Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Browns win a playoff game before the Bengals do
(01-11-2021, 05:21 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Yeah. They won because of their running game and defense. Who would have thought the better offensive line/ running game/ defense would win a game in the AFC north? Lesson to be learned here?

YES! HUGE LESSON!

But Burrow might make up for our deficiencies and keep us competitive (if he’s fully healthy and gets adequate protection to stay healthy).

That’s EXACTLY why Burrow was drafted: To make up for deficiencies — and it backfired. The Front Office and 99% of the fans thought simply getting Burrow would be sufficiently to turn the team around and this was pigheaded and wrong.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
https://twitter.com/zimwhodey/status/1348604190122270720

This is awesome.
Reply/Quote
Yes, it was fun to watch the Steelers lose, but they pretty much gift-wrapped the game for the Browns. Could this be the last for Ben? Without at least two TDs the Steelers spotted the Browns, they were in a good position to do a Ben comeback including a very bad decision not to go for it 4th and 1 at midfield (Cris Collinsworth had a hissy over that).

The Browns, unless they bring their A game, get really lucky, or the Chiefs come out super-flat are going to get curb-stomped by the Chiefs.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 12:25 PM)kdgjr Wrote: https://twitter.com/zimwhodey/status/1348604190122270720

This is awesome.

All their ***** successes over the years and they got to whine and ***** like that because they lost a playoff game...
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 10:59 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think Geno could play a big role in that if we bring him back next year and he's healthy.  People point to this year and say he's done but he was also injured.  I think he could do a lot of damage next year with a year of not much use and a full offseason getting healthy, especially if we do end up giving more 3-4 hybrid looks or even go to that full-time.  I think that would make it very difficult to account for him every play.
Honestly, it sucks when you stop to think about it, but I was so happy watching the game that the thought only crossed my mind once, if that.

It felt like the end of an era in Pittsburgh and that we have the chance to start competing for the division, but, unfortunately, my mind literally started thinking about all of the things this team lacks, with the main one being an indoor practice facility and training/rehab facility.

The Browns and the Ravens will only continue to improve, so we need to start strengthening our roster because Joe can lead us where we need to go.
It was pretty incredible to watch!  Ben crying was one of the sweetest moments I've ever seen!

He looked so defeated and the crying was because, in my opinion, it's over for him.  I think he decided before the playoffs, or maybe even before the season, that this was his last dance.

I believe it can happen and we can compete next year, but, living in Greater Cincinnati all my life, I'm never fully confident that it will happen.

As for the Steelers, they just looked unorganized and defeated, mentally and physically, and, with Ben crying, I'm not sure that his team will have complete faith to follow him into next season with the confidence that he can take them where they need to go (if he even comes back).

I think the team lacks leadership and I don't think Ben can be that guy at this point in his career and I don't think Tomlin can, either.
The lease is up on Geno...need to trade him in and get a new one. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 12:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s EXACTLY why Burrow was drafted: To make up for deficiencies — and it backfired.  The Front Office and 99% of the fans thought simply getting Burrow would be sufficiently to turn the team around and this was pigheaded and wrong.

MB believes all he needs to do is find his Otto Graham and everything's fine. He's even said it.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 09:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know this is dripping with sarcasm at the beginning, but you are dead on there.  And as far as injuries go, the front line of the steelers, their strength, was 100% healthy.  

To be competitive next year, the Bengals need to protect Burrow, give him weapons, and fortify the defensive line.  I really think they can accomplish all three of those things with one draft and one FA.  Will it happen?  I actually believe it will.  I can imagine Burrow watching this at home is going crazy.  He will want to be there next year.  

Hope to see our needs addressed. Excited to see Burrow in year two. Hopefully Pollack can sort the offensive line and run game out.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 11:01 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Browns reset the franchise on number of seasons since they last won a playoff game. The best of the worse:

Bengals: 30
Lions: 29
Dolphins: 20
Raiders: 18
Washington Football Team: 15
Jets: 10
Bears: 10

All other teams are in single digits.

Had the Bengals not imploded in 2015, and the NFL didn't screw them with the Joey Porter incident on the field, would you really feel any different?  This "years without a playoff win" means nothing to me.  Had they won in 2015 and lost a week later, they wouldn't be on this list but nothing would really have changed.  The media likes to throw it in our faces, but it will all change next year.  
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 12:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s EXACTLY why Burrow was drafted: To make up for deficiencies — and it backfired. The Front Office and 99% of the fans thought simply getting Burrow would be sufficiently to turn the team around and this was pigheaded and wrong.

It’s exciting to have Burrow. It’s exciting to have playmakers. But we need to address our offensive line, run game and pass rush more than we need a 3rd wide receiver. I’ve been preaching this point for weeks/months and people still think our biggest need is wide receiver. Browns proved my point. Our lack of success the past 5 years in spite of having good playmakers has proven this point.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 01:36 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Hope to see our needs addressed. Excited to see Burrow in year two. Hopefully Pollack can sort the offensive line and run game out.

Burrow with a vertical weapon and a better play-action game from a rushing attack that commands respect from a defense?  Yes, please..
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 01:46 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: It’s exciting to have Burrow. It’s exciting to have playmakers. But we need to address our offensive line, run game and pass rush more than we need a 3rd wide receiver. I’ve been preaching this point for weeks/months and people still think our biggest need is wide receiver. Browns proved my point. Our lack of success the past 5 years in spite of having good playmakers has proven this point.

YES

I've said it before myself. The 4 most important pieces we need this offseason are Oline,Dline,Oline,Dline.

People get all caught up in this speed thing and think you have to have 3 WR's that can out run a lamborghini or you're nothing. We fail because we get beat like a drum in the trenches !

Not because we don't have a WR faster than a rocket.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 02:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: YES

I've said it before myself. The 4 most important pieces we need this offseason are Oline,Dline,Oline,Dline.

People get all caught up in this speed thing and think you have to have 3 WR's that can out run a lamborghini or you're nothing. We fail because we get beat like a drum in the trenches !

Not because we don't have a WR faster than a rocket.

Like they say on Maury's show, I'm 10000000% sure this is the way to go. 

Burrow doesn't need fancy weapons, he just needs a chance. An Oline can protect him and give him a running game. He can do the rest himself until the team's ready to make a serious run.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 02:19 PM)Bmore Birds Wrote: Like they say on Maury's show, I'm 10000000% sure this is the way to go. 

Burrow doesn't need fancy weapons, he just needs a chance. An Oline can protect him and give him a running game. He can do the rest himself until the team's ready to make a serious run.

Ravens fan making the most sense here
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 01:41 AM)BengalChris Wrote: As long as things are status quo in the Bengals front office do not expect any playoff wins except by sheer heroics from the players, who will have to overachieve to a marked degree.

The clock is ticking and the Bengals front office can't be manned by the same people forever.

IIRC, things are now as they were in 2011,12,13,14,15 and those were all playoff years. Of course, Merv was coaching instead of the "Big Mac Zac Attack"...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 02:19 PM)Bmore Birds Wrote: Like they say on Maury's show, I'm 10000000% sure this is the way to go. 

BINGO

Folks we have a winner
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 02:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: BINGO

Folks we have a winner

some people have been saying this the entire time but nobody was entertaining it until they saw the browns win last night
Reply/Quote
It is satisfying to see the Steelers take a page from the 2009 Bengals' playbook and let a team into the playoffs only to lose to them the next week.
Reply/Quote
Love when the Steelers lose. This one almost felt as good as us beating them...almost. The Browns won a playoff game and a much better than us. Hasn't always been that way, may not stay that way, but they are better.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 10:29 AM)Interceptor Wrote: There was a Browns fan that posted somewhere in a reply to an NFL article a couple of years ago that the NFL was celebrating it's 100th anniversary but only recognizes the 50 or so champions/championships of the Super Bowl era.

C. The Browns beat Dallas in 1968 and 1969 during the Super Bowl era, well before the Bengals won their first playoff games. 
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 12:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s EXACTLY why Burrow was drafted: To make up for deficiencies — and it backfired.  The Front Office and 99% of the fans thought simply getting Burrow would be sufficiently to turn the team around and this was pigheaded and wrong.

No. Not even close. The vast majority thought he could mask some deficiencies, which he did. I can't think of one single person that thought getting Burrow was the one and only thing the Bengals needed to do to get right. 

His injury was because they kept running a LG out there that was getting blown up constantly. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote