Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Brandon LaFell has reached agreement w/ Bengals
(03-31-2016, 12:18 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Awesome. But we still need a legit #2 like Docston or Coleman.

LaFell should do well in the slot.
I'm really starting to dig Rashard Higgins. He reminds me of a young Chad Johnson a little. ?
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 11:24 PM)Benton Wrote: I'd pug it Green, then Eifert, then LaFell, Rex, Wright/Alford, Tate.

I was really only talking about WRs. But yes Eifert should be the #2 target next year with Jones gone. Still there just has to be better depth after LaFell at WR. Eifert and Wright have both missed entire seasons.

Rex makes for a nice 5th WR option or something like that, but to have Rex as the 3rd WR is a dicey at best.

I'm not interested in 2014 all over again. Dalton has been average when he has average receivers to work with. When he has lots of quality options, he's a top 10 QB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 12:29 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I was really only talking about WRs. But yes Eifert should be the #2 target next year with Jones gone. Still there just has to be better depth after LaFell at WR. Eifert and Wright have both missed entire seasons.

Rex makes for a nice 5th WR option or something like that, but to have Rex as the 3rd WR is a dicey at best.

I'm not interested in 2014 all over again. Dalton has been average when he has average receivers to work with. When he has lots of quality options, he's a top 10 QB.

Dalton hasn't been average with average receivers. In 2013 he had slightly above average receivers (and he played very well) and in 2015 he had great receivers. Every other year he's had well below average.
Reply/Quote
I've got mixed feelings on this one.  

Given who was left, the little amount he most likely costs, and how much I think both Marvin Jones and Sanu got overpaid, I don't really have a problem with the signing.  I mean, I would rather pay Lafell whatever we're paying than pay Jones 8 mil per or Sanu 7 mil per, or whatever.  So in that respect, I think it worked out ok.

But, with all that said, I'm not terribly excited, nor optimistic that Lafell will be a great contributor.  I actually see him, as far as worth or value, and not necessarily skill set, very similar to Jerome Simpson.  He's a veteran, who has some talent, who can provide some depth, but is nowhere near a ideal #2.   He's just a guy.  A middling talent, who when given reps, will give your somewhere around 700 yards. And that's ok enough I suppose.  The world of NFL #2's needs their Lafell's and Rueben Randle's.

But here's how I see Lafell, for those who are curious as to why I'm not doing cartwheels:

Carolina was BEGGING for production after Steve Smith left.  He never came anywhere close to delivering, which is why they drafted Benjamin.  

And New England, good God did they need help the year he posted 900 yards.  Gronk missed significant time, Wes Welker just left, the newly acquired Amendola missed half the year, they were left playing a bunch of nobodies.  BEGGING for any vet to catch balls FROM TOM FREAKING BRADY.  So I kinda think that production was a tad of a fluke.  And last year pft.  Terrible performance.  Injured or no, the drops are concerning.

So do I love the signing?  No.  Do I think he's better or even as good as Marvin Jones?  No. (I would say he's similar to Sanu though)  Would I have rather have had Mike Wallace?  Definitely.  But it still makes sense I guess.  I just hope they look to draft a WR in the first 3 rounds.  Because there's no doubt we need more depth.
Reply/Quote
LaFell serves the purpose of giving us someone on the roster besides Green at WR who has actual NFL reps. I fully expect us to further reload the position in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 02:53 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I've got mixed feelings on this one.  

Given who was left, the little amount he most likely costs, and how much I think both Marvin Jones and Sanu got overpaid, I don't really have a problem with the signing.  I mean, I would rather pay Lafell whatever we're paying than pay Jones 8 mil per or Sanu 7 mil per, or whatever.  So in that respect, I think it worked out ok.

But, with all that said, I'm not terribly excited, nor optimistic that Lafell will be a great contributor.  I actually see him, as far as worth or value, and not necessarily skill set, very similar to Jerome Simpson.  He's a veteran, who has some talent, who can provide some depth, but is nowhere near a ideal #2.   He's just a guy.  A middling talent, who when given reps, will give your somewhere around 700 yards. And that's ok enough I suppose.  The world of NFL #2's needs their Lafell's and Rueben Randle's.

But here's how I see Lafell, for those who are curious as to why I'm not doing cartwheels:

Carolina was BEGGING for production after Steve Smith left.  He never came anywhere close to delivering, which is why they drafted Benjamin.  

And New England, good God did they need help the year he posted 900 yards.  Gronk missed significant time, Wes Welker just left, the newly acquired Amendola missed half the year, they were left playing a bunch of nobodies.  BEGGING for any vet to catch balls FROM TOM FREAKING BRADY.  So I kinda think that production was a tad of a fluke.  And last year pft.  Terrible performance.  Injured or no, the drops are concerning.

So do I love the signing?  No.  Do I think he's better or even as good as Marvin Jones?  No. (I would say he's similar to Sanu though)  Would I have rather have had Mike Wallace?  Definitely.  But it still makes sense I guess.  I just hope they look to draft a WR in the first 3 rounds.  Because there's no doubt we need more depth.

Yeah... ~700 yards just like Marvin Jones... oh wait.

LaFell also left the same year as Steve Smith, so I don't see your point about Carolina was begging him to produce. In fact the year Carolina drafted Benjamin LaFell had almost 1k yards and 7 TDs.

Last year almost every single drop LaFell had came from the game he came back from injury. He had 2 drops the year before. LaFell doesn't have bad hands. Gronk played 15 games that year, and Amendola didn't miss a game, and he still got almost 1k yards and 7 TDs. I don't know where you're getting that they were hurt most of the season.

LaFell was a great signing, and is a solid replacement for Marvin Jones. He's just as good as Jones PLUS he's more durable.
Reply/Quote
And the long wait is over.

Good signing.
Reply/Quote
50-60 balls 700 yards and 6 scores sounds about right and is decent production.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Your thoughts are confusing. LaFell was not signed to be our #1 receiver and was not signed anywhere close to number1 money. Is he is good as MJ? I don't know, but my guess was paid 50% of what MJ contracts signed in 2016. It is like you expected us  to go get a #1 receiver (even though Jones and Sanu will never put up elite #1 numbers) at a rookie price scale. Also, his numbers were good the last year he was in Carolina and when healthy, he put up solid number 2 numbers.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I don't mind the signing one bit..in fact I think he has the potential to put up numbers like jones who left for 8 million per year.

He will get single coverage and because of that have a productive year as long as he is healthy.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 03:23 AM)Joelist Wrote: LaFell serves the purpose of giving us someone on the roster besides Green at WR who has actual NFL reps. I fully expect us to further reload the position in the draft.

Based on it being a one year contract the bengals have to reload in the draft. If we are thinking they stick with their M-O
Reply/Quote

Pretty much everything you said here is complete BS. 

You realize that Marvin Jones averaged about 700-750 yards a season (when he played) with the Bengals, right? 

Lafell had a pretty good season in 2014, 900 yards and 7 TDs, but we're going to dismiss it as a fluke, hm....

Lafell vs. Edelman (did you forget about him?) stats from 2014. Nearly identical. You could even argue that Lafell's are better.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/12576/year/2014/brandon-lafell

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/12649/year/2014/julian-edelman

I think people on this board overrate Marvin Jones, honestly. Throughout his entire career there are games where Jones completely disappeared. He was always good for a big play here and there, but he was nowhere near the possession receiver that this offense needed at times.

Lafell can fill the void. Have a little faith in the guy.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 09:19 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Your thoughts are confusing. LaFell was not signed to be our #1 receiver and was not signed anywhere close to number1 money. Is he is good as MJ? I don't know, but my guess was paid 50% of what MJ contracts signed in 2016. It is like you expected us  to go get a #1 receiver (even though Jones and Sanu will never put up elite #1 numbers) at a rookie price scale. Also, his numbers were good the last year he was in Carolina and when healthy, he put up solid number 2 numbers.

my friend at work is a pats fan and says he was big in their last superbowl run but was hurt last year and never got on track.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 10:19 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: my friend at work is a pats fan and says he was big in their last superbowl run but was hurt last year and never got on track.

Maybe its a case like we saw with Geno.. It just takes a year to get back at that level.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 10:19 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: my friend at work is a pats fan and says he was big in their last superbowl run but was hurt last year and never got on track.

This was exactly the case. Anyone that watched football in 2014 can remember that, even though some want to dismiss it as "fluke". 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 10:01 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Based on it being a one year contract the bengals have to reload in the draft.  If we are thinking they stick with their M-O

Do we know it's a one-year contract? Dansby's was, but I expect it's because he's 35 years old. LaFell is only 29. I expect LaFell to get a 2-3 year contract due to the lack of quality players at WR. Even if the Bengals draft a WR high, they still only would have three WR spots that could be trusted to produce (Green, LaFell, high draft pick).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 10:39 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Do we know it's a one-year contract? Dansby's was, but I expect it's because he's 35 years old. LaFell is only 29. I expect LaFell to get a 2-3 year contract due to the lack of quality players at WR. Even if the Bengals draft a WR high, they still only would have three WR spots that could be trusted to produce (Green, LaFell, high draft pick).
Well according to sport trac

CURRENT CONTRACT

Brandon LaFell signed a 1 year, - contract with the Cincinnati Bengals, including an average annual salary of -. In 2016, LaFell will earn. LaFell has a cap hit of .

Contract:1 yr(s) / -Signing Bonus-Average Salary-Guaranteed-Free Agent:2017 / UFA
Reply/Quote
I'm glad they got this deal wrapped up. LaFell was a nice signing. I would've liked to see Dansby and LaFell get 2 year deals, but at least they signed them. The Bengals could free up some space now by releasing Hawk and a drafted WR doesn't have to be the #2 on Day 1. This freed up the draft a bit, but I still expect a WR in the first 3 rounds.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 10:54 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Well according to sport trac

CURRENT CONTRACT

Brandon LaFell signed a 1 year, - contract with the Cincinnati Bengals, including an average annual salary of -. In 2016, LaFell will earn. LaFell has a cap hit of .

Contract:1 yr(s) / -Signing Bonus-Average Salary-Guaranteed-Free Agent:2017 / UFA

Interesting, as this seems to be the only place right now (that I can find anyway) that mentions any details of the contract. Even then, spotrac only mentions one-year deal but the rest is completely nonexistent.

If true, I'd rather it have been a 2-3 year deal since the rookie(s) might need more than just one year to emerge as a true WR2. LaFell's camp could have wanted a one-year deal though to try and build stock and look to get a better offer next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 11:16 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Interesting, as this seems to be the only place right now (that I can find anyway) that mentions any details of the contract. Even then, spotrac only mentions one-year deal but the rest is completely nonexistent.

If true, I'd rather it have been a 2-3 year deal since the rookie(s) might need more than just one year to emerge as a true WR2. LaFell's camp could have wanted a one-year deal though to try and build stock and look to get a better offer next year.

Yeah, that is my only problem with these signings. I think we should of gave them both 2 year deals instead of singles.
Reply/Quote