Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blocked XP
(09-12-2022, 03:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That would be Mr. “elite blocker” Drew Sample. Also known as one of my least favorite Bengals draft picks ever.

The more pics and angles I see online, the more I think it was a TD.

[Image: FcazPe1WIAEf1YG?format=jpg&name=large]

The ref is looking directly at it and still blows the call
Reply/Quote
I didn't think of this, but Wilcox is a TE. Was Sample filling in for him?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I didn't think of this, but Wilcox is a TE. Was Sample filling in for him?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I asked this question earlier......Lap answered it on the Eddie and Rocky Show. Yes, Sample usually plays on the right, and he slid into Wilcox's spot, and someone replaced him on the right.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Why in the heck would Sample help double
On the edge and give Minka a free run
Please cut Sample and sign Jared Cook
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:02 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: The snap was fine just slow which gave him a chance to get through to block it, not that the blocking was up to much.

On the missed FG I think he tried to put a bit more on it which is why it came out high.

I'm not buying "the snap was slow" excuse.  How much slower could it have been.....one. maybe 2/10ths of a second?  The reason the XP was blocked was because no one touched Fitzpatrick.  The slow snap excuse is laughable.  Not laughing at you because I'm sure you're getting it from what the "pros" are saying, I'm just laughing at the excuse.
Reply/Quote
From Darrin Simmons:

"The execution of the snap and the hold and you watch the kick, the kick was perfect," Simmons said of the PAT. "Evan's timing was perfect. That had nothing to do with the snap. That was all about the protection. It wouldn't matter if Clark Harris would have been in there on that one it still would have been blocked.

"The (field goal) snap was a little higher than Mitch wanted it to be, but I expect Kevin and Evan to execute that play 90 percent of the time. I think because it was a little high that's not something that Clark or Cal usually do. It was a little high, Kevin had to reach up for it a little bit, and that's something Evan hasn't seen, because that doesn't happen on a normal day-to-day basis."

On the blocked PAT, Simmons said he replaced tight end Hayden Hurst on the left wing with tight end Drew Sample on Sunday because of the Steelers' penchant for moving around on field-goal block. Sample, in his fourth season, has seen many more of those looks than Hurst, in his first Bengals season.

"(Sample) is somebody that has blocked on critical field goals for us over time. I felt probably more comfortable having him over there (on the left wing) than somebody hadn't done it before for us in Hayden," Simmons said. "I moved Drew over (from right wing) thinking that he would hold in there and do exactly what we've done, but he didn't block it exactly the way we want it blocked. There are two guys over there, he's not the only one at fault that's for sure."

Simmons, who said it was less than 25 percent Sample's fault, appeared to be talking about the left tackle, Hakeem Adeniji.

https://www.bengals.com/news/media
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Simmons, who said it was less than 25 percent Sample's fault, appeared to be talking about the left tackle, Hakeem Adeniji.

I don't see how Adeniji is to blame.  He was already blocking two guys.  Is he supposed to block three guys?  I wouldn't put the blame on Adeniji for this one.

If Sample just blocks the inside guy, nobody gets to the kicker.  The defender on the outside would have to go around and would never make it.  
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:14 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I don't see how Adeniji is to blame.  He was already blocking two guys.  Is he supposed to block three guys?  I wouldn't put the blame on Adeniji for this one.

If Sample just blocks the inside guy, nobody gets to the kicker.  The defender on the outside would have to go around and would never make it.  

Simmons inferred it was mainly Adeniji. He also pulled Hurst for Samples experience.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: From Darrin Simmons:

"The execution of the snap and the hold and you watch the kick, the kick was perfect," Simmons said of the PAT. "Evan's timing was perfect. That had nothing to do with the snap. That was all about the protection. It wouldn't matter if Clark Harris would have been in there on that one it still would have been blocked.

"The (field goal) snap was a little higher than Mitch wanted it to be, but I expect Kevin and Evan to execute that play 90 percent of the time. I think because it was a little high that's not something that Clark or Cal usually do. It was a little high, Kevin had to reach up for it a little bit, and that's something Evan hasn't seen, because that doesn't happen on a normal day-to-day basis."

On the blocked PAT, Simmons said he replaced tight end Hayden Hurst on the left wing with tight end Drew Sample on Sunday because of the Steelers' penchant for moving around on field-goal block. Sample, in his fourth season, has seen many more of those looks than Hurst, in his first Bengals season.

"(Sample) is somebody that has blocked on critical field goals for us over time. I felt probably more comfortable having him over there (on the left wing) than somebody hadn't done it before for us in Hayden," Simmons said. "I moved Drew over (from right wing) thinking that he would hold in there and do exactly what we've done, but he didn't block it exactly the way we want it blocked. There are two guys over there, he's not the only one at fault that's for sure."

Simmons, who said it was less than 25 percent Sample's fault, appeared to be talking about the left tackle, Hakeem Adeniji.

Highsmith's sole responsibility on that play was to knock Adeniji's arm down to allow Fitz through the line. I'm going to have to assume that they told the outside guy to go wide to draw Sample out. 

It's a simple case of being outcoached. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Highsmith's sole responsibility on that play was to knock Adeniji's arm down to allow Fitz through the line. I'm going to have to assume that they told the outside guy to go wide to draw Sample out. 

It's a simple case of being outcoached. 

The SB is another example. And the Steelers overloaded a side too.

We're going to see that until Zac adjusts on offense.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Simmons inferred it was mainly Adeniji. He also pulled Hurst for Samples experience.

Simmons needs to pull his head out of his ass and stop talking shit. 

Harris/Huber/Shooter, from snap to kick is 1.2 seconds or less. 
Wilcox/Huber/Shooter, from snap to kick was 1.3 seconds+. 

It's the coaches job to make sure his guys know what to do. Sample went way too wide and Adeniji had his arm knocked down by Highsmith to allow Fitzpatrick to go through untouched. It was a perfect play by Pitt and Simmons didn't have his guys prepared well enough. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:08 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Simmons needs to pull his head out of his ass and stop talking shit. 

Harris/Huber/Shooter, from snap to kick is 1.2 seconds or less. 
Wilcox/Huber/Shooter, from snap to kick was 1.3 seconds+. 

It's the coaches job to make sure his guys know what to do. Sample went way too wide and Adeniji had his arm knocked down by Highsmith to allow Fitzpatrick to go through untouched. It was a perfect play by Pitt and Simmons didn't have his guys prepared well enough. 

That sums it up perfectly. 
Reply/Quote