Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking: Burfict Suspended (Again)
(03-19-2018, 03:56 PM)kevin Wrote: Bengals tried to trade him Friday to Raiders, so Bengals are not against trading him.  Now this, and if Burficts appeal fails it means around 11M of his contract is void and Bengals don't have to pay it.  The Bengals saw more suspensions coming with this dude and lawyers put a suspension clause in.  Bengals were trying to trade him to Raiders Friday. If Burficts appeal fails, the Bengals get out of a lot of this contract, making it even more easy unload Burfict yet again suspended, the Bengals trying to free up cap space money anyway. Had the deal gone down Friday with Raiders, he would already be gone.  To those wanting to see Burfict and the new LB added, it could happen, but Bengals trying to trade him makes it look like the new guy's contract means the often suspended Burfict payroll will go to help pay the new LB.  The new LB has been starting 16 games a season, something Burfict hasn't been coming close to. I repeat, had the deal gone down Friday, Burfict would be a Raider and already gone. Bengals have been engaged in trade talks on moving Burfict to another team.

Dear Kevin....

The report that Burfict was being traded or shopped originated from some goof of a local sports reporter, Chris Renkel....... from WIAT Channel 42 IN FREAKING ALABAMA. Your post is stupid, ignorant, and contains information that has since been refuted as NOT TRUE by everyone and their brother including the actual local Cincinnati sports reporters, such as Dave Lapham, and others who have connections and insights to the team. Please, don't be stupid and ignorant. You might not have deductive reasoning skills, but you do have GOOGLE. Please use it before posting.  Ninja

Signed
- The Internet 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 06:32 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I don't really get all this conspiracy stuff against the Bengals.  They have not been really relevant for decades.  So why would the NFL conspire against them?   I don't really see Goodell having a staff meeting and saying, "I know it is a small market team that has not won a playoff game in decades, so how can we screw the Bengals this year?  Should we find a way to suspend Burfict again?  That will show them.  Mostly I just hate their mascot so let's find a way to screw them over. (insert evil laugh)"  

Actually, I think a lot of it goes back to Paul Brown. And, to carry on, Mike Brown and Jerry Jones seem to be the 2 who most often vote opposite of what other owners want. So couple that with the fact the Bengals *(and sometimes Ravens) are the biggest threats to Pissburgh winning the division each year, and there you have it...
Reply/Quote
I think there's a sense rather it be right or wrong that Renkel was vindicated. Now it's pretty much reported by National pundits that trade talks DID take place but was scuttled when Oakland found out he was suspended. I guess it's possible and even likely that Renkel lucked up and sensed something was up with Burfict leading up to the suspension.

Our local news reporters however can't talk. They didn't even know what was coming down the pike rumored or whispered. They looked like fools attacking people claiming the idea of trading Burfict was outrageous. Then the suspension hit and everyone on the net was like OH, now it makes sense. The dots were connected.

I don't know if the rumors were true or not, but I'm sure Renkel feels he got the scoop.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 12:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think there's a sense rather it be right or wrong that Renkel was vindicated. Now it's pretty much reported by National pundits that trade talks DID take place but was scuttled when Oakland found out he was suspended. I guess it's possible and even likely that Renkel lucked up and sensed something was up with Burfict leading up to the suspension.

Our local news reporters however can't talk. They didn't even know what was coming down the pike rumored or whispered. They looked like fools attacking people thinking trading Burfict was outrageous. Then the suspension hit and everyone on the net was like OH, now it makes sense.

I don't know if the rumors were true or not, but I'm sure Renkel feels he got the scoop.

I've not been able to find any articles corroborating Renkel's report, btut feel free to share if you come across any at some point as I would be interested in seeing what unfolded. Look, if the Raiders called the Bengals or something and were told they could have him for an absurd kings ransom, that doesn't = Reporting "Working on a trade". Even Raiders reporters are calling it BS. https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/3/14/17121408/raiders-reportedly-working-on-trade-for-bengals-lb-vontaze-burfict

I agree with the local beat writers sometimes (not always) being a step behind, but when Lap shot it down as laughable, I feel like that's as solid of an inside source as we can get. Hell, maybe some day something will spill out from this, but until then.... it's bogus.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 12:35 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I've not been able to find any articles corroborating Renkel's report, btut feel free to share if you come across any at some point as I would be interested in seeing what unfolded. Look, if the Raiders called the Bengals or something and were told they could have him for an absurd kings ransom, that doesn't = Reporting "Working on a trade". Even Raiders reporters are calling it BS. https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/3/14/17121408/raiders-reportedly-working-on-trade-for-bengals-lb-vontaze-burfict

I agree with the local beat writers sometimes (not always) being a step behind, but when Lap shot it down as laughable, I feel like that's as solid of an inside source as we can get.

Ian Rapoport appears to have confirmed that the Raiders and Bengals had trade talks regarding Burfict.

I Google searched "Ian Rapoport Burfict Raiders" to find articles.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 09:47 PM)McC Wrote: There is medication for a headache.  And the pain of a hurt shoulder too.

Yeah. But a concussion is not a headache. And ibuprofen isn't a PED. Neither is Toradol or any other pain med. Then he changed his story to an ADHD med. He's in trouble.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 12:47 PM)depthchart Wrote: Ian Rapoport appears to have confirmed that the Raiders and Bengals had trade talks regarding Burfict.

I Google searched "Ian Rapoport Burfict Raiders" to find articles.

I have zero faith in Ian Rapoport. It feels like this guy makes up random shit and often wrong.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 12:58 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Yeah. But a concussion is not a headache. And ibuprofen isn't a PED. Neither is Toradol or any other pain med. Then he changed his story to an ADHD med. He's in trouble.

I'm sure he is in trouble.  But a concussion is a really big headache.  You brain smashes into your skull.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 09:39 AM)McC Wrote: I'm sure he is in trouble.  But a concussion is a really big headache.  You brain smashes into your skull.

That’s what happened to me in the wreck....... granted that it was a lot faster in a car going 55+ mph and then coming to an abrupt stop, but it was my brain ricocheting in my skull that caused my brain injury and left me crippled.
Reply/Quote
Ian Rapoport is wrong about the Raiders/Burfict thing.
He was wrong about the contract thing.

No, a concussion is not a really big headache. You don't get medicine for a bruise on the brain. It has to heal on its own. And if he's taking meds for the SYMPTOMS of a concussion, then he shouldn't have been cleared to play anyway, which is a whole other issue. But that doesn't matter - Burfict changed his story after that anyway to Adderall.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 02:41 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Ian Rapoport is wrong about the Raiders/Burfict thing.

No, a concussion is not a really big headache. You don't get medicine for a bruise on the brain. It has to heal on its own. And if he's taking meds for the SYMPTOMS of a concussion, then he shouldn't have been cleared to play anyway, which is a whole other issue. But that doesn't matter - Burfict changed his story after that anyway to Adderall.

Nobody ever keeps a tally on how often the so called insiders or right or wrong because by the time the truth comes out, they have made a dozen other insider claims.   Being right doesn't even seem to part of the job description. 

And not to nitpick on concussions, but, and maybe I should have worded it differently, but a concussion COMES WITH a really big headache and that is beyond dispute.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I didn't want to start a new thread, because it's not new "news" - but the head coach did speak for the first time on this. Simply: Burfict is responsible for what he puts in his body - and he doesn't seem to think he'll get that suspension totally overturned.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/03/21/cincinnati-bengals-marvin-lewis-vontaze-burfict-suspension-wont-hold-us-back/447500002/
Reply/Quote
Feel bad for Marvin. Just keeps sticking his neck out for Burfict and keeps getting burned.

Adam Jones did it to him for years.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 05:14 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I didn't want to start a new thread, because it's not new "news" - but the head coach did speak for the first time on this. Simply: Burfict is responsible for what he puts in his body - and he doesn't seem to think he'll get that suspension totally overturned.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/03/21/cincinnati-bengals-marvin-lewis-vontaze-burfict-suspension-wont-hold-us-back/447500002/

Even though we don't see eye to eye on everything Bengals, I cannot express enoigh how much I appreciate your extra effort in posting on this message board and especially your Bengals Beat Podcast every week. I know you don't HAVE to do that. Thanks, Jim O!
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 02:41 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Ian Rapoport is wrong about the Raiders/Burfict thing.

Jowczarski,

Maybe you know more details...  but what all does burfict stand to lose being suspended.. I know game checks obviously but we had clauses in his contract to protect us.

Or does it just give us an out with no bad debt?
Reply/Quote
And here I thought this stuff happened in a vacuum. It ain't just Burfict...a bunch of NFL'ers got popped for PEDs recently. A quick google search turned up about 3 or 4 guys in the past couple of days.
Reply/Quote
Speaking of which. Notice how some handle it.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6564/corey-liuget

I don't expect him to apologize to fans or his teammates, he's never been that type, but it is a contrast on how to handle given what is probably similar circumstances.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 05:14 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I didn't want to start a new thread, because it's not new "news" - but the head coach did speak for the first time on this. Simply: Burfict is responsible for what he puts in his body - and he doesn't seem to think he'll get that suspension totally overturned.

If you had to guess, what are the chances that Burfict is cut or traded before the start of the season? 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 08:42 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: If you had to guess, what are the chances that Burfict is cut or traded before the start of the season? 

I know you didnt ask me but we would be crazy to trade him unless the deal was sweet. We won't cut him because there simply is nobody better. Can we renegotiate his contract? Hmmm.

Reply/Quote
He won't be cut or traded. The "trade" "rumor" wasn't a rumor. It wasn't a real thing, ever.
And they just signed him to a $30+M extension last summer. While he was suspended. This won't change their mind.
Reply/Quote