Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver
(03-22-2017, 06:08 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Bengals have a lot more pressing needs than WR

After the current FA period, what would you asses as their biggest needs?

Here is my take, not in order:  

LT
RG(Andre on one year deal, and fragile...or fat...or both)
C
RDE
RB
WR
LB
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 05:51 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Eiffert being out most of the year hurt their red zone production. This is the primary reason. 

Play calling was abysmal as well
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 05:41 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I keep seeing people post about drafting a wide receiver in the first round and it makes me sick. This team has SO many more needs than wide receiver. We have Lafell, Eiffert, AJ, and Boyd (a second round pick who will only be better than last year). That is PLENTY of weapons through the air.

What if we had still had Marvin Jones, would you then want us to go out and get a receiver? No, you say? Why, because Marvin Jones was good?

Well, look at these numbers:

Comparing Marvin Jones' 2015 with the Bengals (hit last year) and Lafell's numbers with the Bengals in 2016

Marvin Jones
103 Targets
65 Receptions
816 yards
4 TDs

Brandon Lafell
106 Targets
64 Receptions
862 yards
6 TDS

Fred stated it in another post and heres the numbers to back it up. Lafell was good last year. As good or better than Marvin Jones was for us. The dude can be the answer at wide receiver for us and he proved it in the second half of last year.

Feeling a little upset stomach are ya!  Feeling a little sick..  If we don't choose Mike Williams first Round it will be the Biggest blunder of the Cincinnati Bengals draft Ever.  He can come in right away and move the ball.  I am all for Brandon Lafell but you don't pass up someone like Mike Williams if he is on the board.  
Reply/Quote
I'd be happy with a big time play maker at any position.  I think too many of you are stuck on the first pick. Suppose they get their big time playmakers ALL AS undrafted free agents and their draft picks all flop and they still win the super bowl..?
As pointed out many times it doesn't matter how they get there as long as they get there. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Greens 28, Lafell is 30 im all for Mike Williams actually with that first pick and handing him the torch in a few years when Lafells gone and green starts declining. I think Williams is a very safe pick as well as far as not being a bust.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 05:41 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I keep seeing people post about drafting a wide receiver in the first round and it makes me sick. This team has SO many more needs than wide receiver. We have Lafell, Eiffert, AJ, and Boyd (a second round pick who will only be better than last year). That is PLENTY of weapons through the air.

What if we had still had Marvin Jones, would you then want us to go out and get a receiver? No, you say? Why, because Marvin Jones was good?

Comparing Marvin Jones' 2015 with the Bengals (hit last year) and Lafell's numbers with the Bengals in 2016

Marvin Jones
103 Targets
65 Receptions
816 yards
4 TDs

Brandon Lafell
106 Targets
64 Receptions
862 yards
6 TDS

Fred stated it in another post and heres the numbers to back it up. Lafell was good last year. As good or better than Marvin Jones was for us. The dude can be the answer at wide receiver for us and he proved it in the second half of last year.

I completely agree!! The Bengals need one WR in this draft & it damn sure doesn't need to be in the first two rounds. The only way that I would change my way of thinking on this would be if Ross,Williams,or Davis were to fall. 

Ross & Davis have really impressed. Really like both kids, but a RZ option and speed can be found after the first two rounds.
Reply/Quote
lafell is one of, if not the worst number 2 in the nfl. U wouldnt take corey davis or mike williams at 9 over lafell? A 30+ year old lafell?
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 07:48 AM)Jpoore Wrote: lafell is one of, if not the worst number 2 in the nfl. U wouldnt take corey davis or mike williams at 9 over lafell? A 30+ year old lafell?

I wouldn't go this far, but this is pretty accurate.  

If you evaluate Lafell by his stats alone, you miss the point.  His position at #2 is really only by default.  Gio out of the backfield and Tyler Eifert would likely have been the #2 and #3 options if healthy.  He is really a #4 and with Boyd in the slot that is even arguable.  

However, he is a solid route-runner with very good hands.  He is an excellent blocker as well.  If he was a clown off the field, he wouldn't be here but the team loves him and he is a pro that works to get everyone better in his unit.

The problem becomes, if AJ Green goes down, can the Bengals create opportunities underneath with the aforementioned Eifert, Gio, and Boyd?  The answer is a resounding no.  Cody Core looked 100X better than his debut against Houston and maybe he can play that role to an extent, but I think Davis or Ross would make this offense elite.  
Reply/Quote
All I have to say in this discussion is that it was the O-line who let the team down last year and more specifically, Ogbuehi (awful) and Bodine (weak) and Boling (subpar).

Now the two offensive linemen not on that list are gone, so it's tough to see the running game improve or the passing game improve.

Then there's the HC who doesn't see any problems with O-line, so he's another problem.

LaFell's weaknesses pale in comparison.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 07:48 AM)Jpoore Wrote: lafell is one of, if not the worst number 2 in the nfl. U wouldnt take corey davis or mike williams at 9 over lafell? A 30+ year old lafell?

This statement is utterly ridiculous! Your man crush on Williams is only slightly apparent  Yawn. Not trying to make you blush or anything.

Here's a short list of WRs that were drafted in THE FOURTH RD!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Largent, Chris Carter, John Stallworth, Andre Reed, & Charlie Joiner! Oh btw, ALL are HOFamers.

To answer your question; no.
Reply/Quote
LaFell is an ok stopgap. As good as Marvin Jones is a crazy comparison though and he is not the Bengals future.

Agree we should draft WR but not early. Bengals need an elite pass rusher and to bolster OL in early rounds imo.

Have a wealth of picks and could draft several WR's later and see who pans out.

Marvin Jones was a fifth rounder if I remember right and he worked out pretty good.

Should attack the trenches early.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Like Mike Williams but not his 4.53 40 time.

He has great hands and body and certainly will be available at 9.

If the Bengals want him believe they can trade back and get him though. Not sure he goes in top 15 and some have him ranked near bottom of first round.

Louisville held him to 5 catches for 70 yards and a TD in a shoot out. Solid stats but Louisville had no shut down corners by any means.

Think he benefits from having a great QB who can buy time when necessary.

Not saying he is bad, because he is really good. But worthy of a 9th pick ? Not sold.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 07:48 AM)Jpoore Wrote: lafell is one of, if not the worst number 2 in the nfl.

Based on what?
Reply/Quote
I can't blame anyone for being enticed by the thought of 2 elite wideouts which is what people would expect out of Williams.

I think LaFell is a fine player better than most think but he is just a stop gap.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 01:11 PM)Go Cards Wrote: LaFell is an ok stopgap. As good as Marvin Jones is a crazy comparison though and he is not the Bengals future.

Agree we should draft WR but not early. Bengals need an elite pass rusher and to bolster OL in early rounds imo.  

Have a wealth of picks and could draft several WR's later and see who pans out.

Marvin Jones was a fifth rounder if I remember right and he worked out pretty good.

Should attack the trenches early.

Winner,winner chicken dinner!
Reply/Quote
Our best year since 1988 was in 2015 when Andy was surrounded by an abundance of weapons and had a competent line that gave him enough time to progress through his reads. Do you think that was a coincidence? And this is the same offense that ranked 25th last year. What is the ceiling of this offense as is now?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

Marvin Jones
103 Targets
65 Receptions
816 yards
4 TDs

Brandon Lafell
106 Targets
64 Receptions
862 yards
6 TDS

I like Lafell and thought he did great for his first year in the system. We also have Core who i think could be special.

Still, i would not be against John Ross or Corey Davis if the top 3 pass rushers are gone. Cannot teach speed and while
Lafell is a good route runner, him and Boyd are not burners. A guy like Ross or Davis would really open up the middle of
the field and make teams pay if they double AJ.

Josh Reynolds in the 3rd round would be a nice grab as well.

As long as we get a pass rusher and a Center in this draft i will be pretty happy. These two are the must positions IMO.

Barnett, Elflein, Reynolds.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 09:38 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: Feeling a little upset stomach are ya!  Feeling a little sick..  If we don't choose Mike Williams first Round it will be the Biggest blunder of the Cincinnati Bengals draft Ever.  He can come in right away and move the ball.  I am all for Brandon Lafell but you don't pass up someone like Mike Williams if he is on the board.  

Eh, Williams speed is concerning to me like Treadwell last year and look how Treadwell played in his rookie year.

Core outplayed Treadwell in less games with less snaps by far. Speed is what we need in our WR corps.

Give me Ross or Davis over Williams for this very reason.

CB's in the NFL can go up for the ball too, it won't be a walk in the park for Mike Williams like it was in college.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 03:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, Williams speed is concerning to me like Treadwell last year and look how Treadwell played in his rookie year.

Core outplayed Treadwell in less games with less snaps by far. Speed is what we need in our WR corps.

Give me Ross or Davis over Williams for this very reason.

CB's in the NFL can go up for the ball too, it won't be a walk in the park for Mike Williams like it was in college.

No No No, just because the combine, and they wrote an article on it, doesn't mean it is going to come to fruition that his speed will be a concern.  He is a beast, and with who we have on the other side there is no two CB in the entire leauge to be able to stop what we have to offer them.  I am telling you if we do not pick this guy up and we let him go to The Steelers we will be in trouble for Years to come.  Mark it down put a stamp on it, I am telling you if we get him we change how we play football in Cincy.   
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 01:43 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I can't blame anyone for being enticed by the thought of 2 elite wideouts which is what people would expect out of Williams.

I think LaFell is a fine player better than most think but he is just a stop gap.

Its enticing, but I just think we have much bigger needs at different positions on this team than wide receiver. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote