Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict and the phantom roughing
I don't know anything about how or with whom they can protest that call ? But the Bengals should take it to the highest level they possibly can.

Then they should start really raising hell !

I don't really know how to post video on here - to old haha. But that was damn near a picture perfect tackle if I at all understand the "rules" and they still flagged him. It wasn't even close to being late, I've seen way later QB hits go uncalled !

Like Leonard Leap said in game day they flagged the player, not the play ! And the Bengals need to let em know with plenty of four letter words IMHO.

Or it's never gonna stop.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately the league has painted a bullseye on Burfict.

You are right they need to raise hell about this.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The way the NFL, announcers, fans(even those of our team)have painted Burfict you'd think he was doing stuff like this...

[Image: giphy.gif]

Damn people.  He hasn't done anything in the game that's been done many times for many years before... some even legends and in the HOF.

He's not a criminal for Christ's sake!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 10:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't know anything about how or with whom they can protest that call ? But the Bengals should take it to the highest level they possibly can.

Then they should start really raising hell !

I don't really know how to post video on here - to old haha. But that was damn near a picture perfect tackle if I at all understand the "rules" and they still flagged him. It wasn't even close to being late, I've seen way later QB hits go uncalled !

Like Leonard Leap said in game day they flagged the player, not the play ! And the Bengals need to let em know with plenty of four letter words IMHO.

Or it's never gonna stop.

The announcer went on a tirade about it being clean and complete BS.  This being televised and impossible to dispute, the league will issue a statement that it was a bad call, but it won't change anything.

(10-01-2017, 10:30 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Unfortunately the league has painted a bullseye on Burfict.

You are right they need to raise hell about this.

No, Burfict has painted a bullseye on Burfict.  Do not attempt to pretend he does not have a history of smacking balls, twisting ankles, and leading with the helmet that created his image.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 10:42 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: The announcer went on a tirade about it being clean and complete BS.  This being televised and impossible to dispute, the league will issue a statement that it was a bad call, but it won't change anything.

No, Burfict has painted a bullseye on Burfict.  Do not attempt to pretend he does not have a history of smacking balls, twisting ankles, and leading with the helmet that created his image.

He doesn't deserve this.  I swear the officials have marching orders to flag him whenever possible.  They are really making themselves look pathetic.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Without double standards the NFL wouldn't have any standards.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 10:46 PM)McC Wrote: He doesn't deserve this.  I swear the officials have marching orders to flag him whenever possible.  They are really making themselves look pathetic.

Right on !

It wasn't a blow to the head, it wasn't a lead with the helmet to head/neck area shot, it wasn't low, it wasn't late.

IT WAS HARD but to my knowledge exactly where they're trying to steer the hits - in the mid section.

I guess guys (especially Burfict) are gonna start getting flags for hitting to hard ?
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 10:39 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The way the NFL, announcers, fans(even those of our team)have painted Burfict you'd think he was doing stuff like this...

[Image: giphy.gif]

Damn people.  He hasn't done anything in the game that's been done many times for many years before... some even legends and in the HOF.

He's not a criminal for Christ's sake!

He had 22 personal fouls in 37 games at Arizona State so this isn't just some conspiracy by the NFL.

He's earned a reputation for personal fouls and he's going to continue to get flagged for them in the modern NFL. The Bengals knew this when they extended him.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 11:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He had 22 personal fouls in 37 games at Arizona State so this isn't just some conspiracy by the NFL.

He's earned a reputation for personal fouls and he's going to continue to get flagged for them in the modern NFL. The Bengals knew this when they extended him.

Problem is each play should be judged on its own, not on a players reputation. The reputation excuse is just what they use to avoid having to accept just how bad some of these refs are. Easier to bash the player than admit the league needs to do a better job training refs
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 11:26 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Problem is each play should be judged on its own, not on a players reputation. The reputation excuse is just what they use to avoid having to accept just how bad some of these refs are. Easier to bash the player than admit the league needs to do a better job training refs

While I agree with that...the human element is always going to be in it with officiating...and a lot of Burfict's personal fouls were legit calls. Some were gray area...but a lot weren't.

He's made his proverbial bed.
Reply/Quote
There was a play last Sunday night, maybe Monday that was the exact tackle on a QB and was flagged. I haven't heard a thing about an apology and that was a prime time game with a game changing outcome. Maybe the team heard something but I doubt it. After the initial announcer made a remark like ( There's a flag and of course it's none other than Burfict) It was nice to hear the other announcer stick up for Burfict and say what he thought. Shame it wasent a nationaly telivised game.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 11:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He had 22 personal fouls in 37 games at Arizona State so this isn't just some conspiracy by the NFL.

You can try to justify any way you like, but it's bullshit.  They start reaching for the flag before the hit is even made.  Either the rules apply evenly to everyone or they're worthless.  What a guy did in the past is irrelevant. 

***** vendetta is what is is.    And you're gonna act like he has it coming.   What a load of crap.

The NFL just keeps getting worse and worse.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 11:54 PM)McC Wrote: You can try to justify any way you like, but it's bullshit.  They start reaching for the flag before the hit is even made.  Either the rules apply evenly to everyone or they're worthless.  What a guy did in the past is irrelevant. 

***** vendetta is what is is.    And you're gonna act like he has it coming.   What a load of crap.

The NFL just keeps getting worse and worse.

Officials are human and of course they know who the players are and their reputations and it factors in. It's much like the NBA and the Superstar calls.

It's why Jones gets so many pass interference calls too.
Reply/Quote
When I saw the hit it looked like Burfict hit him with the crown of his helmet.  Not nearly as flagrant as the Shazier hit on Gio though.  Burfict brought this on himself and Marvin allowed it by not coaching him to do otherwise.

Nice touch by Hue to tell the media he told his players not to react to Burfict's extra-curriculars so people would look for Burfict's extra-curriculars.  Pure Jedi Mind Trick there.
Reply/Quote

Not disputing this.

Just sayin'...  you'd think he'd kicked puppies and then stole an old lady's handbag the way people act about it.

There are straight up criminals on our own team and everywhere around the NFL.

There are also dirty players current and in the HOF.

The very call that put him on his latest suspension is certainly a gray area to those in and around the league.

He's made mistakes and is paying for it in fines and suspensions that carry over to judgement calls by refs.

If you don't agree... fine.  There are others who do, that aren't affiliated with the Bengals or fans.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Well the steelers should have made their own bed over the past 40 plus years I have watched them cheap shot and injure players with regularity.

Do not see a target on them ?

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Yes, and every year since he has been here the numbers of those flags and the stupid ball tapping, ankle twisting stuff has either dropped or completely gone away.

At some point you have to look at it objectively (I know, completely foreign concept to a lot of people) but the reality of life it this. Burfict came in with a ton of baggage, but his hits are far from what they were 2 or 3 years ago.

The guy hits hard....last I checked that is what was asked of an NFL LB. If he isn't allowed to hit, put flags on them and call it a day. He crushed a QB who was still on his follow through from a pass and stuck him dead center.

Not dirty. 

Not cheap.

Not late.

Not illegal.

Saying he earned this reputation is bush league. 

He just served a suspension for it, you don't keep punishing the guy after you suspend him. That would be like the state of Ohio charging you every six months for the rest of your life for the speeding ticket you got at 16.

At some point, the league needs to get off his jock and find something better to do. But, until Mike Brown grows a spine and tells the league off about it....nothing will change.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 11:59 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: When I saw the hit it looked like Burfict hit him with the crown of his helmet.  Not nearly as flagrant as the Shazier hit on Gio though.  Burfict brought this on himself and Marvin allowed it by not coaching him to do otherwise.

Nice touch by Hue to tell the media he told his players not to react to Burfict's extra-curriculars so people would look for Burfict's extra-curriculars.  Pure Jedi Mind Trick there.

Burfict does seem to run his mouth the entire game.

Reply/Quote
On the flip side, I've seen Geno Atkins plow a QB down and not get flagged. Why? Because he doesn't have the reputation of a dirty player. So the refs assume that, if he were rougher than is theoretically appropriate, there was no ill will behind it.

Burfict is going to get bogus penalties.

That's just the way it's going to be. Same thing with Jones. He'll get pushed off on and the WR won't be flagged because refs have decided what players they like and what players they don't like.

Is it fair? No...but nothing in this league is fair. Penalties are, by nature, subjective. You could technically call holding on every single play and be right. You could probably do the same with pass interference. There is tugging and grabbing on every play both in the trenches and in the secondary.

So yea, when the refs see a guy who is notorious for kneeing people in the head, twisting ankles, tapping ball sacks and just generally being a dirty player, they're going to assume he's out there trying to injure players. So any time he steps even one toe out of line, he'll pay for it.

Thems the breaks when you have a history. The American Justice System never lets people forget their past mistakes (not saying Burfict is a criminal, because he clearly is not. Just a parallel in our society). So why would the NFL?
Reply/Quote

That's a BS argument. How many legit personal fouls has he had in the NFL? A couple, sure, but the Brown hit was with his shoulder and Brown dipped his head. The preseason hit was a BS call on a perfectly legal play. This was a perfectly legal play. Who was that announcer anyway? He stood up and flat out said these were BS calls Burfict is getting because of his rep. If the league is going to continue to flag and suspend him for legal hits, he might as well start decapitating people..... which he is exceptionally capable of.
Reply/Quote