Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
C A L M down.
(09-08-2019, 10:43 PM)jason Wrote: Shawn Williams basically allowed Tyler Lockett's TD I think too.

I loved the way the D looked in general though. Especially the line.

Yes - IF we can get that type of pressure all year, we should atleast be competitive. Not ready to say 10 wins yet though.
Reply/Quote
I didn't know what to expect going into this game. In Seattle, new staff, seemed like it would be a tough game. I was prepared for a loss, but I was impressed with how we were in this game until the very last play. 

Aside from DreK penalty, we played disciplined football all day. That's an improvement. Game management was improved. Aggressive at the end of the half? Check. What about Capt. Lou's unit? Same personnel, WAY different results. Had a couple bad TOs, a questionable one to end the game, and a missed FG. Those and the lack of run game were the only negatives other than the one point loss.

This looked like a different team. Seattle is the type of team that would have beat the shit out of us last year. Dalton has command of this offense, and how about JR's coming out party? Plenty to clean up, but plenty to build on too. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Did it look different? Or did it look like the team that was 4-1 last year at the start before injuries?

Our offense was playing really well then.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 11:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Did it look different? Or did it look like the team that was 4-1 last year at the start before injuries?

That team gave up a ****ton of yards (and points) last year; they gave up SIGNIFICANTLY less yards today and league average points.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 11:27 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That team gave up a ****ton of yards (and points) last year; they gave up SIGNIFICANTLY less yards today and league average points.

I also don’t remember many 3 and outs (for the bengals anyway). Last year, even when we were scoring there were plenty of those and stretches of games where the offense couldn’t move the ball. Very hot and cold.

Today, even though we only got 20 points (against a good D), I felt like they were still moving the ball every time out there. This gives me more confidence in the offense’s staying power and will make life much easier on the D if they keep it up all year
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 11:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Did it look different? Or did it look like the team that was 4-1 last year at the start before injuries?

(09-08-2019, 11:27 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That team gave up a ****ton of yards (and points) last year; they gave up SIGNIFICANTLY less yards today and league average points.

Yeah, I agree about our O last season, but like Truck says, our D looked light years better. Dalton never threw for 400 yards before today. Ross has 210 yds last season, he had almost 150 today. It helps losing the knuckleheads, but the team played more disciplined for the most part too. Really, the PF on Dre should have been offsetting, but Dre has to just walk on. Still, aside from a missed assignment here and there, the team "did their job". They had a killer mentality out there today too. Just had a different vibe to it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Any false starts today? I don't remember any.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:21 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I think the Browns were definitely underwhelming today but I still feel like they're gonna be dangerous down the road and it's only Week 1 but I can see us stealing a game at home to end the regular season.

Oh, don't get me wrong, they're talented. But 18 penalties is alarming, and it wasn't all small penalties either. It was a personal foul fiesta (6?!) for them today, and that just reeks of a lack of overall discipline. Hell, Greg Robinson kicked Kenny Vaccaro in the head! Even Vontaze didn't go THAT far. And we've all seen firsthand how things go for a talented and undisciplined team (sadly). I don't expect either of the games against the Browns to be walks in the park like they have been for *checks watch* most of the last 20 years, but I don't think Cleveland is anywhere near the juggernaut that the media and Browns fans made them out to be.

They didn't just copy our shade of orange, they decided to copy our old blueprint of "Insanely talented, undisciplined, will wilt when the pressure is turned up" as well.  I know it's only week 1, and there's plenty of games left, but a 30 point loss at home losing in the way they did is telling. 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 11:37 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Any false starts today? I don't remember any.

None.

Hart held his own
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 11:45 PM)Ravage Wrote: Oh, don't get me wrong, they're talented. But 18 penalties is alarming, and it wasn't all small penalties either. It was a personal foul fiesta (6?!) for them today, and that just reeks of a lack of overall discipline. Hell, Greg Robinson kicked Kenny Vaccaro in the head! Even Vontaze didn't go THAT far. And we've all seen firsthand how things go for a talented and undisciplined team (sadly). I don't expect either of the games against the Browns to be walks in the park like they have been for *checks watch* most of the last 20 years, but I don't think Cleveland is anywhere near the juggernaut that the media and Browns fans made them out to be.

They didn't just copy our shade of orange, they decided to copy our old blueprint of "Insanely talented, undisciplined, will wilt when the pressure is turned up" as well.  I know it's only week 1, and there's plenty of games left, but a 30 point loss at home losing in the way they did is telling. 

Everyone was saying that our inexperienced young head coach wasn't ready for the big time. They were looking at the wrong Ohio team.
Reply/Quote

(09-08-2019, 11:34 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I also don’t remember many 3 and outs (for the bengals anyway). Last year, even when we were scoring there were plenty of those and stretches of games where the offense couldn’t move the ball. Very hot and cold.

Today, even though we only got 20 points (against a good D), I felt like they were still moving the ball every time out there. This gives me more confidence in the offense’s staying power and will make life much easier on the D if they keep it up all year

Getting off the field on 3rd down was huuuuuuuuuge. 

Seattle was only 4/12 there. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 11:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Did it look different? Or did it look like the team that was 4-1 last year at the start before injuries?

You're doing the same thing you did with the "Taylor had the 123 ranked offense...". Just looking at the bottom line number. 

Yes, the offense is similar in numbers but the scheme is completely different. They were without AJ and they passed for over 400 with Ross having a monster game. For playing in Seattle, they didn't have a ton of pre-snap penalties (like they did with Marv) and they didn't go through timeouts like a fish goes through water but they did let the play clock wind down probably more than they normally would have liked. They did all that without a running game. 

The defense was way more aggressive and played fast. They were 4-1 last year but the defense was epically bad from the get go. 

So no, it's not like last year's start.

#Lrn2context

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 12:05 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: ...and they didn't go through timeouts like a fish goes through water but they did let the play clock wind down probably more than they normally would have liked. 

To be fair, that early second half timeout to save the delay of game ended up costing them big time. They needed it.

Oh well!
Reply/Quote
Bengals were a missed 45 yd FG in a deluge away from upsetting SEA in a place they hadnt lost a home opener since 08....without our WR1 or our starting LT. I thought they played surprisingly well. I am optomistic going forward.

The thing it reinforced though was just how bad the coaching has been before ZT. We did this with essentially the same personnel on D as last yr.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 12:09 AM)NKURyan Wrote: To be fair, that early second half timeout to save the delay of game ended up costing them big time. They needed it.

Oh well!

I was impressed with their pace in the PS. They weren't quite as good today but that's to be expected in Seattle. 

Reply/Quote
They showed heart out there against a hostile crowd, an elite QB, and an elite HC.  Today was promising and I hope that they keep their heads up and keep rolling with a similar mentality late into the season.  I hope that ZT and crew keep it up, even after other coaches start to attack tendencies.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 11:35 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yeah, I agree about our O last season, but like Truck says, our D looked light years better. Dalton never threw for 400 yards before today. Ross has 210 yds last season, he had almost 150 today. It helps losing the knuckleheads, but the team played more disciplined for the most part too. Really, the PF on Dre should have been offsetting, but Dre has to just walk on. Still, aside from a missed assignment here and there, the team "did their job". They had a killer mentality out there today too. Just had a different vibe to it.

The defense is gonna get a huge test with George Kittle coming in. Seattle doesn't have very good TEs. We held up against a good running team today. Let's see how they do against their other traditional weakness... TEs.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 12:38 AM)jason Wrote: The defense is gonna get a huge test with George Kittle coming in. Seattle doesn't have very good TEs. We held up against a good running team today. Let's see how they do against their other traditional weakness... TEs.

If they can pressure Jimmy G as much as they did Wilson, it’ll sure as hell help.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 12:38 AM)jason Wrote: The defense is gonna get a huge test with George Kittle coming in. Seattle doesn't have very good TEs. We held up against a good running team today. Let's see how they do against their other traditional weakness... TEs.

I would think it'd be easier to cover him considering SF's wide receiving corp, but I'll admit I'm not necessarily up on my 49er knowledge.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 12:54 AM)NKURyan Wrote: I would think it'd be easier to cover him considering SF's wide receiving corp, but I'll admit I'm not necessarily up on my 49er knowledge.

They have a couple of fast sorta noname WRs... Then Tevin Coleman, and Matt Breida. Jimmy G is no Russell Wilson.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote