Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Brandon LaFell has reached agreement w/ Bengals
(03-31-2016, 12:18 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Awesome. But we still need a legit #2 like Docston or Coleman.

LaFell should do well in the slot.

LaFell is a legit #2. He turns 30 in November though, so we do need to draft a long term replacement.

(03-31-2016, 10:19 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: my friend at work is a pats fan and says he was big in their last superbowl run but was hurt last year and never got on track.

Of course he was. He stepped up big during the regular season, caught a clutch game winning TD in the AFC championship and caught the first TD of their SB win. He's not the scrub some are painting him to be. He's not a #1 WR, but he's not Greg Little either. 

(03-31-2016, 12:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, that is my only problem with these signings. I think we should of gave them both 2 year deals instead of singles.

Agreed, but maybe their agents are hoping they have big years that will boost their value on the open market next year. At least it means they'll be highly motivated.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I watched some Lafell highlights (yes highlights) and what caught me by surprise was that he had a lot of YAC. Always thought he was a catch and drop kind of player. Will be interesting to see how he impacts the offense.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 01:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: LaFell is a legit #2. He turns 30 in November though, so we do need to draft a long term replacement.

Agreed, but maybe their agents are hoping they have big years that will boost their value on the open market next year. At least it means they'll be highly motivated.

Would be a good idea to add atleast 1 WR in the Draft and a LB'er as well because of the 1 year deals.

If these guys play as well as they could they pry won't be back the following year. Have to prepare.
Reply/Quote
one year confirmed

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 06:03 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: LaFell was a great signing, and is a solid replacement for Marvin Jones. He's just as good as Jones PLUS he's more durable.

Then explain his market value. 

Did he just sign a 1 year deal here, for most likely less than 1/4 of what Marvin Jones sees per year, simply because he's a nice guy or was feeling generous?  If he was as good, then explain it to me.  

Like I said, I have no problem with that signing.  And I would rather pay him less, than pay Jones or Sanu more.  I even compared Lafell's talent level to that of Sanu's.  But here is a reason his market was nowhere near Marvin Jones'.  It's because he's not as good.

Legit #2 receivers, top half of the league #2's, don't sign 1 year deals for under 3 mil, at the age of 29.  He's a serviceable, that is really joining a team to compete to be the third option.  Green and Eifert are options  and 2. 

I really don't understand why some of you get so defensive about such obvious statements.  Like that Weezy dude who seems to have a hard-on for busting my balls about every single thing.   "Pretty much everything said here is bs."  No it's not.  Brandon Lafell is not that good.  And that's ok.  Deal with it.

No reason to get all bent out of shape about someone saying they're not super excited about a signing that no other team would get super excited about.  He provides some depth and he's crazy cheap.  He's ok.  Nowhere near an ideal 2, but we really don't need one. 
Reply/Quote
I'm sure his plan is to increase his value and try to hit pay dirt one last time, as he'll be 30 when FA opens up 2017.

I would have to guess that he wanted the 1 year as much or more than we did.  He would have saw next to nothing in guarantees this season, from anyone.  So this makes sense.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 03:32 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote:  Like that Weezy dude who seems to have a hard-on for busting my balls about every single thing.   "Pretty much everything said here is bs."  No it's not.  Brandon Lafell is not that good.  And that's ok.  Deal with it.

Yes it was pretty much all BS.

You claimed that Lafell did not produce at Carolina after Smitth left, but Lafell was never with Carolina after Smith left.

You claimed Gronk missed "significant time" and Amendola missed "half of the season" the year LaFell had 900+ yards, but Gronk only missed one game and Amendola played all 16.

You are entitled to your opinion, but you can't just amke stuff up and then act upset when you get called out on it.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 03:32 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Then explain his market value. 

Did he just sign a 1 year deal here, for most likely less than 1/4 of what Marvin Jones sees per year, simply because he's a nice guy or was feeling generous?  If he was as good, then explain it to me.  

Like I said, I have no problem with that signing.  And I would rather pay him less, than pay Jones or Sanu more.  I even compared Lafell's talent level to that of Sanu's.  But here is a reason his market was nowhere near Marvin Jones'.  It's because he's not as good.

Legit #2 receivers, top half of the league #2's, don't sign 1 year deals for under 3 mil, at the age of 29.  He's a serviceable, that is really joining a team to compete to be the third option.  Green and Eifert are options  and 2. 

I really don't understand why some of you get so defensive about such obvious statements.  Like that Weezy dude who seems to have a hard-on for busting my balls about every single thing.   "Pretty much everything said here is bs."  No it's not.  Brandon Lafell is not that good.  And that's ok.  Deal with it.

No reason to get all bent out of shape about someone saying they're not super excited about a signing that no other team would get super excited about.  He provides some depth and he's crazy cheap.  He's ok.  Nowhere near an ideal 2, but we really don't need one. 

So what people get paid is how good they are? I guess that means Joe Flacco is the best QB in the league, and Eli Manning is right there with him. Just because someone got a good deal on him means nothing.

LaFell has had just as much if not more production than Marvin Jones, so other than "oh well he gets paid more" what proof do you have that Jones is better?

Again. What does the deal that he just signed do with anything. The deal that people sign does NOT signify how good they are.

My previous post showed how everything you said in your post was BS.

Why don't you show some evidence that he's not an "ideal #2", because I can show how he's BETTER than Marvin Jones due to stats and him being more durable.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 01:42 PM)Stormborn Wrote: one year confirmed

A one year deal should signify a WR draft pick in the first two rounds.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 04:17 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: A one year deal should signify a WR draft pick in the first two rounds.

Essentially guarantees it. Said he was comfortable as the #2 or #3 WR, and I'm assuming he doesn't mean Tate as the other option besides him.
Reply/Quote

Hahaha you are judging a players ability based on their market value? NOW I have heard it all. 

If that were the case, Jay Cutler would be a top 5 QB in the league. 

Im not busting your balls, just fact checking you. You seem to complain about pretty much everything that this team does.

Lafell is a good signing. Just give him a chance.

The organization just signed a comparable player to Jones about about 1/4 of the cost. Be happy.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

I would say MLJ and Sanu got paid more because they're viewed as young players on the rise, whereas LaFell is coming up on 30 and coming back from a disappointing season and injury. Is LaFell a little riskier? Sure. Is he someone that can stick around for 5 more years? Probably not. And that's why there's so much difference in pay. It's not so much that MLJ and Sanu have been much better on the field.

I do agree with your next post. LaFell is most likely the one who pushed for a 1 year deal, as he's trying to reestablish his value after a bad season. That kind of proves what I'm saying though. LaFell's value was down after the season he just had.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
One year $2.5 mil for LaFell, I'll take that any day over what Sanu got. Good deal

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5188/brandon-lafell
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 04:20 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Essentially guarantees it. Said he was comfortable as the #2 or #3 WR, and I'm assuming he doesn't mean Tate as the other option besides him.

Tate starting is so damn scary to think of.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Can't wait for draft night Big Grin

Please Doctson/Treadwell drop to us at #24.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 04:34 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: One year $2.5 mil for LaFell, I'll take that any day over what Sanu got. Good deal

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5188/brandon-lafell

Heck, I'll take it over MLJ's deal too. Sanu's deal was crazy but MLJ's was almost as ridiculous. 

5 years, 40 million (20 guaranteed) for a guy with a career high of 800 yards and an injury history?
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 04:35 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Tate starting is so damn scary to think of.

Only a Mike Mitchell hit away 2 weeks our of the year.

One day he won't play for us, one day.
Reply/Quote
They mentioned in Hobson's article trying to get him in the slot more. Said he was very productive there in Carolina, but hasn't gotten to work out of there much since. I think we draft an outside WR and let him stay in the slot. This sounds like a good plan to me.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 05:14 PM)Au165 Wrote: They mentioned in Hobson's article trying to get him in the slot more. Said he was very productive there in Carolina, but hasn't gotten to work out of there much since. I think we draft an outside WR and let him stay in the slot. This sounds like a good plan to me.

We didn't seem to use slot WR much last season, but that could obviously change with Zampese taking over.

I'm fine with drafting a guy to play outside. There's some good WR prospects available if we spend a 1st rounder. Maybe a couple decent ones may be around in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
I think he will do better in our system because we have a true #1 receiver and he will still benefit from TE/RB options on our team. I just hope he's healthy this year and can benefit from a full training camp. He will get a fair shake in cincy and you really can't beat the value considering the numbers sanu and jones got lol.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote