Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Brandon LaFell has reached agreement w/ Bengals
(03-30-2016, 05:24 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2016/02/ex-rutgers_receiver_leonte_carroo_generates_buzz_w.html

Think Steve Smith 2.0.

Don't you mean Steve Smith 3.0? lol

I like the signing okay. Honestly there wasn't much out there on the market really outside of Marvin Jones our own guy, but he got paid to be a #1 WR and we have one of those, so all things considered this is a solid move. I probably would have liked Anquan Boldin myself but w/e.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 05:52 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Don't you mean Steve Smith 3.0? lol

I like the signing okay. Honestly there wasn't much out there on the market really outside of Marvin Jones our own guy, but he got paid to be a #1 WR and we have one of those, so all things considered this is a solid move. I probably would have liked Anquan Boldin myself but w/e.

Me too.   Proven winner, mentally tough, great in the clutch.   Still on board with the signing.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 05:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't know much about Caroo.

His film looks good.  Not a real speedster but very quick with really reliable hands.  And at 6 ft. 211 lbs. he has good size.  Very competitive.  Fights for the ball. 

Biggest knock is separating from top notch press defenders.  Apparently was pretty much shut down by Trae Waynes.  But that was the only specific negative I heard on him, and heck - AJ has been shut down by good corners too.

I'd love this guy.
Reply/Quote
What?  Two signings in two days?  Just when many were starting to think that free agency was over, for the Bengals.

I guess I might be hoping for too much, to see Reggie Nelson signed back to the team..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 05:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Happy days. Very good FA for us this year. Much better than i expected.

Iloka, Adam, Dansby and Lafell is great considering what we were facing. Lafell tops it off and opens up the Draft.
I would not be against a receiver in the first especially if one of the top 4 fall to us but i hope we don't reach for
one just because they are flying off the board.

Sterling Shepard in the 2nd would be great or Michael Thomas.

I don't know if we need a LB as much with the Dansby signing. I think he can tutor up Dawson and Flowers into
a pair of very good backers.

I would love one of the stud DT's in the 1st round.

Yeah this allows us to do what we have been doing.  Take the best player available.  

I'd love it if we could grab Reggie to go along with this.
Reply/Quote
Really like the signing. He definitely has things he needs to work on and improve, but Urban is a pretty damn good WR's coach and hopefully he can get LaFell to be more consistent. The talent is there, and he showed in '14 what he's capable of.

Overall, I'm really pleased with how free agency has gone. With a solid draft (and hopefully landing a WR that can contribute right away)...this team looks to be in very good shape going into to the upcoming season. 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 05:52 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Don't you mean Steve Smith 3.0? lol

(03-30-2016, 06:03 PM)3wt Wrote: Me too.   Proven winner, mentally tough, great in the clutch.   Still on board with the signing.

Me three..... ThumbsUp

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 05:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: Good signing, pretty decent FA period, all things considered.  Most importantly, we pretty much kept the secondary intact, and could still wind up with #20 back.  That'd be a boon on the defensive side of the ball.

A good draft and LaFell could make things interesting on the offensive side.  

All in all, a tip of the hat to the FO in FA.  I don't think I've EVER said that...... Mellow

Agreed. This is the first offseason I can remember where the Bengals did everything I thought they should do.

- Let MLJ and Sanu sign crazy contracts elsewere? Check.
- Make the younger safety (Iloka) the priority? Check.
- Bring back Adam? Check.
- Sign a vet WR (something I've harped on for years?) Check. (As a bonus, it was the exact guy I wanted)
- Let Andre walk? Check.
- Finally sign Dansby? Check.

The only other thing I would possibly want is for Reggie to come back, and even that is still a possibility. Props to the FO.

(03-30-2016, 05:42 PM)Joelist Wrote: Signing LaFell is us showing we learned the lesson in 2014 about needing experienced depth.

Yup. Hopefully they also add a draft pick or two. Like BD said, just one injury and we're looking at Tate starting.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
so last year he caught 37 passes for 515 yards and no TD's and released by the Pats, so why is this a great signing?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 06:07 PM)3wt Wrote: His film looks good.  Not a real speedster but very quick with really reliable hands.  And at 6 ft. 211 lbs. he has good size.  Very competitive.  Fights for the ball. 

Biggest knock is separating from top notch press defenders.  Apparently was pretty much shut down by Trae Waynes.  But that was the only specific negative I heard on him, and heck - AJ has been shut down by good corners too.

I'd love this guy.

Sounds like a good one for us in the 2nd if Sterling Shepard or Michael Thomas are gone.

Corey Coleman reminds me of Steve Smith more, he can get seperation and fights for the ball a lot like him.

Doesn't have the size of Treadwell, Doctson or Thomas but has the will to beat his man consistently.

Coleman is still the receiver i want most at 24 if we go that route. But i love Treadwell or Doctson right there with him.

(03-30-2016, 06:10 PM)3wt Wrote: Yeah this allows us to do what we have been doing.  Take the best player available.  

I'd love it if we could grab Reggie to go along with this.

I would like it even better if we got Reggie, that is for sure.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 05:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Happy days. Very good FA for us this year. Much better than i expected.

Iloka, Adam, Dansby and Lafell is great considering what we were facing. Lafell tops it off and opens up the Draft.
I would not be against a receiver in the first especially if one of the top 4 fall to us but i hope we don't reach for
one just because they are flying off the board.

Sterling Shepard in the 2nd would be great or Michael Thomas.

I don't know if we need a LB as much with the Dansby signing. I think he can tutor up Dawson and Flowers into
a pair of very good backers.

I would love one of the stud DT's in the 1st round.

I might even reach for Thomas in the 1st because I have a hard time believing he'll be there in the 2nd, and I want a WR and NT in rounds 1 and 2, which is weird considering that those are more role positions.

Actually, if Thomas falls to the second, I'd take him, but I might wait to grab a guy a bit later if Thomas isn't there.  

I think this opens the door for us to maybe take a center early if we're big on a guy like Kelly or Martin.
Reply/Quote
LaFell is a great bounce back candidate. He's only a year removed from being a key player on a championship team.

He's not exactly a star, but he's not some scrub like Denarius Moore or Greg Little.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 06:17 PM)GodFather Wrote: so last year he caught 37 passes for 515 yards and no TD's and released by the Pats, so why is this a great signing?

At the very minimum (assuming he stays healthy), he replaces Sanu (33-394-0) for a lot less money and has produced numbers greater than Sanu in the past. 

And, if he has a really good training camp and preseason, maybe he becomes the #2...at least initially. 
Reply/Quote
I like the signing a whole lot, but I think we still need a receiver in the first round.

I hope it's not Treadwell. I know he's got some talent, but I don't like his speed. We need somebody who can get his ass down the field, and in this draft that means Coleman or Fuller. Docston, maybe. He's a 4.5, but those combine times can be a little slow. He's also got some damn good stats that show good tendencies in lack of drops, etc., which somebody posted earlier.

But this is a nice pickup. Last year was an aberration, mostly due to injury.

I love the Dansby pickup, too. Ready for the draft. I lift up mine eyes unto the Duke, from whence cometh our help.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 06:21 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I might even reach for Thomas in the 1st because I have a hard time believing he'll be there in the 2nd, and I want a WR and NT in rounds 1 and 2, which is weird considering that those are more role positions.

Actually, if Thomas falls to the second, I'd take him, but I might wait to grab a guy a bit later if Thomas isn't there.  

I think this opens the door for us to maybe take a center early if we're big on a guy like Kelly or Martin.

From what i hear the coaches are really high on Thomas, just seems a bit of a reach at this time but that all
changes as you get closer to the Draft. Thomas has nice size and is much more polished than Braxton.

Have to get a DT with this amount of depth coming out IMO.

Would absolutely love it if we got Kelly, i think he would help the team more than anything as Center is still a
weakness. I just doubt the coaches, specifically PA admit they were wrong about Bodine. This is my biggest
wish though going into this Draft once again. Just fix the Center position, it will help out the entire OL and the
entire team more than anything.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 06:17 PM)GodFather Wrote: so last year he caught 37 passes for 515 yards and no TD's and released by the Pats, so why is this a great signing?

He played only 11 games last year and still had 500 yards. The year before, he had almost 1,000 yards receiving. He had injury problems and when healthy, I think can be a decent #3.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote

Because he only played 11 games last year while recovering from an injury. So you really can't judge him solely on last season. 

The Pats were just clearing cap space by releasing LaFell and Scott Chandler. Both have been good players, but it looked like the Pats were fine without them. 

Fwiw, LaFell's numbers since 2012 pretty much match MLJ's and Sanu's combined totals.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 06:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Because he only played 11 games last year while recovering from an injury. So you really can't judge him solely on last season. 

The Pats were just clearing cap space by releasing LaFell and Scott Chandler. Both have been good players, but it looked like the Pats were fine without them. 

Fwiw, LaFell's numbers since 2012 pretty much match MLJ's and Sanu's combined totals.

If some have still not caught this...
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 05:27 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Love the signing but still think a first round WR would make since if Treadwell, Coleman, or Doctson were available at #24. If not one of those three then wait another round and grab Boyd, Thomas, or Shepherd.
Was the guy I wanted as was Dansby. Very happy with the FO for the way they managed this off season.
On a side note Treadwell may very well drop like a hot rock in this draft. The reports coming out about his workouts are very much in line with what some of my insider SEC guys have been telling me. He may not be the #1 that many have been lead to believe.
Reply/Quote

That is what worries me. Their WR corps is far from loaded. And LaFell really wasn't that expensive. Yet they pulled the plug. They were really mum on his injury last year too. Still not too sure what it was and if it could linger.

I like the move. It was needed. But people I'm not as hype as a lot on here.
Reply/Quote