Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow vs. The Red Rifle
(12-08-2019, 12:06 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So what happens when we take Burrow and have the #1 pick again next year?

Do you pass on the more elite QB prospect in 2021? Just saying, your logic says take the QB when you can, so do we go the Browns route?

If you trade out of 1 this year, you'll get another #1 next year so you'll have the picks to move up and get Lawrence

Too many ifs in your scenario. What if Lawrence doesn't come out next year? What if the team that has that pick is totally intent on drafting him? What if another team can offer more than Mike " Silas "Brown is willing to give up? What if he gets hurt like Tua? When opportunity knocks you have to answer. The only problem is when it knocks MB almost always goes to the wrong door.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 09:13 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Whole lot of teams are QB needy. Fins, Chargers, Broncos, Colts, Giants, Lions, Panthers, Bucs all could pull the trigger for a QB of the future.

And how many of those have the needed ammunition to trade up to 1.1?  Miami is pretty much it.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 10:28 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Burrow had more then one year, but he is like Trubisky in the fact that prior to the season he wasn't listed as the top QB, he was 3rd if not 4th even 5th in some circles. He is coming off a year in 2018 with a 57% completion rate before stepping up this season.

I just really worry this guy is David Carr, JaMarcus Russell, etc.

One year of great success, I'd just prefer to wait and get a guy who has started for several years.

He might be listed as a better prospect now, but as I said above he wasn't rated as the top QB till near the end of this season and Tua's injury helped lock him in.

It also worries me that the guy couldn't beat out J.T. Barrett or Dwayne Haskins for the starting job. If those two are both better then he is, then he isn't worth the top pick over all.

I am going to get slaughtered for this, but Brady couldn't beat out Drew Henson at Michigan.  I think what makes Burrow special is his intangibles...his vision, pocket awareness, and determination.  I am starting to warm up to the pick, and now I bet the Bengals blow it and win too many games to get him.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 09:25 AM)Synric Wrote: There was a play where Burrow took the snap and immediately started moving to the left because he knew there was a blitz on the right and needed to buy an extra second to make a 8 yard throw for a first down. That's NFL level understanding.

Yeah, but...Akili Smith!!!!   Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 11:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am going to get slaughtered for this, but Brady couldn't beat out Drew Henson at Michigan.  I think what makes Burrow special is his intangibles...his vision, pocket awareness, and determination.  I am starting to warm up to the pick, and now I bet the Bengals blow it and win too many games to get him. 

They will, he'll end up in the HoF and then it will be just another player for future Bengals fans to look back on and say "what if". 

Depressing, no?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 02:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They will, he'll end up in the HoF and then it will be just another player for future Bengals fans to look back on and say "what if". 

Depressing, no?

Joe Burrow could end up with one of the most story book careers ever.

Ohio kid that barely had any recruiting offers ends up at Ohio State who passes him over a couple times then forced to tranfer to LSU. After a mediocre year in an antiquated offense scheme LSU builds around Burrow and he becomes the Heisman Winner. He ends up beating the team that passed him over Ohio State in the National Championship. Then from being a Bayou Bengal to going home to Ohio to be a Cincinnati Bengal at #1OA....and eventually leads them to the promise land!
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I don’t care for any of the QB’s this year. Fix the lines please.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 02:39 PM)Synric Wrote: Joe Burrow could end up with one of the most story book careers ever.

Ohio kid that barely had any recruiting offers ends up at Ohio State who passes him over a couple times then forced to tranfer to LSU. After a mediocre year in an antiquated offense scheme LSU builds around Burrow and he becomes the Heisman Winner. He ends up beating the team that passed him over Ohio State in the National Championship. Then from being a Bayou Bengal to going home to Ohio to be a Cincinnati Bengal at #1OA....and eventually leads them to the promise land!

I like this scenario better than mine. 

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 11:12 AM)RiverRat13 Wrote: And how many of those have the needed ammunition to trade up to 1.1?  Miami is pretty much it.

The Fins make the most sense but it depends on what you call ammunition. I would think a combination of picks and players would make sense if they didn't have to move back too far. 
Reply/Quote
I'm leery on Burrow. I feel like we have no choice, but to draft him though. I think Joe knows where to go with the football similar to Tom Brady. I'm just not sure about him though. He could be the next Ryan Leaf, who knows.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 12:06 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So what happens when we take Burrow and have the #1 pick again next year?

Do you pass on the more elite QB prospect in 2021? Just saying, your logic says take the QB when you can, so do we go the Browns route?

If you trade out of 1 this year, you'll get another #1 next year so you'll have the picks to move up and get Lawrence

What happens if you don't take Burrow, stick with Andy or sign a vet that wins enough games to take you out of the Lawrence sweepstakes because the team picking 1st overall next year needs a franchise QB far more than the extra picks you gained by trading down this year?

In that scenario, you've passed on one potential franchise QB in Burrow and have zero opportunity to get another one in Lawrence. That's a huge gamble I don't think this franchise is in any position to take, and I think they would be insane to do so.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 11:17 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: What happens if you don't take Burrow, stick with Andy or sign a vet that wins enough games to take you out of the Lawrence sweepstakes because the team picking 1st overall next year needs a franchise QB far more than the extra picks you gained by trading down this year?

In that scenario, you've passed on one potential franchise QB in Burrow and have zero opportunity to get another one in Lawrence. That's a huge gamble I don't think this franchise is in any position to take, and I think they would be insane to do so.

Who says we can't get a QB through the draft even if it's not first Overall? The three youngest best QBs in the NFL have all been drafted after the top 5. Jackson 32, Mahomes 9th, and Watson 12th overall.

Hell Kirk Cousins was drafted in the 4th, Jimmy G was drafted in the late 2nd, Prescott was drafted in the 4th and Wilson was drafted in the third. 
Hell Brady, Brees, and Rodgers were all late first and later and have been the best QBs for the past decade.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 01:55 AM)J24 Wrote: Who says we can't get a QB through the draft even if it's not first Overall? The three youngest best QBs in the NFL have all been drafted after the top 5. Jackson 32, Mahomes 9th, and Watson 12th overall.

Hell Kirk Cousins was drafted in the 4th, Jimmy G was drafted in the late 2nd, Prescott was drafted in the 4th and Wilson was drafted in the third. 
Hell Brady, Brees, and Rodgers were all late first and later and have been the best QBs for the past decade.

You trust our scouts to take one of the less well known guys? I don’t. They just drafted a QB in Finley that doesn’t even belong in the league.

Everyone and their brother knows Burrow is the real deal.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 09:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You trust our scouts to take one of the less well known guys? I don’t. They just drafted a QB in Finley that doesn’t even belong in the league.

Everyone and their brother knows Burrow is the real deal.

How so? Are you from the future? I agree that he is an excellent prospect but saying he is  the real deal is a bit much at this point. 
J24

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 03:10 PM)J24 Wrote: How so? Are you from the future? I agree that he is an excellent prospect but saying he is  the real deal is a bit much at this point. 

Do you even watch the footballing that is going on in your TV machine?

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 12:55 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'm against SEC QBs in general.

Outside of the Mannings, can you name an SEC QB in the past 10 years worth a damn? Every can't miss prospect from the SEC at QB actually does seem to miss. Mallet flamed out, Harrington, Stafford has never matched the hype or led the Lions anywhere, Cam Newton is vastly over rated.

I follow the trends, I am not loyal to any one school, conference or prospect, but I will say that I do not see the hype of Joe Burrow. He is having a great season, cool, so did many an SEC QB before him who looked just as good...and they aren't in the NFL now.

This is pointless though, you kids are set on Burrow, cool hopefully the front office does what it normally does and ignores most of the fans, because in the long run, we'll be better for it.

Here are all of the QBs drafted in the SEC, since 2009 (note; Harrington went to Oregon):

2009:

- Stafford (underrated, great arm, surrounded by a shit team his entire career; only truly bad year was his rookie year).
- Stephen McGee (backup; always was, always will be, though has decent numbers in limited play).

2010:

- Tebow (despite how poor he really was, he won games lol and has more TDs than picks).
- Johnathon Crompton (no idea who he is).

2011:

- Cam (as much as I loathe him, he is one of the best players of the decade and has accomplished everything, aside from a championship).
- Gabbert (bust. Plain and simple).
- Mallet (not great).
- McElroy (Was always a backup and we knew it).

2012:

- Tannehill (not bad at all, especially seeing as how well he's playing outside of Miami).

2013:

- Tyler Wilson (who knows what happened to him; injury or what, we aren't sure).

2014:

- Manziel (Bust. Plain and simple).
- Aaron Murray (never made the grade).
- Macaroni (a good backup, middling to poor starter)
- Mettenberger (had all the tools in terms of arm talent, couldn't do anything with it)

2015:

- no one

2016:

- Prescott (inconsistencies aside, he has done VERY well in this league. Yes, I know he has a great line).
- Brandon Allen (playing with a shit team and his first action, he did not badly this year).

2017:

- Josh Dobbs (hasn't really been given a chance. Still think he'll be a good backup).
- Chad Kelly (loser).

2018:

- Danny Etling (no clue what's up with him).

2019:

- Drew Lock (looks great so far).
- Jarred Stidham (backup and always will be).

So looking at this list, there are definitely more poor ones than there are great ones, but the great ones are VERY good.

The Big 12 pales in comparison, for example, though they have more, "starters," than the SEC.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 03:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Do you even watch the footballing that is going on in your TV machin
What did I say that was anti Burrow? Honestly performing at the level he is in the SEC is very impressive. He will win the Heisman and be a top 5 pick in the draft but acting like anyone who has questions about him is stupid is actually well quite stupid.
J24

Reply/Quote
If we have the #1 overall pick you take the #1 QB prospect. Is that Burrow? Some will say yes and some will say no, but whoever is #1 you take them. IF he doesn't workout you take another one next year. Use FA to fill your holes.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 03:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If we have the #1 overall pick you take the #1 QB prospect. Is that Burrow? Some will say yes and some will say no, but whoever is #1 you take them. IF he doesn't workout you take another one next year. Use FA to fill your holes.

Who would possibly say Burrow isn’t the best QB prospect at this point?

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 04:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Who would possibly say Burrow isn’t the best QB prospect at this point?

1.) How does Tua medical records turn out; if he is healthy or teams think he will be healthy then he might very well jump ahead of Burrow.
2.) Burrow is having a great season ( probably the best in my lifetime) no doubt. But how are is physical skills compared to others and how does he handle the interview process during the combine.
We're still very early in the process a lot can happen between now and April.
J24

Reply/Quote