Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boston Globe gets bomb threat after editorial blasts Trump's Media Attacks
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/media/2018/08/17/boston-globe-hit-bomb-threat-after-publishing-anti-trump-editorial/1017641002/

Quote:Law enforcement is investigating a bomb threat The Boston Globe received Thursday, the same day it led a nationwide publication of newspaper editorials denouncing President Donald Trump's attacks on the press as "the enemy of the people."

Boston police do not believe the threat was “super serious,” but the Federal Bureau of Investigation is conducting an investigation, reported WHDH, a Boston TV station.

Boston police responded to the building where the Globe's offices are located after the newspaper received a threatening phone call Thursday morning, Axios reported.

The building's manager alerted other tenants just before noon about the situation, according to an email obtained by Axios. "Earlier today a tenant in the building, the Boston Globe, received several threats via phone call. Based on this threat the local and federal authorities have recommended some additional security measures for the property. For the remainder of the day you will see uniformed Boston Police officers in the lobby and around the property. There are very few specifics, but the threat was specific to later this afternoon."

Boston police referred a query about the incident to the FBI, which would neither confirm or deny an investigation.

In an editorial published Thursday entitled "Journalists Are Not The Enemy," the Globe criticized Trump's labeling of mainstream media outlets such as The New York Times, The Washington Post, CNN and NBC as "fake news media" and "the enemy of the American people."

The Globe's editorial said: "A central pillar of President Trump’s politics is a sustained assault on the free press." 

More than 350 other newspapers and some radio and TV stations joined the Globe in publishing their own editorials. The main message:
"Trump is inflicting massive, and perhaps irreparable, damage to democracy with these attacks," the St. Louis Post-Dispatch wrote in its editorial.

View image on Twitter
[Image: DkxbbDgXoAARkAH?format=jpg&name=small]

Quote:[Image: hD6jHLjc_normal.jpg]
[/url]The Boston Globe

@BostonGlobe

.@GlobeOpinion asked news outlets to speak out in support of a #freepress. More than 400 answered the call. http://bos.gl/HneQahV 
11:43 PM - Aug 16, 2018

Twitter Ads info and privacy

President Trump fired back on Twitter saying the Globe was "in COLLUSION with other papers on free press" and tweeting, 'THE FAKE NEWS MEDIA IS THE OPPOSITION PARTY. It is very bad for our Great Country....BUT WE ARE WINNING!" 
Quote:[Image: kUuht00m_normal.jpg]
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

THE FAKE NEWS MEDIA IS THE OPPOSITION PARTY. It is very bad for our Great Country....BUT WE ARE WINNING!
8:50 AM - Aug 16, 2018

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Many on Twitter expressed concern that Trump's tweet could have inspired the bomb threat. "Your inability to be civil has now incited a bomb threat to the Boston Globe," tweeted attorney Andrew Turner
Quote:[Image: ekEOVEYB_normal.jpg]
Paul Gasari@WheresMyArk_23

After Donald Trump tweeted an attack at the Boston Globe a bomb threat was made to their office.

Our president is a bigger threat to the safety of private citizens than the "fake news" ever was.
6:36 PM - Aug 16, 2018

• [url=https://twitter.com/WheresMyArk_23]See Paul Gasari's other Tweets
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Bet it was from David Dennison.

Or maybe John Miller.
Best thing that could happen is they find who did it, throw the proverbial book at him or her and make him or her an example. This kind of thing is ridiculous and should be heavily discouraged.
(08-17-2018, 02:48 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Best thing that could happen is they find who did it, throw the proverbial book at him or her and make him or her an example. This kind of thing is ridiculous and should be heavily discouraged.

If we throw the book at Trump for everything he does, we're going to run out of libraries.

Mellow
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Honest question:

Has Trump said the media is the enemy of the people or has he said fake media is the enemy of the people?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-17-2018, 04:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Honest question:

Has Trump said the media is the enemy of the people or has he said fake media is the enemy of the people?

He probably said "fake media", but the problem is that he defines "fake news" as anyone who disagrees with him.  So basically he is saying that any media that does not agree with the state is an enemy of the people when in fact a media that does not agree with the State is one of the biggest protectors of our freedoms.

That is why all dictators insist on controlling the media.
(08-17-2018, 04:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Honest question:

Linking stuff isn't easy atm, but, yes. Media is the enemy of the people and full of hate.

"Heading to Helsinki, Finland – looking forward to meeting with President Putin tomorrow. Unfortunately, no matter how well I do at the Summit, if I was given the great city of Moscow as retribution for all of the sins and evils committed by Russia.....over the years, I would return to criticism that it wasn’t good enough – that I should have gotten Saint Petersburg in addition! Much of our news media is indeed the enemy of the people and all the Dems......know how to do is resist and obstruct! This is why there is such hatred and dissension in our country – but at some point, it will heal! "

https://votesmart.org/public-statement/1259535/tweet-heading-to-helsinki-finland-looking-forward-to-meeting-with-president-putin-tomorrow-unfortunately-no-matter-how-well-i-do-at-the-summit-if-i-was-given-the-great-city-of-moscow-as-retribution-for-all-of-the-sins-and-evils-committed-by-russiaover-the-years-i-would-return-to-criticism-that-it-wasnt-good-enough-that-i-should-have-gotten-saint-petersburg-in-addition-much-of-our-news-media-is-indeed-the-enemy-of-the-people-and-all-the-demsknow-how-to-do-is-resist-and-obstruct-this-is-why-there-is-such-hatred-and-dissension-in-our-country-but-at-some-point-it-will-heal
(08-17-2018, 05:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He probably said "fake media", but the problem is that he defines "fake news" as anyone who disagrees with him.  So basically he is saying that any media that does not agree with the state is an enemy of the people when in fact a media that does not agree with the State is one of the biggest protectors of our freedoms.

(08-17-2018, 05:34 PM)Benton Wrote: Linking stuff isn't easy atm, but, yes. Media is the enemy of the people and full of hate.

"Heading to Helsinki, Finland – looking forward to meeting with President Putin tomorrow. Unfortunately, no matter how well I do at the Summit, if I was given the great city of Moscow as retribution for all of the sins and evils committed by Russia.....over the years, I would return to criticism that it wasn’t good enough – that I should have gotten Saint Petersburg in addition! Much of our news media is indeed the enemy of the people and all the Dems......know how to do is resist and obstruct! This is why there is such hatred and dissension in our country – but at some point, it will heal! "

https://votesmart.org/public-statement/1259535/tweet-heading-to-helsinki-finland-looking-forward-to-meeting-with-president-putin-tomorrow-unfortunately-no-matter-how-well-i-do-at-the-summit-if-i-was-given-the-great-city-of-moscow-as-retribution-for-all-of-the-sins-and-evils-committed-by-russiaover-the-years-i-would-return-to-criticism-that-it-wasnt-good-enough-that-i-should-have-gotten-saint-petersburg-in-addition-much-of-our-news-media-is-indeed-the-enemy-of-the-people-and-all-the-demsknow-how-to-do-is-resist-and-obstruct-this-is-why-there-is-such-hatred-and-dissension-in-our-country-but-at-some-point-it-will-heal

Yeah, I get all that and it appears to be a little different than promoting the stance that he say "The Media is the enemy of the people". He seems to be referring to a select population; but I get why folks want to push the narrative.

As I have said: His comments toward the media are inexcusable, but when we try to make more of them that what they really are aka: The Media is the enemy of the people, we play right into his hands.   It's sorta like when he call MS-13 animals it quickly becomes all immigrants are animals.

(08-17-2018, 05:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He probably said "fake media", but the problem is that he defines "fake news" as anyone who disagrees with him.  So basically he is saying that any media that does not agree with the state is an enemy of the people when in fact a media that does not agree with the State is one of the biggest protectors of our freedoms.

Honest question: why is it wrong for Trump supporters to try to tell us all what Trump "really meant was ..." but it's okay for Trump haters to do so?
(08-17-2018, 05:51 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Honest question: why is it wrong for Trump supporters to try to tell us all what Trump "really meant was ..." but it's okay for Trump haters to do so?

Here is the difference.  All I do is post what he actually says to show what he actually means.  

Trump supporters post what he actually says and then claim he did not mean what he actually said.

How do you think Trump defines "fake news"?
Calling news fake is one thing but the president calling an entire group of Americans out as an enemy of any kind seems rather uncool.
(08-17-2018, 05:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I have said: His comments toward the media are inexcusable, but when we try to make more of them that what they really are aka: The Media is the enemy of the people, we play right into his hands.   

How do you think Trump defines "fake news"

(08-17-2018, 05:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  It's sorta like when he call MS-13 animals it quickly becomes all immigrants are animals.

Again this conclusion is based on Trump's own claims that illegal immigrants are mostly diseased criminals, the "worst of the worst" sent here by the Mexican government.

You can't just ignore all the things he says.  You can't take a comment and act like it exists in a vacuum apart from all the other things he has said.
Here are a couple of examples of how Trump defines "fake news"

“Much of the media in Washington, D.C. — along with New York, Los Angeles, in particular.  .  .   “The press has become so dishonest that if we don't talk about, we are doing a tremendous disservice to the American people. Tremendous disservice. We have to talk to find out what's going on, because the press honestly is out of control. The level of dishonesty is out of control.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/02/17/trump-calls-the-media-the-enemy-of-the-american-people/?utm_term=.23e9ae90f4bb

[Image: kUuht00m_normal.jpg]
[/url]
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

[url=https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump]

The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!
(08-17-2018, 06:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How do you think Trump defines "fake news"

Again this conclusion is based on Trump's own claims that illegal immigrants are mostly diseased criminals, the "worst of the worst" sent here by the Mexican government.

You can't just ignore all the things he says.  You can't take a comment and act like it exists in a vacuum apart from all the other things he has said.

And you cannot just draw conclusions for various quotes to support your stance. Just like he's never said all media is the enemy he has never said all immigrants are animals. 

Trump most likely defines fake news as news intended to slur him whether it be factual or not. 

(08-17-2018, 06:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And you cannot just draw conclusions for various quotes to support your stance. Just like he's never said all media is the enemy he has never said all immigrants are animals. 

Trump most likely defines fake news as news intended to slur him whether it be factual or not. 

I don't think it's much of a leap to assume Trump is telling his followers that the media with which they disagree is the one that is the enemy.  I suppose we need to find one of the people who made a threat towards a media company and ask him how he managed to figure out that particular news outlet was "the enemy" because Trump has been so damn vague about the whole thing.

Perhaps if ISIS and other terrorists simply said "Death to certain Americans" we'd leave them alone, too.  
(08-17-2018, 06:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And you cannot just draw conclusions for various quotes to support your stance. Just like he's never said all media is the enemy 

He doesn't have to say all the media is the enemy.  Claiming that any media who disagrees with him is exactly what any dictator would say.

It is very dangerous language to use.
(08-17-2018, 06:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He doesn't have to say all the media is the enemy.  Claiming that any media who disagrees with him is exactly what any dictator would say.

It is very dangerous language to use.

I agree; I've said so numerous times.

(08-17-2018, 06:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I agree; I've said so numerous times.

But when you say it is always followed by a "but" and then some sort of condemnation of people who criticize Trump.
(08-17-2018, 05:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, I get all that and it appears to be a little different than promoting the stance that he say "The Media is the enemy of the people". He seems to be referring to a select population; but I get why folks want to push the narrative.

As I have said: His comments toward the media are inexcusable, but when we try to make more of them that what they really are aka: The Media is the enemy of the people, we play right into his hands.   It's sorta like when he call MS-13 animals it quickly becomes all immigrants are animals.

Quote:In a speech last week at the Veterans of Foreign Wars convention in Kansas City, Mo., Trump bashed the journalists covering the event, which drew a rebuke from VFW leadership.

“Don’t believe the crap you see from these people, the fake news,” Trump said, gesturing to the press area of the venue.

The president added, “Just remember: What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-says-he-called-media-enemy-of-the-people-in-meeting-with-ny-times-publisher/2018/07/29/fec5adee-9330-11e8-810c-5fa705927d54_story.html?utm_term=.d27b74b2f69a

Quote:In December 2015, while speaking at a rally in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Trump told a crowd he was against killing journalists, a comment made in reference to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

"I would never kill them, but I do hate them. And some of them are such lying, disgusting people. It's true," Trump told the crowd.
"The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!" Trump tweeted in February.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/feel-anymore-critics-media-feel-emboldened-trump/story?id=56262066

And I'll stop there. I was going to link some of the more than dozen comments he's made about the media being the enemy of the people, lying, etc. But, honestly, what's the point? You're going to continue yelling lugenpresse and using jargon like 'pushing a narrative.' This is an ugly time in our history and it's because of dumb, ugly partisanship driving ignorance and hate.
(08-17-2018, 06:27 PM)Benton Wrote: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-says-he-called-media-enemy-of-the-people-in-meeting-with-ny-times-publisher/2018/07/29/fec5adee-9330-11e8-810c-5fa705927d54_story.html?utm_term=.d27b74b2f69a

https://abcnews.go.com/US/feel-anymore-critics-media-feel-emboldened-trump/story?id=56262066

And I'll stop there. I was going to link some of the more than dozen comments he's made about the media being the enemy of the people, lying, etc. But, honestly, what's the point? You're going to continue yelling lugenpresse and using jargon like 'pushing a narrative.' This is an ugly time in our history and it's because of dumb, ugly partisanship driving ignorance and hate.

In each link you provided he points to a portion of the media. 

I don't think I've ever yelled lugenpresse; hell I don't even know what it means. Is it German?

The point is: Call Trump out for what he actually says. There's more than enough there. The media pushing the narrative that Trump thinks all media is the enemy of the people is guess what?