Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brexit Referendum Day
I know we got into this topic in the Jo Cox thread, but I figured a thread for articles about the vote, polls, and eventually results would be a good thing for today. Since Brexit would have an affect across all of the west, this is meaningful to us as well.

I will start it off with an impact I hadn't thought about, but it's not as serious as some of the others being talked about. Well, unless you are a fan of soccer.

http://www.dw.com/en/how-would-brexit-affect-football-leagues/a-19348190?maca=en-rss-en-all-1573-rdf

Quote:Bundesliga
How would Brexit affect football leagues?

The United Kingdom will vote in the Brexit referendum on Thursday. How would a Leave decision affect Europe's football leagues? DW's Stefan Bienkowski takes a look at the possible outcomes.
UEFA Europa League Liverpool BVB Dortmund Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

If the United Kingdom votes to leave the European Union in Thursday's referendum there will be wide-reaching consequences across the continent. One topic that has not been part of the endless media cycles leading up to the all-important vote is football.

Undoubtedly the most popular sport across the continent, the "beautiful game" has also grown in to a multi-billion euro industry within the United Kingdom and across the EU. Today players are able to move from one country to the next for huge fees and with very few obstacles.

A report commissioned by the BBC concluded that should Britain vote to leave the EU, the English Premier League – regarded as the most popular league around the world – would be “radically changed.” Moreover, without the free movement of labor that comes with EU membership, more than 400 players across the United Kingdom's four football federations would immediately lose the right to play within their leagues.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I completely get why the UK would want to leave and they're not alone. The EU has consistently evolved into Germany running the show and dictating terms to other EU members. The complaints about this are pervasive. I think the exit vote wins and would win by a larger margin if not for the killing of Jo Cox. Also, the fact that many in the stay camp have thrown the racism tag around I think people are more likely to say they'll vote stay and in fact vote leave when it comes down to it.
Can't blame the Germans for being better organized and having their ideas work for the most part!  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Huge Soccer fan and I have no idea how leaving the EU would affect English soccer players playing in other countries.

Players from all over the world play throughout Europe. hell, Iceland just advanced in the European Championships and they are not members of the EU.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-23-2016, 12:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Huge Soccer fan and I have no idea how leaving the EU would affect English soccer players playing in other countries.

Players from all over the world play throughout Europe. hell, Iceland just advanced in the European Championships and they are not members of the EU.

Yea not sure either how this wold effect the UEFA as they have 53 members in the league and the EU only has 28.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

This started out as a trade union and a reason to keep German power in check.

Now we have the EU lording over the member nations with countless regulations and laws. Taken over their border... Oh and the German interests are now defacto running the EU. As the French voice is irrelevant these days.

This whole thing needs to go.
(06-23-2016, 12:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Huge Soccer fan and I have no idea how leaving the EU would affect English soccer players playing in other countries.

This is just pro eu fear mongering.  Remember these people also said it would lead to WW3.   
While I have to give props to the German organization in general, I get why the UK would want to leave the EU. I've heard that they will feel more economic pain in the short term, maybe even going long term, but as far as their own country is concerned, the UK has to do what's best for the UK. I've heard contrasting reports on whether the sovereignty of the UK was ever really compromised. I really don't care one way or the other how the vote goes.

No idea how this will affect soccer, but I venture to guess that the prem will suffer a bit since it has a lot of high quality players that are not from the UK, while I don't think the reverse is true. The Prem has come out and said it's against Brexit. A decent bit of German, French and Belgian players might get split up by the Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1. We shall see.
So polls close in about ten minutes and we will start to see preliminary results about two hours after that. By law, news agencies cannot report on the campaign while the polls are open, so there may be some fun stuff coming out very soon.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-23-2016, 03:01 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: No idea how this will affect soccer, but I venture to guess that the prem will suffer a bit since it has a lot of high quality players that are not from the UK, while I don't think the reverse is true.    The Prem has come out and said it's against Brexit.  A decent bit of German, French and Belgian players might get split up by the Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1.  We shall see.

Again this makes no sense as there are players from Germany, France, and Belgium that play in Russia.

Yougov exit poll has "stay" at 52%, "leave" at 48%

(06-23-2016, 06:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Again this makes no sense as there are players from Germany, France, and Belgium that play in Russia.

What doesn't make sense?  I'm talking about the high quality players from Germany, France and Belgium who would want to play in the better leagues of the world if they're not able to play in the prem.  I don't believe there are many (if any) players from these other countries playing in Russia, who chose Russia over the leagues that I mentioned.  I'm talking about players like Schweinsteiger, Hazard, Giroux etc.    
(06-23-2016, 06:20 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: What doesn't make sense?  I'm talking about the high quality players from Germany, France and Belgium who would want to play in the better leagues of the world if they're not able to play in the prem.  I don't believe there are many (if any) players from these other countries playing in Russia, who chose Russia over the leagues that I mentioned.  I'm talking about players like Schweinsteiger, Hazard, Giroux etc.    

Why wouldn't they be allowed to play in the Prem, but can play in Russia? The quality of the player is irrelevant. 

(06-23-2016, 06:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why wouldn't they be allowed to play in the Prem, but can play in Russia? The quality of the player is irrelevant. 

I made the statement based on
"Moreover, without the free movement of labor that comes with EU membership, more than 400 players across the United Kingdom's four football federations would immediately lose the right to play within their leagues."
in the article quoted in Belsnickel's post.
(06-23-2016, 06:28 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I made the statement based on
"Moreover, without the free movement of labor that comes with EU membership, more than 400 players across the United Kingdom's four football federations would immediately lose the right to play within their leagues."
in the article quoted in Belsnickel's post.

They could play, but they would just need a work permit. It is (IMO) a moot point that some article tried to blow up to pull at the hearts of English soccer fans. 

(06-23-2016, 06:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They could play, but they would just need a work permit. It is (IMO) a moot point that some article tried to blow up to pull at the hearts of English soccer fans. 

Ok, so you disagree with that part of the article.  Different than saying my post doesn't make sense.

But to the point in the post above, the Prem itself has come out against Brexit.  Don't know why exactly, but maybe they simply don't want to pony up the money for work permits.  Although with their coffers, I wonder if it's something else.  I will inform myself if I have time.
(06-23-2016, 06:38 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Ok, so you disagree with that part of the article.  Different than saying my post doesn't make sense.

But to the point in the post above, the Prem itself has come out against Brexit.  Don't know why exactly, but maybe they simply don't want to pony up the money for work permits.  Although with their coffers, I wonder if it's something else.  I will inform myself if I have time.

Didn't mean it as a slight to your post. I was just trying to make sense of the article saying it would have a negative effect on the epl.

I have a feeling the fix is in...
(06-23-2016, 07:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I have a feeling the fix is in...

Like in Scotland a couple of years ago when the government allowed 16 year olds to vote so the vote could be influenced?

Ninja
(06-23-2016, 06:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Didn't mean it as a slight to your post. I was just trying to make sense of the article saying it would have a negative effect on the epl.

Fair enough.  I'm guessing it probably has something to do with the Prem being against Brexit.  Now more clarity as to why:  if Brexit happens, then EU players will not have the automatic ability to come and go into the Prem as they and the Prem please.  With strict British laws in place already which restrict the number of work permits granted, the pool of "foreign" players could now be reduced and possibly stunt the growth of the league (the younger players' development, more than anything else).  These restricted work permits were previously doled out to players out of the continent (mainly Africa, and slightly to other non EU nations' players), but now they will have to be split among European, African and other players.  

Now I see why the prem claims this will "kill" the league.