Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow to start running
From Tyler Dragon:

'Joe Burrow is advancing to a new phase in his recovery process this month.

The Cincinnati Bengals quarterback is on track to begin running in February. His soft target date to start running is February 10, which will be exactly 10 weeks post left knee reconstructive surgery.

Light linear running is an important next step in Burrow’s rehab process.

Every meticulous rehab schedule is one step at a time. For Burrow, he’s approaching running for the first time since suffering a season-ending left knee injury in Week 11 versus the Washington Football Team.  

If all goes according to plan and Burrow has no setbacks doing light running drills, he can begin throwing at the 12-week mark. Burrow will reach 12 weeks post-surgery on Feb. 24.' 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2021/02/09/joe-burrow-cincinnati-bengals-qb-new-phase-injury-recovery/4449361001/
Reply/Quote
Quote:In addition to rehabbing his surgically-repaired knee, Burrow wants to increase his overall strength.

“I think about gaining muscle and getting stronger,” Burrow said. “Staying lean is big so I can stay mobile. Getting stronger is more so the goal than gaining weight.”

The 6-foot-4, 221-pound quarterback hopes his time spent in the weight room will increase his arm strength in Year 2.

Burrow was sharp in the intermediate and short pass game. However, he was just 9-for-48 on passes beyond 20 yards in his rookie season. He averaged 6.7 yards per pass attempt which ranked near the bottom of the league.

The Bengals and Burrow want to create more explosive plays in his second season. A second season in which Burrow hopes he plays every game. There is growing optimism that he be on the field in Week 1, but the Bengals and Burrow are planning to be diligent throughout the quarterback’s entire rehab process.

Bigger, stronger, better......
Reply/Quote
I read the thread title and just assumed it was going to be about Burrow running more due to the lack of an O-line...

This however is good news. Much needed on this snowy day.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not sure how accurate this is in pertaining to Joe, but if someone wants a lengthy-read that's a bit difficult, this is a good resource on the rehab process (it is 3 years old almost, so it may even be a touch outdated):

https://footballmedicine.net/acl-rehabilitation-when-should-athletes-start-running/
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Well since his doctor who did the surgery and the Bengals doctors are more than likely involved in the training regimen, this is awesome news. Every knee injury is different so while I explain what I went through I am no way saying the 2 situations are the same, in fact just the opposite as I know he is younger and stronger with access to better rehab equipment.

If he is at this stage (I know as I tore my ACL, MCL and both meniscus at age 40), then it means he went through phase one well. In phase one, they focus on movement of the knee and do this by controlling swelling and focused exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee.

I was an old guy (but still playing basketball and softball), but he is way further ahead of where I was doing my 5 days a week of 1 hour therapy and then working on my own at home 1 to hours a day. Of course, he has better equipment, but it also tells us he has a big heart and work ethic as it is a painful process the first 10 weeks.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 06:39 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well since his doctor who did the surgery and the Bengals doctors are more than likely involved in the training regimen, this is awesome news. Every knee injury is different so while I explain what I went through I am no way saying the 2 situations are the same, in fact just the opposite as I know he is younger and stronger with access to better rehab equipment.

If he is at this stage (I know as I tore my ACL, MCL and both meniscus at age 40), then it means he went through phase one well. In phase one, they focus on movement of the knee and do this by controlling swelling and focused exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee.

I was an old guy (but still playing basketball and softball), but he is way further ahead of where I was doing my 5 days a week of 1 hour therapy and then working on my own at home 1 to hours a day. Of course, he has better equipment, but it also tells us he has a big heart and work ethic as it is a painful process the first 10 weeks.

I suspect JB sees anything less than starting opening day as a failure.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 06:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I suspect JB sees anything less than starting opening day as a failure.

If we have the same shit O-line, starting on opening day will be a failure.

With the effort Burrow is putting in to coming back, the team needs to match that effort in building a line to protect him.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 07:14 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If we have the same shit O-line, starting on opening day will be a failure.

With the effort Burrow is putting in to coming back, the team needs to match that effort in building a line to protect him.

Burrow probably understands he doesn’t run the team. He controls what he can control. He’s not like coach deshawn Watson over in Houston.

So no.. starting opening day is not a failure for Burrow even with the same O-line...
Reply/Quote
Not trying to rain on people's parade, but, as a person that has had a minor knee surgery, this is nothing. When he can start cutting and performing spin moves is when he's getting close to back to normal. Like they said in the OP, this is an important step in the process. Straight line running is just a step up from walking. Good for him but he still has a ways to go.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 08:59 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Not trying to rain on people's parade, but, as a person that has had a minor knee surgery, this is nothing. When he can start cutting and performing spin moves is when he's getting close to back to normal. Like they said in the OP, this is an important step in the process. Straight line running is just a step up from walking. Good for him but he still has a ways to go.

[Image: SIOecIDH.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Oh, that's right. I forgot how thenthitive you get when people don't cradle Burrow's balls when stroking his shaft. My apologies, Nancy.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 07:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Burrow probably understands he doesn’t run the team. He controls what he can control. He’s not like coach deshawn Watson over in Houston.

So no.. starting opening day is not a failure for Burrow even with the same O-line...

Id imagine Watson accepting that he can't control the Texans is what led to him wanting out. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 10:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Id imagine Watson accepting that he can't control the Texans is what led to him wanting out. 

Bummer he didn’t realize that before signing his monster contract...
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 10:17 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Bummer he didn’t realize that before signing his monster contract...

True, he probably thought it couldn't get any worse after the whole Hopkins trade debacle. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 10:07 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Oh, that's right. I forgot how thenthitive you get when people don't cradle Burrow's balls when stroking his shaft. My apologies, Nancy.

What year is this? Are you really insulting me by calling me a woman?

Reply/Quote
That boy's gonna be under center week 1... Hopefully behind a nicely overhauled O line.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 10:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: True, he probably thought it couldn't get any worse after the whole Hopkins trade debacle. 

I guess my main issue is that he turned whiney after 1 bad year.

Guys like Phillip Rivers, Matt Ryan and Eli Manning stuck with their teams through some bad seasons. I have more respect for those guys. DW is extremely talented but showing out like Wentz IMO.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 11:23 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I guess my main issue is that he turned whiney after 1 bad year.

Guys like Phillip Rivers, Matt Ryan and Eli Manning stuck with their teams through some bad seasons. I have more respect for those guys. DW is extremely talented but showing out like Wentz IMO.

Eli Manning forced a trade before ever taking a snap in the NFL.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 11:48 PM)jason Wrote: Eli Manning forced a trade before ever taking a snap in the NFL.

Nah, his dad did. Once he was a Giant he remained faithful through a lot of bad seasons.

At least he demanded to not be somewhere BEFORE signing the contract. More respectable in my eyes.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 10:07 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Oh, that's right. I forgot how thenthitive you get when people don't cradle Burrow's balls when stroking his shaft. My apologies, Nancy.

Yo, who pissed in your Wheaties?
Reply/Quote