Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBS Sports Mock Draft: Bengals take Baker Mayfield
(12-13-2017, 03:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm trying to keep an open mind about replacing Andy, in case a new coach wants to do so, but I keep seeing reports like this:

Is this the guy who ran from police and points at his crotch on the field?

My favorite part about that is a lot of the stuff that are negatives about Mayfield are some of the exact same issues people have with Dalton and use as reasoning as to why they want to replace him. You just can't make this shit up! McCarron was compared to Dalton by everyone. His ceiling is considered Dalton. Now Mayfield is questioned on arm strength, pocket presence, and being undersized. Sounds like things that are brought up in every replace Dalton thread. I love Bengals fans.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 05:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: QB is the face of your franchise. How many QB's in the NFL do you see acting a fool like that? 

How many have stories of them running from police? How many point at their junk after a big play? C'mon now.

Lol cmon man. Brady was just caught on tape the other weekend verbally assaulting his offensive coordinator on the sidelines. 

He was a college kid that made a dumb decision, it was 1/10th of what Mixon did. It was pretty much harmless. 

All the on the field stuff is just competitiveness and I love it. He has some Phillip Rivers in him. He gives a shit and wants to win.  
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 05:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: I don't think it's that dumb, but to each his own.  Dude has some maturity issues to overcome, and I hope he does.  Manziel got a lot of that baggage in the pros.  Maybe if he had gone to a better organization to help guide him, he could have turned out better.  I don't have that much faith in this clown show, so Baker would have to make those gains on his own.

There are some other QBs I'd be interested in, but Mayfield may not be best suited HERE.  

FWIW, I predicted Manziel's swift fall before he was drafted.....not that I'm Nostradamus or anything.....but Mayfield gives me a lot of the same reserves I had about Fartball.

My bad, I shouldnt have said they are dumb. I think they are lazy.  
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 05:20 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: My bad, I shouldnt have said they are dumb. I think they are lazy.  

No worries man....to each their own.  He does have a lot of moxy, but I feel he's gonna need to rein some of his actions in and buckle down, or he could wash out.  Just my opinion on the matter.....and differing opinions are what makes the place go 'round!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I talked about this in the Draft Board.

Unless the plan is to trade Dalton away for some draft picks and basically go into rebuild mode, they're not going to draft a QB high. It's just not going to happen. This team doesn't have the luxury of time or talent to draft a QB in the top 10 and then sit him behind Dalton for another couple of years. So unless the next head coach convinces Mike Brown to part ways with Dalton (doubtful), he's our guy. If anything, they'll take a mid-late round QB if McCarron wins his case and is a free agent after this season.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 05:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Lol cmon man. Brady was just caught on tape the other weekend verbally assaulting his offensive coordinator on the sidelines. 

He was a college kid that made a dumb decision, it was 1/10th of what Mixon did. It was pretty much harmless. 

All the on the field stuff is just competitiveness and I love it. He has some Phillip Rivers in him. He gives a shit and wants to win.  

To each their own. Brady yelling at his coach has happened with 2 different OC's now. O'Brien and McDaniels. You can chalk that up to passion and heat of the moment. The guy is serious about football. I've never seen he or Rivers do something so childish as point at their junk on the field. That reminds me of Manziel flipping the other team off in preseason. It's a maturity issue. 

Not many QB's are running from police either.

The Mixon comparison is irrelevant to me. Again, QB's are the face of their respective franchises and you rarely see off-field behavior like that from a QB. Other positions, sure...the NFL is loaded with bad dudes. Not at QB though. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
We can all argue Mayfield all we want, but I think we all know that the Bengals are drafting a QB. They are going to ride with Dalton until the wheels fall off.

Hell they kept a mediocre coach who didnt win a playoff game for 15 years. Why would Dalton be any different?
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 05:36 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We can all argue Mayfield all we want, but I think we all know that the Bengals are drafting a QB. They are going to ride with Dalton until the wheels fall off.

Hell they kept a mediocre coach who didnt win a playoff game for 15 years. Why would Dalton be any different?

I actually like Pat's suggestion.....get a guy like Allen to sit and learn, when Dalton's contract is up in 2 years, if the kid beats him out (or even before then), you've not lost money......unless you trade him beforehand.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 05:36 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We can all argue Mayfield all we want, but I think we all know that the Bengals are drafting a QB. They are going to ride with Dalton until the wheels fall off.

I have no problem moving on from Dalton if it's for a better QB. The funny thing is wanting to replace him with a QB that has the same issues that people use as reasoning to want to replace Dalton. Also, people are willing to give other players a chance under new coaching to see if they improve. For some reason, Dalton doesn't get that same benefit of the doubt. With a better head coach and OC, Dalton may return to his 2015 form. We just don't know.

My thoughts are simply that McCarron and Mayfield are not better than Dalton. If we draft someone for Dalton to groom or if we find someone that is an upgrade, go for it. Just replacing Dalton to replace doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 05:01 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: So based on that logic, Joe Flacco (.602) is better than Drew Brees (502). 

OK. 

Did you hear that? That was the sound of my point flying over your head. It's not about who is better. It's about who WINS. Dalton is the 6th winningest QB among active QBs. And people are EAGER to get rid of him.

(12-13-2017, 05:24 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I talked about this in the Draft Board.

Unless the plan is to trade Dalton away for some draft picks and basically go into rebuild mode, they're not going to draft a QB high.  It's just not going to happen.  This team doesn't have the luxury of time or talent to draft a QB in the top 10 and then sit him behind Dalton for another couple of years.  So unless the next head coach convinces Mike Brown to part ways with Dalton (doubtful), he's our guy.  If anything, they'll take a mid-late round QB if McCarron wins his case and is a free agent after this season.

This. As Shake said, I'm not opposed to getting a new BETTER QB.

I think it depends on the new HC. If he's smart and wants to win, he'll stick with Dalton. If he cares more about his legacy, yeah, he'll try to convince Mike to part ways.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 03:27 PM)bengalsturntup5532 Wrote: Please I wish!!! Mayfield is ten times better then Dalton and ten times more confident and passionate about winning. Watch he's going to beat georgia,the guy is a winner and the next star qb.

I guess but Mayfield looks to go the way of manziel and would be a complete waste of a pick
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 05:41 PM)Wyche Wrote: I actually like Pat's suggestion.....get a guy like Allen to sit and learn, when Dalton's contract is up in 2 years, if the kid beats him out (or even before then), you've not lost money......unless you trade him beforehand.

Daltons contract is now at the point where there is little to no dead money if we moved on... Which is perfect for a new coach..

But you would think Dalton would be a better bet to get you off the ground and going season 1 of your coaching career than a rookie.

Dalton can make the plays we have seen that... coaching and playcalling has to get better to allow them to succeed...  Whats the difference between Dalton 2015 and Dalton 2017

Whos calling the plays and setting the scheme.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 05:41 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I have no problem moving on from Dalton if it's for a better QB. The funny thing is wanting to replace him with a QB that has the same issues that people use as reasoning to want to replace Dalton. Also, people are willing to give other players a chance under new coaching to see if they improve. For some reason, Dalton doesn't get that same benefit of the doubt. With a better head coach and OC, Dalton may return to his 2015 form. We just don't know.

My thoughts are simply that McCarron and Mayfield are not better than Dalton. If we draft someone for Dalton to groom or if we find someone that is an upgrade, go for it. Just replacing Dalton to replace doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

[Image: TameFrankEagle-small.gif]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 05:48 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Daltons contract is now at the point where there is little to no dead money if we moved on... Which is perfect for a new coach..

But you would think Dalton would be a better bet to get you off the ground and going season 1 of your coaching career than a rookie.

Dalton can make the plays we have seen that... coaching and playcalling has to get better to allow them to succeed...  Whats the difference between Dalton 2015 and Dalton 2017

Whos calling the plays and setting the scheme.

I agree.....didn't remember the details of the contract though.  Either way, his deal is up in 2 years, IIRC, so grooming a good prospect seems like a good idea.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 05:50 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree.....didn't remember the details of the contract though.  Either way, his deal is up in 2 years, IIRC, so grooming a good prospect seems like a good idea.

I believe if I remember correctly all gaurenteed money was paid out over the first 3 years allowing the bengals no dead cap if they moved on from there.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 04:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yup, that's the one I saw.

In today's NFL, the Louisville QB would be better.

But in my opinion it is more stupidity to draft  a QB in first three rounds unless and until they address their o line.

Zeke Elliott is great but one reason why he is great is because the Cowboys invested high draft picks on linemen including a first round center

I expect that the Cowboys will re-sign these premier interior linemen when their first contract is up even though they all are not left tackles.

In other words, the Cowboys won't refuse to resign a great center or guard because they only think left tackles are worthy of a big second contract.

If Dalton had a great O line he would be a top 10 QB- but that is assuming he does not now suffer from post-ttraumatic Bungalized syndrome.
Reply/Quote
The only QB I'd want to sit and grow would be Josh Allen. The others are gonna be gone by the time we are on the board, and if I'm a GM, I'm willing to pass on Mayfield because of his actions. Dude is just immature. Sure, he's a winner, but how are his antics going to sway him when he is losing?

He also has no physical traits that stand out. And don't give me the Drew Brees comparison, because he hasn't earned it.

If he turns out great, then good for him. But right now I'd like to see him in the CFB playoffs facing some great defenses, and then I can think more on if the Bengals should even CONSIDER him.

Also: The Bengals have bigger needs right now. If Nelson is on the board, I wouldn't pass on him for a second. Same goes for Fitzpatrick from Bama (who will be gone sadly.. dang those Bengals and winning a few more games!)
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 03:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I really think a new coach could bring in their own QB.

That said...we'll be picking about the 3rd or 4th QB drafted. The odds of that guy being a star are extremely low...and it's going to take atleast 2 years to get him some seasoning...so you enter rebuilding.

With Atkins, Dunlap, and Green al around 30 years old...by the time the QB was good...they'd be on the decline.

It just wouldn't make sense.

Maybe but Deshaun Watson was the 3rd QB taken this year and came in to make the Texans a Super Bowl team before the injury.

I don't want a QB but lets not pretend a rookie can't come in ready to go, I think sometimes just a change at the position can rejuvenate a team that feels trapped with a QB that is not elite.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 06:11 PM)thillan Wrote: The only QB I'd want to sit and grow would be Josh Allen. The others are gonna be gone by the time we are on the board, and if I'm a GM, I'm willing to pass on Mayfield because of his actions. Dude is just immature. Sure, he's a winner, but how are his antics going to sway him when he is losing?

He also has no physical traits that stand out. And don't give me the Drew Brees comparison, because he hasn't earned it.

If he turns out great, then good for him. But right now I'd like to see him in the CFB playoffs facing some great defenses, and then I can think more on if the Bengals should even CONSIDER him.

Also: The Bengals have bigger needs right now. If Nelson is on the board, I wouldn't pass on him for a second. Same goes for Fitzpatrick from Bama (who will be gone sadly.. dang those Bengals and winning a few more games!)

Mayfield is a bit immature i agree with that, but he can run, he has physical traits and he beat the Buckeyes who
most would consider a very good to great college Defense. The guy just makes plays and i can definately understand
why a QB needy team would want him.

The thing is, we are not a QB needy team, we are an O-line needy team. Quentin Nelson, Connor Williams or Billy
Price need to be the pick if we don't address OL in FA.
Reply/Quote
Im done with Bengals fans ,I won't be back here,I'll stick to goodberry on twitter . But people on these boards and Facebook are complete idiots. All you hear here is we need to draft 3 o lineman back to back. And people saying they'd take blandy over Mayfield. By skill alone Mayfield blows blandy away. We will never win with dalton point blank , he's a waste of years on everyone's life except for his worshippers that just love to see the guy throw.
Reply/Quote