Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bullock lost the game
(11-19-2018, 10:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If the Cincinnati offense had done its job, Fat Randy wouldn’t have been in that position.

So theres no point of having a good kicker? Just rely on the offense to score? Get real even playoff teams have depended on field goal kickers even the pats.
Reply/Quote
It's a damn good thing that Randy Bullock is our best defensive player bar none.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
When we kept Bullock we conceded the realistic expectation that we can make 50+ yard field goals.

It's hard to blame Bullock for not hitting a 51 yard field goal, because nobody truly thought he would make the kick in the first place.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 08:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Brilliant. Then all we need to do is find ourselves a HoF kicker who will go down as one of the best of all time. Simple enough. Wish you asked for this last week so we could have already gotten one.   Ninja

Huber is 8th in the NFL in punts inside the 20. Last year he was 5th.

He is never going to be elite in punt distance because Marvin loves to play conservative field position games leading to a lot of punts where he simply doesn't have the field to go deeper. A 34 yard punt from the opponent's 40 that goes out of bounds at the 6 is a good thing if you're looking for field position. It doesn't look pretty on the cumulative stat sheet, though, except on punts inside the 20, which Huber is great at.

I disagree with your stats though. A punt at the 19 is technically inside the 20 yard line. When we put from mid field to pin them deep, the 19 is not getting it done. I would love to see how many times he has punted inside the 10 if you have that line.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 09:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Haha. It's funny Fred...some of the people in this thread talk about how John Ross is 'good' and William Jackson is on the verge of being a shutdown corner...yet they're all over Bullock for missing a 50+ yard kick.

Atlanta is 6-6, Dallas, NYJ, Buffalo, Jacksonville are  4-5, from 50+. Giving him a pass for missing a very makeable fg is what Bengals fans expect. You get what you want. You want mediocracy that's what you get. Its no coincidence that the last time this team was on the verge of greatness was 40 yrs ago when Forrest Gregg was the coach.
Reply/Quote
Fans are genreally unfair towards kickers, but at the same time I can get the frustration because we kept Bullock, the boring vet over the young guy with "super upside" because we wanted a safe vet. Thus, I can see why people are annoyed when the safe vet fails. I get it.
Reply/Quote
If we could just find a K that never misses, a QB with a cannon arm that never misses open receivers, 5 OL that never get beat in pass pro, 3 LB's that hit like Joe Greene and cover like Rod Woodson, a couple of decent Deion Sanders type shutdown CB's, and an Ed Reed type ball Hawking S, we'd be SB champs for sure.

Blame should start with the guys that can't even make routine plays with regularity, not a guy for failing on one extremely difficult play.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 05:28 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Thought it was only 50yds but Tucker hit the game winner from 56 to give them the lead. I guess we shouldn't expect greatness because we are Bengals fans. 

Tucker is one of the best kickers of all time. It would have been great if Bullock made that and it sucks he didnt but plenty blame to go around for that loss.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 05:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: A mediocre kicker.......of course he earned an extension.

In their prime, both Nugent and Graham was far more trusted to kick from that distance. We aren't used to having to punt from the 36 yard line, but we have to now.

In their prime they were both awesome kickers.   I remember Nugent at Ohio State.   The dude was money 52 yards and under.   He also was a great kicker for us for years.

But both Nuge and Graham lost their mojo and were never the same after they did.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:09 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: You get what you want. You want mediocracy that's what you get

Please list the name of every member here who "wants mediocrity".

I have noticed that most people who try to claim they are superior because they "refuse to accept mediocrity" on the internet usually have accomplished nothing in their real lives.
Reply/Quote
Nately120 Wrote:I assume Bullock has a big leg because he looks like he's on the Janikowski diet.

Anybody who can get his leg up that high with a belly like that has my undying admiration.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:09 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Atlanta is 6-6, Dallas, NYJ, Buffalo, Jacksonville are  4-5, from 50+. Giving him a pass for missing a very makeable fg is what Bengals fans expect. You get what you want. You want mediocracy that's what you get. Its no coincidence that the last time this team was on the verge of greatness was 40 yrs ago when Forrest Gregg was the coach.

Sam Wyche would beg to differ. Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Yeah.....I'm having a hard time pinning the loss on Randy for missing a 52 yarder that had the distance.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 07:07 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yeah.....I'm having a hard time pinning the loss on Randy for missing a 52 yarder that had the distance.

I haven’t even considered the thought. Almost like calling a basketball player garbage for not swishing a half court shot.

Reply/Quote
I don't blame Randy, I blame the idiots that decided to go for a FG at that spot, knowing that Tucker has a better chance of getting that 50 yarder than we do if we miss. We gave them the game. Should've punted it and trapped deep. Still a tied game at that point. If Defense can hold them out of FG range for Tucker, then we get it back with a chance for it to be a walk off winner and worst case at that point? OT. I wouldn't want to trust any kicker to hit a 50 yarder, stay in their ranges.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 07:47 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I don't blame Randy, I blame the idiots that decided to go for a FG at that spot, knowing that Tucker has a better chance of getting that 50 yarder than we do if we miss.  We gave them the game. Should've punted it and trapped deep. Still a tied game at that point. If Defense can hold them out of FG range for Tucker, then we get it back with a chance for it to be a walk off winner and worst case at that point? OT. I wouldn't want to trust any kicker to hit a 50 yarder, stay in their ranges.

Before that miss Bullock was a 50% kicker from 50+ (7 of 14).

Got to give him the shot.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 07:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Before that miss Bullock was a 50% kicker from 50+ (7 of 14).

Got to give him the shot.

No you don't have to give him a shot.

Flip it and look who's on the other side. Tucker. Pin Deep and try again later.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 07:31 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I haven’t even considered the thought. Almost like calling a basketball player garbage for not swishing a half court shot.

Me either. I mean I thought if he hits this, it will be awesome. I certainly didn't expect him to...but he's been pretty automatic from like 48 and in. Like Mike stated here above this post, I might have considered the punt there....

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 05:28 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Thought it was only 50yds but Tucker hit the game winner from 56 to give them the lead. I guess we shouldn't expect greatness because we are Bengals fans. 

In the same breath you could make a claim that the game was lost by the Bengals D who gave the ball to BAL with 39 seconds left and let them drive down the field so Tucker could make that FG.
Reply/Quote
I blame Core for not catching a ball that Dalton throws and hits his chest. Watch the replay its all on him.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/video/highlight-marlon-humphrey-breaks-up-fourth-down-pass-to-seal-win-old
Reply/Quote