Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bye Bye Marvin
I did a thread very similar on the Mother Ship a few years ago. Update

Marvin Lewis vs. Pittsburgh

ML is 2-13 against the Steelers at PBS - two wins in our house in 15 tries. Pathetic
ML is 8-21 overall against the Steelers, nearly every win we have against the Steelers have come in years when Pittsburgh didn't make the playoffs. So the can't win against the good teams continues here as well.

Grade = F

Marvin Lewis in Prime Time

ML is 9-21 in Prime Time, 6 of our PT wins have come against teams with losing records for that season. We've won 3 games in PT against teams with winning records on that season. (Broncos twice) IF Miami finishes winning it will be 4. Pathetic

Grade = D

Another Metric

ML has only swept the Browns 5 times in 13 seasons. The Ravens including this season have swept them 9 times during the same period, including this season. The Steelers have swept them 9 times, most likely will be 10 after final game this season. In 6 of the seasons the Browns have finished with 5 wins or less and we contributed to the win total by playing down to their level. I wouldn't doubt at all that it continues this season. Pathetic

Playoffs

0-7

In the playoffs we've been outscored 176-83 (7 points to L. Hall pick six)
We've scored a grand total of 29 points in the all the 2nd halves combined. Average of 4.1 points per 2nd half

We're averaging scoring 11.8 points per game. We're averaging giving up 25.1 points per game. One could go on and on with the abysmal stats but the point is - Pathetic

Grade = F

HC Comparison for ML     I kept this to coaches who started no later than 2008

John Harbaugh .602 winning % 10-5 in the playoffs, AFC Championship, SB win, has been in 3 AFC Championship games.

Mike McCarthy .653 winning % 8-7 in the playoffs  NFC Championship, SB win, has been in 3 NFC Championship games.

Mike Tomlin .639 winning % 6-5 in the playoffs 2 AFC Championships, SB win, been in 2 super bowls

Bill Belichick .664 winning % 23-10 in the playoffs 6 AFC Championships, 4 SB wins, etc. etc.

[b]Marvin Lewis .549 winning %   0-7 in the playoffs

Pathetic

Grade = F-

In closing, if Marvin Lewis is still here as Head Coach next season I'm not gonna be. Enough is enough ! I'm not quitting on the Bengals, the team I've been with for 40+ years. I'm quitting on Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis. I've had enough !

When they're gone I'll get back in the saddle

[/b]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You're missing the most important grade.

Brown family accountability for underperformance: F-
Reply/Quote
I must ask why in the heck is he still here? Wait, Mike Brown.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 10:45 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I must ask why in the heck is he still here? Wait, Mike Brown.

OP- I have been following them loyally since 1967 and I cold not agree more with your sentiment.

He should have been fired after the playoff meltdown last year.

No other NFL coach will go 0-7 in playoffs for the same team. Marvin sets a record that will never be broken!
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 10:51 AM)bengals67 Wrote: OP- I have been following them loyally since 1967 and I cold not agree more with your sentiment.

He should have been fired after the playoff meltdown last year.

No other NFL coach will go 0-7 in playoffs for the same team. Marvin sets a record that will never be broken!

Well to be fair Jeff Fisher hasn't been to the playoffs in a decade and has the most losses ever for a head coach but somehow remains employed. Those two have a magical power of staying employed...it would be impressive if it wasn't so sad.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 10:29 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote:

In closing, if Marvin Lewis is still here as Head Coach next season I'm not gonna be.

Of course you aren't. If Marvin is here as head coach, nobody can be head coach.

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 11:01 AM)Au165 Wrote: Well to be fair Jeff Fisher hasn't been to the playoffs in a decade and has the most losses ever for a head coach but somehow remains employed. Those two have a magical power of staying employed...it would be impressive if it wasn't so sad.

No other college or pro football team ( and no organization based upon equivalent metrics) would keep a coach who was 0-7 in playoffs.

How much evidence do you need to see to understand that Marvin is not going to produce a playoff winning team?
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 11:09 AM)bengals67 Wrote: No other college or pro football team ( and no organization based upon equivalent metrics) would keep a coach who was 0-7 in playoffs.

How much evidence do you need to see to understand that Marvin is not going to produce a playoff winning team?

How many losses does Jeff Fisher need to know he shouldn't be a head coach? Some people are dumb....and sometimes those people own football teams.

My point wasn't to defend Marvin it was to group the horrible Fisher in there with him.
Reply/Quote
I think my favorite Marv moment from the last game was when he called timeout after converting a close 3rd down to give the Ravens time to think about if they should challenge it or not. He's such a great guy. :andy:
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I think I know the answer to this, but not certain. I know that if Brown fires Marvin he gets paid the final year of his contract. If he quits, he loses that money, correct?
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 11:28 AM)Au165 Wrote: How many losses does Jeff Fisher need to know he shouldn't be a head coach? Some people are dumb....and sometimes those people own football teams.

My point wasn't to defend Marvin it was to group the horrible Fisher in there with him.

Fair point. Let's not fire Marvin and hire Fisher
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 10:45 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I must ask why in the heck is he still here? Wait, Mike Brown.

Mike Brown hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years. Marvin was here, what half of that time.

26+ years.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 11:43 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: I think my favorite Marv moment from the last game was when he called timeout after converting a close 3rd down to give the Ravens time to think about if they should challenge it or not. He's such a great guy.  :andy:

I am pretty sure that Dalton called the time out because our freaking offense is not organized.  I think we lacked a player on the field.

But this is consistent with our pathetic "two minute drill" where we always take 30 second at least to get a play called and the ball snapped. This lack of organization dates back to the Palmer days.

College teams get plays off in ten seconds when they are in their two minute drill. Under Marvin, the Bengals have never been able to do this.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 11:47 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Fair point. Let's not fire Marvin and hire Fisher

That could literally be the funniest and saddest thing I have ever witnessed if it occurred.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 11:50 AM)bengals67 Wrote: I am pretty sure that Dalton called the time out because our freaking offense is not organized.  I think we lacked a player on the field.

But this is consistent with our pathetic "two minute drill" where we always take 30 second at least to get a play called and the ball snapped. This lack of organization dates back to the Palmer days.

College teams get plays off in ten seconds when they are in their two minute drill. Under Marvin, the Bengals have never been able to do this.

Could have been Dalton, but Marvin has a long history of not having anything near good situational awareness.  His in game coaching is abysmal ! The lack of discipline, accountability, not being prepared, craps his pants in the clutch, deer in the head lights, etc. is a long running fact.

He tries to sit on 10 point leads in the 2nd quarter, you could go on and on.

I respect Marvin for bringing this team out of the dark ages. But it's clear beyond any shadow of a doubt that he's incapable of coaching this team to the next level.

These players deserve more, we deserve more. It's time to thank him and move on.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 11:48 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Mike Brown hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years. Marvin was here, what half of that time.

26+ years.

We all know that's the bigger issue, but there's zero hope of changing that.
Reply/Quote
It is time !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Any other owner would've fired him after 2008 and arguably even after 2007. If not those, ESPECIALLY after 2010 AND 2015's meltdown. You could argue 2013 as well.

The common factor? Mikey Brown don't care cause he's making $$.
Reply/Quote
Mods, how about a Mega Thread for Marvin Lewis.

This here is getting way beyond redundant!!

No matter how many times it's said, and everyone who knows the team, knows Lewis stays until Lewis leaves.

Why do we keep seeing these threads??

The only 2 questions should be, and they will be answered sooner or later;

1. Does Marvin retire this year?
2. If not, does he get extended?

Stay tuned, I can promise you both questions will be answered before the draft.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 11:54 AM)Au165 Wrote: That could literally be the funniest and saddest thing I have ever witnessed if it occurred.

......even Fisher has been to a Super Bowl. :paul:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote