Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon Tate
(08-30-2016, 05:58 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: We all know Tate will get picked up by a team and run back a punt for a TD against us.

[Image: th?id=OIP.M8e0919897f1d22b037b07eb33311c...=300&h=300]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 12:15 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Tate wasn't nearly as bad as some of you guys make him out to be he just got blacklisted the same way Kirkpatrick, Nugent and others have. Not saying these people havent had low points but they literally can't do anything right to please some.

Nugent has been horrible already this year and it's preseason. He's earned his blacklist
Reply/Quote
Good luck to him wherever he goes. Hopefully the Stoolers,Ratbirds or Turds don't get him.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 12:03 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Best wishes to Tate !  

This is a head scratcher to me though. Thought many years this may happen when we were loaded at WR.

Yet never expected it to happen this year when WR corps so depleted and young.

Erickson has been very solid though.

I have no problem with Tate finally being let go. Although he seemed to be having a very good preseason at WR. I suspect we'll see him again as an opponent. I hope he doesn't get really good between now and then. Nervous
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 06:37 PM)Derrick Wrote: I have no problem with Tate finally being let go. Although he seemed to be having a very good preseason at WR. I suspect we'll see him again as an opponent. I hope he doesn't get really good between now and then. Nervous

Like returning kick offs and punts for touchdowns!!   Facepalm
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 01:40 PM)Benton Wrote: I was indifferent on Tate, but, as I've said before, I have wondered in the past if that spot could be better served by someone who might develop into a better receiver. At some point, you've got move on from a player and start preparing for the next guy who is going to fill his spot. We've got a very talented class of guys at WR with very little experience. This move may hurt us some this season, but it's maybe the best time to move on at returns and receiving.

I bet there was some intense "debating" going on in the war room about Tate prior to the final decision to let him go. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 06:17 PM)zygrot24 Wrote: Nugent has been horrible already this year and it's preseason. He's earned his blacklist

Yes the 2nd most accurate kicker in bengals history has earned his blacklist
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 07:15 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Yes the 2nd most accurate kicker in bengals history has earned his blacklist

The second most accurate kicker in Bengals history, but who also consistently ranks near the bottom of his NFL counterparts.  The franchise can set a higher bar.
Reply/Quote
I wanted it to happen.

And now i'm just sad.
Reply/Quote
Mike Nugent now takes over Brandon Tate's mantle as the most despised Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 01:47 PM)GodFather Wrote: Quite frankly, it wasn't the fumbles that Tate had in his career here but his boneheaded decisions bringing the ball out of the end zone time and time again putting the offense in a bad starting place. How many times did you cringe when you saw him ramp up and run out of the end zone when he was so deep in it? Very rarely did it equate to something good.

I for one am glad he's gone, his contribution wasn't anything this team will miss this season.

You make a good point.  Rarely did one of Tate's returns make it to the 25 yard line... and that's the touchback placement this year.  Way I see it our offense just gained 6 or 7 yards on each return by our receiving team putting down a knee.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I will miss Tate and his sure hands, I got to the point where even in crucial times in the games, I never worried about a muffed punt, he was steady but the Bengals I think finally felt they had someone (Erickson) who offered them enough at WR and Returner that they could not pass up.
Reply/Quote
I really didn't think they would do it...That said, I am fine with it. Good luck to you Brandon. Later Tater.
Reply/Quote
Well, now time to sign a veteran.  Anyone available?
Reply/Quote
This team doesn't cut reasonably priced reliable vets for nothing. Obviously they're really impressed with Erickson and think he'll be a significant upgrade, otherwise Tate would be back for his 6th season. For that reason, I'm pretty excited to see what Erickson can do. I'm still worried about our WR depth, although Tate didn't offer much there himself. At least Erickson could possibly have some potential there.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 11:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This team doesn't cut reasonably priced reliable vets for nothing. Obviously they're really impressed with Erickson and think he'll be a significant upgrade, otherwise Tate would be back for his 6th season. For that reason, I'm pretty excited to see what Erickson can do. I'm still worried about our WR depth, although Tate didn't offer much there himself. At least Erickson could possibly have some potential there.

I think Erickson could provide some value in the slot if Lafell ends up not working out and we play Boyd on the outside more. Or we could just end up lining up Core for a lot of deep routes in the vein of a Chris Henry type role with AJ and Boyd on the field. Either way, though I'm worried about experience, I'm definitely not worried about our talent at WR so far. It definitely wouldn't hurt to be on the lookout for another vet WR if Lafell continues to sizzle out.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 05:58 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: We all know Tate will get picked up by a team and run back a punt for a TD against us.

Hum, since Tate is definitely not known for his return TDs, I believe I'll take the extra return yardage we'll be getting from the younger guys and call this a positive move for the team.

I've long wanted an upgrade over Tate. He's not a bad returner, but my argument has always been that we can do better so we should do better. Pretty simple really. I've never understood the fascination some have with hanging on to him.

Reply/Quote
I would actually have really liked to keep Tate on the team, but for the last few years the Bengals been looking for someone to upgrade him with. He was better that all of those guys, but with Erickson, they could have something special. I know it's just some preseason games, but he's had an awesome showing.

Here's hoping he lives up to his new found hype.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
You guys are kidding right? Tate is gone? Damn, we're gonna win a super bowl now. Seriously, a horrible punt returner is just as bad, if not worse that a bad field goal kicker. This is good news. Hope Adam Jones gets in Erickons head and teaches him a little on returning in the nfl.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2016, 08:44 PM)Beaker Wrote: Mike Nugent now takes over Brandon Tate's mantle as the most despised Bengal.

Nuge vs Dre steel cage match
Reply/Quote