Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict to practice today
(10-29-2015, 12:20 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: Marvin Lewis does a morning appearance spot on XM radio every Thursday.  He spoke to this today and said that he's ready to practice, but was not expected to play for at least a week or two.

I have been guessing that he will return against Houston just because we have to play the Browns on a Thursday night.

(10-29-2015, 12:20 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: Also, Marvin also said that Ben would not come back if he wasn't completely healthy as there's way too much season left to risk him playing.  I agree with this as well.  If Ben is in, he will be 100% or damn close to it.  He's not going to be like an 80 year old man out there if he's in- he will be able to move.

This.  The wild card race is wide open.  Steelers are one of only 5 teams with a winning record in the AFC right now.  They are not crazy enough to panic over winning the division when all that matters is getting into the playoffs with a health Roethlisberger.  They would not rush him back if he was not ready.  Ben may be big and strong, but he is 33 with an extensive injury history.  The Steelers are not going to take any chances by bringing him back too soon.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2015, 12:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You have no idea if it would be reckless or not.  If he is cleared to practice then he should be able to play.  It is not like he has to learn a new scheme or anything like that.

I doubt we see him Sunday, but I am not going to say it would be "reckless" to play him.

It's reckless unless he's ready to play a full game. Roster spots on Sunday are precious. Big difference between 53 and 46. It's not like Tez would be out there covering kicks or on the punt team...
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2015, 12:29 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: It's reckless unless he's ready to play a full game.  Roster spots on Sunday are precious.  Big difference between 53 and 46.  It's not like Tez would be out there covering kicks or on the punt team...

Even when he is 100% healthy he will not be playing special teams.

So I would take Tez playing 50% of the snaps (around 30), over Dawson or Hawk playing zero.
Reply/Quote
Don't believe it his career is over Sarcasm
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2015, 12:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Even when he is 100% healthy he will not be playing special teams.

So I would take Tez playing 50% of the snaps (around 30), over Dawson or Hawk playing zero.

That wasn't the point. That was more about, if you dress him, he doesn't play anywhere else, so you need to expect him to be out there a chunk of time. I agree, I want him out there ASAP...but if there are any reservations about what he can do, rest him. You essentially could get away with him missing until week 10...
Reply/Quote
I doubt we see him against the Steelers, but would be pumped if we did! As long as we get him back soon, I'll be happy. We need him in there.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
I have said all along....Less worried about the surgery, more worried about concussions.
Reply/Quote
@ practice:

[Image: 21953472334_aa929ef4fa_b.jpg]
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2015, 12:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: I have said all along....Less worried about the surgery, more worried about concussions.

I also have concerns about the concussions, but he had a year to clear his head so to speak also which should help him immensely. He has also had a year for coaches to send him film of his tackling technique which one of the reasons he has gotten concussions.

As far as when to make him active, that is 100% on the coaching staff and I will respect their decision. Personally, I see no rush for a lot of reasons including once active, we have to cut someone. Each week we wait, then more likely (not a wish, but a reality) one of our guys is hurt and placed on IR. I would hate to cut someone, have them picked up by someone else and then the next week we have an open roster spot.

Last, the best news of all is the doctor (not our team doctor) cleared him. This way it was 100% out of the team's hands and impartial in every way.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
That's awesome.

Hopefully we're being as cautious as possible. The team is sitting at 6-0 no need to push him.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2015, 12:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: I have said all along....Less worried about the surgery, more worried about concussions.

On one hand it was alarming how easily he seemed to get concussed after his first one last year.  There were times he seemed to be groggy without taking any sort of hard shot to the head.

But on the other hand he played his entire college career and his first two seasons in the NFL without any serious concussion problems.

So I am hoping that his problems last year were just based on the fact that he never fully recovered from the first one.
Reply/Quote
So good to hear Burfict's nearing his return. I'm quite sure they'll figure out whether he's ready for Pittsburgh or not.

He's the missing piece that can elevate this D to another level. Can't wait to see him on the field.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2015, 01:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: He's the missing piece that can elevate this D to another level. 

In 2006 the Colts Bob Sanders only played in 4 regular season game. The Colts had the worst rush defense in the entire league giving up over 100 yards in every single game. 

Sanders returned for the postseason and the Colts had the #1 rush defense in the playoffs allowing only 73 rushing yards per game on their way to winning the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2015, 11:11 AM)bengals73 Wrote: Awesome!!  I'll bet Big Jen is crapping his pants now

Ironic you stated that. I have a dream where on a Nationally televised game, Pig Ben drops back, starts his "dancing assbag" routine, and then gets sandwiched at full speed between someone like Burfict and Maualuga.

He crumbles to the ground, and the steelers are forced to punt, but then the TV crews capture an image of Benderella jogging quickly to the sideline covering his behind with one arm.  His teammates try to help, but it is no use...the TV crews, the Bengals, and even some of the officials are dying laughing as the rapist has clearly shit himself all over his yellow pants. 

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2015, 11:55 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Suiting him up for Sunday would be a reckless decision. Give him a couple weeks of practice.

Not only would you have to boot someone from the active 46, but someone would get released.

More importantly, Burfict has to build up his muscle around his knees, his hamstrings, etc. to get in to "football shape", which he can really only do with full contact drills, cuts, etc. 

I am incredibly excited to have him practicing, but in the long run if this team can get this win I honestly believe they would be 9-0 heading to AZ on a short week.  At that point, he may be ready to play a decent number of snaps. 

Good luck, Vontaze!  We are all pulling for you!
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2015, 01:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: So good to hear Burfict's nearing his return. I'm quite sure they'll figure out whether he's ready for Pittsburgh or not.

He's the missing piece that can elevate this D to another level. Can't wait to see him on the field.

So true.  And I am hoping for the AZ game where the short week will only magnify how much he can impact.  I think the Bengals can be 9-0 heading to that game.  It gives me chills.

He is not just a missing piece of the puzzle, but you literally are replacing one of our worst players (sorry, Lamur) with a Pro Bowl talent.  Look at the difference Keuchley made for his team returning from a concussion.

For me, it is all about having him in the post season.  I'm so excited I can't wait.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2015, 01:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In 2006 the Colts Bob Sanders only played in 4 regular season game. The Colts had the worst rush defense in the entire league giving up over 100 yards in every single game. 

Sanders returned for the postseason and the Colts had the #1 rush defense in the playoffs allowing only 73 rushing yards per game on their way to winning the Super Bowl.

Yep,

Just like Geno makes the rest of the line 10% better. VB will make the other LBers like 10 % better. If he can return anywhere near form. I'm sure there will be some getting up to speed time.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2015, 01:28 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not only would you have to boot someone from the active 46, but someone would get released.

More importantly, Burfict has to build up his muscle around his knees, his hamstrings, etc. to get in to "football shape", which he can really only do with full contact drills, cuts, etc. 

I am incredibly excited to have him practicing, but in the long run if this team can get this win I honestly believe they would be 9-0 heading to AZ on a short week.  At that point, he may be ready to play a decent number of snaps. 

Good luck, Vontaze!  We are all pulling for you!

My definition of football shape and your must differ. He has been working with trainers for 6 months so it is very easy for me and likely their goal was to strengthen the muscles around his knees and hamstrings. If not, he could never do any type of running. It is my understanding he was doing straight ahead running for a very long time. They added cutting and other strength exercises I would assume once they were able to manage any soreness or swelling issues.

In this case, I think football shape really refers to football basics of tackling and shedding blocking as well as the mental aspect so he can play fast. But, maybe I am wrong. I went through a year long rehabilitation on my left knee as my ACL was shredded, my MCL torn as well as both meniscus. My therapy and then training started with strength because I really could not run or even attempt to jump at less than full strength of the muscles around my knee as well as the healing of the bones around my kneecap and I also needed 12 screws.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2015, 01:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In 2006 the Colts Bob Sanders only played in 4 regular season game. The Colts had the worst rush defense in the entire league giving up over 100 yards in every single game. 

Great reference Fred.  If that same kind of thing could happen with a Burfict return the sky is truly the limit for this team and they could when any game, anywhere, anytime.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2015, 01:24 PM)SHRacerX Wrote:  
Ironic you stated that. I have a dream where on a Nationally televised game, Pig Ben drops back, starts his "dancing assbag" routine, and then gets sandwiched at full speed between someone like Burfict and Maualuga.

He crumbles to the ground, and the steelers are forced to punt, but then the TV crews capture an image of Benderella jogging quickly to the sideline covering his behind with one arm.  His teammates try to help, but it is no use...the TV crews, the Bengals, and even some of the officials are dying laughing as the rapist has clearly shit himself all over his yellow pants. 

Hilarious
Reply/Quote