Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darrin Simmons is looking
(03-03-2022, 04:33 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Yeah just edited my post above because I just found that and it happened in December.  
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/12/22/22850575/bengals-pooka-williams-suspended-2-games-nfl-drug-policy

To be fair in my opinion a PED suspension is a bit away from something to do with drugs and NFL career may be over.    Especially since he has been signed to a reserve/futures contract since then.  :)

It's all good.  Glad we got to the bottom of it.  :)

Yeah, it isn't as bad as I originally stated. He could be back, like you said it isn't da terrible bad drugs. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 04:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, it isn't as bad as I originally stated. He could be back, like you said it isn't da terrible bad drugs. ThumbsUp

My bad and misunderstanding.  With talk about doing something stupid and career might be over I thought we were talking about being arrested.  Lots of players get PED suspensions and many of them have gone on to have solid NFL careers.  Of course it doesn't make it right or mean Pooka will have a great career or even a career.  Fringe players that get busted for PEDs are certainly more likely to be cut than starters and stars.   Just like starters and stars get more chances when they get busted for crimes than fringe players.  It's the hypocrisy of the league.

Here is an interesting recent article with a blurb from the article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/02/07/nfl-performance-enhancing-drugs-ped-steroids-suspensions/6645732001/

Quote:Since 2001, NFL players have been suspended for performance-enhancing drugs and related substances at least 258 times, including at least 82 times in the past five years, according to a newly published database compiled by USA TODAY Sports.  The violations have affected every team in the league and every position on the field, including players who have been named to the Pro Bowl and even long snappers, quarterbacks and at least one placekicker.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 02:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Chris Evans had a great freshman year at Michigan, again I ask what are you talking about Fred?

He was just a part time player.

614 yds in 13 games against college competition.

I don't consider that "great".  

And I guess that is why there were over 200 players selected before him in the draft.
Reply/Quote
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/changes-could-be-coming-to-the-punt-in-the-nfl/ar-AAUpoj8

I worry because the last time this happened it was to kickoffs, and it basically ruined/removed kickoff returns. If they do the same to punts then a dominant punt returner gets you nothing.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 06:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/changes-could-be-coming-to-the-punt-in-the-nfl/ar-AAUpoj8

I worry because the last time this happened it was to kickoffs, and it basically ruined/removed kickoff returns. If they do the same to punts then a dominant punt returner gets you nothing.

Overall I would guess that punts were a lot safer than kick offs.  On punts you only have 2 gunners.  On a kickoff you have 11.

When they were changing the kick off rules there were some suggestions to replace the kick off with a punt.  I thought that would have been a better idea than what they did.  Big kick off returns are pretty rare now.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 04:26 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Yes I understand his issues in college.  But I'm responding to a post form Nate:

It made me think something recent happened because he is as of now on the Bengals roster under a reserve/futures contract.  It appears since he was signed he has no issues since college that I can find.  Again, I'm not trying to argue for the sake of it.  I just can't find any news of him having legal problems since the Bengals signed him last year.

Okay wait, maybe I found something. Is this what Nate might be talking about from December?

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/12/22/22850575/bengals-pooka-williams-suspended-2-games-nfl-drug-policy

My bad, I didn't properly follow the flow of the conversation.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 02:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't mean to bash the guy. He has not looked bad. But he has done nothing either in college to justify the love he gets from some fans.

Reminds me of the hype Adeniji got around here. I never understood why so many fans were excited about him.

Fred.  What can you tell us about Tennessee's Velus Jones.
Reply/Quote
Marcus Jones from Houston
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 02:42 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I'm not sure what the plans are with Huber.  But I thought maybe Drue Chrisman was who they have been looking at as a potential replacement.  He was on and off the practice squad all season and then signed to a reserve/future contract in early February.

There is a more in depth articl in The Athletic but it flat out said if Chrisman hadn't broken his hand before training camp he might have won the position this season. Chrisman was the subject of 12 separate transactions last season.

He wants Huber back for the competition because he loves everythig about him EXCEPT how he punted down the stretch of the season.

We will see if Huber even wants to come back to try for a 14th season

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 07:53 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Fred.  What can you tell us about Tennessee's Velus Jones.

He just made himself a ton of money at the combine.

Jones has good size.  Built thick like Chase. 

Top return man.

To be honest Cedric Tillman over shadowed him and even JaVonta Peyton was considered a bigger deep threat.  I knew Jones had good speed but I had no idea he was 4.32 fast.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 02:42 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I'm not sure what the plans are with Huber.  But I thought maybe Drue Chrisman was who they have been looking at as a potential replacement.  He was on and off the practice squad all season and then signed to a reserve/future contract in early February.

I don't think we use a draft pick on a punter.  They seem to like Chrisman a lot.
Reply/Quote
Here's my two cents:
For punt returner, the number one thing I look for is hands. First and foremost I want somebody who can reliably field the punt without me having to worry about a muff. Darius Phillips single handedly cost us the SF game with his two muffs. With Taylor back there I never had to worry. He did his job, and was solid. He's no Devin Hester but he gets the job done. If you can find an upgrade, then okay, but if he's our punt returner next year I can't complain.

Punter- This is not out of feelings, or nostalgia, I honestly think Huber is just fine. If he wants to keep playing, let him at least compete. He's not bad like some are saying. He plays mistake-free football and does his job. Want to know what a bad punter looks like? Matt Haack (Bills). Cost them the Squealers game with a block that was returned for a TD, and nearly blew the second Jets game. He averaged a whole 3.5 yards less than Huber in gross punting (42.9 vs 46.4). For all the talk of Huber's leg strength going down, this year, his average was above his career average. And his SB stats were nearly identical to Hekker's.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 08:55 PM)pulses Wrote: Marcus Jones from Houston

I like Jones, a smaller guy.  In spots he can play nickel on D and slot on offense. Dangerous return guy.  He may go too high for us though.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 01:07 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think we use a draft pick on a punter.  They seem to like Chrisman a lot.

Agreed and the '"like Chrisman a lot" perspective is supported by the efforts they made to keep bringing him back during roster shuffling. If they weren't invested in him, they'd have not made such moves to keep him around.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 04:13 AM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Here's my two cents:
For punt returner, the number one thing I look for is hands. First and foremost I want somebody who can reliably field the punt without me having to worry about a muff. Darius Phillips single handedly cost us the SF game with his two muffs. With Taylor back there I never had to worry. He did his job, and was solid. He's no Devin Hester but he gets the job done. If you can find an upgrade, then okay, but if he's our punt returner next year I can't complain.

Punter- This is not out of feelings, or nostalgia, I honestly think Huber is just fine. If he wants to keep playing, let him at least compete. He's not bad like some are saying. He plays mistake-free football and does his job. Want to know what a bad punter looks like? Matt Haack (Bills). Cost them the Squealers game with a block that was returned for a TD, and nearly blew the second Jets game. He averaged a whole 3.5 yards less than Huber in gross punting (42.9 vs 46.4). For all the talk of Huber's leg strength going down, this year, his average was above his career average. And his SB stats were nearly identical to Hekker's.

Nice post, yes the Returner has to have reliable hands first. Doesn't matter how dynamic he is if he muffs even once in awhile.

Cannot have that. Would like for us to keep Taylor around simply cause of this.

What a name for a Punter and he lives up to the name, HAACK!!! lol   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 01:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Bring back the Pac as a punt returner only.... Wink

nahhh..lets go woth Billy "white shoes" Johnson...one of my all time faves
Reply/Quote