Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Burrow is hit every freaking play
(11-13-2023, 12:00 PM)Nepa Wrote: And the helmet-to-helmet hit on Chase yesterday, after he gave himself up, was inexcusable. Chase could have easily ended up with a concussion. The Bengals should advocate for that defender to be at least fined by the league.

Until they start suspending players for those types of hits it'll be part of the game. He should've been tossed without question tho.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 01:37 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Until they start suspending players for those types of hits it'll be part of the game. He should've been tossed without question tho.

I just posted a thread on this. The NFL suspended the culprit for 3 days. So glad to see this.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 12:52 PM)WhoDeyK Wrote: Pollacks need replaced for a while. The guy has been given several proven veterans who come here and regress. Same can be said with the Rookies, often their first year is their best year here. Volson is the latest example of that. I can’t recall anyone who he’s developed. The guy is keeping his job solely based on past accomplishments.

Hoping he’s not back next year and that we spend a significant amount of draft capital on the line. Sick of going into the off-season complaining about the line only to make minor changes and then have the same problems again

We need a mostly new OL including the coach. They're mediocre at best at pass blocking and poor at run blocking. The very least we're going to need a new LG and RT (since I doubt Jonah will be here). Mixon has been up and down, but our run blocking isn't doing him any favors. We need to hit on a few drafts and better coaching.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Could be true. But I wouldn't use this one game as the standard. We got no pressure on Stroud. It was abysmal. I think that was the oddity on Sunday more than anything Burrow saw. We collapsed the pocket a few times up the middle but generated no pass rush around the edge, which played/plays right into CJ's wheelhouse.

I'm not against moving on from Pollack. I just wouldn't use this game as Exhibit A. Just my 2c.
Reply/Quote
I see more OL/Pollack kvetching when the issue on hits is more that most are late hits. This has been a problem all season of teams headhunting Burrow. The last couple of weeks we got a pair of roughing calls but it has to be flagged every time it happens to stop it.
Reply/Quote
Burrow gets hit a ton because he likes to hold onto the ball to make the big play as well. Does the OL need to improve?

Of course, especially Volson who has been terrible this season. When Burrow gets the ball out quick, he doesn't get hit
near as much, unless Nick Bosa is coming at him like in the 49ers game.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 10:36 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I've been to every home game but one this year (Bills).

One thing is more apparent being at the games than watching on TV...Burrow is hit almost every play. Doesn't matter if its a completion, a sack, an incomplete pass...the guy is constantly being hit. Some hits are harder than others. Some are around his legs and knees. I hold my breath a lot.

Compare this to Stroud who wasn't even touched yesterday. The Texans moved the pocket masterfully.

All it's going to take is a little bad luck. The hits Burrow is taking just isn't sustainable, especially as he ages.

Yea.

Total pressures allowed by each OL against HOU, according to PFF:
Brown - 8
Volson - 2
Karras - 2
Cappa - 5
Williams - 4
------------------------
Total - 21

Brown is up to 35 pressures allowed, but only 2 sacks.
Jonah 21 pressures allowed, 3 sacks.
Cappa 19 pressures, 2 sacks.
Volson 26 pressures, 3 sacks.
Karras 15 pressures but 6 sacks.

6 of Burrow's sacks are not tagged to these OL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The one common denominator in these bad-to-average offensive lines we have had for what seems like an eternity is Frank Pollack. I don't miss Jim Turner whatsoever but jeez man, this guy is just as bad. It's a pity too, Turner was so bad that when Pollack came back, I was stoked. But between bad line play, bad preparation (remember the "we can't handle stunts AT ALL phase, anyone?!) and a non-existent running game... I'm beyond ready to move on. Hell, I would take a hungry, up & comer out of the college ranks over GlassEater Frank at this point.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 04:03 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: The one common denominator in these bad-to-average offensive lines we have had for what seems like an eternity is Frank Pollack. I don't miss Jim Turner whatsoever but jeez man, this guy is just as bad. It's a pity too, Turner was so bad that when Pollack came back, I was stoked. But between bad line play, bad preparation (remember the "we can't handle stunts AT ALL phase, anyone?!) and a non-existent running game... I'm beyond ready to move on. Hell, I would take a hungry, up & comer out of the college ranks over GlassEater Frank at this point.

I hear almost endlessly about fans' disillusionment with Pollack. Buffalo's fanbase have been irate with their OC, and it reached a boiling point last night/today, and Buffalo made the change today, mid-season. I guess Pollack falls under the radar because of his less visible position, but after years of complaining, you would think the Bengals would make a change, if only to appease an angry fanbase.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 02:24 PM)Nepa Wrote: I just posted a thread on this. The NFL suspended the culprit for 3 days. So glad to see this.

I'm shocked, mainly because he did'nt get tossed from the game.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 03:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea.

Brown - 8
Volson - 2
Karras - 2
Cappa - 5
Williams - 4
------------------------
Total - 21

Haven't seen much chatter about him on the board but...Orlando Brown has been average at best this year. Borderline bad. 
Reply/Quote
I don't know if Frank was at the head of the table but whoever endorsed the Carman pick needs to go. That was a massive miss. For that matter, why did they think Volson would be more than he is? Nothing against the kid but he's just a guy. He's always been just a guy.

Point being, forget about development- our OL scouting is not on par. This regime is far more equipped to find guys through free agency than the draft, but that'll be harder to sustain as the Burrow contract grows. Their OL draft ROI needs to improve. Heck, hire me if you need to. My targets the last five years seem to be playing pretty freaking well ... needless to say, Carman was never on my list lol
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 05:03 PM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: Haven't seen much chatter about him on the board but...Orlando Brown has been average at best this year. Borderline bad. 

Very few actual sacks allowed, which is why he's been heralded by some.
But he's allowed a good amount of pressures.
Maybe not quite as much as PFF has dinged him for though, but still more than a little.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Sorry, I have absolutely no idea why the quality of the below GIF is so bad. It looks fine on the software I am using to record. Anyways, speaking of Burrow getting hit, here is a hit causing him to miss a pass to Boyd, almost causing an interception. Volson got thumped on this rep.

via GIPHY

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 04:12 PM)Nepa Wrote: I hear almost endlessly about fans' disillusionment with Pollack. Buffalo's fanbase have been irate with their OC, and it reached a boiling point last night/today, and Buffalo made the change today, mid-season. I guess Pollack falls under the radar because of his less visible position, but after years of complaining, you would think the Bengals would make a change, if only to appease an angry fanbase.
They may as well ride it out this year, if they replaced him now it would be in-house with a Frank Pollack assistant / underling. Plus they need to make up their collective minds as to what type of linemen they are looking for. Stop trying to fit power gap guys in as wide zone, for example. If you wanna run WZ, sign and draft guys proficient in that scheme. I've said in the past that this organization of late has seemed to just either draft offensive linemen on measureables and "this ex-guru speaks highly of this guy" or if a guy falls into their lap like Jonah did. Not saying Jonah was a bad pick, but at the time was he scouted as a fit? Or was he drafted as "well he's BPA, and plays a high value position, but doesn't fit the scheme. We can work with that."?
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 03:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea.

Brown - 8
Volson - 2
Karras - 2
Cappa - 5
Williams - 4
------------------------
Total - 21

Id love to know how many QB hits Burrow has taken this year compared to the rest of the league. He HAS to lead the league in it. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 05:33 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Sorry, I have absolutely no idea why the quality of the below GIF is so bad. It looks fine on the software I am using to record. Anyways, speaking of Burrow getting hit, here is a hit causing him to miss a pass to Boyd, almost causing an interception. Volson got thumped on this rep.

via GIPHY

Check out the one where there was pressure up the middle. Burrow's head snapped on the ground pretty damn hard...I was shocked he wasn't concussed. 

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
I’m all for the Bengals replacing their offensive coaches and coordinators but who is available to replace them?
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 05:51 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m all for the Bengals replacing their offensive coaches and coordinators but who is available to replace them?

Willie Anderson could be a good hire. 
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 05:45 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Id love to know how many QB hits Burrow has taken this year compared to the rest of the league. He HAS to lead the league in it. 

Not sure if I can find exactly that, but here are the total number of hits (not including sacks) that the starting 5 OL have allowed.
OBJ - 7
Volson - 3
Karras - 3
Cappa - 5
Williams - 4
-----------------
Total - 22

Add in the 16 sacks by the starting OL, and it totals 38 hits+sacks.
Most of the pressures are just hurries, which is a much more subjective stat, as different people have different opinions of what criteria determines a hurry.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote