Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB Zyon McCollum, Sam Houston State, our pick at #62
I know you are thinking "too small a school", but you need to read about this guy and watch some of his film. No, I am not so nuts as to be scouting Sam Houston State, but one of the guys on "Locked On Bengals" was touting this guy as a developmental CB and I started to dig in to him. Wow. Freak athlete (and the projection of the top freak athletes in the NFL as DBs actually has a good track record) that could learn behind Apple and get some valuable snaps as a rookie.

This will be tough for some to swallow, but I could see him as our pick at #62. If they get the penetrating 3T in round 1 like Logan Hall, this CB could still be there in round 2 and be a huge grab for the Bengals. Something absurd like over 50 PBUs in his college career? And that is with teams knowing not to challenge him. Insane.

https://nflmocks.com/2022/04/15/2022-nfl-draft-profile-zyon-mccollum-defensive-back-sam-houston-state/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes, I'm a fan of McCollum.
If we can't get Elam with the first pick, then he's my backup pick.
Reply/Quote
I can be on board with McCollum if the following CBs are off the board:
Stingley
Gardner
McDuffie
Elam
Booth
Gordon
McCreary
Woolen

I may also throw Cameron Taylor-Britt into that above list, but I could go either way.

I do think McCollum has a lot of potential, but there's still going to be some level of an adjustment going from FCS to NFL.
The above guys might be able to contribute sooner on defense than McCollum will.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I love Mcollum but think he may be there in 3. If the Bengals ultimately said he’s our guy at 63 I would have a hard time complaining unless somebody else dropped to that spot and we passed.

Thing with him is, if we draft him I’d definitely want to double down again at CB later in the draft. I like the idea of taking 2 CB’s in this deep class anyway but if we go with a small school guy like him I’d like to take a flier on another one to increase our odds of hitting on at least one.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2022, 10:40 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I love Mcollum but think he may be there in 3. If the Bengals ultimately said he’s our guy at 63 I would have a hard time complaining unless somebody else dropped to that spot and we passed.

Thing with him is, if we draft him I’d definitely want to double down again at CB later in the draft. I like the idea of taking 2 CB’s in this deep class anyway but if we go with a small school guy like him I’d like to take a flier on another one to increase our odds of hitting on at least one.

Excellent chance of a double dip at CB.  I could see the first three picks being all defense:  DT, CB, and S (in that order).  I first three rounds of Logan Hall, McCollum, and Cook would look very nice.  I think WR and TE can be addressed on day 3. 
Reply/Quote
Interesting guy. Heard an interview with Dane Brugler on HTPG where he had offers to bigger schools but went to Sam Houston so he and his twin brother could play on the same team
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2022, 08:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know you are thinking "too small a school", but you need to read about this guy and watch some of his film.  No, I am not so nuts as to be scouting Sam Houston State, but one of the guys on "Locked On Bengals" was touting this guy as a developmental CB and I started to dig in to him.  Wow.  Freak athlete (and the projection of the top freak athletes in the NFL as DBs actually has a good track record) that could learn behind Apple and get some valuable snaps as a rookie.  

This will be tough for some to swallow, but I could see him as our pick at #62.  If they get the penetrating 3T in round 1 like Logan Hall, this CB could still be there in round 2 and be a huge grab for the Bengals.  Something absurd like over 50 PBUs in his college career?  And that is with teams knowing not to challenge him.  Insane.  

https://nflmocks.com/2022/04/15/2022-nfl-draft-profile-zyon-mccollum-defensive-back-sam-houston-state/

Thanks for this, wow, really like this Zyon McCollum kid after this. First I have heard of him Racer. Sounds like the perfect Corner
to learn behind Awuzie and Apple. Could be the diamond in the rough of this Corner class for all we know. I like the name too.

Zyon McCollum, another Zion I now like in this Draft lol
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2022, 11:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Excellent chance of a double dip at CB.  I could see the first three picks being all defense:  DT, CB, and S (in that order).  I first three rounds of Logan Hall, McCollum, and Cook would look very nice.  I think WR and TE can be addressed on day 3. 

Nice, would love that Draft honestly. Man, the D would be stacked. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2022, 01:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks for this, wow, really like this Zyon McCollum kid after this. First I have heard of him Racer. Sounds like the perfect Corner
to learn behind Awuzie and Apple. Could be the diamond in the rough of this Corner class for all we know. I like the name too.

McCollum was a 3 year team captain and is all about the team. We talked to him at the combine. He had the fastest shuttle and 3 cone of anybody at the combine this year. 3.94 shuttle and 6.48 3 cone. He had offers from Texas and Texas Tech and Stanford but wanted to play with his brother.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2022, 04:59 PM)pulses Wrote: McCollum was a 3 year team captain and is all about the team. We talked to him at the combine. He had the fastest shuttle and 3 cone of anybody at the combine this year. 3.94 shuttle and 6.48 3 cone. He had offers from Texas and Texas Tech and Stanford but wanted to play with his brother.

Nice, thanks Pulses. Sounds like a perfect fit for us the more I hear about McCollum. Would love this guy at 63 now.

Wild it has taken this long for us to find this guy, less than a week away from the Draft and I think this guy is the most likely at 63
now knowing that he was a Captain to boot. We love our Captains. Fills our biggest need to go along with everything else mentioned
in this thread.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2022, 05:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice, thanks Pulses. Sounds like a perfect fit for us the more I hear about McCollum. Would love this guy at 63 now.

Wild it has taken this long for us to find this guy, less than a week away from the Draft and I think this guy is the most likely at 63
now knowing that he was a Captain to boot. We love our Captains. Fills our biggest need to go along with everything else mentioned
in this thread.

I've known about him for a while but the last couple weeks he has been shooting up draft boards once he showed out at the combine and people have talked to him. He needs to get a little stronger and better on his tackling but we can fix that.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2022, 01:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks for this, wow, really like this Zyon McCollum kid after this. First I have heard of him Racer. Sounds like the perfect Corner

Haha, a Zion, Zion first two rounds.  Could there be a third Zion for round 3?  And you thought we just liked Johnsons and Samples.  
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 11:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Haha, a Zion, Zion first two rounds.  Could there be a third Zion for round 3?  And you thought we just liked Johnsons and Samples.  

Pretty sure there is an ot from Miami fl named Zion Nelson. Get the first two and he becomes a priority day 3 pick for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 11:23 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Pretty sure there is an ot from Miami fl named Zion Nelson.  Get the first two and he becomes a priority day 3 pick for us

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 11:23 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Pretty sure there is an ot from Miami fl named Zion Nelson.  Get the first two and he becomes a priority day 3 pick for us

Lol, he's actually an intriguing player....but he decided to not enter this year's draft; maybe next year tho  Tongue
Reply/Quote
McCollum would be the 11th or 12th CB I'd take (Stingley, Gardner, McDuffie, Elam, Booth, Gordon, McCreary, Taylor-Britt, Emerson, Bryant, maybe Woolen) and I would not do it in the 2nd round. He's a project from a small school whose tape doesn't really match up with his athleticism.
I don't mind picks like that in the late 3rd round and on, but spending a 2nd round pick on him would be risky.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 04:16 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Lol, he's actually an intriguing player....but he decided to not enter this year's draft; maybe next year tho  Tongue

I missed that, thanks for the heads up. It seems like one of the draft simulators I use still has him in there

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 11:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Haha, a Zion, Zion first two rounds.  Could there be a third Zion for round 3?  And you thought we just liked Johnsons and Samples.  

Zyon Gilbert CB prob late day 3 UDFA guy
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 04:49 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: McCollum would be the 11th or 12th CB I'd take (Stingley, Gardner, McDuffie, Elam, Booth, Gordon, McCreary, Taylor-Britt, Emerson, Bryant, maybe Woolen) and I would not do it in the 2nd round. He's a project from a small school whose tape doesn't really match up with his athleticism.
I don't mind picks like that in the late 3rd round and on, but spending a 2nd round pick on him would be risky.

That's hilarious.  Where did you read that?  Because he had something ridiculous like 56 PBUs.  His tape was incredible, as was his testing.  The only knock is he went to a small school and he actually was awarded a scholarship to Utah (known as a good defensive team) but went to Sam Houston so he could go to the same school as his twin brother. 

Guys like Stingley, Gardner, McDuffie, Elam, Gordon and maybe Taylor-Britt...sure.  Not so sure about the others.  Not a fan of Booth other than his amazing tackling and overall toughness.  
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2022, 07:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That's hilarious.  Where did you read that?  Because he had something ridiculous like 56 PBUs.  His tape was incredible, as was his testing.  The only knock is he went to a small school and he actually was awarded a scholarship to Utah (known as a good defensive team) but went to Sam Houston so he could go to the same school as his twin brother. 

Guys like Stingley, Gardner, McDuffie, Elam, Gordon and maybe Taylor-Britt...sure.  Not so sure about the others.  Not a fan of Booth other than his amazing tackling and overall toughness.  

I didn't say he wasn't productive. I said his tape does not match his athletic numbers. Always be skeptical of off season risers due to workout numbers. I personally prefer using athletic testing to drop a player down the board rather than raise them up the board.

If a player is really fast or really agile, it should be really evident by watching them, but that wasn't really the case with McCollum. People were surprised by his athletic numbers because they were unexpected.

One thing you don't want to do is overdraft a player based on what he does in shorts. We've seen that mistake made too many times in the NFL (and it might happen again this year at the #1 overall pick).
Reply/Quote