Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Browns wanted McCarron and were close
Let me get this straight, the NFL gets this at 3:55 or whatever time, can they not pick up the phone and call the team missing the signature?

Im sorry but this whole things sounds shady.............
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Browns being the browns.

A 2nd and 3rd would have been great compensation. At the same time, not potentially giving the Browns an adequate QB is fine as well.
Reply/Quote
Really would've liked to pick up a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a guy who wasn't playing and will inevitably leave. The UFA/RFA thing is still up in the air I think, could be wrong. I doubt there was any trade out there for help now, so at least it would've given the team a chance to either draft players with those picks or use them to trade for help.
Reply/Quote
I think missing out on this trade sucks. That would have set up nicely for ol, ol, te, ol, lb and db in the first 3 rounds. Or bpa, ol, ol, te, lb ol. Any combo really. You know we aren't bringing any off the street free agent until week 5 of free agency. Then it will be a borderline over the hill "name" retread.

I think the Browns fo pulled the rug out from under hue on this one. If he wanted ajm and believes he can develop him further and compete with him they should've given in. Draft saquon in round 1. They have enough def talent to start improving.

And the bengals aren't going to be any different until changes are made at the very top of the organization. We get this. But they need as many chances to hit on hidden gems as they can get
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 10:05 PM)MrRager Wrote: There is pretty much nothing they could do right now to help the team? Like basically nothing. 

A high second and third rounder would be huge for us. To act like it means nothing is just stupid.

Shake has been in other threads saying we need to draft oline with every pick next year, but now the draft is meaningless and we won't get any good players? An extra second might be a guard or center on top of a DT or something. Sure it might not pan out, but  having those two extra high picks for essentially nothing would be great for helping us rebuild the lines.

But because they didn't get another shitty lineman you guys don't care. Come on, you're both way smarter than this. I get we're all annoyed with the FO for this off-season and the line play this far, but there is nothing to be done now and two high picks would have been huge to either trade up for an elite pass blocker or take another couple swings for a G/C

And those two draft picks could have amounted to nothing. 

Nothing from nothing leaves, nothing. 

You gotta have something, if you wanna be with me. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
This sounds all to familiar the the Shaun Rogers trade. NFL shut that trade down as well.
Reply/Quote
Brownies gon' Brown.

Shoulda been for Zeitler anyway... Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Well done fellas! Not surprised though.....When Dumb and Dumber try to get something done this is what you get.
Reply/Quote
Throw me on the conspiracy wagon. Though it's possible the Browns messed up, it's also possible they intentionally messed up. They may have did it to be in position to get him with less or no compensation. Yes Hue is desperate but he doesn't have the power he had in the Palmer deal.

They dont want another team getting him for half a year and getting the next Cousins. AJ is an UFA they know Cincy loves comp picks. If he's a RFA, they'll throw mad money that Cincy won't match. Just the fact that it was public so quickly sounds like a Browns leak.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 12:20 AM)phil413 Wrote: Throw me on the conspiracy wagon.  Though it's possible the Browns messed up, it's also possible they intentionally messed up.  They may have did it to be in position to get him with less or no compensation.  Yes Hue is desperate but he doesn't have the power he had in the Palmer deal.

They dont want another team getting him for half a year and getting the next Cousins.  AJ is an UFA they know Cincy loves comp picks.  If he's a RFA, they'll throw mad money that Cincy won't match.  Just the fact that it was public so quickly sounds like a Browns leak.

I'll throw another conspiracy in there. Maybe the Bengals and Browns agreed to "almost" do a deal for McCarron. It gets Browns fans talking about this instead of how much their 0-7 team sucks. It gets Bengals fans to stop talking about the o-line for awhile. 

Disclaimer: I don't think this is actually true
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Just going to throw this in here since AJ isn't going to be traded given the deadline has passed. But unless things change he will be a restricted free agent in 2018. So here is how that works and why the Bengals won't end up with nothing if AJ goes to another team in 2018:

Teams have four different tender options they can place on their restricted free agent that usually keeps those players from leaving.

First-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a first-round selection if it opts not to match the deal.

Second-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a second-round selection if it opts not to match the deal.

Original-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a selection equal to the round the player was originally selected in if it opts not to match the deal.

Right of first refusal: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal. The team will not receive any compensation if it opts not to match another deal.

Why not give every player a first-round tender?

Money and the salary cap implications would come with that. There aren’t many restricted free agents that are so valuable that a team would ever even consider giving up a first- or second-round pick to acquire them, so it’s a waste to apply a more expensive tender when a cheaper one can ward off prospective teams.

Source: https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/8/14834554/nfl-restricted-free-agents-rules-tender-amounts

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 12:36 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Just going to throw this in here since AJ isn't going to be traded given the deadline has passed.  But unless things change he will be a restricted free agent.  So here is how that works:

Teams have four different tender options they can place on their restricted free agent that usually keeps those players from leaving.

First-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a first-round selection if it opts not to match the deal.

Second-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a second-round selection if it opts not to match the deal.

Original-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a selection equal to the round the player was originally selected in if it opts not to match the deal.

Right of first refusal: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal. The team will not receive any compensation if it opts not to match another deal.

Why not give every player a first-round tender?

Money and the salary cap implications would come with that. There aren’t many restricted free agents that are so valuable that a team would ever even consider giving up a first- or second-round pick to acquire them, so it’s a waste to apply a more expensive tender when a cheaper one can ward off prospective teams.

Source:  https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/8/14834554/nfl-restricted-free-agents-rules-tender-amounts

1. I thought it was still up in the air on whether or not Mac gets credit for his rookie season? In fact, I read that this is what made McCarron so valuable. The 49ers have to hit Jimmy G with the franchise tag or sign him to a good deal if they like what they see this year. McCarron had the rest of this year as well as (possibly) next year on a cheap rookie deal. That's what made him a slightly better value than Jimmy.

2. I would throw the 2nd round tender on him if he becomes a FA. A 1st would all but guarantee no one touches him, but I think (hope) the Browns will still be interested enough to part with a 2nd.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 12:44 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. I thought it was still up in the air on whether or not Mac gets credit for his rookie season? In fact, I read that this is what made McCarron so valuable. The 49ers have to hit Jimmy G with the franchise tag or sign him to a good deal if they like what they see this year. McCarron had the rest of this year as well as (possibly) next year on a cheap rookie deal. That's what made him a slightly better value than Jimmy.

2. I would throw the 2nd round tender on him if he becomes a FA. A 1st would all but guarantee no one touches him, but I think (hope) the Browns will still be interested enough to part with a 2nd.

That's why I said unless things change.  The best I know as of now he is still going to be in RFA status unless it gets overturned.

I agree a 2nd round tender is more reasonable. There are a lot of teams in need of a QB. But I can't think of any team willing to give up a first rounder for AJ. However, if his status gets overturned and he gets placed in UFA status then he is free to go and the Bengals get nothing aside from maybe a late round comp pick at best depending on how many free agents the Bengals lose and how many they sign. That's a complicated formula of its own. In that case the blown deal with the Browns will look really bad but great for AJ because he didn't end up playing for the Browns. Haha

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 06:25 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Hue is simply a terrible coach. All he seems to be doing is throwing different QB's out there and expecting things to be different. With this botched, last minute desperation move this doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. You'd think he's realize by now that maybe QB isn't their biggest problem. 

I hope to god Cleveland keeps him after this year. Because if they send Hue packing, and Marv isn't given an extension... Hue will likely come here  Sick
I will take Hue over Marvin anyday, as for Hues record in Cleveland you cant squeeze blood out of a turnip.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:33 AM)bengaltruth Wrote: I will take Hue over Marvin anyday, as for Hues record in Cleveland you cant squeeze blood out of a turnip.

Well I would take Hue over Marv as well, but I would also take a squeezed turnip over Marv at this point.

Just because he's better than Marv doesn't say much. We can and should do better.
Reply/Quote
George Cantstandya Wrote:That's why I said unless things change.  The best I know as of now he is still going to be in RFA status unless it gets overturned.

I agree a 2nd round tender is more reasonable. There are a lot of teams in need of a QB. But I can't think of any team willing to give up a first rounder for AJ. However, if his status gets overturned and he gets placed in UFA status then he is free to go and the Bengals get nothing aside from maybe a late round comp pick at best depending on how many free agents the Bengals lose and how many they sign.  That's a complicated formula of its own.  In that case the blown deal with the Browns will look really bad but great for AJ because he didn't end up playing for the Browns. Haha

Maybe so. I think Mac just wants a chance to compete and doesn't care much about where. Whether he realizes it or not though, the Browns aren't a good situation for anyone. LOL
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 12:44 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. I thought it was still up in the air on whether or not Mac gets credit for his rookie season? In fact, I read that this is what made McCarron so valuable. The 49ers have to hit Jimmy G with the franchise tag or sign him to a good deal if they like what they see this year. McCarron had the rest of this year as well as (possibly) next year on a cheap rookie deal. That's what made him a slightly better value than Jimmy.

Why even slap a second round tender on him? Its basically worthless. Wouldn't help the team at all and would probably be just another bust...
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Those picks were going to be very high too.

Maybe even the very first pick of 2nd and 3rd round.

Bengals would be getting something like the 10th (or better), 33rd, 42nd, 65th, and 74th picks.

That could have helped filling some needs (OL).

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Not a huge Marvin Lewis fan but would take him all day over Hue without thinking twice.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
MrRager Wrote:Why even slap a second round tender on him? Its basically worthless. Wouldn't help the team at all and would probably be just another bust...

I know what you're doing, and you're oversimplifying and slightly twisting what I was saying. 

Never once did I say I wouldn't want the picks. If you want an explanation of what I was actually saying, re-read my posts.
Reply/Quote