Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Burrow is hit every freaking play
(11-13-2023, 11:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tee does not get open quickly. This offense is very slow outside of Chase. The two rookies have some speed, but Boyd, Tee, Irwin? That has to be one the slower groups in the league.

They elevated Jackson from the practice squad but I dont remember seeing him play.  Jackson has 4.2x speed so you would think he could have been used in some way.  I dont know what the coaches are thinking at times.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 05:33 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Sorry, I have absolutely no idea why the quality of the below GIF is so bad. It looks fine on the software I am using to record. Anyways, speaking of Burrow getting hit, here is a hit causing him to miss a pass to Boyd, almost causing an interception. Volson got thumped on this rep.

via GIPHY

If I'm a D-Lineman, I'm grabbing Volson and pulling him toward me on EVERY pass rush attempt.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 05:46 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Check out the one where there was pressure up the middle. Burrow's head snapped on the ground pretty damn hard...I was shocked he wasn't concussed. 

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jeezus, how do you get beat THAT BAD and still be in the NFL?  He (#65) might as well have been made of tissue paper!
Reply/Quote
One of my biggest gripes with the offensive line is in the run game. We have zero run game which makes us predictable. Cappa was a stud last year and looks bad this season, Brown is supposed be a good run blocker maybe it’s the scheme ? Also seems like we never move the pocket for Burrow which makes no sense ,Houston did it a lot with Stroud.
Reply/Quote
Volson on the 1st vid and Cappa on the 2nd. Geez... Many more of those and JB will be out. Simply overpowered by faster, stronger more athletic players that wanted it more. It's almost like our two are in walk thru's.

I've often wondered why teams and the Bengals don't use more athletic, faster, stronger guys on the O'line than the slower, less athletic guys they use now? Just those two plays looked like Pro's beating high school kids.
Reply/Quote
Pollack continues to not be the answer. If they got a new LG, or a new C and moved Karras to LG, this OL should have talent enough to be a good one. Need to get coaches who can make the sum greater than it's parts, not lesser.

Maybe because he doesn't trust his OL, Burrow also seems to get happy feet a couple times when he doesn't need to. I can't say I know how many times exactly, but at least once he had a perfectly fine pocket to step up into and keep looking downfield, but as soon as he had to step up he was already looking to run rather than keep trying to pass.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
That 2nd vid he didn't have time to take a breath. 2 seconds and he was flat on his back. Nice play there Cappa. That is painful to even watch. Way to protect the 1/4 billion QB.
Reply/Quote
The offensive line is wildly inconsistent. During the four game win streak they ran blocked and pass protected better but when the linemen have an off day they are WAY off. To me this is becoming a maddening trend and I’m sick of watching Joe Mixon dropped behind the line of scrimmage and watching Joe Burrow get treated like a crash test dummy is getting old fast. I can’t help comparing all the time CJ Stroud had to throw with the little time Joe Burrow had. In fact, Joe’s longest completions against the Texans came on semi-broken plays where he had to escape a collapsing pocket.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 10:28 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The offensive line is wildly inconsistent. During the four game win streak they ran blocked and pass protected better but when the linemen have an off day they are WAY off. To me this is becoming a maddening trend and I’m sick of watching Joe Mixon dropped behind the line of scrimmage and watching Joe Burrow get treated like a crash test dummy is getting old fast. I can’t help comparing all the time CJ Stroud had to throw with the little time Joe Burrow had. In fact, Joe’s longest completions against the Texans came on semi-broken plays where he had to escape a collapsing pocket.

Feel like this is true. From week to week it seems like (at least as to PFF grades) the line fluctuates from okay to just wildly terrible in terms of pass protection. It’s hard to explain how low their numbers are sometimes. Cappa was a good example of this against the Texans.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
If you think CJ Stroud had lots of time to throw behind the Texans’ offensive line just wait until you see the time the Ravens’ offensive line gives Lamar Jackson. I have no idea how Lou Anarumo plans to pressure Lamar without Trey Hendrickson and Sam Hubbard in the lineup. Maybe Mike Hilton could blitz off the edge.
Reply/Quote
Tried to tell you all.

Burrow and injuries are becoming a theme. Nothing is going to change until they fix the pathetic excuse they have for an OL. Burrow takes WAY too many hits - I worry about his career.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
The Cincinnati offensive line has more holes than a block of Swiss cheese. I think most of the right players are on the roster but I think the coaching and the blocking schemes are from a bygone era.

In comparison the Ravens protected Lamar Jackson masterfully. I even used my iPhone stopwatch function and on one play he had ELEVEN SECONDS to throw. That’s absolutely insane — and it says lots about the Bengals’ lack of a pass rush too.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:37 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Tried to tell you all.

Burrow and injuries are becoming a theme. Nothing is going to change until they fix the pathetic excuse they have for an OL. Burrow takes WAY too many hits - I worry about his career.

Taylor takes the high road saying Burrow "fell" on his wrist, when we all saw he was taken down by a defender, whereas Harbaugh essentially calls Wilson a dirty player, saying "It was definitely a hip-drop tackle, and it is being discussed," Harbaugh said. "It's a tough tackle. Was it even necessary in that situation?"
Reply/Quote
And the problem is that we already have so much money tied up in this underperforming line that it’s going to be tough to fix it. We paid for a shiny new car but were given a lemon.

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
Speaking of the o-line. they cost us a superbowl and possibly a second.

Those 2 years were our chance. That window has closed. Doubtful we even make the playoffs this year.

We are headed back to the Andy Dalton/Marvin Lewis years.

This team is still owned by Mike Brown and Tobin is going no where.

They still hold on to coaches far too long, refuse to make trades during the season to at least try to fix problems and Zac is not a good play caller.

Hell, Buffalo just fired there OC mid season. It may not work out but a at least they are freakin trying.

Eh, whatever. It was a fun 2 years. We almost did it. I have no reason to believe we will be at that level again anytime soon. Burrow getting destroyed behind our shit line. Can't stay healthy in the off season. He won't last too many more years and then it's really over. I am almost 50 and at this point I honestly don't think I will ever see a Bengals superbowl win in my lifetime. We had our chance for 2 years. We blew it.

As the theme song for the Bengals goes "Maybe next year".

I will say this about the Bengals, if you could get into the HOF for fan disappointment, the Bengals would be king.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:37 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Tried to tell you all.

Yup, agree. But nothing new most haven't seen for past 3 seasons.

I was starting to turn the corner with my thinking about Volson last year as he started to look good at times. But man, back to having very little hope for him now. 

Complete whiffs, getting manhandled/bulled straight backwards quickly very often, penalties. It has not been good as late in my opinion.

Cappa even has his moments and hasn't looked as good since the injury just to my eyes. 

Something's gotta give here with the O-line. It's gonna be tough to have expensive players on the line and throughout the roster with the expensive contracts to star skill players,, but they gotta do something.

Coaching sure could help more knowing this weakness though. Moving pockets, sticking to the run game if it has shown some early success in a game, more traditional screen plays to try and make pass rushers hesitate.  Something,,, c'mon. 

Burrow is tough,, but the pounding is going to shorten his NFL life span.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 09:26 AM)chrisball96 Wrote: And the problem is that we already have so much money tied up in this underperforming line that it’s going to be tough to fix it. We paid for a shiny new car but were given a lemon.

You can fix it. Fire Pollack and sure up the interior by replacing Volson either through FA or draft. He's awful. 

If you do that it'll be better. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 09:38 AM)Bengal Billy Wrote: Yup, agree. But nothing new most haven't seen for past 3 seasons.

I was starting to turn the corner with my thinking about Volson last year as he started to look good at times. But man, back to having very little hope for him now. 

Complete whiffs, getting manhandled/bulled straight backwards quickly very often, penalties. It has not been good as late in my opinion.

Cappa even has his moments and hasn't looked as good since the injury just to my eyes. 

Something's gotta give here with the O-line. It's gonna be tough to have expensive players on the line and throughout the roster with the expensive contracts to star skill players,, but they gotta do something.

Coaching sure could help more knowing this weakness though. Moving pockets, sticking to the run game if it has shown some early success in a game, more traditional screen plays to try and make pass rushers hesitate.  Something,,, c'mon. 

Burrow is tough,, but the pounding is going to shorten his NFL life span.

They’ve given up nine sacks in the last two games. And it’s only going to get worse if Browning is back there holding onto the ball. And it’s not that they are getting beaten but it’s the way they are getting beaten: manhandled, shoved aside, or just plain old whiffing. We play in the AFC North, it a gauntlet full of good to devastating pass rushers.

We cannot continue to operate this way and survive.

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:01 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You can fix it. Fire Pollack and sure up the interior by replacing Volson either through FA or draft. He's awful. 

If you do that it'll be better. 

Yep. Again, fire him and get creative on your hiring, scour the college ranks for an up and comer, hell I don’t know. Use the rest of the season to provide the continuity on the line going into next season…WITHOUT Volson.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 09:27 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I will say this about the Bengals, if you could get into the HOF for fan disappointment, the Bengals would be king.

No, there is always the Bills. They'd had so many hard-luck losses that they actually named some of the events, such as "13 seconds" and "Music City Miracle" (16 seconds). 
Reply/Quote