Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bobby Hart Re-Signed
Bobby Hart caused the Bengals' offense to move backwards almost as much as Joe Mixon moved it forwards.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You just attributed statements to me from various posts you've had with other posters.

Hart and Uzoma are both backups who we overpaid. Overpaying backups is foolish and shouldn't be used as some badge of honor.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 07:02 PM)Beaker Wrote: So between Hart's deal, and Uzomah's deal can we please stop saying that the Bengals will never go out and lay out big money for FAs?

[Image: giphy_5c294d6e-ab80-4faf-9d44-117b9c3e53....gif?37756]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 07:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's how you spin this? That the Bengals are big spenders?

One was possibly the worst signing in franchise history. The other was signing a backup te.

Been hearing for years how the Bengals refuse to overpay in FA. Now here you got your wish. Be happy, your negativity is finally getting the franchise to do as you have been telling them they need to do for years.
Reply/Quote
Bengals, throw me some cash if you're just burning it
Reply/Quote
Nobody wants them to overpay. They want them to sign upgrades.
Reply/Quote
I thought Katie is supposed to be such a shrewd businesswoman when it comes to these contract negotiations?

What an absolute joke.

Reply/Quote
I'm gonna try and look on the bright side now. Every year 31 NFL fan-bases have their season end in disappointment. This season the front office decided not to make us all wait for said disappointment and ended our hope mere hours after the tampering window opened. See? Bright side... Facepalm
Reply/Quote
This was the time for Tobin to step up. He had to know the deal. Simmons. Where is our wise old coach to help pick up the pieces of a rushed roster evaluation?

If you think about it they may have only looked at last season. Ideally I'd want to go 4 years back to understand the team and culture and players strengths.

I'm giving ZT a pass on this one. He needs a player in free agency at that position, and can only trust in the FO doing their job.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Ugh, why??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 07:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I thought Katie is supposed to be such a shrewd businesswoman when it comes to these contract negotiations?

What an absolute joke.

Exactly. What's more concerning is that in the midst of Free Agency, the Draft, New coach, trying to sell season tickets to a sceptical fan base....you make THIS deal....for a horrible tackle...for 3years and 21 mil. Basically pissing on ANY Optimism the fan base had about this new regime and confirming that nothing has changed but the names. Not very smart business. Those potential season ticket holders just hit the breaks HARD on this team... And rightfully so.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 07:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ugh, why??

He knows the playbook?

Wait.

We're getting a new playbook.

I got nuthin'.
Reply/Quote
I said in a few posts over the last couple of weeks that, IMO, the amount of money they spent in free agency wasn't necessarily as important as how they spent it, and on who they spent. Spending 7m on Bobby Hart doesn't qualify as 'smart spending' in my book.

I don't get the logic behind this signing. Were other teams chomping at the bit to sign Hart at that number? Something tells me they weren't...and if that's the case, then the Bengals were competing against themselves, for the services of an underwhelming RT who would've most likely signed for half that amount. 

Even if there were another team out there willing to offer a similar contract, it's hard to imagine that they looked at Hart's 'potential' based on what he's done thus far in his career and determined he was the best option available to them - out of all possible options. It just defies logic. The only thing that does make sense is that Jim Turner is really high on Hart (for whatever reasons) and he sold the hell out of him to Taylor and the front office, making them believe that Hart is worth that amount of money. If that's the case, then shame on Zac and the front office.

The deal seems like they chose to roll the dice on a huge gamble, when it wasn't even necessary. Even worse, they chose to puts twice as many chips in as were probably required.
Reply/Quote
This is a another major hit for us. Bobby Hart is now the 13th highest paid RT in the league. PFF had him ranked as the 75th overall OT in the league. I simply do not understand the logic in this move.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 07:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was actually thinking/hoping we'd take care of right tackle in the draft. There was no reason to sign Hart at this amount. You don't pay for some mysterious "potential" you haven't seen in 4 years. You pay for proven guys. Paying Hart sends the message that mediocrity gets rewarded, because that's how he's performed. In fact, mediocre is probably much too kind. 

Why would we look at returning both our tackles as a good thing when they were both varying levels of bad? My goodness...I thought we over-tendered Hopkins as well. You'd think this line was amazing last year with how we've made Hopkins and Hart major priorities. 

This isn't about talent evaluation. It doesn't take a football genius to see the results. Our line wasn't good in 2018. 

They probably still will draft at least one T.  We still only have three on the roster and one is a 7th rounder who spent all of last year on IR.  

$7 mil a year is too much for Hart, but unfortunately teams overpay early in FA.  We needed a T badly.  Same with Uzi at TE.  I would personally have paid Juwan James $14 mil a year before paying Hart $7 mil a year, but we don't know what other moves they have planned.  For all I know, they plan on signing or drafting high another T and kick Hart to G.  I don't like the move, but the entire off season isn't necessarily sunk because of it, either.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 07:54 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: He knows the playbook?

Wait.

We're getting a new playbook.

I got nuthin'.

Well, he's soon to be 25, and has 4 years of NFL "experience".  Maybe they think there is some sort of magical transformation that occurs when a young man reaches his 25th birthday?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 07:59 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: This is a another major hit for us. Bobby Hart is now the 13th highest paid RT in the league. PFF had him ranked as the 75th overall OT in the league. I simply do not understand the logic in this move.

Because Bengals...... that's it. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 07:59 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: This is a another major hit for us. Bobby Hart is now the 13th highest paid RT in the league. PFF had him ranked as the 75th overall OT in the league. I simply do not understand the logic in this move.

Honestly, the only logic I can come up with is bad logic. There's just no scenario that's doesn't involve blind hope, based on wishful thinking, where you look at Bobby Hart's body of work and say 'yeah, that guy deserves 7m per year'.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 06:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The sooner Andy gets killed the sooner he can bring in Tannehill.  Duh.

Tannehill would get spoiled behind our oline. He was sacked 14 times more than Andy with over 100 fewer attempts. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 08:03 PM)Whatever Wrote: They probably still will draft at least one T.  We still only have three on the roster and one is a 7th rounder who spent all of last year on IR.  

$7 mil a year is too much for Hart, but unfortunately teams overpay early in FA.  We needed a T badly.  Same with Uzi at TE.  I would personally have paid Juwan James $14 mil a year before paying Hart $7 mil a year, but we don't know what other moves they have planned.  For all I know, they plan on signing or drafting high another T and kick Hart to G.  I don't like the move, but the entire off season isn't necessarily sunk because of it, either.

I haven't really studied this draft much, but is that tackle that's been mocked to us at 11th able to play Left Tackle? 

Maybe then we could wind up cutting Glenn? Paying $7 million per to Hart as a backup or for a risky conversion to Guard seems ill-advised to put it nicely. Settling for him as starter also seems bad. Even if we draft a Tackle and cut Glenn...because I know we're not going to use the money saved to improve the team. All the relevant free agents would be gone by then.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote