Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brace Yourselves...
(11-17-2017, 02:29 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'll probably never be able to say 'I'm done' with this team and actually mean it - but if nothing changes and Marvin is re-signed, my overall interest level would be at near an all-time low. It would just be very hard to get excited for more of the same old, same old.

Stop it! You know good and well that the third reboot is the charm!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 02:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: [Image: 132488bd37b0dd3fcf756ebb74cb9f0b--happy-...-memes.jpg]

This defense of Marvin Lewis from Willie Anderson got me thinking. What if there are no serious changes? What if this winds up being 2010 all over again? Back then, Marvin went into the season as a supposed "lame duck". He responded by losing 10 straight on the way to a 4-12 season. Of course, we all know what happened afterward:

[Image: conference_20110104170641_320_240.JPG]

The only change made after that debacle was Bratkowski getting fired in way late January, after all the good candidates were taken. We did get lucky with Jay Gruden, but no other teams were sniffing him as an O coordinator candidate. So one change - a new OC - after a massively disappointing season (based on league-wide expectations) and 10 straight L's resulted in Mike Brown finally firing Bob Bratkowski after 3 straight years of finishing 22nd or worse in points. Wow.

Mike Brown has always been this way. Just check out this article from 2000 about Kenny Anderson's demotion.

This is who Mike Brown is. He will fight tooth and nail not to fire coaches. He's only fired 2 head coaches in 26 year span that includes 15 losing seasons and no playoff wins. Coordinators are usually given an incredible amount of rope, and really have to tank hard for several seasons to get fired.

So what will you do if Mike, Paul Alexander and crew are all back for another fun-filled season? What if the only change is hiring a permanent OC?

Ug. That would mean we could see Dalton and AJ Green sent packing as well, since we saw both the QB and WR gone after the 2010 season.

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 05:17 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: PA isnt going anywhere. Marv, maybe. But PA is here for the rest of Mike Brown's life (maybe longer). He is very close to the Brown family, which all but guarantees a job for life, regardless of on-field performance (same story for pacman jones  Whatever  ).  

We can only hope that we luck into some very talented Olinemen via free agency and the draft. It is possible to have a solid Oline under PA. That 2005 offensive line was outstanding. Talent goes a long way in this league. It can make bad coaches seem decent. Sadly for us Bengal fans, we've seen that far too many times in recent years  Whatever 

I'd much rather see Marv go above all else. IMO he is the biggest problem with this franchise right now.
(Note the "right now") 

Paul Alexander has had the worst 2 year stretch of any Bengals position coach I've seen. He hand selected a pair of busts at tackle and had us trade up to nab Bodine. Our rankings in both sacks and yards per carry are near the very bottom of the NFL over the last 2 years.

If that doesn't get him fired, maybe I need to move on myself.

(11-18-2017, 06:08 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Ug. That would mean we could see Dalton and AJ Green sent packing as well, since we saw both the QB and WR gone after the 2010 season.

I view Dalton and Green as more loyal than Palmer and Chad. You never know though...they've both shown signs of extreme frustration this year. 7 years seems to be the time limit for Bengals stars. Dillon also demanded a trade after year 7. I want to say Pickens was around year 7 when he left as well. On top of Palmer and Chad...and now maybe Dalton and Green.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 08:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Paul Alexander has had the worst 2 year stretch of any Bengals position coach I've seen. He hand selected a pair of busts at tackle and had us trade up to nab Bodine. Our rankings in both sacks and yards per carry are near the very bottom of the NFL over the last 2 years.

I view Dalton and Green as more loyal than Palmer and Chad. You never know though...they've both shown signs of extreme frustration this year. 7 years seems to be the time limit for Bengals stars. Dillon also demanded a trade after year 7. I want to say Pickens was around year 7 when he left as well.

You gotta wonder if RB comes here via draft that they might consider this the death of their career.

Yeah I know that Hill had an anomaly of a season here.

Other than the Benson season it's been long past due for a RB to have consistent numbers here.

My question is...  are the O-Line players blurred out like some witness protection person when they watch game tape?

No player, coach, or film room janitorial crew could fail to see how terrible they are.

[Image: th?id=OIP.vVlaclzdrKAhfcwjxq-amQEjDW&pid...=217&h=160]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Think that Alexander will be out of the job after 2017!
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 08:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Paul Alexander has had the worst 2 year stretch of any Bengals position coach I've seen. He hand selected a pair of busts at tackle and had us trade up to nab Bodine. Our rankings in both sacks and yards per carry are near the very bottom of the NFL over the last 2 years.

Sadly, it won't. Believe me, I agree with you though. PA should have been gone well over a decade ago. Somehow, he has stood the test of time. This is Mike Brown's hand picked bust that he refuses to move on from. I just don't see that changing any time soon. Hope to god I'm wrong.

I view Dalton and Green as more loyal than Palmer and Chad. You never know though...they've both shown signs of extreme frustration this year. 7 years seems to be the time limit for Bengals stars. Dillon also demanded a trade after year 7. I want to say Pickens was around year 7 when he left as well. On top of Palmer and Chad...and now maybe Dalton and Green.

The only way I see Dalton and Green pulling a Carson after this season is if Marv is given an extension. Not entirely out of the real of possibility. If Marv is back next year, I doubt Dalton and/or Green will return with him. If that happens, I will be taking a much needed break from The Brown Family Circus as well.  

Bolded
Reply/Quote
Unrelated but still hated.

Is it too early to be posting about unis ?

Aaaaaagggh!

WTF !!

[Image: 7498312.png]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 03:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Really Marvin Lewis is a much smaller problem in the grand scheme of things compared to Bengals Management. At this point, I view Marvin as more of a symptom than the actual disease.

The Bengals are managed to make a profit as the primary objective and to win second. Would they like to win? Yes - but only if they can do so in a fiscally responsible way.

MB MB MB.  The only one that can't be fired or traded!!  
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 11:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I disagree. Look at our 5 year run in the playoffs. There was enough talent assembled on this team to win the Superbowl. While MB is not a good GM, it was not MB's fault this team comes out from just about every bye week flat and unprepared. It is not MB's fault they can dominate at 1PM, but can't win in prime time. It's not MB's fault the whole team came out and played like shit against San Diego. Those are coaching issues, not management issues. Lewis must go...

(11-18-2017, 12:32 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Agreed. While management is nothing to write home about, gameday coaching has been the biggest issue on this team. 

I think simply removing Lewis from the equation will be a huge addition by subtraction (provided whoever replaces him isn't as big of a choke artist as he is). 

C'mon guys..  It is absolutely the Management's fault.  Management keeps employing the coach, which is tacitly saying that they are just fine with the job that he's doing.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 11:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: C'mon guys..  It is absolutely the Management's fault.  Management keeps employing the coach, which is tacitly saying that they are just fine with the job that he's doing.

Granted, management is at fault for keeping these idiots on staff because they fear change. But management has nothing to do with the crap we see on gameday. 
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2017, 12:04 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Granted, management is at fault for keeping these idiots on staff because they fear change. But management has nothing to do with the crap we see on gameday. 

Management has everything to do with what we see on game day.  The sooner that you realize that, the sooner you will understand the full gravity of the problems with this team.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I stuck with the team through the 90, just like a lot of you have. This year is different for me. I'm not just down because of losing but I'm down on the NFL too. Bringing political views in, but also politics within the game itself. They do seem to play favorites with certain teams, many of you have noticed this. My question is: If they do, just how far would they go? Are these games rigged? They may not be but it seems like games are nudged in certain directions by refs. There's tons of money envolved, much, much more than what teams are making on the surface.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2017, 12:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Management has everything to do with what we see on game day.  The sooner that you realize that, the sooner you will understand the full gravity of the problems with this team.

Absolutely 1000% agreed,

Management (MB) is completely, absolutely, responsible for the product we see on the field every Sunday. He's created this culture, he sets the tone, ha calls the shots.

DAMN IT MIKE
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2017, 10:57 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Absolutely 1000% agreed,

Management (MB) is completely, absolutely, responsible for the product we see on the field every Sunday. He's created this culture, he sets the tone, ha calls the shots.

DAMN IT MIKE

Yep, see my reply to your post in the "Barely hanging on" thread.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 03:15 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’m optimistic that MB retires from football operations after this season and lets Katie put her stamp on the franchise with her first big highering of a new HC and possible more coaching staff changes.

I have it from a very reliable internal source that Marvin has told Mike he plans on retiring for health reasons at the end of this season.

Mike WILL NOT FIRE MARVIN. Marvin is going to fire Mike ala Palmer (except he will not let Mike keep the $50m).

We will still be stuck with the same issue...Mike’s reluctancy to hold mediocre employees accountable. That includes players (primarily QB) and coaches (primarily OL).

I find it interesting that Margin is the lighting rod for most of this. The same set of stats used to bash the coaches are often the same as the ones used to attempt to support the QB...lol!

Only here is TOP 15 a thing to celebrate! SMFH!
Reply/Quote