Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bye Coach Taylor
(09-14-2020, 08:34 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Probably shouldn’t be using 2nd round picks on TE’s and WR’s when you have a OL that bad...

Or if you do decide to do that then sign some free agents like Jason Peters and Larry Watford in the off-season instead of either being delusional or exposing yourself as a horrible talent evaluators by thinking that this steaming pile of garbage could be a competent Oline.

If Burrow makes it through this season without being hurt or turning into David Carr then it'll be a miracle, but hey atleast we got Sample and a 5-6th WR in the 2nd the last couple years while addressing our most glaring issues by signing a career backup and rolling with what we had knowing how bad they were.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, I remember the Jets game in 2016 where Dalton got sacked like 7x. It’s been a problem for years, and it’s getting really old.

Ah yes, the beginning of the shell shock for poor ol Andy. He got sacked, what, 8 times against Pitt last year? I remember him throwing his helmet at the water cooler. I had never seen that before. The line has been going down hill since the end of 2015 with no end in sight.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 10:05 AM)Cicero Wrote: Agreed. A lot of it is just rookie qb making rookie mistakes and the kind of errors you'd expect with no preseason and an abbreviated off season. Bobby Hart looked lost against Bosa to say the least. It concerns me that his struggles could get our shiny new qb hurt during his developmental year.   
I don't see Hart keeping his position for long.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 02:44 PM)McC Wrote: I don't see Hart keeping his position for long.

I wish I believed that. Not only does he have Tuner in his corner, but the FO seems to like him for some inexplicable reason. I fear we’re stuck with him.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 02:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wish I believed that. Not only does he have Tuner in his corner, but the FO seems to like him for some inexplicable reason. I fear we’re stuck with him.

IMO, Hart gets no more than one more chance to get it together.  Whatever loyalty they might have to him is more than trumped by the loyalty they have to giving their prized QB a chance to succeed.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
How about having a TO left with 10 minutes to go in a game?
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 05:04 AM)Tony Wrote: Patience? Are you kidding? They haven't won a playoff game in 30 years..

I was talking about having a little more patience with Taylor and the current roster. I know we haven't won a playoff game in 29 years against a team that no longer exist and our head coach at that time is now dead, but thanks for the history lesson there buddy. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Driving back from Florida yesterday, I spent a lot of time of Sirius NFL radio. Some people on here are criticizing Tatlor for play calling in this game. I'm here to tell you he was roundly praised on the radio by numerous talking heads, including Kirwin and Kelly, who broke down the number of short passes to the right, runs, etc., and said it was a perfect game plan and play calling for a rookie QB's first game to get his feet under him. They were saying Burrow was showing he belongs and will develop quickly. I think Brady actually had a worse game.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 02:51 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: How about having a TO left with 10 minutes to go in a game?

Rookie QB needs more TO's. So are you not going to call one and let a play go so you can have it later? 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 11:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Rookie QB needs more TO's. So are you not going to call one and let a play go so you can have it later? 

Has ZT been completely perfect according to you? You were defending everything he did last season too...

Reply/Quote
Would any record this year other than 0-16 make M. brown contemplate firing ZT? Doubt it.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 12:54 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Would any record this year other than 0-16 make M. brown contemplate firing ZT? Doubt it.

It's not just about the record when it comes to Mike Brown. If the record is bad and there are little to no excuses (like massive amounts of injuries, for example), then I think ZT could potentially be fired after 3 wins or less. 

That said, I don't think Mike is really running the team anymore. I think he likes to still give his input, but I believe he's turned the team over to Katie. Just hasn't said publicly until they're actually good (or he's dead) so he can give her credit and take the blame for if they're not good.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 11:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Rookie QB needs more TO's. So are you not going to call one and let a play go so you can have it later? 

Yes.

We're burned one timeout while we were in goal line defense.  We burned another when we facing 3rd and 2 and were already in field goal range, only to call a deep pass down the sideline.

You need to save timeouts for late in the game.  Burning through them and calling luxury timeouts puts you into the position we just saw.  Having to spike the ball and waste a down, having to kick a field goal early rather than run another play.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 12:59 PM)PhilHos Wrote: It's not just about the record when it comes to Mike Brown. If the record is bad and there are little to no excuses (like massive amounts of injuries, for example), then I think ZT could potentially be fired after 3 wins or less. 

That said, I don't think Mike is really running the team anymore. I think he likes to still give his input, but I believe he's turned the team over to Katie. Just hasn't said publicly until they're actually good (or he's dead) so he can give her credit and take the blame for if they're not good.

But with that thinking did Marvin have an excuse for that many years? Big Grin I can't go that far back and remember...the times...blocked them out I think.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 01:39 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: But with that thinking did Marvin have an excuse for that many years? Big Grin I can't go that far back and remember...the times...blocked them out I think.

Pretty much, yeah, he did. Heck, his last year with us the excuse for keeping him was Mike Brown wanted "stability".
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 01:59 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Pretty much, yeah, he did. Heck, his last year with us the excuse for keeping him was Mike Brown wanted "stability".

The other excuse was every coach not named Marvin Lewis seems to get 2-3 wins per season under Mike Brown.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 12:54 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Would any record this year other than 0-16 make M. brown contemplate firing ZT? Doubt it.

IDK.  I wonder what happens if Joe Brady has a decent year in Carolina and Zac fails to win 6 here.  

I have to think that would get the discussion started.

On the other hand, the family has invested heavily in letting Zac build a roster.  Moreso than with almost any coach they've ever had.  I have a hard time seeing them punting on him as the guy after 2 seasons, one of them basically being a throw-away.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 02:45 PM)jason Wrote: The other excuse was every coach not named Marvin Lewis seems to get 2-3 wins per season under Mike Brown.

That's actually a valid observation.  If memory serves, only Marvin Lewis and Forrest Gregg had overall winning records as head coach of the Bengals.  Not even Sam Wyche or Paul Brown did that.  Forrest was a tough guy but what made Marvin *GASP!* a winner?  Despite the lack of playoff success I give Marvin much credit for getting the Bengals into the post-season seven times including the amazing "five in a row."

Was it the quarterback?  I don't think so.  Of the six full seasons Carson Palmer started the Bengals made the playoffs twice.  That's one for three.  Of the nine full seasons Andy Dalton started the Bengals made the playoffs five times.  Thats five for nine; just over half.  Maybe the Marvin and Andy combination was more effective at least during the regular season.

What did the Bengals have from 2009-2015 when they made the playoffs every year but one?  A defense!  Whether run by Mike Zimmer or Paul Guenther, the defense was far better than any time in the rest of the Marvin Lewis years.  From 2003 - 2007, the defense was very bad.  When Mike Zimmer came things changed quickly.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 01:03 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Yes.

We're burned one timeout while we were in goal line defense.  We burned another when we facing 3rd and 2 and were already in field goal range, only to call a deep pass down the sideline.

You need to save timeouts for late in the game.  Burning through them and calling luxury timeouts puts you into the position we just saw.  Having to spike the ball and waste a down, having to kick a field goal early rather than run another play.

I totally agree. I was bitching and complaining when he took those time outs. There is no reason to put Burrow in a situation where he has no time outs and needing to move down the length of the field in about 2 min. That's way too much to put on him. It would be different if we were up by 3 scores, which we didn't even score that in the whole game. I don't see any coach worth their salt calling a TO in those situations when the game is so close.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 11:47 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Has ZT been completely perfect according to you? You were defending everything he did last season too...

Perfect? No. But not near as bad as some make him out to be. And for the record, I'm on record saying he needs to let the OC call plays and focus on being HC.....
Reply/Quote