Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Burrow terrible down the field
(10-04-2020, 08:18 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: stats are stats.. he has had time down the field..sacked would not count anyway.. im sure you have watched every game and have to admit our down the field throws have sucked.. QB is the prime complaint.. like it or not.. you can;t get around again last in the league is what i heard...

Armchair psychologist:

Either you're upset we moved on from Andy, or you had some mock draft that didn't go your way.

Regardless, you clearly have an agenda, and from week to week have looked for reasons to diminish this kid's performance.
(10-04-2020, 08:15 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That one he threw to Higgins in the back corner when he was flushed out was ridiculous. I thought he was just throwning it away at first.

Right? That was a thing of beauty.

Imagine bitching about 30+ points and 300 yds...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

I feel like burrow is almost having as good a year as daltons best year as a Bengal.

If burrows receivers would not drop well placed balls.

This is a terrible thread. Tell me a rookie QB who throws deep balls perfectly straight out of college.
(10-04-2020, 08:25 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I feel like burrow is almost having as good a year as daltons best year as a Bengal.

This is a terrible thread. Tell me a rookie QB who throws deep balls perfectly straight out of college.

He is already better than peak dalton

It’s hard for the dalton homers to deal with
(10-04-2020, 08:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Armchair psychologist:

Either you're upset we moved on from Andy, or you had some mock draft that didn't go your way.

Regardless, you clearly have an agenda, and from week to week have looked for reasons to diminish this kid's performance.

Pretty obvious if you ask me...

(10-04-2020, 07:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: i believe he is 2 for 20 over 20 yds. throw... worst within the 32 teams.. Sad

Oh look. No surprise here. lulz

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(10-04-2020, 08:25 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I feel like burrow is almost having as good a year as daltons best year as a Bengal.

I mean, Essex is all over Herbert’s jock because of his deep ball, but if you watch the highlights his WR’s are running wide open on most of them. How often has Burrow had that?

(10-04-2020, 07:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I will agree i love his short passing but to be elite he got to make throws down the field... if not he is just a solid QB like many others not a franchise qb but he is  rookie so has time to move the bar

Everyone but you knows how well he is playing, especially under the circumstances. Everyone also knows that he is a franchise QB. Well, everyone but you. That says a lot about your "football knowledge". 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(10-04-2020, 08:27 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: He is already better than peak dalton

It’s hard for the dalton homers to deal with

Joe Burrow is better than Average Andy but Peak Andy? Sorry, not yet. He’s not even better than Peak Carson.

In time Joe will be far better than both.
(10-04-2020, 07:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I will agree i love his short passing but to be elite he got to make throws down the field... if not he is just a solid QB like many others not a franchise qb but he is  rookie so has time to move the bar

We should probably give him until game 5 to truly be elite don't you think ?
(10-04-2020, 08:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I mean, Essex is all over Herbert’s jock because of his deep ball, but if you watch the highlights his WR’s are running wide open on most of them. How often has Burrow had that?

Herbert also inherited a better football team, they just had problems with injuries and Rivers issues.
(10-04-2020, 07:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know man.  He threw 2 really well placed deep strikes, one to Higgins and the other to AJ.  If it were a game between two premier teams, I think that DPI could have easily been called on either or both of those plays.  Seeing it was a game between two bottom teams, I think they chose to hold the flags.

I was critical of his throw to Higgins. Thought he underthrew it. He def needs to connect more as he's missed a pretty good number of them. 

Short of that, he's been spectacular. This dude (the OP) has a megaboner for pointing out his shortcomings, comparing him to the previous QB and talking on and on about how great another team's QB is playing. 

(10-04-2020, 08:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We should probably give him until game 5 to truly be elite don't you think ?

Probably also would have liked to have a full training camp too.
(10-04-2020, 08:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Armchair psychologist:

Him and couple others.
(10-04-2020, 08:33 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Herbert also inherited a better football team, they just had problems with injuries and Rivers issues.

Yep. Chargers won a lot more games than the Bengals did last year, but hey why would context matter...

It’s all about “tHe DeEp bALL!!!”

(10-04-2020, 08:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Joe Burrow is better than Average Andy but Peak Andy?  Sorry, not yet.  He’s not even better than Peak Carson.

In time Joe will be far better than both.

You make that sound like peak Andy was better than peak Carson

Peak Carson Palmer was an elite level QB.  It's what ranked him anywhere from #3 to #5 almost universally in '05 and '06.

Peak Andy was basically regular Andy, just with better talent around him.  Just as bad Andy was basically regular Andy with worse talent around him.

Andy, IMHO, was always a middling talent.  Capable, decent, adequete.  Not at all bad things.  But at times Carson was a very special talent.

To each their own, I know some soured on him with the way things ended, but I think people forget just how good he was.  That, or they let the stats of years later shape their opinion. 

The game, along with the passing numbers, greatly changed by the time Andy came into the league.  You put an '05 Palmer on the '15 team, and he's probably throwing for 4,500 yards and 40 TD's.
As of Week Four yes, Justin Herbert has the best deep throws of the rookie quarterback class. This is not a surprise because that’s what he was known for at Oregon. His number one draft quality was arm strength.

Would I ever have drafted Herbert over Joe Burrow? Absolutely not! Long passes are great but they are the exception not the norm. Right now Cincinnati needs a Virgil Carter, not a Greg Cook. Until the offensive line consistently gives Burrow time to throw deep the last thing I’m concerned about is long passes. I’m happy Joe is an accurate game manager at this point in his career.
(10-04-2020, 07:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I remember this being a real bone of contention with a certain other QB. So it's funny to watch people justify it now. Cool

Early on, that QB got a lot of excuses too. It's natural in the beginning. In my mind, Burrow has missed a few that he was dropping in the bucket last year. 

Pressure, sure. Getting used to new receivers, sure. Better protection and more reps with these guys should clear it up and he will be doing that just as well as everything else.

(10-04-2020, 07:38 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: ....... is this really a discussion right now?

See; OP

That's your answer.

(10-04-2020, 08:39 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You make that sound like peak Andy was better than peak Carson

Peak Carson Palmer was an elite level QB.  It's what ranked him anywhere from #3 to #5 almost universally in '05 and '06.

Peak Andy was basically regular Andy, just with better talent around him.  Just as bad Andy was basically regular Andy with worse talent around him.

Andy, IMHO, was always a middling talent.  Capable, decent, adequete.  Not at all bad things.  But at times Carson was a very special talent.

To each their own, I know some soured on him with the way things ended, but I think people forget just how good he was.  That, or they let the stats of years later shape their opinion. 

The game, along with the passing numbers, greatly changed by the time Andy came into the league.  You put an '05 Palmer on the '15 team, and he's probably throwing for 4,500 yards and 40 TD's.

Honestly Palmer was right there with Brady and Manning in a tier by themselves before the injury.