Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Border wall thread
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/us/politics/house-spending-bill-border-wall.html

This was an issue discussed quite a bit before Trump took office. His "I'm going to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it" plug was a significant rallying cry for supporters. Though it seems unlikely this Congress is going to get anything done, the first steps have been taken to build a wall and make America pay for it.

So, for those who wanted the wall, does having to foot the bill change your stance?

Personally, I still fail to see how the wall does anything other than make the construction company a little fatter.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I dont know about the wall, but I am definitely in favor of beefing up security from drones, cameras, etc. across the border. The reason simply being it's Mexico directly south of it. Now I said Mexico, not Mexicans, because I have nothing against the people there. I would love to travel and spend time & money to vacation and sight-see. But there is still too much corruption from the many gangs and cartels that are behind getting drugs, and also guns, across the border.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

I'm not so sure about an actual, physical wall. But in the metaphorical sense? Absolutely.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Physical walls do nothing in an age of drones, tunnels, and technology. It's a very costly symbolic gesture.
(07-28-2017, 05:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: Physical walls do nothing in an age of drones, tunnels, and technology. It's a very costly symbolic gesture.

People love costly symbolic gestures...well, as long as we can keep on slashing taxes and kicking the can down the road, of course.
As long as it has solar panels and i can see through it so i dont get hit by giant bags of drugs spending billions of dollars on a wall that will easily be avoided by the criminals who want to get past it seems like a super great investment.
(07-28-2017, 05:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: Physical walls do nothing in an age of drones, tunnels, and technology. It's a very costly symbolic gesture.

Dont forget the relatively newer invention, called rope.

That said I do think there are certain areas like on the Southern Cal border where a fence or a wall of some kind is necessary to have, along with technological means too . In the large swaths of openness far away from towns and roads, that is where I am in favor of having more technology involved in 'patrolling' by video, sensors, etc. Building a wall across the whole border is ridiculous though.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(07-28-2017, 07:22 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Dont forget the relatively newer invention, called rope.

That said I do think there are certain areas like on the Southern Cal border where a fence or a wall of some kind is necessary to have, along with technological means too . In the large swaths of openness far away from towns and roads, that is where I am in favor of having more technology involved in 'patrolling' by video, sensors, etc. Building a wall across the whole border is ridiculous though.

I think that's understandable. If you've got a populated area, it's understandable to put up a wall, if for no other reason than a definable separation. 
(07-28-2017, 07:22 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Dont forget the relatively newer invention, called rope.

I have a newer invention...it's called "Stop hiring illegal immigrants and hire Americans even if it costs more money to do so."  Of course, this doesn't combat the notion that they just walk over the border and find the nearest welfare office and are immediately given lifetime assistance and voter registration for the Democratic party, eh?
Trump doesn't understand word like "hypothetical".

He's a simple man with a small vocab and limited thoughts.

He says build a wall...he means build a wall.

His defenders can spin it all they like, but he meant a wall...with solar panels and glass so people don't get hurt or killed by the giant bags of drugs being thrown over it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-29-2017, 07:47 AM)GMDino Wrote: Trump doesn't understand word like "hypothetical".

He's a simple man with a small vocab and limited thoughts.

He says build a wall...he means build a wall.

His defenders can spin it all they like, but he meant a wall...with solar panels and glass so people don't get hurt or killed by the giant bags of drugs being thrown over it.

lol... a reasonable post until that grand finale.
(07-29-2017, 09:08 AM)Vlad Wrote: lol... a reasonable post until that grand finale.

Mellow

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/07/14/trump-border-wall-needs-transparency-to-protect-against-bags/23029644/

Quote:President Trump recently shared his vision for the design of his proposed border wall with Mexico, and it involves "transparency."

During a flight aboard Air Force One Wednesday, Trump told reporters, "One of the things with the wall is you need transparency. You have to be able to see through it. In other words, if you can't see through that wall...so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."

The president added, "As horrible as it sounds, when they throw the large sacks of drugs over and if you have people on the other side of the wall, you don't see them and they hit you on the head with 60 pounds of stuff? It's over. As [crazy] as that sounds, you need transparency through that wall. But we have some incredible designs."

ThumbsUp
Trump certainly meant a physical wall, but even his genius couldn't predict that just by the mere fact of him being elected illegal crossings would decrease by 40%...currently with added measures I've read its up to between 60 and 72%.
(07-29-2017, 09:10 AM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/07/14/trump-border-wall-needs-transparency-to-protect-against-bags/23029644/

ThumbsUp

Lol Ok, I stand corrected. That silly Trumpster!

BUT...when he said Mexico would pay for it, he didn't mean the president of Mexico was gonna sit down and write a check.
(07-29-2017, 09:28 AM)Vlad Wrote: Lol Ok, I stand corrected. That silly Trumpster!

BUT...when he said Mexico would pay for it, he didn't mean the president of Mexico was gonna sit down and write a check.

Did he mean they wouldn't pay for any of it and the US taxpayers would in exchange for damaging the safety nets we provide for our own less fortunate?

I bet he meant that.

In his heart.   Mellow
(07-29-2017, 09:28 AM)Vlad Wrote: BUT...when he said Mexico would pay for it, he didn't mean the president of Mexico was gonna sit down and write a check.

What did he mean?
Well, its a start....$1.6 billion approved by House.

http://fox13now.com/2017/07/27/house-approves-spending-bill-with-1-6-billion-for-the-border-wall/
(07-29-2017, 09:30 AM)hollodero Wrote: What did he mean?

He meant nothing.  It was an empty promise that he knew got applause at rallies and votes from people ho actually believed we were being destroyed by illegal immigration.

However...

(07-29-2017, 09:38 AM)Vlad Wrote: Well, its a start....$1.6 billion approved by House.

http://fox13now.com/2017/07/27/house-approves-spending-bill-with-1-6-billion-for-the-border-wall/

We the US taxpayer can now foot the bill.  Yay?
(07-29-2017, 09:30 AM)hollodero Wrote: What did he mean?

Are you serious? You actually thought Trump believed the Mexican prez would write a check just because the Trumpster tells him to?
I guess I shouldn't be surprised!

Here you go...

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/Pay_for_the_Wall.pdf
(07-29-2017, 09:41 AM)GMDino Wrote: He meant nothing. It was an empty promise that he knew got applause at rallies and votes from people ho actually believed we were being destroyed by illegal immigration.

That's what you say... but what says the Vlad I wondered.

(07-29-2017, 09:51 AM)Vlad Wrote: Are you serious? You actually thought Trump believed the Mexican prez would write a check just because the Trumpster tells him to?
I guess I shouldn't be surprised!

Where did I say or imply I thought that? I merely asked you what he actually meant.

Your pdf answers that....sort of. Although it actually says, quote: "On day 3 tell Mexico that if the Mexican government will contribute the funds needed to the United States to pay for the wall, the Trump Administration will not promulgate the final rule, and the regulation [about aliens wiring money to Mexico] will not go into effect."

...which to me looks like part of that plan is/was to actually pressure the Mexican government to fund the wall. But your English is better, so maybe I'm reading that wrong.