Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict Changed?
(08-01-2017, 10:16 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Seems we have a little passion? Slowly turning my head and hoping it grows into an uncontrollable beast!

This is kind of interesting. There were three other incidents today where a defender laid out an offensive player. Seems like the defense is has got a little edge to them. We may need them to carry us some games this year when the O line breaks down.
Reply/Quote
Gio is goign to get rocked a lot harder than that very soon. I think three things are certain in life, taxes, death, and Gio and Eifert not going 16 games.

I'm more interested in the Defense taking over games. It's obvious the offense has weapons if the offensive line can give Dalton or any RB more than 2 seconds before an opponent is in the backfield. I would like Burfict to scare people, and he does. When Burfict is on the field we give up almost 1 TD less per game.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 05:33 PM)Trademark Wrote: Here's the vid

https://mobile.twitter.com/JayMorrisonCMG/status/892469815931273216/video/1

Talk about making something out of nothing. That wasn't even close to being anything dirty. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
He is who he is. People should probably know that by now.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 10:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: Check that video again, he makes initial contact far closer to the waist than knees, no diving at the knees at all. As for the coach, tough to see what happens in the scrum but the coach should have never been the first one in on something like that, he is too emotionally attached to "his guy" at that moment.

However anyone wants to slice it, it was below the waistline and not permitted in the drill.  

As for the latter, it is the coach's job to run the practice.  Burfict went outside of the parameters of the drill, and he is perfectly within his rights to read him the riot act.  If Burfict can't deal with it, he's in the wrong business.  Any coach I ever played for would at the very least have a player running gassers until they dropped for pushing a coach.  Sadly, today frames the difference between us and championship teams.  Bellichek kicked Edelman and Gilmore out of practice today for fighting.  Burfict shoves a coach, and nothing.
Reply/Quote
Well, haven't you ever had one of those days where you wanted to do that to a coworker? Lucky for Tez, he has a job where it's possible.

Reply/Quote
If this wasn't Burfict, it wouldn't be news.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 04:45 PM)jj22 Wrote: He just tried to take out Gio's knee which (rightfully) started brawl with whole team and RB coach.

Why would he think it was a good idea to tackle Gio by taking out his knees?

Disappointed in Burfict for not taking care of his own teammate.

Brawls happen in Training Camp.....Tim Krumrie was involved in many brawls in Training Camp.... I'm sorry about Gio's gimpy knee, but you NEED GOOD HARD TOUGH TRAINING CAMP....not a pussycat touch footy ball practice. ...YOU ARE ONLY AS TOUGH AS YOU PRACTICE....YOU ARE ONLY AS TOUGH IN GAMES AS YOU ARE IN PRACTICE. ....The Bengals WERE NOT a good team in 2016, and they need GOOD HARD TOUGH TRAINING CAMP if they are hoping a return to play-offs....If you play in the AFC North, YOU BETTER BE TOUGH.

Many on here saying Burfict made a legal tackle.....GOOD.....because Burfict making illegal hits is now Ejection From Game and Next Game Suspension per New NFL Rule on ALL PLAYERS...buy you know Refs will be watching Burfict more than most other players. ....Good to hear Burfict made a Legal Tackle.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
After reading replies, there seem to be 2 sets of people.

1) People who have an issue with it because it was a non-tackling drill
or
2) People who say he is dirty because Gio is coming off ACL surgery and he tackled too "low"?

Burfict absolutely should not have done this in a non-tackling drill.  I agree 100% and it was a dumb move.

As for the tackle, it was text book and not "dirty" if this were a full contact drill.  He hit him in the waist and slid down to the leg as they went down.  He did not dive at the knees as so many, especially in the media, are suggesting.  Are you asking him to check to see who is RB on each play and change his approach?  Are you asking him to aim higher on Gio only?  Seems ridiculous.

Again, Burfict is an idiot for doing this crap in a non-tackling drill.
Reply/Quote
Gio doesn't have an issue with it....

So its not an issue

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/02/giovani-bernard-on-vontaze-burfict-hes-my-buddy/
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 09:53 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Gio doesn't have an issue with it....

So its not an issue

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/02/giovani-bernard-on-vontaze-burfict-hes-my-buddy/

Of course it's not, but then of course it is. Media cameras were there, a scuffle broke out, it involved Vontaze, it's the Bengals (the medias punching bag) there's no way this wasn't making national news.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 10:01 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Of course it's not, but then of course it is. Media cameras were there, a scuffle broke out, it involved Vontaze, it's the Bengals (the medias punching bag) there's no way this wasn't making national news.

Who cares..

If Gio isn't mad  none of us have a reason to be.

People always looking for a reason to be mad about something.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 07:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I actually have less of an issue with the coach getting pushed than I do the tackle. At that time that was the opposing team's coach getting in his face (ala Jerry Porter). If I were the LB coach they would have had to separate me and the coach that got in Burfict's face. 

I see what you did there.....too bad I can't rep.

As to the OP.....musta been a slow news day.  Non issue.  If you let the beast off the leash, people are gonna get bit.  I love having a beast on this team.  Dude is just mean, but only on the football field.  No trouble off the field, and does quite a bit of charity work under the radar.  I'll take 22 Burficts.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 03:30 AM)kevin Wrote: Brawls happen in Training Camp.....Tim Krumrie was involved in many brawls in Training Camp.... I'm sorry about Gio's gimpy knee, but you NEED GOOD HARD TOUGH TRAINING CAMP....not a pussycat touch footy ball practice. ...YOU ARE ONLY AS TOUGH AS YOU PRACTICE....YOU ARE ONLY AS TOUGH IN GAMES AS YOU ARE IN PRACTICE. ....The Bengals WERE NOT a good team in 2016, and they need GOOD HARD TOUGH TRAINING CAMP if they are hoping a return to play-offs....If you play in the AFC North, YOU BETTER BE TOUGH.

Many on here saying Burfict made a legal tackle.....GOOD.....because Burfict making illegal hits is now Ejection From Game and Next Game Suspension per New NFL Rule on ALL PLAYERS...buy you know Refs will be watching Burfict more than most other players. ....Good to hear Burfict made a Legal Tackle.

Agreed

(08-02-2017, 10:29 AM)Wyche Wrote: I see what you did there.....too bad I can't rep.

As to the OP.....musta been a slow news day.  Non issue.  If you let the beast off the leash, people are gonna get bit.  I love having a beast on this team.  Dude is just mean, but only on the football field.  No trouble off the field, and does quite a bit of charity work under the radar.  I'll take 22 Burficts.

Yup,

I get the whole non-tackling drill, ok cool. But it's football for crying out loud !! The hit was in no way dirty. Perhaps Burfict got caught up in the moment ? It couldn't be more of a non issue for me, as it is Gio.

Gawd let the season start soon.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 12:13 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If this wasn't Burfict, it wouldn't be news.

This.
Reply/Quote
If this is a live drill, It's a nice tackle. He read the play, filled the hole and made the tackle. You can't expect defensive players to 'hold up' in live drills. Gio shouldn't participate in live drills if he's not ready.

However, if this was a wrap up drill like some here are saying, that's a completely different story. Wrap up drills exist for players to learn & recognize their assignments at speed. Ball carrier or receiver gets wrapped up above the waist and the play is over. If Burfict made a tackle during a wrap up drill, that would be a B.S. move and totally wrong. He's essentially hitting and tackling someone that wasn't expected to be hit and tackled. That's a recipe for major injury and you just don't do that to a teammate.

But I'll give Burfict the benefit of the doubt on this. Maybe it was live, or maybe his instincts kicked in and he forgot that it wasn't live. Little brawls happen often at camps. Most are pretty benign. Most coaches dismiss them as non-issues (except obviously in New England). The thing that bothers me a little is that he shoved a coach with no apparent consequences. That's where, in my opinion, the line must be drawn. If Burfict actually hit and tackled during a wrap-up drill, he absolutely deserved an earful from the coach. But regardless, seeing Burfict shove a coach just shows that the inmates are still running the asylum, a hallmark of M.L. coached teams, and apparently that hasn't changed.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 09:12 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Beat me to it. Gio wasn't even upset when the hit happened. The whole thing broke out because that coach got involved and went at Burfict.

This is ridiculous that this even made national news. If it were anybody other than Burfict this would be a non-issue.  Whatever 

Some people (mainly these tweeting "sports writers") need to lighten up realize that this is football, not table tennis. Yes, Burfict wasn't supposed to bring Gio to the ground. Well, too bad. He did. And he's not the only one who's ever done it. Contact drill, non-tackling drill or whatever, players get tackled in any scenario. It's quite common. That's what it was: a tackle. He didn't lower his should and try to take out his head or knee. It's nowhere near as dirty as the media is trying to make it out to be. 

People just can't help but latch on to previous storylines and crucify Burfict for "being dirty". It pisses me off because this would never happen to the likes of. James Harrison, Ray Lewis, Joey Porter, etc. Burfuct is only portrayed as a villain because he's a Bengal and it's easy to rip on a... "Historically less-than-successful" franchise. 

God I hope this team kicks some serious ass this year

*Jerry* Porter......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 12:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: *Jerry* Porter......

Jerry is a scum bag. Makes me glad we have classy players like A.C. Green on the Bengals.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 04:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Jerry is a scum bag. Makes me glad we have classy players like A.C. Green on the Bengals.

Love me some A.C.

[Image: 14316112988626.jpg?w=329&quality=100&str...=all&h=218]

Reply/Quote
I didn't read through the entire thread so this may have already been said. There was NOTHING wrong with the hit. They weren't supposed to be tackling but it was said that Burfict tripped on a lineman as he was making contact with Gio and that's why it ended up being a "tackle" instead of a wrap up. Now to those saying that Burfict needs to chill out in practice. NO! Everyone else needs to step it up in practice! You play how you practice and you practice how you play! Yeah, we don't want to see players injured in practice, but we also want our players to ball out in real games. Can't do that if you're not balling out in practice. Example; do we see AJ Green loafing around a leisurely going after passes? No, he goes all out, even leaving his feet at times when leaving your feet in practice is a cardinal sin under Marvin Lewis! When Jerry Rice was a rookie everyone scratched their heads when he would catch a slant in practice and sprint full speed 60, 70, 80 yards all the way to the endzone. EVERY TIME! They began to understand when he started consistently scoring in real games. Play on Vontaze...
Reply/Quote