Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Burrow terrible down the field
(10-06-2020, 02:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The fact that the Bengals moved on from Andy and drafted Joe, which was absolutely the right move, doesn't mean that Andy never did good things for this organization during his time here. I think it's crazy how much the guy is still hated and disrespected, even though he's in Dallas now. Andy was always a class act, was a part of 5 playoff seasons and had some outstanding performances as the Bengals starting QB. 

It's one thing to say he wasn't good enough to take us to the next level or that we needed to find someone more dynamic at the position...I felt the same way, but I also won't shit on Andy because I appreciate the good things he did in the 9 years he was here. Much like Marvin, it wasn't enough and he ended up having some very real limitations. 

I'm ecstatic we have Burrow and think he'll wind up being an elite QB. Not sure why fans can't just be happy about that, instead of continually shitting on a guy who's no longer here. The Bengals moved on from Andy. Fans should probably do the same. 

He’s in Dallas and yet you’re writing paragraphs defending him and telling other how to talk about him.

He was a nice guy loser who sucked under pressure and who the bengals wasted 8 years with.

You should move on from being his fanboy/bodyguard.

Eight wasted years
(10-06-2020, 03:00 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: He’s in Dallas and yet you’re writing paragraphs defending him and telling other how to talk about him.

He was a nice guy loser who sucked under pressure and who the bengals wasted 8 years with.  

You should move on from being his fanboy/bodyguard.

Eight wasted years

[Image: giphy.gif]
(10-06-2020, 01:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: As I said, Burrow will be fine. He's been under a ton of pressure, which affects the deep throws, also he's dealt with some drops. These aren't excuses, it's just the reality of things. Football is a team game. A passing game relies of blocking and catching just as much as the QB.

In the long haul, I think Burrow will be dropping dimes on deep throws. He needs time to throw and more time to gel with the receivers. Dude didn't even get a preseason.

I think he'll be ok too but you can't just sweep 1/22 with 1 drop under the rug. Excuses or not, he's not at such a disadvanage to everyone else that it's affecting him that bad. He's had at least a handful of throws with no pressure that he's just missed. 

I'm not ready to throw the switch for the alarm though. As i said, i think he'll come around sometime this season. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(10-06-2020, 02:07 PM)PDub80 Wrote: For any Bengals fan to even begin to open their mouth about a criticism of Burrow at this point is obnoxious and turdy.

Sorry but everyone is open to criticism. It doesn't mean he sucks. If he hits Green with that deep ball in game #1, pretty good chance there's no need for that ending and it's a win. So he gets some blame for the loss, as well. Pointing that out doesn't lessen what he's done well in every other area. 

And i'll bet you every damn penny that i've made in my lifetime that Burrow would agree. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(10-06-2020, 03:23 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sorry but everyone is open to criticism. It doesn't mean he sucks. If he hits Green with that deep ball in game #1, pretty good chance there's no need for that ending and it's a win. So he gets some blame for the loss, as well. Pointing that out doesn't lessen what he's done well in every other area. 

And i'll bet you every damn penny that i've made in my lifetime that Burrow would agree. 

I believe Joe himself, about that missed throw said, "A high schooler could hit that throw."
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(10-06-2020, 03:23 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sorry but everyone is open to criticism. It doesn't mean he sucks. If he hits Green with that deep ball in game #1, pretty good chance there's no need for that ending and it's a win. So he gets some blame for the loss, as well. Pointing that out doesn't lessen what he's done well in every other area. 

I agree with this.

What I don't get is why we have to denigrate Andy in order to praise Joe, or vice versa.  I will always appreciate the man that Andy was, but I can do that and still be happy we have Joe.
(10-06-2020, 03:26 PM)McC Wrote: I believe Joe himself, about that missed throw said, "A high schooler could hit that throw."

Yup. And the great thing is, we can point out that he needs to improve that, knowing from his past that he will, and he's still been outstanding so far this year. 

I mean, you just get that feeling that no matter who he's playing, he's going to go out there and find a way to succeed. 

(10-06-2020, 03:27 PM)Earendil Wrote: I agree with this.

What I don't get is why we have to denigrate Andy in order to praise Joe, or vice versa.  I will always appreciate the man that Andy was, but I can do that and still be happy we have Joe.

The last couple years i ragged on AD hard because it was beyond obvious that he had done all he could and it just wasn't good enough to win a playoff game, let alone a ring. 

Since he's been gone i've tried to completely refrain from referencing him unless i'm anwering a post that has to do with him. Also, since he's gone, i don't see any reason to dump more doodoo on his head. 

Water and bridges and whatnot. 

(10-06-2020, 03:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yup. And the great thing is, we can point out that he needs to improve that, knowing from his past that he will, and he's still been outstanding so far this year. 

I mean, you just get that feeling that no matter who he's playing, he's going to go out there and find a way to succeed. 

He has the type of personality that focuses / obsesses on what he's doing wrong and what he needs to fix in order to be better. He's going to be incredibly driven to keep improving and eliminating as many mistakes as possible.
(10-04-2020, 07:15 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I think a big part of it has been the pressure and lack of running game. Also the WR's dropping balls and the lack of AJ Green playing at a high level. The deep passes will come, but as it is now, he's putting up over 300 yards per game so I see no reason to worry.

Yeah all the pressure has been on him until the Jags game with no running game and poor blocking. 

No reason to worry as you say Bengaloo. Burrow has played great. Better than I thought he would as a rookie.
(10-06-2020, 03:26 PM)McC Wrote: I believe Joe himself, about that missed throw said, "A high schooler could hit that throw."

Yep, he is his toughest critic.
(10-06-2020, 03:34 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The last couple years i ragged on AD hard because it was beyond obvious that he had done all he could and it just wasn't good enough to win a playoff game, let alone a ring. 

Since he's been gone i've tried to completely refrain from referencing him unless i'm anwering a post that has to do with him. Also, since he's gone, i don't see any reason to dump more doodoo on his head. 

Yeah, even though I was an Andy supporter for the most part, I was absolutely ready to move on. I'm glad it finally happened and I wish Andy the best, but now it's all about Burrow and what he can do, where he can take us.
(10-06-2020, 03:34 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The last couple years i ragged on AD hard because it was beyond obvious that he had done all he could and it just wasn't good enough to win a playoff game, let alone a ring. 

My post wasn't directed at you. I'm sorry if it seemed that way. Cheers
(10-06-2020, 04:40 PM)Earendil Wrote: My post wasn't directed at you. I'm sorry if it seemed that way. Cheers

No sir. I didn't take it that way at all. 

(10-06-2020, 02:07 PM)PDub80 Wrote: He's played a total of 4 games with no preseason and his play would still = 3-1 or 4-0 if his teammates could play to 75% of his level consistently. For any Bengals fan to even begin to open their mouth about a criticism of Burrow at this point is obnoxious and turdy.

Meanwhile, the favorite redhead some of you fools inexplicably keep wanting to rub one off to is right where he should be: The backup on an 0-4 Cowboys team. Joe Burrow after 4 NFL games (all things considered) >>>>> Andy Dalton's finest hour.

Sorry those w AD jerseys have to toss them on the same "I was wrong" pile they keep their George Iloka and Sanu shirts. Time to pony up the cash for some Burrow swag, get with the future of the organization, and quit crying about what people (RIGHTFULLY) said about BLANDY DULLton being mediocre in 2011.

It's as if you didn't even read my post. I'm not bashing Burrow, nor am I saying Dalton was = to or better than Burrow. Nervous

I like the guy we have now. He has potential to be elite, and that's something Dalton didn't have. Dalton was a fine QB who accomplished a lot in Cincy, but Burrow has top 5 potential.

Again, I just find it funny that people thought a new QB would fix everything...in particular the deep passing game...and that many of those people who roasted Dalton for missing deep throws are now excusing Burrow's misses by blaming the line, drops, etc (all things that were "excuses" with the other guy).

Tbh, I threw that little jab in there as a joke and didn't intend for it to turn into a multi-page argument about AD, but I should've known people would focus on that, rather than the meat of my post.

(10-06-2020, 03:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think he'll be ok too but you can't just sweep 1/22 with 1 drop under the rug. Excuses or not, he's not at such a disadvanage to everyone else that it's affecting him that bad. He's had at least a handful of throws with no pressure that he's just missed. 

I'm not ready to throw the switch for the alarm though. As i said, i think he'll come around sometime this season. 

It's something to keep an eye on, but it's a small sample size behind a bottom 3 o-line with no preseason from a rookie QB.

He's the only rookie QB dealing with ALL of these circumstances. He'll probably be fine. I think. Joe
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.

I live in the real, not the ideal. It's unrealistic to expect perfection from anyone. Every player has a bad play or two. The fact that Bengals fans are pointing to 3 or 4 plays in the guys first 4 games, while he's surrounded by pros who are making 4+ mistakes per game, is asinine. Burrow has been unreal and surpassed any reasonable or even lofty expectation. All behind a bad O line & 2 has been WRs as "deep threats" the first 2 weeks (Green & Ross).... with ZERO practice games and 2 weeks of half-assed walk throughs.

- Single game rookie completion record? Check
- 1st rookie to throw for at least 300 yards in 3 straight games? Check
- Most pass attempts in a game by a rookie w out an INT? Check
- 4th rated QB through 4 games according to PFF after this Sunday

Bengals fans response to a football gift from God: "Dur dur dur... he missed a deep ball."

Bunch of clown shoes lurking around the Bengals forums. 
(10-06-2020, 08:22 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I live in the real, not the ideal. It's unrealistic to expect perfection from anyone. Every player has a bad play or two. The fact that Bengals fans are pointing to 3 or 4 plays in the guys first 4 games, while he's surrounded by pros who are making 4+ mistakes per game, is asinine. Burrow has been unreal and surpassed any reasonable or even lofty expectation. All behind a bad O line & 2 has been WRs as "deep threats" the first 2 weeks (Green & Ross).... with ZERO practice games and 2 weeks of half-assed walk throughs.

Bengals fans response to a football gift from God: "Dur dur dur... he missed a deep ball."

Guy HAS been great man and he will just get better. 

Bound to miss some throws and Burrow is the first dude to call out his own play.
(10-06-2020, 08:22 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I live in the real, not the ideal. It's unrealistic to expect perfection from anyone. Every player has a bad play or two. The fact that Bengals fans are pointing to 3 or 4 plays in the guys first 4 games, while he's surrounded by pros who are making 4+ mistakes per game, is asinine. Burrow has been unreal and surpassed any reasonable or even lofty expectation. All behind a bad O line & 2 has been WRs as "deep threats" the first 2 weeks (Green & Ross).... with ZERO practice games and 2 weeks of half-assed walk throughs.

1/22 isn't "missed a deep ball". But i get it and i agree. He's been spectacular in every other area. Still, that doens't make him immune to criticism. If you don't like it from Bengals fans, take it from the guy himself when he said 'a high schooler could make that throw'. 

If you said...and maybe you are...that the OP has an axe to grind and he's being unreasonable, i agree 100%. But i don't see how you can disagree with more level headed posters that glow about his positives while still being able to say he needs to improve the deep ball. Especially when they follow that with, they believe he will, given time. 

(10-06-2020, 09:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 1/22 isn't "missed a deep ball". But i get it and i agree. He's been spectacular in every other area. Still, that doens't make him immune to criticism. If you don't like it from Bengals fans, take it from the guy himself when he said 'a high schooler could make that throw'. 

If you said...and maybe you are...that the OP has an axe to grind and he's being unreasonable, i agree 100%. But i don't see how you can disagree with more level headed posters that glow about his positives while still being able to say he needs to improve the deep ball. Especially when they follow that with, they believe he will, given time. 

True, plus it is different seeing Pdub80 actually really defending our QB, just have to say lol
(10-04-2020, 08:00 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Eh, the bigger bone of contention was the constant throw-aways and giving up on plays, that along with playing his worst when the games were bigger.

Agree

My pet peeve with Andy was him throwing balls away and not even trying to extend plays. It saved his INT stats but I believe it irked the WR core and contributed to them not really going hard to get open. When you play with Andy he rarely makes throws rolling out of pressure so 95% of the time if he doesnt hit you right off snap you may as well stop running.

Then factor in how afraid of the fade route he was in his last couple years with us. When Dalton was your QB having a tall WR really didnt mean nothing because Andy was too soft to give him a 50/50 ball. 

I understand and am willing to admit that Andy was a good QB and took unfair blame. But to act like he was anything but average is disingenuous. Dude routinely didnt give his WRs shots at jump balls, dude routinely missed deep balls WITH A CLEAN POCKET, and dude every year but once choked in the playoffs, even after ranking as a top QB against the blitz a couple times. 

My 2 pros for Andy that he seemed to have even when he was inconsistent was that he always seemed to instinctively know when to run for a first down. I loved that about him. He was really slick at converting runs for firsts. And after that his short to medium accuracy was great. When you got Andy going in that range he threw accurate LASERS. That was fun to watch. 

But with Burrow I feel like he throws those accurate lasers NORMALLY. I feel like Burrow has the same instinctive ability to run for firsts with even more speed. I feel like Burrow is already better than the best Andy we ever got to see. Thats sad but it makes sense for a number 1 overall pick.