Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bucs fired their DC - why is Austin still employed?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000974617/article/buccaneers-fire-defensive-coordinator-mike-smith

It's bad when Tampa Bay has more accountability than Marvin does. Austin should have been fired after the Carolina debacle but no he's still there like the worthless DC that he is.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
because he is a new coordinator with a new system only 6 games into the season. A season where we are 4-2

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Couldn't tell ya.

You gotta think anyone but Austin would be an improvement at this point
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000974617/article/buccaneers-fire-defensive-coordinator-mike-smith

It's bad when Tampa Bay has more accountability than Marvin does. Austin should have been fired after the Carolina debacle but no he's still there like the worthless DC that he is.

Could be because TB is 2nd to last in the league in yards allowed and last in points allowed. Plus they have a losing record.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:07 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Couldn't tell ya.

You gotta think anyone but Austin would be an improvement at this point

Even Mike Smith? This is just ridiculous. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I thought and still think we are loaded with defensive talent. We are on pace for franchise worst type records.

I thought Austin was a candidate to replace Marvin in the future. No longer more
Reply/Quote
6 game in we are in first place with 2 losses and its fire the DC? Really?
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:24 PM)Beaker Wrote: 6 game in we are in first place with 2 losses and its fire the DC? Really?

Have you seen the defense?
Reply/Quote
Good for Tampa Bay! I sure as hell hope they have a positional coach that they feel is up for the job. (kind of like us with Lazor, last year) But, as far as the Bengals go, who you going to put into that interim role? I mean it is mid-season, after all... Unless we promote Lazor to HC, and demote Marvin to DC, I can't think of any good options. All of our decent defensive coaches have moved on.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:31 PM)bengals73 Wrote: Have you seen the defense?

Have you seen teams improve in a season? 6 games is a little early to pull the trigger on a new system.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:39 PM)Beaker Wrote: Have you seen teams improve in a season? 6 games is a little early to pull the trigger on a new system.

Not teams this bad at tackling.. There might be more missed tackles than actual tackles at this point. 
Reply/Quote
Mike Smith is thinking "In Cincy I'd get a 5 year extension for this work!"
Reply/Quote
The Bucs arguably had the worst defense in the league.

Bengals defense is hovering just a tad lower than 20 range.

I think the D is under performing a bit, but not as much as others think though.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:54 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The Bucs arguably had the worst defense in the league.

Bengals defense is hovering just a tad lower than 20 range.

I think the D is under performing a bit, but not as much as others think though.

I'd say ranked 29th is pretty friggin bad
Reply/Quote
We fired our OC after 2 games last season. Don't try to act like this front office doesn't take action.

You need to relax and come back to the messageboard in a week lol, the Bengals shouldn't get anyone that isn't directly involved this fumed.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000974617/article/buccaneers-fire-defensive-coordinator-mike-smith

So, who ya got in mind for them to have take over?  Have you seen something in the defensive positional coaches that I missed?  It's pretty slim pickin's right now.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:24 PM)Beaker Wrote: 6 game in we are in first place with 2 losses and its fire the DC? Really?

Yep. No need to run to the fire exit yet.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:59 PM)bengals73 Wrote: I'd say ranked 29th is pretty friggin bad

Yeah they are 29th in yards given up, I thought they were bit higher than that.

They are also 23rd in points/game, and 31st in 3rd down conversion %

So yeah, I would have them overall in that mid 20 range at most, definitely lower than what I said just a bit ago. Basically they just aren't that good. 

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 08:10 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Yeah they are 29th in yards given up, I thought they were bit higher than that.

They are also 23rd in points/game, and  31st in 3rd down conversion %

So yeah, I would have them overall in that mid 20 range at most, definitely lower than what I said just a bit ago. Basically they just aren't that good. 

How is a new DC going to remedy the situation at NT?  Glassgow is gone for the year, and Billings just ain't up to the challenge.  One might think "Oh, that's only one position", but it is a position that means so much to teams that can stop the run and put their pass rushers into effect.  When you don't have a monster to tie up two OL every play, the LBs have Guards and Centers in their faces all day long.  Then, the Safeties have to come down, leaving the middle of the field completely vulnerable.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 08:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How is a new DC going to remedy the situation at NT?  Glassgow is gone for the year, and Billings just ain't up to the challenge.  One might think "Oh, that's only one position", but it is a position that means so much to teams that can stop the run and put their pass rushers into effect.  When you don't have a monster to tie up two OL every play, the LBs have Guards and Centers in their faces all day long.  Then, the Safeties have to come down, leaving the middle of the field completely vulnerable.

Not much a new DC can do at this point. I think it is too early to fire Austin, just see how the season plays out. But if not much improvement is seen by end of season, I don't see how they can keep him beyond.

Reply/Quote