Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Burrow Quote
(03-05-2020, 01:11 PM)jason Wrote: That was the one I was referring too.

I was watching that game in a Steelers bar in Mechanicsburg, PA.... By that time the banter had started with the locals. It was the first time they'd seen AJ Green. I remember yelling "No!!!" when that ball left Dalton's hand.... Then yelling "Yes!!!" moments later.

They couldn't believe he went and got that ball.

That's when my Dad and I started comparing AJ to Randy Moss. It's a shame we didn't see more of that.

AJ had elite ability in that department.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 12:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Dalton threw up a ton of jump balls to AJ Green in their rookie season (and it was quite successful). Then it suddenly stopped. I remember a lot of talk on the boards about it. I think the FO (or maybe Marvin) were worried about AJ Green getting injured on those. Either way, I doubt Andy wasn't making those throws "cuz he wuz skerred". He was the good soldier type and did what he was told to do.

It's possible Zac Taylor will give the QB more freedom and lob some up...but AJ Green was hurt last season, so we never got the chance to see.

(03-05-2020, 12:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There are a lot of "go up and get it" 50/50 balls in AJ Green's rookie highlights, all from Dalton.

IIRC, he got dinged up on one against the steelers and missed the 2nd half of that game, and the following game against the Ravens.

Then suddenly the jump balls stopped...for the most part.

(03-05-2020, 01:11 PM)jason Wrote: That was the one I was referring too.

I was watching that game in a Steelers bar in Mechanicsburg, PA.... By that time the banter had started with the locals. It was the first time they'd seen AJ Green. I remember yelling "No!!!" when that ball left Dalton's hand.... Then yelling "Yes!!!" moments later.

They couldn't believe he went and got that ball.

AJ sure has some all time highlights. Wish we could see some more with Burrow throwing to him. The injuries have held him 
back from being one of the best ever. He always played WAY faster than his forty, he would beat about anyone deep and the 
way he would just snatch the ball out of the air was extremely rare. Hope he still has this cause I hate speaking in the past 
tense with him.

BTW, I would like to see more of these balls thrown to Auden Tate in the end zone.

Thought it was a terrible shame not giving this guy more shots in the red zone last year. One of my many complaints about
Zac's playcalling and scheme. We need to use the RB's and TE's more in the passing game and use our bigs more in the RZ.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 03:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: AJ sure has some all time highlights. Wish we could see some more with Burrow throwing to him. The injuries have held him 
back from being one of the best ever. He always played WAY faster than his forty, he would beat about anyone deep and the 
way he would just snatch the ball out of the air was extremely rare. Hope he still has this cause I hate speaking in the past 
tense with him.

BTW, I would like to see more of these balls thrown to Auden Tate in the end zone.

Thought it was a terrible shame not giving this guy more shots in the red zone last year. One of my many complaints about
Zac's playcalling and scheme. We need to use the RB's and TE's more in the passing game and use our bigs more in the RZ.

Joe's set up kinda nicely for being drafted to a 2-14 team. Even if AJ Green is 80% of what he was, he's still better than most. Tyler Boyd flourishes as a WR2, and Auden Tate erases bad throws... Then there's Mixon. Anything we get from Ross is gravy.

Of course health is key.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 03:41 PM)jason Wrote: Joe's set up kinda nicely for being drafted to a 2-14 team. Even if AJ Green is 80% of what he was, he's still better than most. Tyler Boyd flourishes as a WR2, and Auden Tate erases bad throws... Then there's Mixon. Anything we get from Ross is gravy.

Of course health is key.

You know it Jason. Health is key and is my only concern on Offense besides the O-line, if we can stay relatively healthy and 
improve on the O-line Burrow could have a fine rookie season here. This isn't the Browns where QB's go to die, this is the 
Bengals where rookie QB's can go to the Playoffs in their first NFL season as a certain 2nd round pick did with AJ Green.

I love that Burrow has already been working with Ross, really hoping Ross can stay healthy for once. Boyd is as solid of a 
#2 WR as their is in the NFL, Tate snatches the ball out of the air and goes up for the ball like AJ. Mixon is a stud, he just 
needs to finish and get in the end zone.

What has me the most excited is the way Burrow uses the RB's in the passing game so much and we have 2, maybe 3 
great pass catching RB's in Mixon, Gio and either Traveon or Rodney. It would make it so much easier on everyone if we 
used the RB's and TE's more in the passing game. Keeps the wear and tear off our WR's and opens up the entire Offense.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 03:41 PM)jason Wrote: Joe's set up kinda nicely for being drafted to a 2-14 team. Even if AJ Green is 80% of what he was, he's still better than most. Tyler Boyd flourishes as a WR2, and Auden Tate erases bad throws... Then there's Mixon. Anything we get from Ross is gravy.

Of course health is key.
WhoDey2 I agree with everything you say. But, I'd like to expound on the bolded. Joe Burrow with his accuracy and ability to "throw receivers open" means we should see Ross' 3rd and 4th gears a lot this year ThumbsUp  
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 02:08 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 I agree with everything you say. But, I'd like to expound on the bolded. Joe Burrow with his accuracy and ability to "throw receivers open" means we should see Ross' 3rd and 4th gears a lot this year ThumbsUp   

I suspect we will see one or two of those famous Joe Burrow Death Stares heading Ross's way when he drops balls that should be easy touchdowns.  "Nice Guy Andy" is not here anymore......Hopefully, that will cure JR....
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 12:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There are a lot of "go up and get it" 50/50 balls in AJ Green's rookie highlights, all from Dalton.

IIRC, he got dinged up on one against the Steelers and missed the 2nd half of that game, and the following game against the Ravens.

Then suddenly the jump balls stopped...for the most part.

There ya go again with the "dinged" stuff. "Dinged" in Bengalspeak is the exact equivalent of multiple amputations. Injured, hurt or temporarily disabled is acceptable, but "dinged" should be struck from our collective memories..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
our receivers get no separation.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 06:20 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am amazed what I am hearing about how the analysts are poking holes in his game.  I see a guy that has the vision of a Brady, the accuracy of a Brees, and the toughness of a Kurt Warner.  es, I know the expectations will be sky high for him, as they were for Palmer.  I just don't see Burrow being anything but outstanding here in every way.  I am beyond excited to see him here.  

Right there with you.  The ONLY concern for me on Burrow is his arm strength.  It's middle of the road for an NFL starter.  It will be interesting to see if it gets stronger now that he is in the NFL and will train full time.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 04:45 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Right there with you.  The ONLY concern for me on Burrow is his arm strength.  It's middle of the road for an NFL starter.  It will be interesting to see if it gets stronger now that he is in the NFL and will train full time.

Some of the best QB’s of all time didn’t have big arms. His is more than adequate. Doesn’t worry me a bit.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 04:45 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Right there with you.  The ONLY concern for me on Burrow is his arm strength.  It's middle of the road for an NFL starter.  It will be interesting to see if it gets stronger now that he is in the NFL and will train full time.

This was the concern with Drew Brees.

(03-07-2020, 04:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Some of the best QB’s of all time didn’t have big arms. His is more than adequate. Doesn’t worry me a bit.

Same.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 04:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This was the concern with Drew Brees.

Same.
Yeah. Brees may not be able to throw 60 yard bombs, but he can accurately throw 30-40 yard passes all day. Plus how often do you really need to throw 60 yards anyways.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 04:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Some of the best QB’s of all time didn’t have big arms. His is more than adequate. Doesn’t worry me a bit.

Yeah... Remember that cannon on JaMarcus Russell?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 06:55 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah... Remember that cannon on JaMarcus Russell?

Yeah, give me Tom Brady or Drew Brees any day over JaMarcus Russell or Jay Cutler.

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 10:03 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I suspect we will see one or two of those famous Joe Burrow Death Stares heading Ross's way when he drops balls that should be easy touchdowns.  "Nice Guy Andy" is not here anymore......Hopefully, that will cure JR....

WhoDey2
                    Ya know, I would think so as well. In fact, I eluded to Burrow being a leader and his legendary death stare at receivers coming in and adding a new dimension to the offense. 

Apparently though, I was wrong. I was flamed by many posters on this board. Joe Burrow is not allowed to come to this team and bring his strong leadership with him. He will be a rookie. Apparently rookies can't look veteran's in their eyes. They must keep their heads down and carry equipment and water bottles.

In fact, we won't be able to see Burrow's leadership abilities for several years or until he wins some playoff games / Super Bowls. He has to "earn his respect" before being allowed to lead in the NFL.

Who knew...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 01:05 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2
                    Ya know, I would think so as well. In fact, I eluded to Burrow being a leader and his legendary death stare at receivers coming in and adding a new dimension to the offense. 

Apparently though, I was wrong. I was flamed by many posters on this board. Joe Burrow is not allowed to come to this team and bring his strong leadership with him. He will be a rookie. Apparently rookies can't look veteran's in their eyes. They must keep their heads down and carry equipment and water bottles.

In fact, we won't be able to see Burrow's leadership abilities for several years or until he wins some playoff games / Super Bowls. He has to "earn his respect" before being allowed to lead in the NFL.

Who knew...

I think it is a little different with a #1 overall pick, this will be HIS team as soon as he is drafted.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 01:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think it is a little different with a #1 overall pick, this will be HIS team as soon as he is drafted.

Yep and being the QB of a team that's averaged like 5 wins the last 4 years, we need a leader who's got some fire.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 01:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep and being the QB of a team that's averaged like 5 wins the last 4 years, we need a leader who's got some fire.

We've only had one season in the past four with under 6 wins, so that's a bit misleading.

Also, a lot of games, especially in '16 and '17, were lost by under 7 points.

I do agree, though, that we need a leader with emotion and fire.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 02:12 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: We've only had one season in the past four with under 6 wins, so that's a bit misleading.

Also, a lot of games, especially in '16 and '17, were lost by under 7 points.

I do agree, though, that we need a leader with emotion and fire.

ThumbsUp

There aren't many blowouts in the NFL, so that point is kinda moot. Having a 14 loss season will drop that average real quick too.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 01:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think it is a little different with a #1 overall pick, this will be HIS team as soon as he is drafted.
I agree Nate. I was just passing on about what I got flamed for.

However, personally, I believe Burrow comes in here and immediately makes this "rudderless boat" his...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

Reply/Quote