Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Burrow terrible down the field
(10-04-2020, 08:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Need time to throw the ball down the field.  Need receivers to get seperation to throw the ball down the field.  We haven't seen a lot of either of these things this year.

If he missing a lot these throws in a clean pocket, with guys streaking down the field, with no one in front of them, then I would be concerned.  But, as it stands, I'm not.

What we should be focusing on his accuracy and touch across the board, and the fact that's made a miniscule amount of mistakes for a rookie.  These are two things that bode very well for the future.

Why focus on that when you can go on and on about the ONE thing he's not doing well?   Ninja

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(10-04-2020, 08:34 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I was critical of his throw to Higgins. Thought he underthrew it. He def needs to connect more as he's missed a pretty good number of them. 

Short of that, he's been spectacular. This dude (the OP) has a megaboner for pointing out his shortcomings, comparing him to the previous QB and talking on and on about how great another team's QB is playing. 

Some of these throws that aren’t connecting could be slightly better, but the WR’s aren’t really getting the separation to even be able to lead them most of the time. And Tee Higgins is starting to worry me with his hands. Feels like at least a couple every game so far that he should have had.

(10-04-2020, 08:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: if he does not get better.. he will be a solid QB not not Franchise.. do you agree with that ?

lol. What a ridiculous thing to say.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
I have had to watch 2 chargers games with my local broadcast and nfl network. Herbert does look good but he makes a ton of bone headed mistakes that Joe does not. He holds the ball a long time and takes sacks way to much. Struggles to switch to 2nd and 3rd options. The thing that is really helping him is his number 1 target is always open with the receivers he has. If Joe was making these same mistakes he would be getting crucified. I have seen them both and give me Burrow 10 out of 10 times.
I was going to give a lengthy response and then I LOLed and realized this is either extreme trolling or someone is a bit salty from the Hebert highlights.
Going into today, this oline was straight up garbage in protection, so the deeper passes will happen in due time, assuming they keep improving. But this offense right now is designed for those 5-15 yard passes, until Joe gets caught up to NFL speed on reading coverages before and after the snap.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Jesus...

Look there is no denying I was doubting the pick of Burrow based on his one year in college but more based on the Bengals inability to get shit right, but seriously, the kid has done nothing to really complain about since getting here.

Doesn't take moral victories, gets up after nasty hits, and after having a very nice game and finally a win to feel good about, we are picking about things???

I would guess... and I am not an NFL coach, but I would guess the hardest thing to get down is the timing on longer and deep throws. There was no Pre-Season. This is game four, and we finally get a win, be happy. If week 17 rolls around and the kid still doesn't have a completion over 20 yards...then yeah that is an issue, but for now enjoy the W. The O-line held up, Mixon went off, and Burrow was able to play without getting killed.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(10-04-2020, 08:54 PM)iLLuSi0nz Wrote: I was going to give a lengthy response and then I LOLed and realized this is either extreme trolling or someone is a bit salty from the Hebert highlights.

The highlights from the game Herbert LOST btw...

(10-04-2020, 08:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Joe Burrow is better than Average Andy but Peak Andy?  Sorry, not yet.  He’s not even better than Peak Carson.

In time Joe will be far better than both.

Well, peak AD was only average on his deep throws. Statistically, McCarron was better that year, though on much less attempts. 

Just for sheets and giggs, if you extrapolate Burrows current numbers, he's very close to peak AD, while being a rookie with no offseason or preseason. 

(10-04-2020, 08:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We should probably give him until game 5 to truly be elite don't you think ?

lol. This post so needs a sarcasm emoji.

(10-04-2020, 08:56 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Jesus...

Look there is no denying I was doubting the pick of Burrow based on his one year in college but more based on the Bengals inability to get shit right, but seriously, the kid has done nothing to really complain about since getting here.

Doesn't take moral victories, gets up after nasty hits, and after having a very nice game and finally a win to feel good about, we are picking about things???

I would guess... and I am not an NFL coach, but I would guess the hardest thing to get down is the timing on longer and deep throws. There was no Pre-Season. This is game four, and we finally get a win, be happy. If week 17 rolls around and the kid still doesn't have a completion over 20 yards...then yeah that is an issue, but for now enjoy the W. The O-line held up, Mixon went off, and Burrow was able to play without getting killed.

Yep
(10-04-2020, 09:00 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: lol. This post so needs a sarcasm emoji.

lol
(10-04-2020, 08:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: we can say that for every QB that has weapons.. bottom line.. Burrow has been horrible in down the field. if he does not get better.. he will be a solid QB not not Franchise.. do you agree with that ?

Are you serious? You gotta be a Dalton Lover. You just have to be..  Joe has gave every reason to make you believe he is a Franchise QB. WTF are you watching..
(10-04-2020, 09:00 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Well, peak AD was only average on his deep throws. Statistically, McCarron was better that year, though on much less attempts. 

Just for sheets and giggs, if you extrapolate Burrows current numbers, he's very close to peak AD, while being a rookie with no offseason or preseason. 

Not to mention on a team that won 2 games last year...

The deep ball is a great weapon to have and it's one of the most exciting things to see work in a game. Big-armed quarterbacks always seem like a great idea when you're building a team from rock bottom as the Bengals were this year. I think that the big-armed quarterback is one of the most overrated athletes in football, epescially at the NFL level.

You need a qb that can read a defense and go through progressions quickly and under pressure. He's the guy that finds the openings in the defense no matter what. That particular species of quarterback is lethal at the pro level. That's what Burrow appears to be. He finds the open receiver and connects. Our guys haven't been open as much on the deep routes. Separation is spotty to poor. They lack speed overall in the WR group.

Burrow is working with what he has now. With more time for routes to develop and some faster receivers, I think he'l be fine in time.
(10-04-2020, 09:05 PM)Tony Wrote: Are you serious? You gotta be a Dalton Lover. You just have to be..  Joe has gave every reason to make you believe he is a Franchise QB. WTF are you watching..

A lot of Justin Herbert apparently...

I think he just checks the box score for Burrow. Because it’s hard for me to believe anyone that actually watches him could be anything less than extremely impressed.

Question 
(10-04-2020, 08:27 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: He is already better than peak dalton

It’s hard for the dalton homers to deal with

(10-04-2020, 09:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: lol
I wish they would move on with him since 13... I waited forever to see Dalton gone. I was done after the Charger playoff game debacle.. Burrow is better right now than Dalton ever was.. I'd be willing to bet Dalton never had 3 300 games in a row in his career, let alone within his first 4 games. This thread is stupid..
(10-04-2020, 07:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: i believe he is 2 for 20 over 20 yds. throw... worst within the 32 teams.. Sad

That will improve. An improved OL will help. An improved running game will help.

(10-04-2020, 08:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: we can say that for every QB that has weapons.. bottom line.. Burrow has been horrible in down the field. if he does not get better.. he will be a solid QB not not Franchise.. do you agree with that ?

Hell no.  Can't figure out why you can't accept that he has been terrific.  Everybody else can.  I mean EVERYBODY.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(10-04-2020, 09:11 PM)Tony Wrote: ...Burrow is better right now than Dalton ever was...

Um, no. I’m happy we moved on from Dalton and I’m glad we drafted Burrow and very soon your statement WILL be true — but it’s not true yet. Burrow has a MUCH higher ceiling.