Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow/Young
(12-15-2019, 07:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, after watching the pass rush have a good day, and Andy bumbling away the rest of the team's efforts with 3 second half INTs (4 for the day), is there anyone who still thinks that we need a pass rusher over a franchise QB?

Let's go, Joe Burrow!

Agreed. Young is a talent, but we have talent on the defensive line.

We saw 'bad Andy' today. Same thing we saw all year. He'll light the Dolphins up and people will want to keep him...but he's just too inconsistent.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 01:25 AM)J24 Wrote: To me it's either Burrow or trade the pick. Also I would keep an eye out on Tua medical as well.

This
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 07:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, after watching the pass rush have a good day, and Andy bumbling away the rest of the team's efforts with 3 second half INTs (4 for the day), is there anyone who still thinks that we need a pass rusher over a franchise QB?

Let's go, Joe Burrow!

When everyone's available the Bengals can generate some pressure.  That's the thing though, Lawson is the best pure pass rusher on the team and he has trouble being available week to week. 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 10:16 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: When everyone's available the Bengals can generate some pressure.  That's the thing though, Lawson is the best pure pass rusher on the team and he has trouble being available week to week. 

As a rookie he was. The injuries seem to have taken away some of his abilities. 3 sacks this year.

Dunlap has been playing very well the past 4-5 games.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 10:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: As a rookie he was. The injuries seem to have taken away some of his abilities. 3 sacks this year.

Dunlap has been playing very well the past 4-5 games.

He had no sacks today, but had several hits on Brady.  He almost always applies pressure when he plays even if it doesn't result in a sack.
Reply/Quote
Tiger

Just my $.02...

1. I think we're seeing that Lawson is too small to be an every down DE in the NFL.

2. I think the #1 pick should be Chase Young.

3. I think at the top of RD 2, we take Jalen Hurts (mobile QB) and with the 2nd rounder we get for the AD trade, we take the Best Available OT....
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 11:26 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger

Just my $.02...

1. I think we're seeing that Lawson is too small to be an every down DE in the NFL.

3. I think at the top of RD 2, we take Jalen Hurts (mobile QB) and with the 2nd rounder we get for the AD trade, we take the Best Available OT....

Yeah...I think he's best suited as a 3-4 OLB.
Reply/Quote

What's this AD trade netting us a 2nd rounder?
Reply/Quote

Just my $.02...

You lost me at Jalen Hurts.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Just my $.02...

What do you mean by too small? Lawson is the same weight as Sam Hubbard.
And despite missing 3 games, Lawson is 2nd on the team in QB hits at 13 (3 behind Dunlap).
I'm fine adding another DL to the team to improve it, but I think that pick can come on Day 2 or early Day 3.

Also, absolutely no to Hurts. Dude is only mobile in the sense that he likes to run with the ball. He's not agile like Lamar Jackson though. He doesn't have much wiggle. I'd rather wait on a QB until 2021 than roll the dice on Hurts.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:39 AM)swilson3828 Wrote: This whole Finley thing was an experiment during a lost season just for the coaches to see what they had in Finley.  Dalton was, and still is the man under center for the Bengals....and will STILL be the man under center next year.  Dalton is such that he's good enough not to have to draft a QB to replace him, but not really they type to take Cincy to new heights......and with the owner we have....I've now doubt Dalton will be the starting QB next season.  The Bengals will take Chase Young with the first pick.....which wouldn't be a bad choice.  Reason being is that I don't see Cincy really improving such during the off season to not be one of those team with a top pick next year. That being the case I would take Fields from Ohio State as the future of the franchise.  The QB position, unless you're just an elite passer, has turned into a wildcat QB position where you need a QB that can pass but can also scramble and run, both of with Fields can do.  Young to Cincy with the first pick in the draft.

If Burrow is smart he should pull a Manning and ask to be traded or hold out until he is traded. This may help the Bengals wake up and fix the organization. Especially if Burrow list that he is not willing to play for the Bengals because they don't have a proper front office in place to help the team win long term and list off lack of a GM, lack of a scouting department, lack of experienced coaches, etc.... 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 11:15 AM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: If Burrow is smart he should pull a Manning and ask to be traded or hold out until he is traded. This may help the Bengals wake up and fix the organization. Especially if Burrow list that he is not willing to play for the Bengals because they don't have a proper front office in place to help the team win long term and list off lack of a GM, lack of a scouting department, lack of experienced coaches, etc.... 

Maybe this is just me being naive and blinded by his greatness, but from the interviews I've seen of him, he doesn't seem like the guy that would do that. Plus with Eli it seemed like Archie Manning was behind that whole thing. Burrow is coming from more humble roots and isn't part of such a high profile family like the Mannings. He certainly doesn't hate the city of Cincinnati as he nearly came to UC when transferring from OSU.
Reply/Quote
What are the chances of seeing Dalton being gone? If we have to choose a back up who is the better of the two, R. Finley at 6'4, or J. Dolegela, at 6'7.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 11:13 AM)ochocincos Wrote: What do you mean by too small? Lawson is the same weight as Sam Hubbard.
And despite missing 3 games, Lawson is 2nd on the team in QB hits at 13 (3 behind Dunlap).
I'm fine adding another DL to the team to improve it, but I think that pick can come on Day 2 or early Day 3.
Which is exactly why I keep taking Curtis Weaver at the top of the 2nd, in my mock drafts.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 11:13 AM)ochocincos Wrote: What do you mean by too small? Lawson is the same weight as Sam Hubbard.

Also, absolutely no to Hurts. Dude is only mobile in the sense that he likes to run with the ball. He's not agile like Lamar Jackson though. He doesn't have much wiggle. I'd rather wait on a QB until 2021 than roll the dice on Hurts.

Hurts is flat out underrated and that's just not me saying that but PFF.  By the way he has plenty of wiggle not as much as Jackson but he isn't a stiff.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 02:11 AM)whodeyfan1 Wrote: Sounds like Chase Young somewhat backtracked his earlier comments about his "plan" to return to OSU next season. I could not imagine anyone passing up the guaranteed top 3 pick and 8 figure contract to return for a year of college football. Really wouldn't make any sense.

Gives me some hope that if the Giants end up picking ahead of the Bengals, they would take Young and we would still get Burrow. Fingers crossed.

The Wild Card is if the Giants trade the pick to Miami and load up on draft picks. I would think the Giants would be open to get 2 first round picks, as well as some other later round picks. In this scenario Miami takes Burrow and the Bengals take Young (maybe)?
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:39 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...I think he's best suited as a 3-4 OLB.
Tiger  I'd be OK with him being an outside LBer. Maybe with his speed we'd have a LBer that could cover... 
(12-16-2019, 01:20 AM)whodeyfan1 Wrote: What's this AD trade netting us a 2nd rounder?
Tiger There may be a team out there that is looking for a vet QB like AD who'd be willing to give us what we spent on him. Operative words being may and be... Wink  
(12-16-2019, 01:23 AM)Synric Wrote: You lost me at Jalen Hurts.
Tiger Why is that?  Jalen Hurts was the starter at Alabama before the great and wonderful Tua appeared. I think he opens up the draft to get a day 1 starting QB AND Chase Young. Is Jalen Hurts a Joe Burrow? No. But Jalen Hurts will be a huge step up from Andy Dalton... 

Tiger  So they're the same weight? Hubbard has the length needed for edge rushers. I think Lawson would be better used as an OLBer that rushes and/or uses his speed to cover TEs.

Pocket passers are becoming a thing of the past. Look at Josh Allen. He doesn't have too much wiggle but can run the ball. With the right coaching (Van Pelt) Hurts could easily become a passer first/runner second. Hurts is no Lamar Jackson, but he's got more "wiggle" than you give him credit for.

You probably have your Joe Burrow goggles on and that's fine. A lot on here do. Maybe he's the answer, maybe not. I'm just trying to get as much Day 1 starting talent out of the draft as possible because MB sure as hell isn't going to do any wheeling and dealing to help...

The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:39 AM)swilson3828 Wrote: This whole Finley thing was an experiment during a lost season just for the coaches to see what they had in Finley.  Dalton was, and still is the man under center for the Bengals....and will STILL be the man under center next year.  Dalton is such that he's good enough not to have to draft a QB to replace him, but not really they type to take Cincy to new heights......and with the owner we have....I've now doubt Dalton will be the starting QB next season.  The Bengals will take Chase Young with the first pick.....which wouldn't be a bad choice.  Reason being is that I don't see Cincy really improving such during the off season to not be one of those team with a top pick next year. That being the case I would take Fields from Ohio State as the future of the franchise.  The QB position, unless you're just an elite passer, has turned into a wildcat QB position where you need a QB that can pass but can also scramble and run, both of with Fields can do.  Young to Cincy with the first pick in the draft.

I think Burrow will be an elite passer in the NFL, I take him over Young myself and I really like Young.
Reply/Quote
This will probably sound stupid but I’ll ask it anyways. If the Bengals hold onto the first pick, what kind of package would they have to put together to also trade up for the second pick? Obviously, the first round pick from the following draft but what else? Would you do something like the 2nd and 3rd of this year plus the first of next year? The Bengals could add the captain of the Offense and the Defense in the same year. They would set up the next 10 years and shock the NFL. You could use the remainder of the draft and free agency to address OL, LB and WR. I know this is Mike and he isn’t creative and this isn’t happening but what would it take?
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 05:28 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: This will probably sound stupid but I’ll ask it anyways. If the Bengals hold onto the first pick, what kind of package would they have to put together to also trade up for the second pick? Obviously, the first round pick from the following draft but what else? Would you do something like the 2nd and 3rd of this year plus the first of next year? The Bengals could add the captain of the Offense and the Defense in the same year. They would set up the next 10 years and shock the NFL. You could use the remainder of the draft and free agency to address OL, LB and WR. I know this is Mike and he isn’t creative and this isn’t happening but what would it take?

I don’t think that would be enough. Look at the haul the Bears had to trade to go up one spot for Trubisky.

Reply/Quote