Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Burrow Proved Himself
(09-20-2021, 04:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You mean a 10 year vet looked better than a guy playing in his 12th game? Hard to believe…

You mean the 10 year vet who 95% of Bengals fans rag on for not winning a play off game.  

The 95% of Bengal fans who say Dalton was basically a stiff and should've been replaced.  

Bengal fans don't realize how good they had it with Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis. 

I mean we are 0-2 against Dalton now so maybe our fan base will realize when we play against him again that Daltons a good QB 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He is. Dalton would be absolutely atrocious if he was still here. Like when he got benched for Ryan Finley.

That doesn’t mean Burrow isn’t going to have some off games. This was probably his 3rd now (along with Baltimore & Pittsburgh last year). We’ll see how he responds.

Wait, so it isn’t surprising that a 10 year vet outplayed a guy with 12 games even though the young guy is better than the vet?

Gotcha. Makes a ton of sense.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:20 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: To really ruffle some feathers, Andy Dalton outplayed Joe Burrow.

Hell, Dalton outplayed Burrow and Fields...the two guys two different fanbases were demanding replace him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hell, Dalton outplayed Burrow and Fields...the two guys two different fanbases were demanding replace him.

I believe that if Dalton didn’t get hurt this game may have been more like 34-17. Good Andy showed up.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:48 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I believe that if Dalton didn’t get hurt this game may have been more like 34-17. Good Andy showed up.

Hey, it's a 1pm regular season game after a prime time flop...it was almost a given!
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hell, Dalton outplayed Burrow and Fields...the two guys two different fanbases were demanding replace him.

Regular season games at 1 PM on Sundays against non-divisional opponents; it's when Andy does his best work
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:46 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Wait, so it isn’t surprising that a 10 year vet outplayed a guy with 12 games even though the young guy is better than the vet?

Gotcha. Makes a ton of sense.

What don’t you get here? Overall, Joe Burrow is already a better QB than Andy Dalton (imo). Overall. That doesn’t mean Burrow is going to be better every single week, or that he won’t make some mistakes that Dalton as a vet probably wouldn’t.

But I bet you all 32 coaches in the league would start Burrow over Dalton.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 09:52 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’ve noticed a lot of Bengals fans like Burrow so much that we are very soft on him sometimes. It’s okay to be critical of Burrow and still believe in his ability going forward. The reason that Cincinnati lost yesterday is because of Burrow. You can blame playcalling but Burrow threw those two awful interceptions. You can blame the coaches all you want but players play the game and Burrow made two backbreaking mistakes. The third interception was a combination of Burrow and OL but I’d say more OL than Burrow.

All of this okay. He is still young and coming off of a tough injury. He will learn and I still believe in the guy. He also almost brought us back yesterday, coupled with the defense. However, they lost because of him.

I'd agree Goose, but Mixon was the one that whiffed on the block that led to INT #3.

What I DID like was the never say die attitude of the entire team, and especially Burrow. Three straight picks, one a pick six, then come right back and score two straight times in a hurry? Gotta like that aspect.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:01 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’m not denying that, but players play the game. Zac didn’t cause Burrow to throw those interceptions. The coaches certainly share blame, I am no fan of this coaching staff, but what happens on the field is all the players.

Yeah, those two picks were the first times I've ever seen him stare down receivers....and they made him pay for it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Not sure why people even rag on Dalton anymore. We should all appreciate what he did and how promising the start to his career was given we haven't seen that in Joe's first two years, and we may not ever see 5 straight playoff runs again.

Time to give credit where credit is due. So far this era hasn't been better then the Dalton/Green era. Even with the disappointments.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:46 PM)TJ528 Wrote: You mean the 10 year vet who 95% of Bengals fans rag on for not winning a play off game.  

The 95% of Bengal fans who say Dalton was basically a stiff and should've been replaced.  

Bengal fans don't realize how good they had it with Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis. 

I mean we are 0-2 against Dalton now so maybe our fan base will realize when we play against him again that Daltons a good QB 

Um, I guess it depends what you're striving for.  If you're striving for mediocrity with a chance to win the division every few years, then yeah I guess those were the "good ol' days."  For those who want the Bengals to win a championship, then it's quite clear neither Marvin Lewis or Zac Taylor can do that.  

At this point, I only hope Burrow can make it through this season relatively healthy and next season he's provided with coaching that warrants his skill set.  Two games into this season, he's 3rd in sacks, 8th in times pressured and tied for 8th worst pocket time and most of that can be attributed to a poor offensive line (shocker), missed assignments and poor playcalling which falls on the coach.  
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 03:16 AM)JumboTron Wrote: I admit, after his third interception I was ready to put my TV through my window, yet just five minutes later I saw it.  A finely placed post route to Chase.  Then a surgical strike to Huggins.  

Burrow ate shit yet rebounded with two quick TD throws.  He didn't wilt, or act like he was dinged up to get out of having to go back out there.  He stepped up even though he knew as much as anyone that this may be his worst performance of his life.

I really believe, no matter how we feel now, that this past Sunday (9/19) will be a defining moment in the career of Joe Burrow.

Cant buy it, it was a tight game until Burrow had 3 straight ints, we lost because of that so the idea  that he proved himself after with 2 tds  means little besides  if it was not for our defense with a int to give them a short field dont we score 2 tds to make it look close..
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:18 PM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: Um, I guess it depends what you're striving for.  If you're striving for mediocrity with a chance to win the division every few years, then yeah I guess those were the "good ol' days."  For those who want the Bengals to win a championship, then it's quite clear neither Marvin Lewis or Zac Taylor can do that.  

At this point, I only hope Burrow can make it through this season relatively healthy and next season he's provided with coaching that warrants his skill set.  Two games into this season, he's 3rd in sacks, 8th in times pressured and tied for 8th worst pocket time and most of that can be attributed to a poor offensive line (shocker), missed assignments and poor playcalling which falls on the coach.  

Dalton wouldn't be getting this kind of "proven himself" recognition with a 3-8-1 record. And I think that is the point. Whatever you feel about the Marvin/Dalton/Green era, it was better then what we are getting and may ever get again. 

I think many fans are "new" Marvin era fans. So they don't recognize what we are seeing. They think there's a shot at winning seasons and Superbowls under MB's leadership. What they don't realize and what those who were fans before Marvin do, is THIS is the MB Bengals. Marvin was the outlier. What we see is what we will get going forward and have gotten outside that 17 year Marvin stretch.  

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:24 PM)jj22 Wrote: Dalton wouldn't be getting this kind of "proven himself" recognition with a 3-8-1 record. And I think that is the point. Whatever you feel about the Marvin/Dalton/Green era, it was better then what we are getting and may ever get again. 

I think many fans are "new" Marvin era fans. So they don't recognize what we are seeing. They think there's a shot at winning seasons and Superbowls under MB's leadership. What they don't realize and what those who were fans before Marvin do, is THIS is the MB Bengals. Marvin was the outlier. What we see is what we will get going forward and have gotten outside that 17 year Marvin stretch.  

Hey, at least we beat “#Team Zimmer” Wink

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:50 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I'd agree Goose, but Mixon was the one that whiffed on the block that led to INT #3.

What I DID like was the never say die attitude of the entire team, and especially Burrow. Three straight picks, one a pick six, then come right back and score two straight times in a hurry? Gotta like that aspect.

Was it Mixon? I haven’t gone back and watched it but that wouldn’t surprise me. Our backs have had a tough time in pass pro.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:18 PM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: Um, I guess it depends what you're striving for.  If you're striving for mediocrity with a chance to win the division every few years, then yeah I guess those were the "good ol' days."  For those who want the Bengals to win a championship, then it's quite clear neither Marvin Lewis or Zac Taylor can do that.  

I hear ya, but the issue is that as mediocre as Marvin was his .518 winning percentage is still leaps and bounds higher than the winning percentages of the other 4 head coaches hired in the Mike Brown era (.268, .350, .267, .221).  Toss in the stories of Tom Coughlin and Bill Cowher not wanting to take the job here, and it's a grim picture.

Yes, we should have moved on from Marvin, but going directly back to the 90s has been a drag.

Let's take a quick mathematical look at this and come up with the average season record we could expect for each coach:

Shula = 4.29 = 4-12
Coslet = 5.6 = 6-10
LeBeau = 4.27 = 4-12
Lewis = 8.29 = 8-8
Taylor = 3.54 = 4-12 (just barely, though it's hard to justify rounding up for a guy who loses so many close calls)
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 06:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I hear ya, but the issue is that as mediocre as Marvin was his .518 winning percentage is still leaps and bounds higher than the winning percentages of the other 4 head coaches hired in the Mike Brown era (.268, .350, .267, .221).  Toss in the stories of Tom Coughlin and Bill Cowher not wanting to take the job here, and it's a grim picture.

Yes, we should have moved on from Marvin, but going directly back to the 90s has been a drag.

Let's take a quick mathematical look at this and come up with the average season record we could expect for each coach:

Shula = 4.29 = 4-12
Coslet = 5.6 = 6-10
LeBeau = 4.27 = 4-12
Lewis = 8.29 = 8-8
Taylor = 3.54 = 4-12 (just barely, though it's hard to justify rounding up for a guy who loses so many close calls)

4-13, he gets to lose an extra game a year lol
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:41 PM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: If we're going to say Chase bailed out Burrow on the 1 TD, then should really only say Burrow had 2 INTS since the third pick was caused by a missed assignment by Mixon?  

Yes, that is what we would have to say. The Chase TD was put where Chase wanted it period.

If it was out in front maybe Chase would of got the TD or maybe he wouldn't. Bottom line Burrow hit Chase for another long TD.

Something that was NOT happening last year much at all.

I do agree with Bfine though, Burrow played bad, those first 2 interceptions were unacceptable. Burrow could of audibled out of 
those plays or threw the ball away. Not just Zac's fault for scheme. Burrow gets to pick between the plays that Zac, Brian and him
all pick together. If Burrow wants to add some plays he is comfortable with he can I am sure. 

Those first 2 picks weren't on the OL, he had time.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:24 PM)jj22 Wrote: Dalton wouldn't be getting this kind of "proven himself" recognition with a 3-8-1 record. And I think that is the point. Whatever you feel about the Marvin/Dalton/Green era, it was better then what we are getting and may ever get again. 

It's the main reason I was never screaming for Marvin's head all those years. Even when it was DEFINITELY time to move on I was reluctant.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 09:26 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Joe Burrow is everything you need to win in a QB. He's got confidence, accuracy, mobility (or, at least, he did before his injury. He was a little statuesque yesterday), vision and intelligence.

If he could gain some consistency on his deep ball, he'd be the perfect QB, imo.

Hopefully, this is a turning point in his career as you said.

all he needs is an offense line.......
Reply/Quote