Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brian Callahan going OFF on the offense
So since he's the OC is he talking about the players or himself, seems like he's been on the hotseat for a **** long time, he can't possibly come to the conclusion now that the lowest yards per game on offense is "struggling" and he has nothing to do with it - 6 games in.

Lowest total yards per game on offense, about 180 yards in the air and lowest rush yards per game.

I will give Burrow has been hurt for half of those games.

Maybe Burrow went to Callahan after the game and said "we have to be better" and it wasn't another player, lol.

Am I the only one that thinks Callahan's job is on the line? Why would he come out and say this? A normal sub-par person would act exactly like this (move the cheese and blame someone else) for their inadequacies instead of take responsibility if they felt their job was under threat, maybe I don't pay attention to his quotes. Unless there's more to these quotes I don't see him taking much responsibility at all.

We miss the playoffs Callahan should be fired. I always have the adage if we have a player or coach on our team that no other team wants, why are they on ours?

Zac Taylor and/or Callahan has to take responsibility for the offense, it's not just the players they have to execute what's asked. Tee will drop some and Burrow will be inaccurate sometimes. It's sad to think how hard the Defense plays to give Burrow the ball back entrusting him and he can only take 15 seconds off the clock, where the D has to win the game twice basically, 4th down redzones.

Shannon Sharpe had a point, Seahawks had an ego. They should have kicked the FG knowing Burrow would have given them the ball back within 15 seconds and they'd march right back down the field on them, kick another FG and game over.

Any point of the game a 15 second drive resulting in no points is terrible, and at that point of the game - what is it then.

We underperform as an offense, even in our playoff runs, the Defense has to bail us out - and that's what the Bengals are, a defensive team with a star QB and WR that everyone else focuses on. Could have easily lost to the Raiders and Titans in the 1st run.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 07:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: One hopes that this awareness, and stating it publicly leads to something.

Btw… I was skimming the Bills board during the game last night and they were flat out losing their shit over shotgun runs, and not particularly thrilled with all the passes out of shotgun.  Especially the one where the guy got hurt. Pages of talking about a shotgun run on 3rd an inches. Always amazing how similar all fanbases are.

It isn't a fanbase thing. It is a stupidity thing. Running out of shotgun allows more time for penetration and there is no lead blocker to eliminate said penetration. It is flat out stupid on 3rd & short. 
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 07:30 PM)puddycat Wrote: And it only took him 5 weeks to figure this out. We only have two players who can regularly make the 1st man miss (not counting offensive linemen) and I don't know who we're going to get to throw it to Burrow.

Two? Sure seems like just Chase to me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 07:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: One hopes that this awareness, and stating it publicly leads to something.

Btw… I was skimming the Bills board during the game last night and they were flat out losing their shit over shotgun runs, and not particularly thrilled with all the passes out of shotgun.  Especially the one where the guy got hurt. Pages of talking about a shotgun run on 3rd an inches. Always amazing how similar all fanbases are.

Browns late in the game ran for it on something like 4th and 7 and got it. Would be crazy to have their run game lol
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 06:24 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Actually it was pass run pass and not 3 passes. That said you have to remember they took possession with just over 2 minutes and Seattle had 2 timeouts essentially giving them the full 3 timeouts. We were going to need a first down to run out the clock which meant a pass was likely going to happen. I really had no issue with a pass on first down since the clock was stopping either way.

You are right.   The Bengals got the ball with 2:03 left in the game.  The first called play was a pass play.  Run or pass it doesnt matter because the clock is stopping for the 2 minute warning regardless.  Seattle is not using a timeout in that situation.  The 2nd play was a run play.  It forced Seattle to call a timeout with 1:53 left in the game.  This makes it 3rd down and 6 with 1:53 left and Seattle still having a timeout left.  The Bengals were never going to be able to run the clock out unless they got the 1st down.  If they dont get the first down, Seattle is getting the ball back with a lot of time still left on the clock.  There was nothing about that series that was bad clock management.  Now, someone could say they should run the ball on 3rd down and force Seattle to use their last timeout.  The problem is that leaves too much time left on the clock which we ended up seeing.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 07:32 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: WIth as much repetition he's been getting, he bloody better be. 

Robbins has been a little better but is still pretty meh.  He is kicking the ball further but he is getting return yards.  His net yards are still toward the botton of NFL punters.  Yesterday he had a punts of 38 and 40 yards.  He had one punt of 50 yards but it was returned for 23 yards.   For his 6 punts yesterday he averaged 40 yards per punt net average.  I still dont like using a draft pick for a guy like that.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 07:50 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Browns late in the game ran for it on something like 4th and 7 and got it. Would be crazy to have their run game lol

I know that was without Chubb, but if the Bengals had Chubb it would almost guarantee a Super Bowl.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 07:57 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: You are right.   The Bengals got the ball with 2:03 left in the game.  The first called play was a pass play.  Run or pass it doesnt matter because the clock is stopping for the 2 minute warning regardless.  Seattle is not using a timeout in that situation.  The 2nd play was a run play.  It forced Seattle to call a timeout with 1:53 left in the game.  This makes it 3rd down and 6 with 1:53 left and Seattle still having a timeout left.  The Bengals were never going to be able to run the clock out unless they got the 1st down.  If they dont get the first down, Seattle is getting the ball back with a lot of time still left on the clock.  There was nothing about that series that was bad clock management.  Now, someone could say they should run the ball on 3rd down and force Seattle to use their last timeout.  The problem is that leaves too much time left on the clock which we ended up seeing.

Yesterday, 35 pass attempts, 15 rushes. On first down 17 pass attempts, 7 rushes. They passed 70% of the time. They passed on first down 70% of the time. I don’t know the breakdown of personnel groups vs Seahawks, but usually those rushes involve 11 personnel in shotgun formation. Mixon got positive yardage on every rush except for twice up the middle. Opposing defenses don’t have to respect Bengals’ rushing attack due to scheme and play calling.

You’re right the clock stops due to 2:00 minute warning after their first play regardless if the call pass or run. But, an incompletion makes it 2nd and 10. And probably 3rd and long instead of 3rd and manageable with better play calling.

The 3rd and 6 play, 4th quarter, 1:56 left in the game. Seahawks with two time outs. Bengals have a 4 point lead. First down ends the game. They throw a deep 50/50 ball to Higgins. Higgins is injured and having trouble with drops and Burrow is still coming back from injury and deep ball accuracy and velocity are still a work in process.

Callahan on Monday after a win: Damn players!
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 08:34 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I know that was without Chubb, but if the Bengals had Chubb it would almost guarantee a Super Bowl.

Mixon doesn't have elite speed. It's an issue.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 06:37 PM)GodFather Wrote: Seems to be the hardest thing for these coaches, to look in the mirror and take into account what the coaches are doing wrong to contribute to the problem...

(10-16-2023, 07:31 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: I'm not the problem. It's the players that entrust me to put them in spots to win.

(10-16-2023, 07:42 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: So since he's the OC is he talking about the players or himself, seems like he's been on the hotseat for a **** long time, he can't possibly come to the conclusion now that the lowest yards per game on offense is "struggling" and he has nothing to do with it - 6 games in.

Unless there's more to these quotes I don't see him taking much responsibility at all.

(10-16-2023, 09:46 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Callahan on Monday after a win: Damn players!

I guess no one wanted to actually read the full quote? He sh!t on himself and the coaches as well.

Callahan met with the offense on Monday morning to review film. He pointed out mistakes made by everyone on offense—from Joe Burrow to Andrei Iosivas and Cody Ford—they know every player and coach has to be better.

"There's an accountability factor on offense at this point where nobody coaching, nobody playing, has met our standard," Callahan said. “We didn't offensively play well enough to deserve to win the game and I think everybody knows it."

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 07:42 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: We miss the playoffs Callahan should be fired. I always have the adage if we have a player or coach on our team that no other team wants, why are they on ours?

I disagree, we all know this is Zac's offensive scheme and he is the primary play caller.  If the offense in general sucks it's likely on him.

Reply/Quote
I like this out of Callahan. He’s calling out himself and the entire, under-achieving offense (and the play caller, too). Zac should let him call plays and see how it goes. They had some dumb calls again but it wasn’t the coaches fault that Burrow left his accuracy in the locker room at half time. What a drop off in performance for him in the second half. Did someone tell him that his dog died or something? Just sent from the old Joe to terrible Joe after returning from the locker room.

I think Mixon is OK/good enough - the solution is the same as it’s always been. Make the O line elite and the RBs will be better and the points will come.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 10:35 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I like this out of Callahan. He’s calling out himself and the entire, under-achieving offense (and the play caller, too). Zac should let him call plays and see how it goes.  They had some dumb calls again but it wasn’t the coaches fault that Burrow left his accuracy in the locker room at half time. What a drop off in performance for him in the second half.  Did someone tell him that his dog died or something?  Just sent from the old Joe to terrible Joe after returning from the locker room.

I think Mixon is OK/good enough - the solution is the same as it’s always been. Make the O line elite and the RBs will be better and the points will come.

The run blocking and pass blocking grades by pff are the best they've been in years. Still not even league average, but better.

I think Mixon is what he is. Not the fastest guy. He'll run for 140 yards against a bad team and pad his stats.
Reply/Quote
I will say this it's nice to hear a different tone coming out of the locker room.

All this "we will be fine" talk by Zac Taylor and Burrow & Company is nonsense. There is clear issues and they need to be fixed if they want to make the playoffs.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Well it’s encouraging to know he is aware of how awful his unit has been. Also good to hear that he hears the noise regarding the need to get under center some.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 10:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The run blocking and pass blocking grades by pff are the best they've been in years. Still not even league average, but better.

I think Mixon is what he is. Not the fastest guy. He'll run for 140 yards against a bad team and pad his stats.

We are #26 in yards per rush
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 10:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I guess no one wanted to actually read the full quote? He sh!t on himself and the coaches as well.

Callahan met with the offense on Monday morning to review film. He pointed out mistakes made by everyone on offense—from Joe Burrow to Andrei Iosivas and Cody Ford—they know every player and coach has to be better.

"There's an accountability factor on offense at this point where nobody coaching, nobody playing, has met our standard," Callahan said. “We didn't offensively play well enough to deserve to win the game and I think everybody knows it."

You’re right. I didn’t read the full quote. There is no link to the original article.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 06:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Please promote Tanner Hudson or find another TE to add via trade or off the street.
Smith is useless.
Sample is contributing as a blocker but not as a receiver.
Bengals could use another option to help get the offense going.

I like the idea of having Tanner over Irv. Your average joe coach could put up more points than 3 in the second half with Yoshi Irwin and Sizzle as your top 3 WR. These guys are not being used correctly from Chase on down. We have talent at every spot every WR has his own unique talents that are not being used same with the RB spots people are screaming for a backup RB when we give the guy one carry per game. We have the talent already on this team we just need someone to chew people out when they underachieve, we do not have a guy with the ba**s to do that on the sideline.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 07:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Two? Sure seems like just Chase to me.
Me explaining the joke: The second player who can make the first guy miss is Joe Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 02:30 AM)puddycat Wrote: Me explaining the joke: The second player who can make the first guy miss is Joe Burrow.

Ok now your post makes sense when I reread the end of it.

Reply/Quote