Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trial for Ahmaud Arbery's Killers
(11-24-2021, 09:15 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I think the Mcmichael's weren't arrested initially because they had deep ties with the police department. I don't think it had anything to do with race, but with the fact that there is corruption in the branch trying to save their own (former cop).

Yea, I think the ties was the biggest reason, though I would also assume that the racial component was at the very least a subconscious bias influencing how some in power viewed the victim's innocence/guilt when they took action to shield the murderers. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 03:58 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Looks like another jury got it right. Based on evidence and facts, not politics.

It took "politics" to get the case to trial though, right? 
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 04:07 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yea, I think the ties was the biggest reason, though I would also assume that the racial component was at the very least a subconscious bias influencing how some in power viewed the victim's innocence/guilt when they took action to shield the murderers. 

Racist police and prosecutors in the south?  I had no idea!  Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 06:15 PM)Dill Wrote: It took "politics" to get the case to trial though, right? 

That's what im seeing.  We agree these guys got the verdict they deserved, yet protest was required to even get a trial going?  This seems to justify left wing ire and whining, if anything.  

Not a good look for those who champion the fairness and competence of the system.  
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2021, 04:07 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yea, I think the ties was the biggest reason, though I would also assume that the racial component was at the very least a subconscious bias influencing how some in power viewed the victim's innocence/guilt when they took action to shield the murderers. 

Possibly a network of good 'ol boys was covering or minimizing for one of their own. Perhaps they regarded the killing as a "mistake" caused by good intentions. I still doubt that the perps would have felt so empowered to chase down a white man as they did Arbery. 

There is a good article in the NYT about the prosecutor's decision to minimize race in the trial, for fear of alienating jurors.
Fighting Racism, Quietly  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/30/briefing/ahmaud-arbery-race-american-politics.html

The most effective way to achieve racial justice can sometimes be to downplay race.

That may seem like a counterintuitive idea. And it can certainly feel unsatisfying to people who are committed to reducing the toll of racism in the United States. But it is one of the lessons of the murder convictions last week of three white men in Georgia, in the killing of Ahmaud Arbery, a 25-year-old Black man.

Before the verdicts, some observers criticized the strategy, saying that Dunikoski was weakening her case by ignoring the defendants’ motive. “There were a lot of people who thought that it should have been very central to her argument,” said The Times’s Richard Fausset, who covered the killing and the trial. One law professor accused Dunikoski of “whitewashing” the facts. Another professor said that her strategy would be blamed if the defendants were acquitted.

No doubt, it would have been. Dunikoski was deliberately leaving out a big part of the story. But she was doing so for a reason. (Or so it seems; she has not publicly discussed her strategy.) She evidently believed that emphasizing race would be a gift to the defense.. . .

It could cause the jurors — all but one of whom were white — to retreat to their ideological corners. Conservative jurors would be reminded that they often disagree with allegations of racism. Many political moderates disagree sometimes, too, especially if they’re white. On the other hand, any jurors likely to be appalled by the racial nature of the case — three white men killing a Black man in broad daylight — would recognize the role of race without needing to be told about it.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 10:47 AM)Nately120 Wrote: That's what im seeing.  We agree these guys got the verdict they deserved, yet protest was required to even get a trial going?  This seems to justify left wing ire and whining, if anything.  

Not a good look for those who champion the fairness and competence of the system.  

Makes you wonder about the cases that fly under the press radar, or victims who don't have family to follow up.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 06:51 PM)Dill Wrote: Makes you wonder about the cases that fly under the press radar, or victims who don't have family to follow up.

Or what is going to happen when people who commit criminal acts realize they aren't "doing the right thing" by shooting someone and/or destroying private/government property and stop filming themselves doing it.

In these cases we see people filming themselves committing criminal acts because they are 100% convinced they are following orders or doing the right thing.  It's troubling far beyond the single cases, as far as I see it.
Reply/Quote
Two sentenced to life without chance of parole.  One to life with a chance of parole.

https://www.nbcnews.com/now/video/all-three-men-convicted-of-killing-ahmaud-arbery-sentenced-to-life-in-prison-130383941695

Quote:Superior Court Judge Timothy Walmsley sentenced Travis McMichael and his father, Gregory McMichael, to life in prison without possibility of parole and William "Roddie" Bryan to life in prison with possibility of parole. All three were found guilty in November of the murder and other charges. Judge Walmsley said it was "a killing, it was callous."

Video at the link.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote