Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Breaking down the cap
(03-03-2022, 04:50 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I would prefer to sign him long term, but it will take something like 4 years and $60M to do it. I wouldn't pay him CB money. I wouldn't tag him, either.  I would sign a middling vet or someone who needs a one year prove it deal as a one year place holder and hope to draft someone like Jaquan Brisker who might be the opening day starter, but if he isn't ready you got a vet who can at least hold down the fort until he is ready.

They're in a tough spot with Bates, especially with players going public about wanting him re-signed. 
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 09:10 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: It’s that time of the year where some will say we have infinite cap space and others will make it appear as if we are in the negative. It’s a fun time to be alive.

Almost normal eh?

Been such a wild ride this is actually more of what we are used to lol
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 04:29 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You'd rather let him go than give him the tag? In what world does that make sense? 

The guy is going to get tagged and its honestly the right move (IF he's asking for too much). He doesn't have any leverage and the Bengals are playing this smart. They can always re-sign him once hes tagged as well, remember. There is 0% chance he's not on this team next year.

Let’s draft and groom a top player and then let him leave… it makes no sense. You are right, he is here one way or another. The cap isn’t a bad option, and kick the can down the road a year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 06:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is what I am saying, love Bates but if it costs 60 mil for 4 years that is too much when we need the OL fortified
more than anything. If we can get that number down a bit and still afford the OL even better. Love Brisker myself if 
we let Bates go for top 5 Safety money.

I definitely don't think Bates will be easy to replace. I want him back, but I don't want him discouraged cause we tagged 
him instead of extended him either. The way he played early last season makes me think this could happen.

Hope so, that is what I want the most.

Two FSs that I think might be interested in a 1 year prove it deal are Justin Reid or Marcus Maye.

Reid wants out of Houston. His first two years were good. The last two years not so much. Question is was the decline due to coaching? Maye wants out of NYJ, but is coming off an Achilles tear in November (I think.) I don’t think the Jets will tag him coming off the injury, but will he be healthy at the start of the season and is he interested in playing for a Super Bowl team for a one year audition to earn a big pay day next year? Draft Brisker high as their heir apparent.

Or I might go with a cheaper starter like Quandry Diggs for three years, but then go a different direction than drafting a S high.

But, I wouldn’t pay a FS $15M/yr when Trent Williams is like $2-3M more per year.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 09:21 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: They're in a tough spot with Bates, especially with players going public about wanting him re-signed. 

Yeah. Comes down to how much they value the position. If he played like Ed Reed, I’d pay $15M/yr. Short of that level of play, I think premier money should be directed toward filling premier positions with premier players. FS just isn’t a premier position, in my opinion.

Robert Quinn’s cap hit is $17M this year and he had 18.5 sacks last season. I’d pay $15M/year to an elite edge rusher with that production. Because I value edge rushers more than FSs.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 09:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Almost normal eh?

Been such a wild ride this is actually more of what we are used to lol

I know right. I’ve not watched much sports news since the Super Bowl and I turned around and it’s the combine already. Crazy how quick the season goes when you get to the big game .
Reply/Quote
A couple of the Bengals podcasts I listen to seem to think that Hopkins will be a cap cut.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 05:11 PM)J24 Wrote: I don’t  get the  reasoning behind  letting Bates go. He was our best defender in the post season(all pro caliber), he is a team leader,  and has missed only 1 meaningful game in his career .
Everyone  acts like he will be easy  to replace but that just seems very silly to think that we can draft an all pro caliber player at 31 or later.

Also here's  the thing about the offense line. We don't need it to be great it just  can't suck like it did in the Playoffs. Burrow can help make the Offensive Line better  he can't do that for the defense. 

It's hard to pay any player elite money when they only play at an elite level about 25% of the time, especially when they're coming off the worst year of their career.

2020 Jessie Bates or playoffs Jessie Bates would be tough to replace.  2021 regular season and 2019 Jessie Bates are easily replaced or even upgraded upon.  Reality is, the only reason Bates had an opportunity to ball out in the playoffs is his teammates took up the slack for him in the regular season.

The other question is it better to allocate those cap dollars to other positions?  Do you need a sometimes elite S if you give Burrow a great OL, improve your pass rush, and/or get a top tier CB opposite Awuzie?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 09:49 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Two FSs that I think might be interested in a 1 year prove it deal are Justin Reid or Marcus Maye.

Reid wants out of Houston. His first two years were good. The last two years not so much. Question is was the decline due to coaching? Maye wants out of NYJ, but is coming off an Achilles tear in November (I think.) I don’t think the Jets will tag him coming off the injury, but will he be healthy at the start of the season and is he interested in playing for a Super Bowl team for a one year audition to earn a big pay day next year? Draft Brisker high as their heir apparent.

Or I might go with a cheaper starter like Quandry Diggs for three years, but then go a different direction than drafting a S high.

But, I wouldn’t pay a FS $15M/yr when Trent Williams is like $2-3M more per year.

Have to keep these options open if Bates commands that much no question. Absolutely love Brisker.

Best Safety I watched in college last year, even better than Kyle Hamilton when I watched them both.

(03-03-2022, 10:33 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I know right. I’ve not watched much sports news since the Super Bowl and I turned around and it’s the combine already. Crazy how quick the season goes when you get to the big game .

Truth, its fun. Lets go back to the big game next year too lol

(03-04-2022, 02:30 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: A couple of the Bengals podcasts I listen to seem to think that Hopkins will be a cap cut.

I am down, makes room for a top tier Center that can also run block unlike Hopkins. Brian Allen is who I am thinking is likely.
Reply/Quote