Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bosa/2017 draft
Funny how many people in this thread are supporting SD, as if they're not crazy cheap and trying to do something that no 3rd overall pick has had done contractually since the rookie wage scale.

The Chargers are a $1.525b franchise and they're fighting a college kid over like $500k-$1m. Don't draft 3rd overall if you don't want to give a contract that 3rd overall picks get. Don't draft a guy 3rd overall if you want to leave yourself an out on his rookie contract.

This is not the first time the Chargers have had this problem (Eli Manning refusing to play for them). This is also the same franchise which fired a coach after going 14-2. The owner's child is the president of the team, another one of his children is the executive vice president. Nepotism to the max. When there's smoke...

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2016, 07:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Funny how many people in this thread are supporting SD, as if they're not crazy cheap and trying to do something that no 3rd overall pick has had done contractually since the rookie wage scale.

The Chargers are a $1.525b  franchise and they're fighting a college kid over like $500k-$1m. Don't draft 3rd overall if you don't want to give a contract that 3rd overall picks get. Don't draft a guy 3rd overall if you want to leave yourself an out on his rookie contract.

This is not the first time the Chargers have had this problem (Eli Manning refusing to play for them). This is also the same franchise which fired a coach after going 14-2. The owner's child is the president of the team, another one of his children is the executive vice president. Nepotism to the max. When there's smoke...

Yep !

By and large the Charger supporters are the OSU haters, their blind hate clouds up the truth. What they're trying to do to Bosa is wrong on several levels.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2016, 07:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Funny how many people in this thread are supporting SD, as if they're not crazy cheap and trying to do something that no 3rd overall pick has had done contractually since the rookie wage scale.

The Chargers are a $1.525b  franchise and they're fighting a college kid over like $500k-$1m. Don't draft 3rd overall if you don't want to give a contract that 3rd overall picks get. Don't draft a guy 3rd overall if you want to leave yourself an out on his rookie contract.

On the flip side, the kid is sitting out for what a few percent now of his money that he will actually all get since it is guaranteed .  I look at it this way, it is like paying a contractor 95 percent of the job before they even start the job and before you even see how well they do the job... and putting the 5% in escrow that is guaranteed and given after the 1st part of the job is complete.  How many contractors would walk away from that job 

Bosa looks pretty silly to me
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2016, 11:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: On the flip side, the kid is sitting out for what a few percent now of his money that he will actually all get since it is guaranteed .  I look at it this way, it is like paying a contractor 95 percent of the job before they even start the job and before you even see how well they do the job... and putting the 5% in escrow that is guaranteed and given after the 1st part of the job is complete.  How many contractors would walk away from that job 

Every contractor with options would walk away from a job that they don't want. Joey Bosa isn't poor. He'll be OK if he sits out. Are the Chargers OK with losing out on their 2016 first round pick over peanuts? This is ridiculous. If this was WJ III, and not Bosa, the sports world at large, and Bengals fans would be crushing Mike Brown.

San Diego looks silly to me.

Full disclosure:

I got my bachelor's degree at OSU... But I want Nugent gone, hated the AJ Hawk signing, and I was all for drafting Leon Hall. I'm way more fair and balanced than FOX news.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
What he's doing in SD would throw up huge red flags for Mike and Marvin. As much as anyone might like it to happen, I can't see it. If he's as good as people (including and especially himself) think he is, then I'd love to have him. But do you think Mike or marvin would seriously entertain the thought?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2016, 07:19 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Never was so much written by so few with so little punctuation...or logic.

-Winston Churchill 

Added my thoughts.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2016, 11:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: On the flip side, the kid is sitting out for what a few percent now of his money that he will actually all get since it is guaranteed .  I look at it this way, it is like paying a contractor 95 percent of the job before they even start the job and before you even see how well they do the job... and putting the 5% in escrow that is guaranteed and given after the 1st part of the job is complete.  How many contractors would walk away from that job 

All of them if every single other contractor (3rd overall picks in this case) got better terms than them.

Why would that contractor want to work with a miser who's trying to squeeze them of money that no other employer has ever done before? Plus the employer has a bad history.

Meanwhile accepting that contract means you are incapable of taking work from any other employer for 4-7 years. (4 years + 5th year option + 2 franchise tags). By the time you're finally able to work for someone else, you'll be old, your skills in decline.

Bosa looks fine to me. Remember, if you're a first round draft pick, the team that takes you and you sign, you can be their property for SEVEN years. Maybe he simply doesn't want to play for the Chargers? It worked out pretty well for Eli. He won two SB, and the Chargers haven't won shit.

Meanwhile the Chargers are coming off a 4-12 season, are trying to get public finance for a new stadium, and just lost their 3rd overall pick because they wanted to squabble over $500k-$1m that every other team in the NFL has given a pick that high.

Dude will get drafted next year, ball out, and have a better chance of actually winning something with a different team and still be perfectly okay financially for the rest of his life.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 12:29 AM)Shady Wrote: What he's doing in SD would throw up huge red flags for Mike and Marvin. As much as anyone might like it to happen, I can't see it. If he's as good as people (including and especially himself) think he is, then I'd love to have him. But do you think Mike or marvin would seriously entertain the thought?

I seriously think they would. If the chargers just took out offset language off the contract, then the money when he got it wouldnt matter so its not about the money for him. its about the orginization trusting him and it should not even matter. What, theyre gonna cut the number 3 draft pick after 2 seasons? Not gonna happen so chargers are idiots and yes they would. pacman had about as maany red flags as you can have and look how well that turned out and those were character issues. This is contract issues, To me this seems to strengthen his character because hes willing to stick with what he believes is fair. And i guarantee that the bengals would take offset language out of our contract bc we dont cut our draft picks hell if hunt wasnt cut by now then he wont be cut so i do not think that they will be worrried whatsoever about bosa or the contract. You arent gonna pass on the next jj watt
Reply/Quote
No thanks. Something is wrong with this kid if he's crying about waiting until March to get all of his bonus. Then trying to double dip. Character issues for sure, hiding an injury possibly
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 02:22 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I seriously think they would. If the chargers just took out offset language off the contract, then the money when he got it wouldnt matter so its not about the money for him. its about the orginization trusting him and it should not even matter. What, theyre gonna cut the number 3 draft pick after 2 seasons? Not gonna happen so chargers are idiots and yes they would. pacman had about as maany red flags as you can have and look how well that turned out and those were character issues. This is contract issues, To me this seems to strengthen his character because hes willing to stick with what he believes is fair. And i guarantee that the bengals would take offset language out of our contract bc we dont cut our draft picks hell if hunt wasnt cut by now then he wont be cut so i do not think that they will be worrried whatsoever about bosa or the contract. You arent gonna pass on the next jj watt

If offset language is the sole issue, then I agree. It's not a character issue at all. TBH, I haven't followed Bosa's situation (or the rules governing rookie contracts) too closely (at all). Typically, I only give time to Bengals players. Guess I'm a homer that way. I'd love having JJ 2.0. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 04:04 AM)Shady Wrote: If offset language is the sole issue, then I agree. It's not a character issue at all. TBH, I haven't followed Bosa's situation (or the rules governing rookie contracts) too closely (at all). Typically, I only give time to Bengals players. Guess I'm a homer that way. I'd love having JJ 2.0. 

Well just to let you know bosa wanted the offset language taken out or all his money up front he didnt care which. Chargers said they had precedent because they do all their rookie contracts like this but they have never drafted in the top 10 under current cba bosa says he has precedent bc every number 3raft pick has had offset language or all money up front but bosa just wants 1 or the other. 
Man can u imagine our defensive line with watt 2.0? Atkins billings and dunlap??
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 05:04 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Man can u imagine our defensive line with watt 2.0? Atkins billings and dunlap??

bosa is over-rated...nowhere near jj watt in either ability or character
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 08:06 AM)Beaker Wrote: bosa is over-rated...nowhere near jj watt in either ability or character

On what planet is bosa overrated they had the same exact mesurables almost to a t at nfl combines, but lets look at watts college stats. in 26 games as a defensive end he had 1 int for 15 yards 74 solo tackles 32 assisted tackles for a total of 101 total tackles but lets not forget sacks; he had 11.5 sacks for 75 yards lost. Now bosa in 40 games he had 1 int for 28 yards he had 101 solo tackles 47 assisted tackles for a total of 148 total tackles. As far as sacks go, he had 26 sacks for 177 yards lost so actually coming out of college bosa is the better player than watt what he can do in the nfl remains to be seen but coming out of college bosa is the better player.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 03:00 AM)Killachubs Wrote: No thanks. Something is wrong with this kid if he's crying about waiting until March to get all of his bonus. Then trying to double dip. Character issues for sure, hiding an injury possibly

Speculating a bit?  
Reply/Quote
Like others have said it is too late for SD to trade Joey so it doesn't matter. I would be all for drafting him first next year if he falls to us, sitting out a year could cause that slide.

And anyone who sides with the Chargers on this dispute clearly doesn't understand what's going. They also must have missed the part where the Chargers went and made this public, which is so completely pathetic I can't believe anyone would still agree with them after doing that. It's disgusting, and Joey Bosa's mom was right. They should have demanded a trade when they had the chance. I promise you other players/agents are taking notes about how horribly the Chargers are fumbling this situation and will plan accordingly in the future.
Reply/Quote
Keep in mind also that Bosa is not your typical dirt-poor college kid. His father was in the NFL and his mother is a very successful real estate agent of high-line homes in Florida. If he was like Tyler Boyd, this contract would be signed already.

The fact that he actually comes from money might hurt his perception with some people, based on the extreme failings of one Johnny Manziel. Who, by the way, I STILL believe will end up in Dallas, which is what he wanted all along.

Bosa has options most college kids do not. I could think of a lot worse cities to live than San Diego, but the team does have a history. The amazing thing is that he would be willing to risk going to a different team next year of which he would, again, have no control over.

My guess is he still signs very soon.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 09:36 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Like others have said it is too late for SD to trade Joey so it doesn't matter. I would be all for drafting him first next year if he falls to us, sitting out a year could cause that slide.

And anyone who sides with the Chargers on this dispute clearly doesn't understand what's going. They also must have missed the part where the Chargers went and made this public, which is so completely pathetic I can't believe anyone would still agree with them after doing that. It's disgusting, and Joey Bosa's mom was right. They should have demanded a trade when they had the chance. I promise you other players/agents are taking notes about how horribly the Chargers are fumbling this situation and will plan accordingly in the future.
I thought they could still trade him if he signs?

and that is a good point about the public part. One of the articles I read had the offer the cahrgers made detailed out, noting how close it was to what bosa was asking for. It didn't mention how far off it was initially though.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 12:48 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: All of them if every single other contractor (3rd overall picks in this case) got better terms than them.

Why would that contractor want to work with a miser who's trying to squeeze them of money that no other employer has ever done before? Plus the employer has a bad history.

Meanwhile accepting that contract means you are incapable of taking work from any other employer for 4-7 years. (4 years + 5th year option + 2 franchise tags). By the time you're finally able to work for someone else, you'll be old, your skills in decline.

Bosa looks fine to me. Remember, if you're a first round draft pick, the team that takes you and you sign, you can be their property for SEVEN years. Maybe he simply doesn't want to play for the Chargers? It worked out pretty well for Eli. He won two SB, and the Chargers haven't won shit.

Meanwhile the Chargers are coming off a 4-12 season, are trying to get public finance for a new stadium, and just lost their 3rd overall pick because they wanted to squabble over $500k-$1m that every other team in the NFL has given a pick that high.

Dude will get drafted next year, ball out, and have a better chance of actually winning something with a different team and still be perfectly okay financially for the rest of his life.
LOL you act like the players are enslaved, give me a break, like I said pretty simple he is getting every dime of his bonus , if he is stupid enough to sit out and lose all the bonus so be it, but please stop acting like Chargers are Darth Vader and Bosa is Joan of Arc.. your bias with last sentence is showing through too much... and you don;t know about the end of your statement either if you are referring that he is going to get future millions in the NFL he is riding a year without a insurance policy, anything can happen outside of football ie Tuck... 

Now yes it is his choice but just as you tend to have strong opinions about issues so do I so Peace Out on this one for me.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 08:57 AM)Jpoore Wrote: On what planet is bosa overrated they had the same exact mesurables almost to a t at nfl combines, but lets look at watts college stats. in 26 games as a defensive end he had 1 int for 15 yards 74 solo tackles 32 assisted tackles for a total of 101 total tackles but lets not forget sacks; he had 11.5 sacks for 75 yards lost. Now bosa in 40 games he had 1 int for 28 yards he had 101 solo tackles 47 assisted tackles for a total of 148 total tackles. As far as sacks go, he had 26 sacks for 177 yards lost so actually coming out of college bosa is the better player than watt what he can do in the nfl remains to be seen but coming out of college bosa is the better player.

bosa's stats were inflated by osu statisticians giving him credit for tackles when all he did was fall on the pile.
Reply/Quote
^^^^

Well simple solution if you honestly believe Bosa got any more questionable tackle stats than anyone else does is to just look at SOLO tackles. Solved that issue for you pretty easily.
Reply/Quote