a Surveyor, i.e. a guy that spends a ton of time in the woods looking for stuff, I have to say that Blaze Pink should be accepted. There is most definitely a reason that my profession uses pink ribbon to mark property corners and specific land features, it is easily the most recognizable color that stands out in the woods. We also have orange, along with other colors of ribbon, but they are just not nearly as easy to find in dense foliage.

I always see the ribbon when it is all faded and hard to see, so I wasn't thinking of it as all that effective. LOL

As for my opinions on this all, I really don't care much. I think there is a bit of contradictory information about it, some talking about this existing to bring in women, others saying it has nothing to do with that. As long as it is effective to the same degree as blaze orange, at least, then I am fine with it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-24-2016, 08:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I suppose the questions I have are why would it take so long to say yes, as long as the color is highly visible and how hard do you have to try to be offended to find this offensive?

idk, you seem to be the expert on being offended by stuff
People suck
Sexist? No. Tailoring something to appeal to a certain sex isn't sexist. I don't see it being effective in recruiting new hunters though. I don't think people decide to hunt based on the colors they can wear.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-25-2016, 10:09 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Sexist? No. Tailoring something to appeal to a certain sex isn't sexist. I don't see it being effective in recruiting new hunters though. I don't think people decide to hunt based on the colors they can wear.

Eh, depends on the definition you look at. If it is based on stereotyping, it is sexist by most definitions I have seen.

(05-25-2016, 10:31 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Eh, depends on the definition you look at. If it is based on stereotyping, it is sexist by most definitions I have seen.

OK then let's say it's not sexist in a bad way.  Clothing manufacturers make lots of women's clothing in pink, and I've yet to hear anyone refer to it as sexist.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-25-2016, 10:38 AM)michaelsean Wrote: OK then let's say it's not sexist in a bad way.  Clothing manufacturers make lots of women's clothing in pink, and I've yet to hear anyone refer to it as sexist.  

Wait wait wait - pink is for women?

Excuse me gentlemen - I have to go trim my shirt drawer down.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
(05-25-2016, 10:44 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Wait wait wait - pink is for women?

You owe me one.

(05-25-2016, 10:44 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Wait wait wait - pink is for women?

Interestingly enough, pink being associated with women is a 20th century turn of events. In the 19th century and earlier 20th the societal norm was pink for boys. Red was seen as a man's color (a holdover from England, the color of uniforms being red) and so a lighter version, pink, being for young men/boys.