Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Burrow terrible down the field
(10-05-2020, 12:26 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No doubt. Just saying, if we’re getting on the QB (also a rookie) for deep balls not being absolutely perfect I think it’s fair to point out there’s been some drop issues as well.

There has definitely been a few drops and alligator arms. He's playing just fine. Only going to get better!
(10-05-2020, 11:28 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I mean at least people waited until week 8 to start shitting on Dalton; Burrow can't even get to the bye before people are turning on him.

But it's not people.  It's person, as in one guy with a Justin Herbert man love.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(10-05-2020, 12:28 PM)McC Wrote: But it's not people.  It's person, as in one guy with a Justin Herbert man love.

man, Herbert looks good.  But, just like in college, he can't help himself when it comes to making big mistakes in big moments.
Guess the OP decided to sit this one out.
(10-05-2020, 12:36 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Guess the OP decided to sit this one out.

Don't worry, he'll return next week with his regular scheduled programming.
(10-05-2020, 12:38 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Don't worry, he'll return next week with his regular scheduled programming.

Next he will tell us he’s dead last in scramble yards and he voted for Quincy in the election.
(10-04-2020, 08:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Some of these throws that aren’t connecting could be slightly better, but the WR’s aren’t really getting the separation to even be able to lead them most of the time. And Tee Higgins is starting to worry me with his hands. Feels like at least a couple every game so far that he should have had.

Don't forget, he's a rookie too. Never had that issue at Clemson.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I was hard on him after Browns game his YPA is going up after every game. Which is showing improvement which is what you want from a rookie.
(10-04-2020, 09:24 PM)McC Wrote: Hold on there, pardner.  Put AD, at any stage of his career, in what we've had going on this year, without a young, studly AJ as a security blanket, and tell me what his numbers or his record would be.

Look at 2014 and get an idea. That was the year a lot of people were hurt playing WR.... including Green for a good stretch. 

(10-05-2020, 12:48 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Don't forget, he's a rookie too. Never had that issue at Clemson.

True, and I’ll take your word for it since I really only watch Clemson in the playoffs the last couple years, but I’m sure he dropped some once in a while. All WR’s do. But I’ve certainly never heard of it being a knock on his game. If anything I think he was known for really good hands.

(10-05-2020, 01:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: True, and I’ll take your word for it since I really only watch Clemson in the playoffs the last couple years, but I’m sure he dropped some once in a while. All WR’s do. But I’ve certainly never heard of it being a knock on his game. If anything I think he was known for really good hands.

Yes, I watch a lot of ACC football, and he and his squad kicking the Noles' collective ass...lol. He was pretty damn reliable. Lawrence sure liked calling his number....and yes, everyone drops em now and again. If Ross could actually play, the offense would be pretty scary when it can protect.

(10-04-2020, 07:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3953797]

This ^^^

Why try forcing it down the field let him develop naturally the best part about our last game is he had time to sit back a little and read the defense and not run for his life. If they are giving him the short to intermediate throws then take them. If he is just getting the time to throw the deep ball now then its most likely the same in practice so it is going to take a little time. The only issue I really have is the sideline passing where the WR is asked to run up the sideline and catch the ball. Tee Higgins has ran out a few times just a foot or so or Burrow is leading him just a little bit to much outside taking the WR out of bounds. If they could adjust the route to run it a few feet more inbounds it would greatly increase the deep ball receptions. Burrow has no problems hitting the deep posts over the center of the field so just keep the WR inbounds and stop with the acrobatic sideline tippy toe BS along the sideline.
(10-04-2020, 07:55 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Were you referencing another QB? Kitna, Fitz, McCarron, Palmer? I just assumed Dalton.

I didn't say Dalton was/is better than Burrow. Or that he didn't focus on AJ. 

I just think it's funny how a lot of people said a better QB would automatically improve the deep passing game. Some of the same people who bashed Andy for not hitting enough deep throws are now excusing the misses with Burrow.

To be extra clear - as I said in my post - I excuse Burrow's deep throw numbers. I just think it's funny to watch people flip flop on this because they like the QB now.

(10-04-2020, 08:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Early on, that QB got a lot of excuses too. It's natural in the beginning. In my mind, Burrow has missed a few that he was dropping in the bucket last year. 

Pressure, sure. Getting used to new receivers, sure. Better protection and more reps with these guys should clear it up and he will be doing that just as well as everything else.

As I said, Burrow will be fine. He's been under a ton of pressure, which affects the deep throws, also he's dealt with some drops. These aren't excuses, it's just the reality of things. Football is a team game. A passing game relies of blocking and catching just as much as the QB.

In the long haul, I think Burrow will be dropping dimes on deep throws. He needs time to throw and more time to gel with the receivers. Dude didn't even get a preseason.

(10-05-2020, 11:28 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I mean at least people waited until week 8 to start shitting on Dalton; Burrow can't even get to the bye before people are turning on him.

Well actually people were dumping on Dalton after the SF game, which was week 3 of his rookie year. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
I saw on CincyJungle, that heading into MNF, Burrow had the highest passer rating in the LEAGUE on intermediate throws (10-19 yards).

Not too shabby.

Give him better line play, an actual deep threat, and a consistent running game, and the deep balls will come.

EDIT: Link

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/10/6/21503039/bengals-week-4-rookie-report-joe-burrow-first-career-win-tee-higgins-akeem-davis-gaither
(10-06-2020, 01:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I didn't say Dalton was/is better than Burrow. Or that he didn't focus on AJ. 

I just think it's funny how a lot of people said a better QB would automatically improve the deep passing game. Some of the same people who bashed Andy for not hitting enough deep throws are now excusing the misses with Burrow.

To be extra clear - as I said in my post - I excuse Burrow's deep throw numbers. I just think it's funny to watch people flip flop on this because they like the QB now.

As I said, Burrow will be fine. He's been under a ton of pressure, which affects the deep throws, also he's dealt with some drops. These aren't excuses, it's just the reality of things. Football is a team game. A passing game relies of blocking and catching just as much as the QB.

In the long haul, I think Burrow will be dropping dimes on deep throws. He needs time to throw and more time to gel with the receivers. Dude didn't even get a preseason.

Well actually people were dumping on Dalton after the SF game, which was week 3 of his rookie year. 

He's played a total of 4 games with no preseason and his play would still = 3-1 or 4-0 if his teammates could play to 75% of his level consistently. For any Bengals fan to even begin to open their mouth about a criticism of Burrow at this point is obnoxious and turdy.

Meanwhile, the favorite redhead some of you fools inexplicably keep wanting to rub one off to is right where he should be: The backup on an 0-4 Cowboys team. Joe Burrow after 4 NFL games (all things considered) >>>>> Andy Dalton's finest hour.

Sorry those w AD jerseys have to toss them on the same "I was wrong" pile they keep their George Iloka and Sanu shirts. Time to pony up the cash for some Burrow swag, get with the future of the organization, and quit crying about what people (RIGHTFULLY) said about BLANDY DULLton being mediocre in 2011.
Could you imagine how hilarious a current season qb competition between Burrow and Mandy would have been?
(10-06-2020, 02:09 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: Could you imagine how hilarious a current season qb competition between Burrow and Mandy would have been?

I remember one specific poster suggesting Dalton could have possibly beat out Burrow for QB1 in camp. LOL

[Image: EjqBoKUXgAMYvlr?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]

He can be a little more efficient, but his passing grade is good. Imagine once he does start hitting those deep throws. I think this is a matter of chemistry with WR & playcaller.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
(10-06-2020, 02:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I remember one specific poster suggesting Dalton could have possibly beat out Burrow for QB1 in camp. LOL

Amazing.

Like I’ve always said, the bengals had to build a perfect team around andy to marginally, fleetingly, elevate him to mediocrity.

It’s their own fault, they chose to do that.

But now they have a guy who will elevate the rest of the offense.

The key will be winning a Super Bowl in the next 5 years, before the stadium lease is up and before the rookie burrow deal as well.

If they don’t; I Doubt nfl stays here.

If they do, it’s gonna be magical.

Times ticking.
(10-06-2020, 02:09 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: Could you imagine how hilarious a current season qb competition between Burrow and Mandy would have been?

(10-06-2020, 02:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I remember one specific poster suggesting Dalton could have possibly beat out Burrow for QB1 in camp. LOL

The fact that the Bengals moved on from Andy and drafted Joe, which was absolutely the right move, doesn't mean that Andy never did good things for this organization during his time here. I think it's crazy how much the guy is still hated and disrespected, even though he's in Dallas now. Andy was always a class act, was a part of 5 playoff seasons and had some outstanding performances as the Bengals starting QB. 

It's one thing to say he wasn't good enough to take us to the next level or that we needed to find someone more dynamic at the position...I felt the same way, but I also won't shit on Andy because I appreciate the good things he did in the 9 years he was here. Much like Marvin, it wasn't enough and he ended up having some very real limitations. 

I'm ecstatic we have Burrow and think he'll wind up being an elite QB. Not sure why fans can't just be happy about that, instead of continually shitting on a guy who's no longer here. The Bengals moved on from Andy. Fans should probably do the same.