Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brian Callahan going OFF on the offense
He is right it is on the players and coaches. Heck the coaches have been arrogant and foolish out of the gate this season imo, by putting a C on Mixon's jersey and acting like RB and TE were not even issues that needed addressed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 06:37 PM)GodFather Wrote: Seems to be the hardest thing for these coaches, to look in the mirror and take into account what the coaches are doing wrong to contribute to the problem...

We all may not be completely in love with this coaching staff, but one thing is for sure...they definetly hold themselves accountable when things aren't going great.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 07:42 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: So since he's the OC is he talking about the players or himself, seems like he's been on the hotseat for a **** long time, he can't possibly come to the conclusion now that the lowest yards per game on offense is "struggling" and he has nothing to do with it - 6 games in.

Lowest total yards per game on offense, about 180 yards in the air and lowest rush yards per game.

I will give Burrow has been hurt for half of those games.

Maybe Burrow went to Callahan after the game and said "we have to be better" and it wasn't another player, lol.

Am I the only one that thinks Callahan's job is on the line? Why would he come out and say this? A normal sub-par person would act exactly like this (move the cheese and blame someone else) for their inadequacies instead of take responsibility if they felt their job was under threat, maybe I don't pay attention to his quotes. Unless there's more to these quotes I don't see him taking much responsibility at all.

We miss the playoffs Callahan should be fired. I always have the adage if we have a player or coach on our team that no other team wants, why are they on ours?

Zac Taylor and/or Callahan has to take responsibility for the offense, it's not just the players they have to execute what's asked. Tee will drop some and Burrow will be inaccurate sometimes. It's sad to think how hard the Defense plays to give Burrow the ball back entrusting him and he can only take 15 seconds off the clock, where the D has to win the game twice basically, 4th down redzones.

Shannon Sharpe had a point, Seahawks had an ego. They should have kicked the FG knowing Burrow would have given them the ball back within 15 seconds and they'd march right back down the field on them, kick another FG and game over.

Any point of the game a 15 second drive resulting in no points is terrible, and at that point of the game - what is it then.

We underperform as an offense, even in our playoff runs, the Defense has to bail us out - and that's what the Bengals are, a defensive team with a star QB and WR that everyone else focuses on. Could have easily lost to the Raiders and Titans in the 1st run.

That's REALLY easy to say in hindsight. Truth of the matter is that the Bengals defense was playing just as good as the Seahawks. No guarantee the Seahwaks would have 1. gotten the ball back and 2. "marched right down the field" into field goal range. 

I have zero issue with them going for the win in that situation. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
As long as Zac Taylor has his hands on the offense, it will turn to Sh%$, just like every other offense he's ever touched.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 10:40 AM)740Bengal Wrote: As long as Zac Taylor has his hands on the offense, it will turn to Sh%$, just like every other offense he's ever touched.

Lol. This is a bit extreme. Bengals have had a top 10 offense each of the last two years. By years end, it will be there again. Could it be better, yes. But let’s not confuse Zac Taylor with Andy Reid.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 10:36 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Long overdue.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 07:31 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: I'm not the problem. It's the players that entrust me to put them in spots to win.

Whose ***** idea was it to put the game on a Drop-laden Tee Higgins with a rib injury?

You're assuming Tee was the 1st target. 
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 05:49 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Look in mirror, Brian. The last offensive possession with 2:03 left in the game was a coaching shit show.

Zac did. He piggybacked off Brian's statement with saying something along the lines of "coaching has been bad at times too". 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 10:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Mixon doesn't have elite speed. It's an issue.

Careful - Some take it offensively when you don't call Mixon the greatest RB ever to play the game.

(10-16-2023, 10:23 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I disagree, we all know this is Zac's offensive scheme and he is the primary play caller.  If the offense in general sucks it's likely on him.

(10-17-2023, 10:40 AM)740Bengal Wrote: As long as Zac Taylor has his hands on the offense, it will turn to Sh%$, just like every other offense he's ever touched.

I disagree. I think Pollack is the problem. We need him gone and things may get better. I struggle to blame Zac or Burrow and even Mixon sometimes because they all need that OL to do their jobs better to be successful. I don't give a damn if your under center or in the shotgun - if they don't perform, everyone looks like shit. Now, since Pollack works for Zac and Callahan, we can lay the blame on the fact that they haven't fired his ass by now.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 10:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I guess no one wanted to actually read the full quote?  He sh!t on himself and the coaches as well.

Callahan met with the offense on Monday morning to review film. He pointed out mistakes made by everyone on offense—from Joe Burrow to Andrei Iosivas and Cody Ford—they know every player and coach has to be better.

"There's an accountability factor on offense at this point where nobody coaching, nobody playing, has met our standard," Callahan said. “We didn't offensively play well enough to deserve to win the game and I think everybody knows it."

Exactly, and Zac reiterated that sentiment about the staff too. Oh, and he only called out the offensive staff.

Reply/Quote
I suppose most coaches will go with the execution angle rather than admit they are making mistakes? Note: this is more a generalized statement than an indictment against Callahan or the offense's execution. I suppose there is blame to go all around when a team is 3-3 and not lighting it up on offense.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 11:14 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I suppose most coaches will go with the execution angle rather than admit they are making mistakes? Note: this is more a generalized statement than an indictment against Callahan or the offense's execution. I suppose there is blame to go all around when a team is 3-3 and not lighting it up on offense.

If we were to put blame on the following how would you rate it.. for 3-3 start.

Burrows Injury
Lack of OL preseason snaps
Offensive play calling
Frank pollack
New safeties/loss of bell and Nate’s
Loss of hurst and Perine
Other

I go 50% joes injury, leading to predicable play calling and putting them in a bad spot
10% lack of OL snaps
15% playcalling
15% pollack and lack of development
10% new safeties

I wanted to put burrows injury higher as it had an obvious effect on the rest… but even if burrow hadn’t been hurt, I don’t think that everything else would have been perfect.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 11:14 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I suppose there is blame to go all around when a team is 3-3 and not lighting it up on offense.

Especially with the weapons we have on this team. I am strongly going to be bitching about Pollack for a while because I'm truly laying these OL woes at his feet. So I wonder, does Callahan's words even make Pollack sweat a little? Because if he's not worried about losing his job, that's a serious problem. 

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 11:24 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: If we were to put blame on the following how would you rate it.. for 3-3 start.

Burrows Injury
Lack of OL preseason snaps
Offensive play calling
Frank pollack
New safeties/loss of bell and Nate’s
Loss of hurst and Perine
Other

I go 50% joes injury, leading to predicable play calling and putting them in a bad spot
10% lack of OL snaps
15% playcalling
15% pollack and lack of development
10% new safeties

I wanted to put burrows injury higher as it had an obvious effect on the rest… but even if burrow hadn’t been hurt, I don’t think that everything else would have been perfect.

This OL hasn't played well enough to win 3 games. Everything you list is affected by the OL performance except the safeties.

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 11:31 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: This OL hasn't played well enough to win 3 games. Everything you list is affected by the OL performance except the safeties.

The o-line was not missing receivers with passes. C'mon man. There were many reasons for those three losses, and the o-line is only part of it. Burrow was getting the passes off, and they were not accurate. When they were accurate and hitting the WR's in the hands, passes were getting dropped.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 06:17 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Think Boyd has looked good when he’s had targets this season.

Chase is Chase and is the main reason we are 3-3 tbh

Higgins has been disgraceful may not be fully healthy but he’s had more dropped balls than an all boys boarding school.

The contract situation has to be playing on his mind the same way with Bates funny how they share the same agent.

The FO refusal to sign or draft a quality TE and relying on Joe to lift people like CJ and Hurst has come back to bite us on the arse too.

The talent is there yes we have had some poor execution but he and Taylor need to look at themselves too, knowing Burrow wasn’t fully fit the first few games and having **** all run game or ways to scheme guys open is disgusting for an NFL staff.

Joe can only elevate players if he has time to throw. That's why the O-line should've been fixed by now.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 10:35 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I like this out of Callahan. He’s calling out himself and the entire, under-achieving offense (and the play caller, too). Zac should let him call plays and see how it goes.  They had some dumb calls again but it wasn’t the coaches fault that Burrow left his accuracy in the locker room at half time. What a drop off in performance for him in the second half.  Did someone tell him that his dog died or something?  Just sent from the old Joe to terrible Joe after returning from the locker room.

I think Mixon is OK/good enough - the solution is the same as it’s always been. Make the O line elite and the RBs will be better and the points will come.

Joe's accuracy in the 2nd half was'nt his fault. He was sitting at 15 straight completions when the frigging announcers talked about & boom .....5 straight bad throws. Jinxed him for sure...lol
The announcers did'nt want to take responsibility for it.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 04:01 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Joe's accuracy in the 2nd half was'nt his fault. He was sitting at 15 straight completions when the frigging announcers talked about & boom .....5 straight bad throws. Jinxed him for sure...lol
The announcers did'nt want to take responsibility for it.

NGL, I thought the same thing. I mean, he missed the very next throw!  Tongue

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 03:51 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Joe can only elevate players if he has time to throw. That's why the O-line should've been fixed by now.

He had plenty of time to throw. He himself said he wasn't accurate and also there were receiver issues. 
Reply/Quote