Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Brandon LaFell has reached agreement w/ Bengals
(03-31-2016, 01:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: LaFell is a legit #2. He turns 30 in November though, so we do need to draft a long term replacement.

I disagree. He's a much better suited slot receiver.

Looking at his playing time in the slot and outside, he's more productive in the slot.

In 2011, with Cam Newton setting rookie recrods, he ranked 6th on the team in receptions. In 2012 he actually didn't do too bad as a #2. In 2013 he spent more time in the slot as they used Ted Ginn on the outside.

In 2014 when he joined the Patriots he was moved in the slot and outside quite a few times.

However, in 2015 when he was asked to basically be more of a #2 and stay on the outside, his numbers dropped and he didn't consistently win.

LaFell is basically a replacement for Sanu, not Jones. And there's nothing wrong with that, LaFell can play in the slot and outside, but he's not going to win on the outside consistently. He needs to move around, that's his strength.

We still need a legit #2 who is going to consistently be able to win on the outside.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 05:40 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I disagree. He's a much better suited slot receiver.

Looking at his playing time in the slot and outside, he's more productive in the slot.

In 2011, with Cam Newton setting rookie recrods, he ranked 6th on the team in receptions. In 2012 he actually didn't do too bad as a #2. In 2013 he spent more time in the slot as they used Ted Ginn on the outside.

In 2014 when he joined the Patriots he was moved in the slot and outside quite a few times.

However, in 2015 when he was asked to basically be more of a #2 and stay on the outside, his numbers dropped and he didn't consistently win.

LaFell is basically a replacement for Sanu, not Jones. And there's nothing wrong with that, LaFell can play in the slot and outside, but he's not going to win on the outside consistently. He needs to move around, that's his strength.

We still need a legit #2 who is going to consistently be able to win on the outside.

If I remember right, he's played 60-65 of his snaps in slot. Or maybe that was just in Carolina.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 05:40 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I disagree. He's a much better suited slot receiver.

LaFell was on the outside WAAAY more often than in the slot in the Patriots offense. The Slot was pretty much Edelmans spot. LaFell produced on the outside, and him having reduced stats in 2015 was due to him being injured.
Reply/Quote
I hope he is beat out of the second and third WR positions. That means we have guys competing and mr dropsies takes on a mentor type role.
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
Once again the Bengals are smart. LaFell for $2.5 million is a way better deal than Sanu at $7 million for a #3 WR. Now just draft a decent guy in the earlier rounds to become our #2 WR and things will be good.
Reply/Quote
Let's be honest. LaFell is here to give us a veteran WR not named AJ Green. I fully expect to see us to WR early in the draft to reload - say hello Will Fuller....
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 05:40 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: 1. I disagree. He's a much better suited slot receiver.

2. In 2011, with Cam Newton setting rookie recrods, he ranked 6th on the team in receptions. In 2012 he actually didn't do too bad as a #2. In 2013 he spent more time in the slot as they used Ted Ginn on the outside.

3. In 2014 when he joined the Patriots he was moved in the slot and outside quite a few times.

4. LaFell is basically a replacement for Sanu, not Jones. And there's nothing wrong with that, LaFell can play in the slot and outside, but he's not going to win on the outside consistently. He needs to move around, that's his strength.

5. We still need a legit #2 who is going to consistently be able to win on the outside.

1. LaFell's best season came on the outside, so it's very debatable that this is where he's best suited. That said, judging from Hobson's comments, it looks like it may be where we use him.

2. He only started 6 games that year and had 56 targets. You could say he was a young WR trying to break through. Much like MLJ and Sanu took 2-3 seasons to really reach the level they're at now.

3. I'd love to see the official snap counts in the slot and outside with the Pats, as he was usually playing outside when I watched them in '14.

4. You're speculating just as I'm speculating. The truth is that neither of us know how LaFell is going to be used, and much of it probably depends on (a) if we draft a outside WR and (b) if that WR is ready to make an impact as a rookie. 

5. LaFell has won plenty on the outside. I guess we'll just have to disagree.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This is a good signing after losing our #2 and #3 WRs early in free agency....We might be able to replace one in the draft, but not two......So we get a WR with Super Bowl experience, we could use it.......From what I've read, he should at least fill the #3 WR spot, maybe even #2 at first......and getting Dansby as a LB in free agency sets up drafting a WR in round 1......

A round 1 WR, LaFell at WR and Dansby at LB all fill the huge holes we had going into 2016 season and keep this train on the play-off win bound tracks to the Super Bowl station. .....good free agent signings.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 06:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. LaFell's best season came on the outside, so it's very debatable that this is where he's best suited. That said, judging from Hobson's comments, it looks like it may be where we use him.

2. He only started 6 games that year and had 56 targets. You could say he was a young WR trying to break through. Much like MLJ and Sanu took 2-3 seasons to really reach the level they're at now.

3. I'd love to see the official snap counts in the slot and outside with the Pats, as he was usually playing outside when I watched them in '14.

4. You're speculating just as I'm speculating. The truth is that neither of us know how LaFell is going to be used, and much of it probably depends on (a) if we draft a outside WR and (b) if that WR is ready to make an impact as a rookie. 

5. LaFell has won plenty on the outside. I guess we'll just have to disagree.

Coleman sure would be a great pick at 24 if he is there. Green, Lafell and Coleman would give Defenses' fits.

All can play Slot and out Wide, same with Eifert.

Eifert be the TD machine when they forget.
Reply/Quote
I think Mike Wallace at 2 years, 11 million would have been a much, much better fit, and one we could easily afford. But I still think Lafell at 2.5 sure beats the money Marvin Jones and Sanu got.

Regardless, I'm glad to see this move done. I was scared death of going into the season with that collection of turds behind AJ, and a rookie or two.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 11:28 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think Mike Wallace at 2 years, 11 million would have been a much, much  better fit, and one we could easily afford.  But I still think Lafell at 2.5 sure beats the money Marvin Jones and Sanu got.

Regardless, I'm glad to see this move done.  I was scared death of going into the season with that collection of turds behind AJ, and a rookie or two.

I  liked the thought of Wallace, but he threw his QB under the bus once he left Minny; I just hope he fully implodes in Balt. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Lafell is an ideal bridge player. He's the #2 until the drafted rookie(s) or other WR takes that job. The 1 year deal makes mutual sense. Lafell gets to showcase himself in hopes of a few years after the season at a higher rate. 2.5M is great value for a #2 and solid for a #3. If we keep bringing up drops then keep bringing up Eifert's rate too....the real #2 in this offense.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 11:28 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think Mike Wallace at 2 years, 11 million would have been a much, much  better fit, and one we could easily afford.  

$4.5 million signing bonus, and $4.5 million guaranteed.  His cap hit next year will be $8 million and if the Ravens release him it will be $2.5 million in dead money.

He might be better than LaFell, but he might not.  It has been 5 years since Wallace had a season with more yards than Lafell gained in '14.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 08:12 PM)kevin Wrote: This is a good signing after losing our #2 and #3 WRs early in free agency....We might be able to replace one in the draft, but not two......So we get a WR with Super Bowl experience, we could use it.......From what I've read, he should at least fill the #3 WR spot, maybe even #2 at first......and getting Dansby as a LB in free agency sets up drafting a WR in round 1......

A round 1 WR, LaFell at WR and Dansby at LB all fill the huge holes we had going into 2016 season and keep this train on the play-off win bound tracks to the Super Bowl station. .....good free agent signings.

I agree. At this point I'm not sure that they could have fared much better after losing Jones & Sanu. If they can manage to bring back Nelson (Fingers crossed) & have another good draft it would definitely keep this train rolling.
Reply/Quote
Brandon LaFell interview after signing w/ us :)

http://www.espn1530.com/onair/mo-egger-9170/listen-my-interview-with-new-bengals-14555249/
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
I like this signing a lot, but does anyone have a breakdown on his dropped passes per season? From what I've read his hands are questionable at best. He certainly was BPA in free agency and arguably just as good of a player as Marvin Jones. I do hope we get the 2014 version of him.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 06:23 PM)Joelist Wrote: Let's be honest. LaFell is here to give us a veteran WR not named AJ Green. I fully expect to see us to WR early in the draft to reload - say hello Will Fuller....

I like Fuller, but his hands are pretty bad. 9 drops each of the last two seasons.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 12:04 PM)pdub2005 Wrote: I like this signing a lot, but does anyone have a breakdown on his dropped passes per season? From what I've read his hands are questionable at best. He certainly was BPA in free agency and arguably just as good of a player as Marvin Jones. I do hope we get the 2014 version of him.

Julian Edelman has more drops in 2 seasons, '13/'14 (and fumbles) than Lafell in his entire career.

Lafell has 6 more targets in his career and has played 1 season less.

Looks like the Ex-Pats kept the wrong guy...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 12:17 PM)pdub2005 Wrote: I like Fuller, but his hands are pretty bad. 9 drops each of the last two seasons.

I think it's pretty funny that LaFell is getting ripped for drops (when he really doesn't have a big drop problem), then people turn around and want guys like Fuller and Coleman who actually do have big drop issues. I like Coleman myself and I'd consider him at 24, but people should be aware of the drops these WRs had in college.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 01:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think it's pretty funny that LaFell is getting ripped for drops (when he really doesn't have a big drop problem), then people turn around and want guys like Fuller and Coleman who actually do have big drop issues. I like Coleman myself and I'd consider him at 24, but people should be aware of the drops these WRs had in college.

Well said, and tbh as talented as Coleman is he scares the crap out of me at #1. I understand that Art Briles is a heck of an offensive coach but Baylor's track record on skill position players is shaky at best. Gordon: Controversy. 
RGIII: Controversy. T. Williams: Average at best but does his job.
The last Baylor player that Cincy drafted (be it a 7th rounder I believe): Cut
Personally, I like Doctson but I think either could help the team. 
LaFell is better than some want to believe. He has a SB ring in a season where he caught 7 tds and was 47 yards short of having a 1000 yard receiving year. He will be hungry for a new contract and should be able to contribute in Cincy.
Reply/Quote