Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bullock lost the game
Why does the kicker get no grief for missing a late FG? This should be a very makeable FG.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 05:13 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Why does the kicker get no grief for missing a late FG? This should be a very makeable FG.

52 yards is not an automatic except for the best kickers.

He's been money under 50 yards.    Anything over that is a gamble.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 05:16 PM)3wt Wrote: 52 yards is not an automatic except for the best kickers.

Thought it was only 50yds but Tucker hit the game winner from 56 to give them the lead. I guess we shouldn't expect greatness because we are Bengals fans. 
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 05:28 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Thought it was only 50yds but Tucker hit the game winner from 56 to give them the lead. I guess we shouldn't expect greatness because we are Bengals fans. 

He had his hand in the loss.  But with so many other hands in it, does it even matter?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 05:16 PM)3wt Wrote: 52 yards is not an automatic except for the best kickers.

This. Bullock is not a big-leg kicker. It's been known he's inconsistent at 50+.
In fact, Bullock is 7-of-15 (46.7%) on FGs 50+ in his 7 seasons but he's 82.1% in his career for total FGM.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 05:28 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Thought it was only 50yds but Tucker hit the game winner from 56 to give them the lead. I guess we shouldn't expect greatness because we are Bengals fans. 

Bullock had his hand in the loss, and we should expect greatness. However, Bullock did not “lose” the game. He’s a solid, but not spectacular kicker. He is not an issue, but that doesn’t absolve him from being replaced, and they should do their due diligence. If they find someone, great. If not, that’s fine as well. He’s done well.

Tucker is one of the greatest kickers in NFL history, so any comparisons to him are taken with a grain of salt.
Reply/Quote

Tucker is a 90+% FG kicker with 37 of 51 FGs made in the 50+ range. That's tops of the elite.
It's not like FG kickers of Tucker's caliber are just available to be picked up.
Yes, the Bengals could have kept Jake Elliott over Bullock. While Elliott has a big leg like Tucker, he isn't as accurate overall as Tucker or even Bullock.
If Elliott had attempted a crucial kick and missed, people would be crucifying him just like they are Bullock.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 05:13 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Why does the kicker get no grief for missing a late FG? This should be a very makeable FG.

He should get his share of the blame, but it's not like it was an end of the game attempt. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
A mediocre kicker.......of course he earned an extension.

In their prime, both Nugent and Graham was far more trusted to kick from that distance. We aren't used to having to punt from the 36 yard line, but we have to now.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Randy bullock has been better than most kickers in the nfl this year
Reply/Quote
Right, because unless the game is on the line, we rarely have him kick outside of 40 yards.

All kickers would be equally impressive if that was what all was asked of them.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Like others said Randy played a part, albeit small in the big picture given that it was a 50+ kick. You could say that the offense could have gotten him closer so it was their fault. Or you could say Core cost us the game by dropping the last pass of the game on 4th and 3 since that was a clutch situation. In reality what cost the Bengals the game was shoddy run defense, terrible tackling, poor play on offense at times (I give them a small break due to AJ being out), more stupid penalties, bad coaching, poor game preparation considering the Bengals should have been prepared for a run heavy one dimensional game from the Ravens, the list goes on. That said, no Randy didn't really cost the Bengals the game. There were many contributing factors that cost them the game the least of which can be blamed on Randy. Had the Bengals put him in a good position to win or tie the game and he missed say a last minute 40 yard field goal then I'd feel slightly different.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 05:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: We aren't used to having to punt from the 36 yard line, but we have to now.

(11-19-2018, 05:49 PM)jj22 Wrote: Right, because unless the game is on the line, we rarely have him kick outside of 40 yards.

All kickers would be equally impressive if that was what all was asked of them.

Bengals have attempted 3 FGs of 50+ yards this year.  That is in the top half of the league. Only 15 teams have attempted more than 3 from beyond 50 yards.

Attempts of 50+ yards are not nearly as popular as you claim.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 05:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: In their prime, both Nugent and Graham was far more trusted to kick from that distance.

For his career Graham (.531) was only slightly better than Bullock (.467) from 50+.  Nugent (.433) was worse.
Reply/Quote
No....just no. Awful playcalling, horrible LB play, garbage run blocking and WRs unable to win one on one lost this game. Bullock shouldnt have been in that position. Played a rookie QB and a Ravens team that basically announced they were going to run almost every down and the Bengals D still gave up 400 yards. The D is unfathomably bad and we have the worst LB corp in NFL history
Reply/Quote
I'd say our inability to stop the run when the Ravens' entire offensive gameplan was built around it is what lost us this game.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I dont blame bullock, he is what he is. I blame the coaching staff who cant find a kicker who can make it from 50+
Reply/Quote
That's a kick you have to make end of story.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 07:05 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I dont blame bullock, he is what he is. I blame the coaching staff who cant find a kicker who can make it from 50+

(11-19-2018, 07:10 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: That's a kick you have to make end of story.

So all we have to do is find a kicker who never misses, right?

How stupid can our coaches be for not finding this guy already?

[Image: 4M0fBlK.gif] 

In all seriousness Bullock deserves a "share" of the blame for defeat, but it is not like the rest of the team played great and only lost because Bullock screwed up.  In fact even if bullock makes the kick we are still just tied.
Reply/Quote
Bullock did not lose the game.
He lost the chance to tie the game and perhaps send it into overtime.  Fact is even after he missed the kick we got the ball back and had a chance to score a TD or FG.
Whilst he may not have had loads of threads written about him on the message board I'm sure he got plenty of 'grief' from Simmons.
Reply/Quote