Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow says Thad Moss will be a big part of the team
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 10:49 AM)Trademark Wrote:

I guess we have our 3rd Tight End....
Reply/Quote
He's looked good in the passing game. I haven't really watched him blocking.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 10:55 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: He's looked good in the passing game. I haven't really watched him blocking.

He’s not too good of a blocker from what I’ve seen. A little undersized.

Joe seems to vouch a lot for his own guys… it’s a good thing but also makes ya wonder.
Reply/Quote
I think Thad is a very capable blocker and offers a receiver dimension somewhere between Uzomah and Sample. That is a pretty solid option at TE.

BTW, did anyone see what happened to Wilcox? The TV announcers completely ignored it, but after his one big catch, he was falling back from the initial hit and got hit hard in the back of the head (not a dirty hit at all, just incidental) and knocked his helmet off.

He got up, and seemingly made some odd first down gesture, then he motioned around in a circle for a bit before his teammates noticed that he was completely out of it. It was like he was knocked out but his legs didn't know it. It looked kind of funny, but his concussion was not funny at all. I hope he is ok. He took a hell of a hit to the back of his melon.
Reply/Quote
If he makes the roster I think we can hide the other tight ends (schrek and Wilcox) on the PS. Maybe they keep 4 though, and 1 goes to PS.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 10:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think Thad is a very capable blocker and offers a receiver dimension somewhere between Uzomah and Sample.  That is a pretty solid option at TE.

BTW, did anyone see what happened to Wilcox?  The TV announcers completely ignored it, but after his one big catch, he was falling back from the initial hit and got hit hard in the back of the head (not a dirty hit at all, just incidental) and knocked his helmet off.  

He got up, and seemingly made some odd first down gesture, then he motioned around in a circle for a bit before his teammates noticed that he was completely out of it.  It was like he was knocked out but his legs didn't know it.  It looked kind of funny, but his concussion was not funny at all.  I hope he is ok.  He took a hell of a hit to the back of his melon.

Yeah, I saw that and thought "What the hell are you doing a touchdown celebration for?" then realized he had no clue where he even was.....
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 10:57 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Joe seems to vouch a lot for his own guys… it’s a good thing but also makes ya wonder.

Makes you wonder how pumped we are going to be to see what Burrow can do with Joe Brady as his HC in 2022.
Reply/Quote
I think he's blocked well as a fullback in the run game (I formation).

I can see him being a significant part of the offense.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Not surprising at all.
Production through 3 preseason games: 8 rec, 64 yards
He's been the most productive TE in preseason, and even one of the best pass catchers in general.

Given Uzomah is in the final year of his contract this season, I could totally see Moss taking over as TE2 (or even TE1?) next season. Moss isn't elite, but he's a solid Option 4-5 in the passing game.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 11:03 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Makes you wonder how pumped we are going to be to see what Burrow can do with Joe Brady as his HC in 2022.

Well, if he can’t get Chase right nobody can. Tongue

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 11:18 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, if he can’t get Chase right nobody can. Tongue

Well if you're going to drag Chase into this we could at least hope that Moss coaches Chase up on how to catch passes from QBs who aren't named Burrow....or are named Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 10:57 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He’s not too good of a blocker from what I’ve seen. A little undersized.

Joe seems to vouch a lot for his own guys… it’s a good thing but also makes ya wonder.

yea, Im seeing a pattern here...if I were Burrow I would keep those thoughts between staff and himself...the optics on the Chase situation looks quite bad right about now.  That said ; I like Moss, he seems limited but seems like a a good safety valve kind of guy ... and hey, he can actually catch passes in real games!!  
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 11:27 AM)kalibengal Wrote: yea, Im seeing a pattern here...if I were Burrow I would keep those thoughts between staff and himself...the optics on the Chase situation looks quite bad right about now.  That said ; I like Moss, he seems limited but seems like a a good safety valve kind of guy ... and hey, he can actually catch passes in real games!!  

Burrow didn’t have to vouch for Chase. Chase was considered the top WR prospect over at least the past two years by many, plus the guy who we would have taken instead, has also looked bad in Preseason. However that is for another thread.

Like someone else said. Moss has been our most productive TE in the preseason, so why is this a big deal? It’s not like he’s going to be 1st or even 2nd. We are talking about bringing in someone who can outproduce Cethan Carter from last year. I think he can.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 11:27 AM)kalibengal Wrote: yea, Im seeing a pattern here...if I were Burrow I would keep those thoughts between staff and himself...the optics on the Chase situation looks quite bad right about now.  That said ; I like Moss, he seems limited but seems like a a good safety valve kind of guy ... and hey, he can actually catch passes in real games!!  

The optics on Chase is that anyone labeling a John Ross or a bust already is just going to look silly. And of course Burrow wants the guys he went through this with.......

Reply/Quote
hmm.. so Burrow wants his LSU team in the NFL... I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I remember when Andy was so attached to AJ, once AJ because obsolete, so did Andy. If Burrow has this much pull on personnel, I don't think we'll be in the playoffs anytime soon.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 11:34 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: hmm.. so Burrow wants his LSU team in  the NFL... I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I remember when Andy was so attached to AJ, once AJ because obsolete, so did Andy.  If Burrow has this much pull on personnel, I don't think we'll be in the playoffs anytime soon.

But it's not Burrow's pull..... Moss earned this spot in the pre-season.
Reply/Quote
We're talking about a third string TE. This is much ado about nothing.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2021, 11:34 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: hmm.. so Burrow wants his LSU team in the NFL... I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I remember when Andy was so attached to AJ, once AJ because obsolete, so did Andy. If Burrow has this much pull on personnel, I don't think we'll be in the playoffs anytime soon.

If we suck again this year I’d be more than fine with taking Derek Stingley…

Reply/Quote
I liked the Moss pickup. I think he was worth the chance. That said, if he's a big part of our team in 2021 that doesn't necessarily speak very well for our Tight End room right now.

If you pick up a guy who went undrafted, who was then waived from his first team after only season, and he immediately finds a role with your team, when you have a 6 million dollar 7th year vet, and a former 2nd round, 3rd year vet, that's not the best of looks.

I hope Moss does great. If he find a role then that's awesome. But if that happens, what an embarrassing chain of events for the Bengals. You hold onto to a guy like Uzomah who's a cap casualty on most teams, and then you have Drew Sample who would further cement himself as a turd sandwhich if Moss puts up numbers.

Bascially what I am saying is this... If Moss carves out the role that is awesome for him and his fans. It's not so good for Duke Tobin and Zac Taylor. If he's used a bunch then this speaks to some serious issues in player evaluations and roster construction.
Reply/Quote