Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict facing suspension
(08-29-2017, 09:17 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I believe that is called mutually assured destruction.

For it to work though, the threat would have to be made in private not in public at first. If the teams calls out and threatens the league, then the league backs down it validates everything and the NFL is screwed.

That threat has to happen in a private closed door meeting and has to feel sincere, and on top of it the Brown family has to be willing to give up millions of dollars if the league calls their bluff, they push forward and it causes major losses in revenue.

No doubt. That is correct and in fact I put it in the form of an ultimatum.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So? No updates on the appeal?
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So? No updates on the appeal?

Apparently it could take a few days  Whatever when Marv was asked if he hoped the ruling would be made by Saturday (final cut day), he said something like he can't worry about that. So I guess maybe by Saturday?
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:22 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Apparently it could take a few days  Whatever when Marv was asked if he hoped the ruling would be made by Saturday (final cut day), he said something like he can't worry about that. So I guess maybe by Saturday?

Court shit pisses me off.

Should of been thrown out immediately just by watching the damn tape.
Reply/Quote
Legal hit. Preseason game... Didn't even draw a flag...

5 GAME SUSPENSION!!!!

F**K the NFL
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So? No updates on the appeal?

typically takes a few days. Im sure the guy who heard his appeal, is probably somewhat convinced of Burfict's case, he'll take that back to the NFL make his case for a rescinding or reduction, and the NFL will tell him no way.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 09:23 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: typically takes a few days. Im sure the guy who heard his appeal, is probably somewhat convinced of Burfict's case, he'll take that back to the NFL make his case for a rescinding or reduction, and the NFL will tell him no way.

The arbitrator has full power the NFL has to accept whatever ruling is decided regardless. what could be happening the hit was legal but deemed unneccessary. which maybe could constitute a large fine but no suspension
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 04:32 AM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: Legal hit. Preseason game... Didn't even draw a flag...

5 GAME SUSPENSION!!!!

F**K the NFL

But it was unnecessary, and the fact that it was in a meaningless preseason game can only hurt Burfict.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:05 PM)Joelist Wrote: You're missing the point behind the exercise. It isn't to protect Burflict but rather to serve notice that the bias will not be tolerated any longer. Send the message that the bias stops or you go nuclear and don't care about the consequences and the other owners will back down and reign in at least the worst of the bias. 

Bias won't be tolerated? Since when did the NFL care about bias ,perceived or not? 
Look, they want the big market teams, the teams with huge fan bases to win.
There's just too much money involved when say Pittsburgh or NE or Green Bay with their huge fan bases win as opposed to teams like Cincinnati or Kansas City. If suddenly teams with smaller fan bases suddenly are the headliners the revenue goes way down and whether anyone likes it or not it's still about the money. Competition is secondary. You can't take competition to the bank, but you can take revenue to the bank and that's the bottom line. The only way that's going to win out is if the Bengals organization and other teams like ours are willing to expose the whole farce and risk even more backlash from the league big wigs and then we may end up with players like AJ and Andy getting suspended for even pettier issues. I don't put anything past the league when it comes to protecting their coveted revenue streams. 
I truly believe that when players such as Tom Brady get suspended it's a mere deflectionary tactic so they can claim there is no bias. How many times do we have to hear guys like Kraft come out and tell us that regardless of how they feel personally about the issues they will still back up league decisions even when their own stars get suspended. They know that they're going to win because it's cooked into the unwritten rules the public is never going to be told about. 
Something you will NEVER read on NFL.com is the league has colluded to keep certain teams in the win columns year after year after year, but they will tell us so and so was suspended for [insert flimsy excuse here] and said player has to take one for the team, the team here being the league.   
Yup, when it comes to the matter of billions of dollars I am definitely one to believe in conspiracy theories because nothing makes a conspiracy theory more believable than a few billion bucks. You can have all the greatest morality in the world until someone comes along to wave a few billion dollars in your face. Then it goes right on out the window and means very little if anything. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 10:06 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: But it was unnecessary, and the fact that it was in a meaningless preseason game can only hurt Burfict.

How so? Hey got hit hard coming across the middle. It happens when playing football. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 04:55 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Another twist to this http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/29/alberto-riveron-vontaze-burfict-hit-violated-two-different-rules/

The new NFL senior vp of officiating said there were two rules in question. One was the hit to head and neck (which we all pretty much agree didn't happen). And the second was it was an unnecessary hit to the receiver in question, as the ball was thrown elsewhere. Doesnt matter on whether it came from the side or rear, but that the ball wasn't thrown to him.

Also per JimO's twitter, Marvin got a bit heated when asked about it. He clearly is pretty pissed. https://twitter.com/JimOwczarski/status/902607785401180164

I can't read twitter at work. What was said?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 10:36 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I can't read twitter at work. What was said?

So Jim can get the "hits"  Wink

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/08/29/bengals-head-coach-marvin-lewis-nfls-vontaze-burfict-ruling-ridiculous/613100001/
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
It's pretty obvious the league wants to change from the "keep your head on a swivel" approach in favor of player safety.
And I think for Burfict especially, he might need to change his approach to be more about pushing with his arms and wrapping up in bang-bang scenarios rather than hitting with his shoulder.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:17 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I believe that is called mutually assured destruction.

For it to work though, the threat would have to be made in private not in public at first. If the teams calls out and threatens the league, then the league backs down it validates everything and the NFL is screwed.

That threat has to happen in a private closed door meeting and has to feel sincere, and on top of it the Brown family has to be willing to give up millions of dollars if the league calls their bluff, they push forward and it causes major losses in revenue.

The only group that can make a play here....sponsors. If a company like P&G said, hey we are done buying ads during games if this crap continues, that would make a change. The league wouldn't risk losing that $$$

Much like one Sam Wyche did before the AFCCG.....glad to see Marvin get pissed....but he and Mike need to go off and threaten to call Vegas like good ol Sammy did.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 10:27 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: How so? Hey got hit hard coming across the middle. It happens when playing football. 

It USED to happen when playing football. Nowadays, it seems like any hard hit is going to result in a fine/suspension. Reminds me of Marvins comments after Mike Carey f***ed us during the 2006 Bucs game "what do you want him to do, cuddle him to the ground"?

11 years later we appear to have our answer: yes. Yes they do. F*** this joke of a league and especially the people who run it. I always thought the older football fans who saw games in the 60's and 70's were just whining for the sake of whining and simply hated any sort of change. But they were right. The game has changed, and not in a good way. 
Reply/Quote
If Burfict was a steeler then he could kill a man and the dead man would draw the flag and suspension.

NFL has it out for him it seems.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
i'm cautiously optimistic that the pump fake. will keep burfict from getting suspended.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 09:43 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: The arbitrator has full power the NFL has to accept whatever ruling is decided regardless. what could be happening the hit was legal but deemed unneccessary. which maybe could constitute a large fine but no suspension

This is what needs to happen for the league to save face.

But oh, it is the Bengals and nobody cares but us and a Packer fan. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 11:59 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: i'm cautiously optimistic that the pump fake. will keep burfict from getting suspended.

Not me. I think, at best, the NFL reduces the suspension from 5 to 3 or 2, but there's no way they're going to admit they made a mistake and completely remove the suspension.

Forgot that it was a 3rd party arbitor. Might actually be some good news.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 12:15 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Not me. I think, at best, the NFL reduces the suspension from 5 to 3 or 2, but there's no way they're going to admit they made a mistake and completely remove the suspension.

no they can just pass it as an official oversight. Still save face by deeming the play unnecessary and fine him 25k . I compare to the latest Ndomakan Suh incident. where it couldn't be proven unequivocally player had malicious intent.  Of course I was also optimistic that Tyler Boyd fumble week 2 would be overturned.
Reply/Quote