Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict Changed?
Looked like a "light tackle" from my point of view. I don't feel like the Super Destroyer meant any ill will.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 07:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: So carl Lawson too since he threw Mixon to the ground by his neck two plays later right?

That seemed to be more of a case of Mixon losing his balance.

There's no reason to dive at a guy's knees in a wrap up drill, and there's certainly no reason to push a coach when he corrects you on it.  There is absolutely no defense for Burfict in this case.  He screwed up, then decided to get physical with the staff rather than take the xss chewing he had coming.  Nobody is saying Burfict needs to be cut or anything like that, but it's amazing how some people will fall all over themselves to excuse make for the guy when he screws up.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 07:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I actually have less of an issue with the coach getting pushed than I do the tackle. At that time that was the opposing team's coach getting in his face (ala Jerry Porter). If I were the LB coach they would have had to separate me and the coach that got in Burfict's face. 

I have an issue with it, because Adam Jones has already shown us what happens when you push an opposing team's assistant coach in a high stakes game.  Burfict will, rightly or wrongly, be under a microscope as long as he's a Bengal.  The zebras will be looking for any reason to throw a flag on him, especially against Pittsburgh and Baltimore.  In that game  situation, what should be a 15 yard penalty on the opposition for a coach on the field gets turned into a slam dunk 15 yard penalty on us when he shoves him.  That's a 30 yard swing in field position and an automatic 1st down for the offense because Burfict can't keep his cool.  Sure, the other team instigated it, but at some point, you have to learn to quit taking the bait.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 05:33 PM)Trademark Wrote: Here's the vid

https://mobile.twitter.com/JayMorrisonCMG/status/892469815931273216/video/1

I saw nothing wrong. I do think the RB coach needs to stay in his lane though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 07:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I actually have less of an issue with the coach getting pushed than I do the tackle. At that time that was the opposing team's coach getting in his face (ala Jerry Porter). If I were the LB coach they would have had to separate me and the coach that got in Burfict's face. 

I'd rep you if I could.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 07:31 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: There would be no Tweets, articles, or threads about it if the jersey number was any other than 55 or 24...

It was the scuffle that got tweeted mainly, but yeah being #55 that instigated it is golden to report on. 

And to be fair, the other scuffle of the day got tweeted about too. Eifert was blocking S.Williams behind the line, and basically blocked/threw him to the ground. Williams got up and shoved Eifert for scuffle #2 of the day. Video of it in link below. Havent figured out how to bring over a twitter vid to here.

https://twitter.com/pauldehnerjr/status/892500036596137984
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 07:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: That seemed to be more of a case of Mixon losing his balance.

There's no reason to dive at a guy's knees in a wrap up drill, and there's certainly no reason to push a coach when he corrects you on it.  There is absolutely no defense for Burfict in this case.  He screwed up, then decided to get physical with the staff rather than take the xss chewing he had coming.  Nobody is saying Burfict needs to be cut or anything like that, but it's amazing how some people will fall all over themselves to excuse make for the guy when he screws up.

Burfict could lay the dirtiest hit in NFL history and be suspended for weeks, yet there will always be those that will defend him no matter what. It is what it is when it comes to rooting for one's favorite team.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I have no clue why this hit is being made a big deal. It appears he slid. Oh wait I figured out why after rewatching it!! It was Tez so we must crucify everything he does
Reply/Quote
Jeeez..we did much worse in Jr high ball than this. 
It's a non-issue, but someone always has to pretend there's a bad guy and the good guy in everything. 
A coach jumps in and becomes fair game as well. 
The most I'd expect is for the coaching staff to go over what's expected and not expected in team meetings.  Otherwise move along. Nothing to see here other than someone making a big deal out of nothing..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 08:24 PM)grampahol Wrote: A coach jumps in and becomes fair game as well.  

This is one of the dumbest things I've read in a while.

Allowing players to push coaches with no consequences is yet another example of how little discipline Marvin Lewis instills in his team.  It would be different had the coach initiated the contact, but all did was get in his face (you know, what football coaches do) and Burfict has so little self-control that he can't help himself to push a coach from his own team.

Don't ***** when this team blows multiple games due to mental weakness yet again this season if you condone that nonsense.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 07:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: That seemed to be more of a case of Mixon losing his balance.

I watched the video, several times.  I saw no 'dive at the knees".  

What I did see was an attempt to wrap him at the waist, that slid down.

Pretty sure that I also saw a tweet from that same Deener dude, posted on FB, that said both were sitting together, after practice, talking about "water under".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 08:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I watched the video, several times.  I saw no 'dive at the knees".  

Pretty sure that I also saw a tweet from that same Deener dude, posted on FB, that said both were sitting together, after practice, talking about "water under".

Beat me to it. Gio wasn't even upset when the hit happened. The whole thing broke out because that coach got involved and went at Burfict.

This is ridiculous that this even made national news. If it were anybody other than Burfict this would be a non-issue.  Whatever 

Some people (mainly these tweeting "sports writers") need to lighten up realize that this is football, not table tennis. Yes, Burfict wasn't supposed to bring Gio to the ground. Well, too bad. He did. And he's not the only one who's ever done it. Contact drill, non-tackling drill or whatever, players get tackled in any scenario. It's quite common. That's what it was: a tackle. He didn't lower his should and try to take out his head or knee. It's nowhere near as dirty as the media is trying to make it out to be. 

People just can't help but latch on to previous storylines and crucify Burfict for "being dirty". It pisses me off because this would never happen to the likes of. James Harrison, Ray Lewis, Joey Porter, etc. Burfuct is only portrayed as a villain because he's a Bengal and it's easy to rip on a... "Historically less-than-successful" franchise. 

God I hope this team kicks some serious ass this year
Reply/Quote
Just to add to my previous post. I noticed many admonishing Burfict for a little hand touch to RB coach Kyle Caskey. My question is, "Why is Caskey running out there in the middle of the players, like some sort of "Mother Hen"? At that moment, why does he not have his hands fully clutched around Paul Alexander's throat, asking him "Where in the hell was the blocking!"?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 04:49 PM)Au165 Wrote: Did you see the video? I don't see the big deal here he hit him mid thigh. Is he supposed to hit him with his head up high in the hole? That is how you want a guy who has had multiple concussions tackling, low and not with his head. I get that it's Gio and where he is coming from with his injury, but Burfict isn't trying to recognize the # running at him through the hole.
Exactly........  I can't believe people are making this an issue.

If he hits him high, he gets a penalty for helmet-to-helmet, and not to mention a player bouncing off or breaking the tackle.  

If he hits him low, he gets penalized for going after his knees.  

It was a PERFECT hit.
(08-01-2017, 04:53 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Just saw the video, wasn't really that bad. It was a little low for comfort, sure. But what is Burfict supposed to do there? He made contact with his thigh, thankfully. It could have been worse and he shouldn't have been going low on Gio. Did Burfict even know who the RB was?
I saw a perfect hit that wasn't even going low.  He still had Gio's entire thigh between his helmet and knee.  
(08-01-2017, 04:58 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Apparently defenders are only supposed to wrap up in the drill and not tackle. If that's the case, then it's not good that Burfict just disregarded that.
Burfict was coming to meet him in the hole with momentum and hit him perfectly mid-level, which is the only place you're allowed to anymore, so it wasn't like Burfict slammed him to the ground.  That was about as light of a tackle as you could ask for.
(08-01-2017, 05:27 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I'm just trying to figure out why the hell he would do that when it's his own teammate and it's a practice.  All I can think of is when he lets his emotions go, he cannot turn them off.
HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING BESIDES COME UP AND MAKE A LIGHT HIT IN THE HOLE!  You play the way you practice, which is why it's called practice, because they're preparing for the real thing.

Nothing dirty about it and nothing vicious about it.  No harm whatsoever.
(08-01-2017, 05:38 PM)packerbacker Wrote: No offense but Burfict can be too aggressive at times. Clay Matthews can be too though.
But now was not one of those times.
(08-01-2017, 07:14 PM)J24 Wrote: Same reason why you love Burfict is the same reason why you hate him. He is a dirty football player not that I care because he is on my favorite team. Also the truth is you need to have some dirty players on your team to win a championship.
But this play wasn't dirty.  It was good, sound, fundamental football.
(08-01-2017, 07:22 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Paul Dehner Jr.‏Verified account @pauldehnerjr
"It was a non-tackling drill. It's a thud drill. You aren't supposed to tackle. Especially the guy 8 months off ACL surgery."

I think the better option is if you dont want a player hit in a non-tackling drill, put Burfict on the sidelines. 
It wasn't like Burfict even wrapped up in an attempt to tackle!  It was between the tackles and he hit him perfectly!  His force is what caused Gio to go down, not being wrapped up.  Watch it again.
(08-01-2017, 08:09 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Burfict could lay the dirtiest hit in NFL history and be suspended for weeks, yet there will always be those that will defend him no matter what. It is what it is when it comes to rooting for one's favorite team.

He could, but there's also the flip-side like this where he does nothing wrong and people will be calling for him to be tossed out of the league.  
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 08:56 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: This is one of the dumbest things I've read in a while.

Allowing players to push coaches with no consequences is yet another example of how little discipline Marvin Lewis instills in his team.  It would be different had the coach initiated the contact, but all did was get in his face (you know, what football coaches do) and Burfict has so little self-control that he can't help himself to push a coach from his own team.

Don't ***** when this team blows multiple games due to mental weakness yet again this season if you condone that nonsense.

Hmm... I didn't want to address this because I agree and disagree with you at the same time.

I can't stand Marvin. I think he's a weak, scared coach on game day. His team is always weak mentally and prone to some pretty stupid s***. 

However, in this case Burfict pushing the coach is not that big of a deal. It's different when someone comes at you, screaming in your face and cussing you out than a coach yelling about a mental error. This guy isn't even Burfict's position coach. These guys are in the middle of an intense football practice. Emotions and tensions are high and everyone is fired up (including coaches). 

If he actually hit the coach, I'd have an issue. But he gave him a shove, nothing more. I don't know if you've ever been on a football field but the last thing you want to do is go at a guy who's in "game time" mindset. The coach had no business getting in Vontaze's business. 

Now back to the mental weakness issue: I have little doubt that that will show a few times this season. And I fully blame Marvin for that. It's typical of his teams to lose poise and control in some way. 

It's funny because I recently watched a game from 2004 (the patriots game) and the announcers were praising the "mental toughness" and "winning football attiutude" Marvin was bringing to Cincy. At the time, I agreed and was very pumped for the future with Marvin at the helm... My how wrong we were.
Reply/Quote
The more and more I read about this, the more and more I think of it as a "Set-Up" but in a good way.

It's like the coaches, Giovani(I type his full first name since he said in an interview when he was drafted that he doesn't like being referred to as "Gio") and Burfict got together and planned this to instill fear in other teams that Burfict is going to destroy you if you have the ball.

Ok, most likely not but it sounds good.

I can't watch the video because my iPad is first gen and I hope someone can put the video up here so I can see it. 

It sounds like those who hate Burfict are going to over react while those who love him will under react. So, I figure Burfict went in, wrapped up, let go and slipped or fell. He needs to be careful next time and if a coach is that worried about Giovani's knee, Giovani shouldnt be out there in any kind of contact drill because accidents happen.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 08:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I watched the video, several times.  I saw no 'dive at the knees".  

He hit him in the thigh and wrapped up at the knees, but I guess we will all see what we want.  If it was an innocent play, I highly doubt the offense jumps in like it did.  I'm glad things are worked out going forward, but the issues between Eifert and Burfict stemming from the Giovanni play stretched all throughout the practice.
Reply/Quote
I'd be way more worried if there weren't any fights/shoving matches during preseason practice.

As for the hit this is football still ain't it ? It's not that bad ! Like others have said this wouldn't even make the bottom of the last page of the newspaper if it weren't Burfict.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 07:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: There's no reason to dive at a guy's knees in a wrap up drill, and there's certainly no reason to push a coach when he corrects you on it.

Check that video again, he makes initial contact far closer to the waist than knees, no diving at the knees at all. As for the coach, tough to see what happens in the scrum but the coach should have never been the first one in on something like that, he is too emotionally attached to "his guy" at that moment.
Reply/Quote
Seems we have a little passion? Slowly turning my head and hoping it grows into an uncontrollable beast!

Reply/Quote