Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow vs. The Red Rifle
(12-08-2019, 12:06 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So what happens when we take Burrow and have the #1 pick again next year?

Do you pass on the more elite QB prospect in 2021? Just saying, your logic says take the QB when you can, so do we go the Browns route?

If you trade out of 1 this year, you'll get another #1 next year so you'll have the picks to move up and get Lawrence

The Lawrence hype was way down last time I checked idk why you’re convinced he’s a better prospect than Burrow. Burrow is literally setting records in the best conference.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 12:06 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So what happens when we take Burrow and have the #1 pick again next year?

Do you pass on the more elite QB prospect in 2021? Just saying, your logic says take the QB when you can, so do we go the Browns route?

If you trade out of 1 this year, you'll get another #1 next year so you'll have the picks to move up and get Lawrence

I love when fans say "TRADE DOWN" like that's the magic cure, not to mention you have to have someone willing to do so.  Who is trading up in your scenario?
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 12:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Lawrence hype was way down last time I checked idk why you’re convinced he’s a better prospect than Burrow. Burrow is literally setting records in the best conference.

Lawrence will be in his 3rd year as a starter and done nothing but win??? Not sure why anyone would be down on him, everything I see and read says he is the best draft prospect at QB since Andrew Luck.

As for the records, he is breaking records of Drew Lock, who was not #1 overall, and Danny Wuerffel and Aaron Murray. Lots of Canton like names there....

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/sec/leaders/pass-td-player-season.html

Outside of Peyton Manning, any name on the top 15 impress anyone?

sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/sec/leaders/pass-yds-player-season.html

How about this list?? Johnny Football baby!! Tim Couch, Chad Kelly and Rex Grossman.

I'm not saying the kid isn't good, but he isn't the answer for this team at this point that is my honest belief. We have better options for the long term success of this team.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 12:21 AM)RiverRat13 Wrote: I love when fans say "TRADE DOWN" like that's the magic cure, not to mention you have to have someone willing to do so.  Who is trading up in your scenario?

Miami and Tampa both are looking for QB's. And there is seldom a lack of interest in the Number 1 over all pick, I'm pretty sure there are teams willing to jump ahead of the Giants to get Chase Young.

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 12:30 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Lawrence will be in his 3rd year as a starter and done nothing but win??? Not sure why anyone would be down on him, everything I see and read says he is the best draft prospect at QB since Andrew Luck.

As for the records, he is breaking records of Drew Lock, who was not #1 overall, and Danny Wuerffel and Aaron Murray. Lots of Canton like names there....

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/sec/leaders/pass-td-player-season.html

Outside of Peyton Manning, any name on the top 15 impress anyone?

sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/sec/leaders/pass-yds-player-season.html

How about this list?? Johnny Football baby!! Tim Couch, Chad Kelly and Rex Grossman.

I'm not saying the kid isn't good, but he isn't the answer for this team at this point that is my honest belief. We have better options for the long term success of this team.

I say again Trevor Lawrence isn't a 2020 prospect and there is no guarentee they will even have a chance at him in 2021.

We are talking about the Quarterback Joe Burrow. What about him says you cant build a team around him? You have literally avoided any discussion about Joe Burrow.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 12:31 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Miami and Tampa both are looking for QB's. And there is seldom a lack of interest in the Number 1 over all pick, I'm pretty sure there are teams willing to jump ahead of the Giants to get Chase Young.

Miami has just as many holes as the Bengals.  Why would they give up assets they worked hard to get to move up for a (in your mind) pedestrian Burrow?  Why couldn't they tank again for Lawrence?
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 12:33 AM)Synric Wrote: I say again Trevor Lawrence isn't a 2020 prospect and there is no guarentee they will even have a chance at him in 2021.

We are talking about the Quarterback Joe Burrow. What about him says you cant build a team around him? You have literally avoided any discussion about Joe Burrow.

Yep. He’s just dead set on Lawrence, it’s pretty clear cat this point.

Reply/Quote
Lawrence may not even declare for the draft for another 2 years. He's just a sophomore and he may be one of those guys that wants to graduate. Then there's the fact that you never know what can happen on any given weekend. You don't need to look any further than what happened to Tua this year. In one play, the whole #Tank4Tua thing completely blew up. Then there's the fact that he's not playing as well as he did last year, so I'm not exactly sure why people are still messing their shorts over him like he's the second coming. And to cap it all off, we may not even be in a position to take him, whenever he decides to declare.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 12:33 AM)Synric Wrote: I say again Trevor Lawrence isn't a 2020 prospect and there is no guarentee they will even have a chance at him in 2021.

I'm against SEC QBs in general.

Outside of the Mannings, can you name an SEC QB in the past 10 years worth a damn? Every can't miss prospect from the SEC at QB actually does seem to miss. Mallet flamed out, Harrington, Stafford has never matched the hype or led the Lions anywhere, Cam Newton is vastly over rated.

I follow the trends, I am not loyal to any one school, conference or prospect, but I will say that I do not see the hype of Joe Burrow. He is having a great season, cool, so did many an SEC QB before him who looked just as good...and they aren't in the NFL now.

This is pointless though, you kids are set on Burrow, cool hopefully the front office does what it normally does and ignores most of the fans, because in the long run, we'll be better for it.

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 12:55 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Lawrence may not even declare for the draft for another 2 years. He's just a sophomore and he may be one of those guys that wants to graduate. Then there's the fact that you never know what can happen on any given weekend. You don't need to look any further than what happened to Tua this year. In one play, the whole #Tank4Tua thing completely blew up. Then there's the fact that he's not playing as well as he did last year, so I'm not exactly sure why people are still messing their shorts over him like he's the second coming. And to cap it all off, we may not even be in a position to take him, whenever he decides to declare.

All true.

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 12:55 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'm against SEC QBs in general.

Outside of the Mannings, can you name an SEC QB in the past 10 years worth a damn? Every can't miss prospect from the SEC at QB actually does seem to miss. Mallet flamed out, Harrington, Stafford has never matched the hype or led the Lions anywhere, Cam Newton is vastly over rated.

I follow the trends, I am not loyal to any one school, conference or prospect, but I will say that I do not see the hype of Joe Burrow. He is having a great season, cool, so did many an SEC QB before him who looked just as good...and they aren't in the NFL now.

This is pointless though, you kids are set on Burrow, cool hopefully the front office does what it normally does and ignores most of the fans, because in the long run, we'll be better for it.

Bla bla bla.

You cannot say do not take this player if you cannot actually discuss him as a prospect. You should probably head back to Jungle Noise...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Cam won an MVP and took his team to a SB. If that’s “overrated” I’ll take it.

Reply/Quote
Basically, nobody should be seriously talking about Trevor Lawrence until at least January 2020, and that's a considerable amount of time from now. And again, that's assuming he even comes out early.

Maybe this team is picking top 10 again next year, or even the year after. Maybe not. Either way, you don't pass on taking a potential franchise QB this year when you're wielding the #1 or #2 overall pick. Take the guy now when you know you can. If Taylor thinks Burrow is the guy, take him and build from there.

Hell, they could trade Andy Dalton for a 2nd round pick and we could end up with two second rounders.

Round 1: QB
Round 2: OL/LB

And we get Williams back from injury. Look at that, already moving in the right direction.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 10:34 PM)Synric Wrote: These are excuses and not actually reviewing what a player has put on tape.

Exactly. If you watch what he does, there's no way you make those comparisons. lol I'm watching the replay right now and he just side stepped, stepped up, couldn't find anyone and weeded through the mess for a 17 yard gain with Bulldogs chasing him and they still didn't touch him by the time he went out of bounds. That's not even touching on a previous play where he started to throw to 2 different receivers before letting it go to his 3rd option. Hell, the announcers are pointing out, in detail, all the things he's doing. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 11:33 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Simple question.

Which is better, Lawrence or Burrow?

Cause trading down this year puts you in position to get a solid line men this year and move up and get the elite QB next year, but hey like I said go the Giants route and take Burrow and then next year when we are picking 1 again we can pass on the better QB since we went there this year. It is a great strategy to stay under 500

If Lawrence is a Luck type guy...whoever has that pick is NOT going to trade out of it. Period. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 11:38 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: He was considered one of the top 3 last year... like this year it was Tua, Burrow and Herbert.

I just can't believe any of you watch this team each week and honestly think Burrow is the answer... do you not see Bobby Hart out there and the shit show at guard??

Why would we not position ourselves to take a position of need this year and let a vet drive the ship for a year as the line grows and then get the Blue chip guy next year??

You guys act like we get Burrow and suddenly we can compete with Baltimore and Pitt and KC and New England. 

You're the only one thinking the Bengals get Burrow and no one else and are supposed to compete immediately. 

That's not how it works. You get the QB and build around him from there. It's easier to build around a QB than it is to build a team and get a QB like Burrow. 

Reply/Quote

Harrington played at Oregon, which is not an SEC school.

This is a list of the NFL Records Stafford holds....

NFL records
  • Most passing touchdowns in a single game by a rookie quarterback: 5 (tied with Ray BuividJameis Winston, and Deshaun Watson)[170]
  • Youngest quarterback to throw 5 or more touchdowns in a single game (21 years, 288 days)
  • First player in NFL history to complete 60% or more of all passes in each game in a season (2015)
  • Most games with at least one touchdown pass in a season: 16 (2011, tied NFL record)
  • Most consecutive 350+ yards passing games: 4 (2011–2012, tied with Drew Brees)[171]
  • Most passing yards thrown for in a single game without a touchdown pass: (443, December 22, 2012 against the Atlanta Falcons)[172]
  • Most passing attempts in a season: 727 (2012)[173]
  • Most pass attempts per game, career: 39.88, 2009–present[174]
  • Most pass attempts per game, season: 45.44, 2012[175]
  • Most games with 40+ pass attempts in a season: 13 (2012)[176]
  • Fastest player to reach 15,000 career passing yards (53 games played)
  • Fastest player to reach 20,000 career passing yards (71 games played)
  • Fastest player to reach 25,000 career passing yards (90 games played)
  • Fastest player to reach 30,000 career passing yards (109 games played)[177]
  • Fastest player to reach 40,000 career passing yards (147 games played)[165]
  • Fastest player to reach 3,000 completions (125 games played)
  • Most passing yards in first 100 games (27,890) [178]
  • Most fourth quarter comebacks in a season: 8 (2016)
  • Most game-winning drives in a single season: 8 (2016)
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 11:13 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So the New York Giants strategy from last year... good plan. 2 wins would be better then 1, since that is what taking the QB got them.

How the hell can anyone look at this team and think Burrow makes a difference. 

We need 3 starting offensive linemen.

Atleast 1 starting LB.

Another WR since AJ is a free agent. 

But, let's do the Klingler thing again. And the Daniel Jones move..

Get the QB and stick him on a shit team where he gets killed so we need a new one in 2 years. Love this plan, I'm sold, draft him so we can suck for 10 years again 
Even if you could trade for more picks it's unlikely you get enough holes filled to make a much difference. The FO has missed on the draft the last few years and not participating in free agency only makes things worse. Keeping Andy(fetal position) Dalton. AJ(crutches) Green,Cordy (believe me I have a concussion) Glenn, and John(I'm fast but cant last) Ross only means more of the same Take the 40 million saved from parting ways with these players and spend it to create a new team.  If the team truly wants to win they take Burrow and move on from this team and start the rebuild. 
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 12:21 AM)RiverRat13 Wrote: I love when fans say "TRADE DOWN" like that's the magic cure, not to mention you have to have someone willing to do so.  Who is trading up in your scenario?

Whole lot of teams are QB needy. Fins, Chargers, Broncos, Colts, Giants, Lions, Panthers, Bucs all could pull the trigger for a QB of the future.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 01:59 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Exactly. If you watch what he does, there's no way you make those comparisons. lol I'm watching the replay right now and he just side stepped, stepped up, couldn't find anyone and weeded through the mess for a 17 yard gain with Bulldogs chasing him and they still didn't touch him by the time he went out of bounds. That's not even touching on a previous play where he started to throw to 2 different receivers before letting it go to his 3rd option. Hell, the announcers are pointing out, in detail, all the things he's doing. 

There was a play where Burrow took the snap and immediately started moving to the left because he knew there was a blitz on the right and needed to buy an extra second to make a 8 yard throw for a first down. That's NFL level understanding.

Reply/Quote