Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Burrow May Not Be Cleared For Preseason
Footballguys says Burrow might not be cleared for the preseason games.

Quote:Burrow had his appendix removed on July 26. Initial reports did not seem alarming, but observant local writers reported Burrow still had an intravenous (IV) line in his arm at a camp practice on August 1 – six days after his surgery.

It’s unusual to need IV antibiotics outside the hospital after appendix surgery. While there are multiple instances of NFL players returning to action within 14 days after having their appendix removed, Burrow's case is more complicated.

The two most likely surgical possibilities here include:

1 - Burrow had a ruptured appendix, and surgeons also needed to remove part of the intestine on either side of the appendix due to the severity of the rupture. This requires a larger incision and a period of IV antibiotics at home.

2 - Burrow had a simple appendectomy and developed an infection after surgery. That would require a drain placed through the skin to the site of infection and a period of IV antibiotics at home.

I think the first scenario is most likely. Burrow’s father described a “major surgery” and hinted it could be “weeks” before his son was ready to return. Head coach Zac Taylor said Burrow was day-to-day but refused to put a timetable on his return.

Let's hope it's nothing serious, which it's probably not, but I always fear the worst with our team.

Normally, I'd say who cares and Burrow doesn't need preseason, but I would have liked for him to get some live game action with his new line.

Let's hope Burrow makes a quick and full recovery!
Reply/Quote
Not ideal but Joe will be fine. I doubt he would have played more than a series or 2 anyway. I just hope he can get back to full speed practice before week 1. Practice time is much more important than preseason games in my opinion.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
No need for Joe to play at all this pre-season.
Reply/Quote
About the only thing he’s missing out on is getting his timing down with Hurst.

I assume he can already be working with Karras on snaps.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Granted he doesn’t need the games but we would like to see him practice. He was released from the next day which may mean the intestine wasn’t involved but he still may have needed an open incision due to it bursting

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
They spoke on this on the radio a couple days ago. Not time to panic yet, but after next week eyebrows will be raised. They pointed to his significant weight loss as an issue he'll have to work through to gain back some mass.

It's not ideal. But there is still time.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I don't want him to play any snaps in a preseason game.

You could just look at the guy and tell he wasn't healthy.

I would consider holding him out week 1, which happens to be a month from today, I want to be sure he is back to 100%. I wouldn't mind Brandon Allen beating trubisky to start the year
Reply/Quote
I'm beginning to think none of our locked in starters will play at all in pre season. This was probably the plan not to play Burrow before his injury/surgery. You set the total number of snaps Chase gets in pre season games at 1 i'm taking the under
Reply/Quote
I am getting a bit concerned now and a lot of the talking heads in the local media sense some concern from people inside the stadium as well.

Him missing reps is a big deal. Really don't want him to start the season with basically no training camp. I could care less about him playing in preseason games, but the camp reps are important.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 09:57 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I am getting a bit concerned now and a lot of the talking heads in the local media sense some concern from people inside the stadium as well.

Him missing reps is a big deal. Really don't want him to start the season with basically no training camp.

I guess that's what we get for being excited about our QB having a normal offseason
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 10:00 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I guess that's what we get for being excited about our QB having a normal offseason

Right? 

If he's back at it by the end of next week I'll sigh some relief. That will give him basically 2-3 weeks before for the first game. I just think a lot of people are taking this lightly that our QB could possibly miss the entire training camp.

Then throw him to the Steelers week one with that pass rush/defense, a new offensive line, and (by all reports) a skinnier/weaker Joey Burrow? Sheeeesh. Recipe for disaster.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Pre season games I really don't care about, but hoping Joe is healthy enough to get some work in practice.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/joe-burrows-dad-says-bengals-star-qb-could-still-be-out-a-few-more-weeks-following-surprising-appendectomy/

Article is a few days old, but his dad says he is more week to week than day to day.
Reply/Quote
By all accounts there was some sort of setback. How bad, we just don't know.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Its obvious they wanted to give him at least the 4 full weeks and his surgery was right at the start of training camp. I believe next week will be the 4th week. I'm guessing he will start practicing right before the last pre-season game but not play then have 3 solid weeks of practice before the season opener.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
This is all very concerning. Everyone was relieved it was just an appendix removal. Now we hear "major surgery," might not be able to practice until "beginning of September," week-to-week more than day-to-day, might have had some intestines removed, might have developed an infection.

Appendicitis and removal of the appendix sounded so uneventful and commonplace. Now, it seems like the surgery was anything but.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 10:52 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I just saw something that said he was throwing the ball around, which I know means little about being ready to play, especially since it was his knee that was hurt, but it’s a positive step.

He also may not be in perfect form, but throwing usually involves planting and stepping, which is good news for his knee.

I just pray that he doesn’t rush it and push it before it’s ready.

Thought it was his appendix surgery keeping him out, did I miss something about a new knee injury ? 

Hoping not

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
As long as he doesn't miss any regular season game, I don't care. Now, he can't just miss the entire training camp. At this point it's obvious that his appendicitis was more serious than previously thought. Even though we're still one month away from playing against the Steelers, I'm not sure Joe will be 100% healthy.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 08:16 AM)pally Wrote: Granted he doesn’t need the games but we would like to see him practice. 

I assume they mean he will not be cleared for contact but could return to practice.  And just missing the preseason games won't hurt Joe at all.

If he had developed some sort of infection after the surgery I don't think we would have seen him out in the cart.  My completely un-professional opinion is that the appendix was already seeping (ruptured) when he had the surgery.  That would require them to keep him on antibiotics to clean all that up.

No matter how it plays out it is a minor speed bump that will not ruin his career or even this season.
Reply/Quote
I just assume they're coming up with excuses. They don't want him to play anyway. I get how he needs to connect with his new line, but his new line need to connect with themselves first. Likewise, I think some are overreacting to Jimmy using the word "major". I defy you to find a parent whose kid just had a tube pulled out of their core and not call it major lol. For those saying it burst, let me assuage your fears. If it had burst he would still be in the hospital prepping for another surgery. They certainly wouldn't have allowed him to fly across the country so he could attend football practice.
Reply/Quote