Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow/Young
This whole Finley thing was an experiment during a lost season just for the coaches to see what they had in Finley. Dalton was, and still is the man under center for the Bengals....and will STILL be the man under center next year. Dalton is such that he's good enough not to have to draft a QB to replace him, but not really they type to take Cincy to new heights......and with the owner we have....I've now doubt Dalton will be the starting QB next season. The Bengals will take Chase Young with the first pick.....which wouldn't be a bad choice. Reason being is that I don't see Cincy really improving such during the off season to not be one of those team with a top pick next year. That being the case I would take Fields from Ohio State as the future of the franchise. The QB position, unless you're just an elite passer, has turned into a wildcat QB position where you need a QB that can pass but can also scramble and run, both of with Fields can do. Young to Cincy with the first pick in the draft.
Reply/Quote
We're going to play a last place schedule last year so we should win some games. How do you ensure that we land Fields or Lawrence?
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:39 AM)swilson3828 Wrote: This whole Finley thing was an experiment during a lost season just for the coaches to see what they had in Finley.  Dalton was, and still is the man under center for the Bengals....and will STILL be the man under center next year.  Dalton is such that he's good enough not to have to draft a QB to replace him, but not really they type to take Cincy to new heights......and with the owner we have....I've now doubt Dalton will be the starting QB next season.  The Bengals will take Chase Young with the first pick.....which wouldn't be a bad choice.  Reason being is that I don't see Cincy really improving such during the off season to not be one of those team with a top pick next year. That being the case I would take Fields from Ohio State as the future of the franchise.  The QB position, unless you're just an elite passer, has turned into a wildcat QB position where you need a QB that can pass but can also scramble and run, both of with Fields can do.  Young to Cincy with the first pick in the draft.

The answer to which guy you draft is obvious, at least in my opinion, if the Bengals agree with your statement in bold. If they feel that way as well, and they think Burrow is the real deal...I don't see how that's not the choice, assuming they have that choice.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:49 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: The answer to which guy you draft is obvious, at least in my opinion, if the Bengals agree with your statement in bold. If they feel that way as well, and they think Burrow is the real deal...I don't see how that's not the choice, assuming they have that choice.

Yep. You have to go with Burrow.

Honestly, the way this franchise is ran...landing an elite QB is the only possible route to long-term success. I just doubt Taylor will be a great coach. So that leaves landing that QB.

Burrow has some personality traits that make me think he despises losing. That would be an interesting dynamic here.
Reply/Quote
I'm all for taking Chase Young.

In my lifetime only 2 Bengals QBs have taken the team anywhere. They both had really good rosters around them. Chase Young is a monster, and we need monsters on this roster. Joe Burrow was called girly arm by the man who recruited him, and didn't have the stones to compete with JT Barrett and Dwayne Haskins for a starting spot. I get it; he's having a great season this one year, but Texas A&M isn't on the Bengals schedule next year. He's not gonna do anything here that Carson Palmer or Andy Dalton didn't do.

Gimme the wrecking machine.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
re: Chase Young - I know he's special and he's likely overrated due to being from OSU on this board...but I'll look past that.

We have Dunlap, Hubbard, and Lawson. How do you use Young and still get Hubbard, Dunlap, and Lawson on the field? So you take Young and likely take Lawson off the field? I guess you could move Hubbard inside like they did as a rookie...but he struggled there.

I know you need to rest guys, but it just seems like DE isn't a critical need.

LB, OL, starting TE, QB, and maybe a Safety that can cover is what I'd put our needs at.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:52 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. You have to go with Burrow.

Honestly, the way this franchise is ran...landing an elite QB is the only possible route to long-term success. I just doubt Taylor will be a great coach. So that leaves landing that QB.

Burrow has some personality traits that make me think he despises losing. That would be an interesting dynamic here.

You think anybody on the Bengals doesn't like losing?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: re: Chase Young - I know he's special and he's likely overrated due to being from OSU on this board...but I'll look past that.

We have Dunlap, Hubbard, and Lawson. How do you use Young and still get Hubbard, Dunlap, and Lawson on the field? So you take Young and likely take Lawson off the field? I guess you could move Hubbard inside like they did as a rookie...but he struggled there.

I know you need to rest guys, but it just seems like DE isn't a critical need.

LB, OL, starting TE, QB, and maybe a Safety that can cover is what I'd put our needs at.

You get rid of the highest paid one of those guys for another pick... That's how.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:39 AM)swilson3828 Wrote: This whole Finley thing was an experiment during a lost season just for the coaches to see what they had in Finley.  Dalton was, and still is the man under center for the Bengals....and will STILL be the man under center next year.  Dalton is such that he's good enough not to have to draft a QB to replace him, but not really they type to take Cincy to new heights......and with the owner we have....I've now doubt Dalton will be the starting QB next season.  The Bengals will take Chase Young with the first pick.....which wouldn't be a bad choice.  Reason being is that I don't see Cincy really improving such during the off season to not be one of those team with a top pick next year. That being the case I would take Fields from Ohio State as the future of the franchise.  The QB position, unless you're just an elite passer, has turned into a wildcat QB position where you need a QB that can pass but can also scramble and run, both of with Fields can do.  Young to Cincy with the first pick in the draft.

Its hard to say what the FO will do but I think the low attendance at PBS will factor into the decision.  The Bengals are a couple of years away from being competitive and one way to boost excitement in this team is with a new young QB. 

There is no way to determine what the 2021 draft will look like so guessing Fields or Lawrence  will be or pick is unrealistic. There is no Guarantee  either will come out then. Luck came back when he would have been no.1 pick after his JR year. Hebert  came back last year when he would be a top 5 pick. They could also get hurt like Tua. We should not try and make our pick this year thinking we could get a certain player in 2021.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:56 AM)jason Wrote: I'm all for taking Chase Young.

In my lifetime only 2 Bengals QBs have taken the team anywhere. They both had really good rosters around them. Chase Young is a monster, and we need monsters on this roster. Joe Burrow was called girly arm by the man who recruited him, and didn't have the stones to compete with JT Barrett and Dwayne Haskins for a starting spot. I get it; he's having a great season this one year, but Texas A&M isn't on the Bengals schedule next year. He's not gonna do anything here that Carson Palmer or Andy Dalton didn't do.

Gimme the wrecking machine.

So when, and how, do you address QB. Do you kick the can down the road yet another season and let Andy start next year, just delaying the inevitable? Do you draft a QB not named Burrow...of who none are perfect or guaranteed either? I mean it's easy to just say 'no Burrow' but then what? What's the plan at QB and when do you get around to addressing it?

You also say that Burrow won't be able to do anything that Palmer or Dalton couldn't do. Well, couldn't the same case be made for Young (who I really like BTW)? What's he gonna do that Dunlap or Geno couldn't do, according to that reasoning? 
Reply/Quote
To me it's either Burrow or trade the pick. Also I would keep an eye out on Tua medical as well.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:52 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. You have to go with Burrow.

Nah, no QB is worth taking without a line to protect him and QBs coming out of college are never a sure thing. I'd say trade down, get some picks for OL and LB, and maybe draft Throwin' Samoan II if you get a chance.
Reply/Quote
Trade down
Draft linemen, LBs and a S
If Dalton is as bad as you guys say, he'll drag the team down again and then you can have Lawrence but on a much better team in 2021 than a rookie walking into this mess in 2020. It's like when #1 pick Wilkinson was looked at as the leader and savior as a 20 year old kid.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 01:19 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: So when, and how, do you address QB. Do you kick the can down the road yet another season and let Andy start next year, just delaying the inevitable? Do you draft a QB not named Burrow...of who none are perfect or guaranteed either? I mean it's easy to just say 'no Burrow' but then what? What's the plan at QB and when do you get around to addressing it?

You also say that Burrow won't be able to do anything that Palmer or Dalton couldn't do. Well, couldn't the same case be made for Young (who I really like BTW)? What's he gonna do that Dunlap or Geno couldn't do, according to that reasoning? 

I dunno... I'm glad it's not my job to figure that out. But I do know that it has seemed that lately the best QB in the most recent drafts havent turned out to be the first one taken. They also haven't been first overall.

I know for a fact that the only success (however modest it may be) the Bengals have had in the last decade was spring boarded by them taking a "can't miss" prospect early in the draft, and picking a pretty good QB prospect later. They can do that again this year... AND in theory... Have the previous two I alluded to still on the roster next year.

I think we have a lot of holes to fill on the roster, and taking the most highly regarded talent in this draft will do a lot of good. Lord knows Mike Brown ain't gonna overpay a legit FA to come here.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the Ravens, Texans, Patriots, Packers, Saints, 49ers, Chiefs and Seahawks didn't draft the top rated QB in the draft. The Lions, Falcons, Panthers, Colts, Browns, Bears, and Bucs all did.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 01:46 AM)jason Wrote: I dunno... I'm glad it's not my job to figure that out. But I do know that it has seemed that lately the best QB in the most recent drafts havent turned out to be the first one taken. They also haven't been first overall.

I know for a fact that the only success (however modest it may be) the Bengals have had in the last decade was spring boarded by them taking a "can't miss" prospect early in the draft, and picking a pretty good QB prospect later. They can do that again this year... AND in theory... Have the previous two I alluded to still on the roster next year.

I think we have a lot of holes to fill on the roster, and taking the most highly regarded talent in this draft will do a lot of good. Lord knows Mike Brown ain't gonna overpay a legit FA to come here.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the Ravens, Texans, Patriots, Packers, Saints, 49ers, Chiefs and Seahawks didn't draft the top rated QB in the draft. The Lions, Falcons, Panthers, Colts, Browns, Bears, and Bucs all did.

Yeah, definitely a lot of things to be fixed on this team. I'm not opposed to taking Young or someone else that would help address an area of need right away. I've just always felt that if you have the chance to potentially upgrade at QB, you take it, and I think this draft is that chance. That really isn't even about Andy so much either. I just think we need new blood there after 9 years. Whether they grab Burrow or someone else, I just think it's time. 

You're right, there are going to be some tough decisions and I'm with you..glad I'm not making them. The problem is, I don't have much confidence is this front office making them either.  Whatever 
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:47 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We're going to play a last place schedule last year so we should win some games. How do you ensure that we land Fields or Lawrence?

Magic!!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:58 AM)jason Wrote: You think anybody on the Bengals doesn't like losing?

Not enough to change their M.O., which hasn't worked in producing one single playoff win since Pumpkin head took total control of the team and has only given them 7 winning seasons in that same 3 decades. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 01:19 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Well, couldn't the same case be made for Young (who I really like BTW)? What's he gonna do that Dunlap or Geno couldn't do, according to that reasoning? 

NO!!! Because, Andy Dalton excuses!!!!!11!!!!!1!!1

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 01:32 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Trade down
Draft linemen, LBs and a S
If Dalton is as bad as you guys say, he'll drag the team down again and then you can have Lawrence but on a much better team in 2021 than a rookie walking into this mess in 2020. It's like when #1 pick Wilkinson was looked at as the leader and savior as a 20 year old kid.

If you improve the team around Dalton, they're back to a .500 squad and you get no shot at a #1OA rated QB in future drafts. 

C'mon man, this isn't rocket surgery. jeez

Walls...i talk to them...

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 01:46 AM)jason Wrote: I dunno... I'm glad it's not my job to figure that out. But I do know that it has seemed that lately the best QB in the most recent drafts havent turned out to be the first one taken. They also haven't been first overall.

I'll guess you don't read the draft forum. Either that or...walls...

(11-29-2019, 12:45 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: #1OA drafted QBs: 24 total since 1970, 22 qualify @ 2 full years in NFL. 

Playoffs; Goff, Luck, Newton, Stafford, Smith, EManning, Palmer, Vick, PManning, Bledsoe, George, Aikman, Testeverde, Elway, Bartkowski, Plunkett, Bradshaw. (17) 77%

SBs; Goff, Newton, EManning, PManning, Bledsoe, Aikman, Elway, Plunkett, Bradshaw. (9) 41%
SB winner; EManning, PManning, Aikman, Elway, Plunkett, Bradshaw. (6) 27%
Multiple SB winner; EManning, PManning, Aikman, Elway, Plunkett, Bradshaw. (6) 27%

HoF; PManning (lock), Aikman, Elway, Bradshaw. (4) 18%

Never made playoffs; Winston, Bradford, Russell, Carr, Couch. (5) 23%

Busts; Russell (1) 5%

There are almost as many HoFers as there are guys that never made the playoffs.  Mellow

Reply/Quote